Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

muike posted:

the last wish is literally the raid named "the last wish"

If that's true why is there ten thousand increasingly insane posts on Reddit about, uh, *squints* harmonic frequencies from the Vault of Glass? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

yeah, GB has been correcting people on this for like half a decade but the Traveler was never going to be evil in the original conception of the story.

I actually think they’ve done a pretty good job of making it understandably grayish? it has a very human mix of altruism and self-preservation

I agree, and am I misremembering Forsaken? Didn't the Traveler literally speak to the player character, and call you a moron because you didn't take Oryx throne world?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Failson posted:

I agree, and am I misremembering Forsaken? Didn't the Traveler literally speak to the player character, and call you a moron because you didn't take Oryx throne world?

I think that was Toland

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I think that was Toland

Yeah, that was Toland, back in the Taken King lore books, and in several D2 appearances. (Which basically started with D2 Dreaming City shattered/taken realm stuff)

I don't think the Traveler would be happy with the PC taking Oryx's throne world.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Isn't a chekhov gun typically a thing that DOES end up mattering??

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I could see Xivu being the raid boss if we don't off her in some bullshit story mission like her sister or aunt or cousin or whatever in that splicer season that had all the lore nerds butthurt.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
It feels like TFS would be pretty crowded with xivu resolved in there too

This season brought the lucent hive back into the spotlight, as well as Savathun's history with the Veil

Smart money says that next season we're trying to connect with Savathun, and xivu won't be able to resist taking on two enemies at once

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Isn't a chekhov gun typically a thing that DOES end up mattering??

Things included in the narrative SHOULD end up mattering otherwise they shouldn't have been included.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, that’s the basic principle of Chekov’s gun- there should be nothing in the story that doesn’t serve a purpose, so you can conclude conversely that everything in the story will serve a purpose (eventually)

Of course Chekov didn’t consider stories that were continuously written over a period of years by a changing team

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

If that's true why is there ten thousand increasingly insane posts on Reddit about, uh, *squints* harmonic frequencies from the Vault of Glass? Huh.

Ok that’s just sanecoin. And he rocks

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

RBA Starblade posted:

A rare question answered by the question itself.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Destiny 2: There are a million guns, and not one is Chekovs

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Any Destiny related plot theorising with a corkboard and lots of bits of paper connected by string being pointed to by a wide eyed madman with an untucked shirt is wholly incomplete without also drawing in all the Marathon and Pathways Into Darkness lore as well. You have to go full lore black hole.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
you can't forget the myth series and oni, get those in there

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Someone at Bungie fuckin' loves firstly their dualistic cosmology, whether it's Yin and Yang, Zoroastrianism or number of other influences.

There's a lot of White Wolf Werewolf in there too, with a hefty vibe of the Triat - The concept that Wyld, Weaver & Wyrm all exist, and aren't 'Good' or 'Evil' just acting according to their natures, and it's misguided to suppose morality onto them.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Horizon Burning posted:

you can't forget the myth series and oni, get those in there

https://mythipedia.fandom.com/wiki/The_Nine

Hell yeah brother.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

DancingShade posted:

Any Destiny related plot theorising with a corkboard and lots of bits of paper connected by string being pointed to by a wide eyed madman with an untucked shirt is wholly incomplete without also drawing in all the Marathon and Pathways Into Darkness lore as well. You have to go full lore black hole.

Mac, I've been dying to talk to you about the witness

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There’s already a pepe silvia emote so just do that constantly at any NPCs who dare exposit at you

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

haveblue posted:

There’s already a pepe silvia emote so just do that constantly at any NPCs who dare exposit at you

bet i bought that immediately

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, that was Toland, back in the Taken King lore books, and in several D2 appearances. (Which basically started with D2 Dreaming City shattered/taken realm stuff)

I don't think the Traveler would be happy with the PC taking Oryx's throne world.

Was it? I must be misremembering. When you're first unlocking new light sublclasses in Forsaken, you got sent to Io and the tree of silver wings, and a weird, not-Toland voice saying vague destiny-things?

Coulda sworn that was the traveler.

Edit: just imagine the Pepe Silva emote happening as I type this.

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Failson posted:

Was it? I must be misremembering. When you're first unlocking new light sublclasses in Forsaken, you got sent to Io and the tree of silver wings, and a weird, not-Toland voice saying vague destiny-things?

That is called the Feather quest (cause you had to collect feathers to get there), and yes, that was the Traveler talking to us. You didnt go to the tree of silver wings (that was added in Season of Arrivals), but you did wander around Io a bit.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Failson posted:

I barely remember that far back, but I thought the tree of silver wings didn't show up till Arrivals, but I also only started with D2, so the lore was a particularly confusing mess to me.

I'm just under the impression that The Traveler hasn't really spoken to anyone? Like even the Speaker(s) were apparently making poo poo up or something.

In Arrivals, a mysterious voice talked to us a bunch at the tree of silver wings, and I think initially it was unclear who it was, but it was almost certainly The Witness, and they seem like someone who might have brought up the Oryx thing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
How did they go about making flavor text from a D1 exotic a plot point? Was there actually a tree with silver wings?

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

General Battuta posted:

How did they go about making flavor text from a D1 exotic a plot point? Was there actually a tree with silver wings?

In S11 yeah, plus there’s one by the boss in Root of Nightmares.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxyclean posted:

I barely remember that far back, but I thought the tree of silver wings didn't show up till Arrivals, but I also only started with D2, so the lore was a particularly confusing mess to me.

I'm just under the impression that The Traveler hasn't really spoken to anyone? Like even the Speaker(s) were apparently making poo poo up or something.

In Arrivals, a mysterious voice talked to us a bunch at the tree of silver wings, and I think initially it was unclear who it was, but it was almost certainly The Witness, and they seem like someone who might have brought up the Oryx thing.

If you go by the lore available to us there are only a handful of situations where the Traveler attempts to communicate with people, and even one of those cases is pretty iffy. The Speaker, who is that dude who was important in D1 and literally no one knows about now in D2, was the last in a long line of people who could pick up emotions or impressions from the Traveller and tried to convert those into concepts for regular people. It was almost always a creative exercise, but the last Speaker (the only one we as players knew) probably got the closest - the mask he wore was an actual piece of technology designed to amplify certain signals from the Traveller and he was picking up something. Unfortunately most of what he was picking up near the end was "oh poo poo oh god the red legion is coming I gotta loving get out of here" and he intentionally did not share that information to avoid impacting morale, not that it helped.

The only explicit case of the Traveller actually speaking to someone is, hilariously, Clovis Bray. I put that in a black box because I bet no one guesses the name under it unless they've already read the lore, but essentially: Our boy Clovis has some strange dreams and interprets them as messages from the Darkness and it's only near the very end where they get one final dream and the actual for-real Traveller shows up as the Alpha Lupi in said dream and more or less explicitly says "NO, you colossal moron, I was sending those dreams as WARNINGS and you misinterpreted them all".

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

PERMACAV 50 posted:

In S11 yeah, plus there’s one by the boss in Root of Nightmares.

Is that a seasonal thing? Or was that the black garden raid with like no story?

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

it was a seasonal thing, we like had to protect a seedling for the next tree with silver wings? but it took a while because the Darkness kept sending us Unveiling in encrypted messages or something? it’s been a million years it’s hard to remember

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

General Battuta posted:

Is that a seasonal thing? Or was that the black garden raid with like no story?

As for the RoN tree, it’s vaguely related to the Lightfall story. Nezarec (the raid boss) was giving everyone on Neomuna nightmares. Or something. Savathun apparently “killed” him (whatever that means here) at the time she hid the Veil on Neptune.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

haveblue posted:

Oh my god

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

it was a seasonal thing, we like had to protect a seedling for the next tree with silver wings? but it took a while because the Darkness kept sending us Unveiling in encrypted messages or something? it’s been a million years it’s hard to remember

The Witness was trying to talk to us and Savathun and Nokris kept interfering I think.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Season 11's tree was after we got the whole Unveiling book and immediately before Beyond Light. Basically, the last place the Traveller terraformed on Io had a tree of silver wings planted there, and during Season of Arrivals a Pyramid parks itself right above the tree and slowly converts it from Light to Darkness using it as an medium to communicate with us.

Savathun sends forces to try and prevent this communication, because at this point she's already broken away from the Witness to do her own thing, and we spend the season shooting our way through her forces and freeing some scattered messages from the Darkness/Witness before we ultimately kill the commander on the ground (who turns out to be Nokris, resurrected and recruited by Savathun to be a sacrificial catspaw for the whole enterprise).

The ultimate final message is simply a reveal that the Darkness isn't just trying to reach out to us but every faction in the system and that we can expect people to start taking advantage of the power offered. Which they do, like four weeks later, when Beyond Light launched.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meiteron posted:

If you go by the lore available to us there are only a handful of situations where the Traveler attempts to communicate with people, and even one of those cases is pretty iffy. The Speaker, who is that dude who was important in D1 and literally no one knows about now in D2, was the last in a long line of people who could pick up emotions or impressions from the Traveller and tried to convert those into concepts for regular people. It was almost always a creative exercise, but the last Speaker (the only one we as players knew) probably got the closest - the mask he wore was an actual piece of technology designed to amplify certain signals from the Traveller and he was picking up something. Unfortunately most of what he was picking up near the end was "oh poo poo oh god the red legion is coming I gotta loving get out of here" and he intentionally did not share that information to avoid impacting morale, not that it helped.

The only explicit case of the Traveller actually speaking to someone is, hilariously, Clovis Bray. I put that in a black box because I bet no one guesses the name under it unless they've already read the lore, but essentially: Our boy Clovis has some strange dreams and interprets them as messages from the Darkness and it's only near the very end where they get one final dream and the actual for-real Traveller shows up as the Alpha Lupi in said dream and more or less explicitly says "NO, you colossal moron, I was sending those dreams as WARNINGS and you misinterpreted them all".

lmao

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Oxyclean posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8hBXImFxI

That's the Traveler straight up chatting with you.

EDIT: I should point out, it's quoting lines from characters and grimoire cards, so it's using other's words in it's own voice.

RocketRaygun fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jun 22, 2023

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

PERMACAV 50 posted:

As for the RoN tree, it’s vaguely related to the Lightfall story. Nezarec (the raid boss) was giving everyone on Neomuna nightmares. Or something. Savathun apparently “killed” him (whatever that means here) at the time she hid the Veil on Neptune.

Nezarec was 100000% murdered by Savathun, very thoroughly, when she turned her cloak and walked off with the Veil during the first collapse. The witness collected whatever remained of ol' Nezzy, which wasn't much, and stuck him on his flagship pyramid and then hosed off to deep space.

Flash forward a few thousand years and the Traveller fires a concentrated beam of Light at the same pyramid in an act of self defence but all it really ends up doing is radiating Nez's remains with it, bringing him sort-of back to life. Our progress through the raid involves charging the Light roots with energy as we go which brings him the rest of the way back as some kind of halfway-thing between Disciple and Risen, just in time for us to murder him again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6w8hBXImFxI

That's the Traveler straight up chatting with you.

EDIT: I should point out, it's quoting lines from characters and grimoire cards, so it's using other's words in it's own voice.

lmao and I immediately clicked to the quote about oryx.

Failson has a far better memory then I, that's for sure.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

okay, yeah, that all rings bells. Meiteron knows what they’re talking about, thank you Meiteron

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Meiteron posted:

Nezarec was 100000% murdered by Savathun, very thoroughly, when she turned her cloak and walked off with the Veil during the first collapse. The witness collected whatever remained of ol' Nezzy, which wasn't much, and stuck him on his flagship pyramid and then hosed off to deep space.

Flash forward a few thousand years and the Traveller fires a concentrated beam of Light at the same pyramid in an act of self defence but all it really ends up doing is radiating Nez's remains with it, bringing him sort-of back to life. Our progress through the raid involves charging the Light roots with energy as we go which brings him the rest of the way back as some kind of halfway-thing between Disciple and Risen, just in time for us to murder him again.

Yeah, and the whole time he's orgasming over comms, really feelin what you are doing. It's kind of awkward.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I'm assuming there's a yet-unrevealed explanation as to why The Witness was sent off into deep space during the collapse, otherwise he probably could have just done what he did this time and touch the Traveler to figure out where the veil was?

There was also that bit when the Traveler broke free of Ghaul's chains and woke up the pyramids at the end of Red War - the implication at the time felt like it was a "oh they know where we are now" but surely they already knew since the traveler didn't move since the collapse? I wonder if something was stopping the pyramids from coming sooner, or if it was more that they were waiting for the time to be right, like linking the veil and traveler would have not been possible sooner.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Oxyclean posted:

I'm assuming there's a yet-unrevealed explanation as to why The Witness was sent off into deep space during the collapse, otherwise he probably could have just done what he did this time and touch the Traveler to figure out where the veil was?

There was also that bit when the Traveler broke free of Ghaul's chains and woke up the pyramids at the end of Red War - the implication at the time felt like it was a "oh they know where we are now" but surely they already knew since the traveler didn't move since the collapse? I wonder if something was stopping the pyramids from coming sooner, or if it was more that they were waiting for the time to be right, like linking the veil and traveler would have not been possible sooner.

Three possibilities- Savathun tricked the Witness into thinking the Traveler was dead dead dead. No Traveler = no Salvation, so it went off to sulk, and when it woke up in the Red War it did a big pog face.

Or, the creation of ghosts (and Risen) was actually so new and shocking that the Witness actually paused to see how it played out.

Or Savathun made it look like the Traveler or Veil flew into deep space, so the Witness went looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I thought the Traveler repelled the Darkness with a giant blast of light (Light)