Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Nah it’s a subsurface debris field. Nothing is floating up from down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I mean they'd be dead anyway at this point so it's kind of moot. Rip bozo. Stay out of Neptune's court.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Regulations are written in blood, as a poster here once shared.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Eyes Have It posted:

Regulations are written in blood, as a poster here once shared.

It's the only indelible ink and even it fades sometimes.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Stultus Maximus posted:

Just FYI, as what would be considered in this context a “skimmer,” I hear “debris field” and think floating.

No, they mean debris on the sea floor

Its the most common ways to discover where a ship has sunk is to trace the debris field.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Midjack posted:

It's the only indelible ink and even it fades sometimes.
Doesn't matter what the ink is when you fold the page up and put it away because regulations hold back innovation.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Look I can't believe I'm gonna speak up for abbot but I think those guys on the sub could do with less water

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Kick his rear end, Zuck.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

Kick his rear end, Zuck.

Whoever wins, we lose.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CommieGIR posted:

Whoever wins, we lose.

Alien vs Redditor

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

Landing frame and a rear cover from the submersible' among the debris

BBC

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
A field grade Army officer I know made a post on facebook complaining about people "rejoicing" about the deaths of rich people in that sub and I was pleasantly surprised that not a single response agreed with him. Just relentless dunking on billionaires. Maybe there is some small hope for this country yet.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mustang posted:

A field grade Army officer I know made a post on facebook complaining about people "rejoicing" about the deaths of rich people in that sub and I was pleasantly surprised that not a single response agreed with him. Just relentless dunking on billionaires. Maybe there is some small hope for this country yet.

Does he own the cape?

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Alien vs Redditor

Heh

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Stultus Maximus posted:

Does he own the cape?

Not sure but I wouldn't be surprised if he did, and I could see him writing an article about the historical significance of said cape.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
dead as hell

dead af

neptune goo

soup-like homogenate

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1671949398090153985?t=mQWRgkVSSBlm5qNqkkzX_UfYNKAJPm05EUaJwqfOZus&s=19

whole lotta sea creatures going to live out our greatest dreams by eating the rich

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

facialimpediment posted:

livvy rizzed up baby gronk

My brain refuses to acknowledge that this sentence is real and it exists.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CommieGIR posted:

Whoever wins, we lose.

Yes, but at least we could rejoice in the class idiot getting pantsed (and by that, I mean "his rear end kicked") if Elon loses.

It's like if Trump and DeSantis decided to throw down because their egos outweighed their common sense.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

facialimpediment posted:

dead as hell

dead af

neptune goo

soup-like homogenate

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1671949398090153985?t=mQWRgkVSSBlm5qNqkkzX_UfYNKAJPm05EUaJwqfOZus&s=19

whole lotta sea creatures going to live out our greatest dreams by eating the rich

Welp, kinda figured.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

90s Solo Cup posted:

My brain refuses to acknowledge that this sentence is real and it exists.

It's fully explainable (but I will not) and the deeper you look into it (don't), the deeper the rabbit hole (maw of satan) goes.

And dead as gently caress.

https://twitter.com/JesseRodriguez/status/1671955695321710604?t=hDbjjq7vXKedO8BypMKqoQ&s=19

Edit:

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/1671956846523940877?t=NR1OkiXgzpPb5gYG7VZZDA&s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 22, 2023

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Link to the ongoing press conference.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Congratulations Elviscat on your correct calling of the accident

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

:psyduck:

They didn’t even do a walkaround.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Congratulations comrade deep-sea cucumber, or vent worm, or crab or whatever. Your show of praxis in eating the rich is an inspiration to us all.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds like they've been dead a long while, at least it was hopefully quick

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
lmao someone asked if there should be changes to safety regulations and stuff due to this THE REGULATIONS ARE FINE, OCEANGATE LITERALLY JUST IGNORED ALL OF THEM WILLFULLY

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zamujasa posted:

The debris was found like 1600 feet from the Titanic, they probably either popped on the way down or shortly after reaching the Titanic.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

Yeah they're saying it was an implosion, so from alive to very, very, very dead quite quickly.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah they're saying it was an implosion, so from alive to very, very, very dead quite quickly.

Quite as in faster than human perception

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
I assume the NTSB video on it is going to be pretty open and shut: "ignored regulations, vessel was a piece of poo poo; cause of death, hubris"

E: strongly doubting there is any of the usual standard equipment like the recorder since, well, that would have cost money

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Quite as in faster than human perception

Yeah they've confirmed they found the front and aft sections of the diving bell. It got crushed and they likely never knew.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
This titanic keeps killing people. Someone need to stop it

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Milo and POTUS posted:

This titanic keeps killing people. Someone need to stop it

Time to depth charge the Titanic

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Blind Rasputin posted:

I watched a video recommendation today about the US nuclear sub Thresher in the 1960s that imploded below crush depth. And they found its general location by way of an oil slick on the surface and a radiation glove (like the ones used around US Navy nuclear reactors) floating around, as well as some cork bits from the inner hull wall.

My brain could not comprehend an entire nuclear submarine completely imploding into dust in 1/20th of a second. Holy poo poo.

I guess one dumb question I have is when a sun goes below its max depth why do the pipes on board burst and leak? I can understand hull rivets, I guess, from the hull warping and such. But the pipes have never made any sense to me. Is it because they have some connection to the water outside?

Are you asking about the pipe that's theorized to have burst, dooming the ship?

For that pipe specifically, it was a normally sea-connected system, and during the investigation the Navy did a ton of inspections on other Permit class boats, and found that the silver brazing method used to join their nickel-copper pipes together was defective on many of the joints they found. So the theory is the pipe let go well before its rated pressure, taking the reactor down with it. She just left a major overhaul in the yards, and that joint was new, and hadn't been thoroughly tested.

In the aftermath when the Navy developed the SUBSAFE program, those braze joints were replaced with all-welded piping systems, and all piping systems normally open at depth were required to have multiple redundant valves to shut off the flow of water in an emergency, ensuring that the hull was the week point. Also added a ton of paperwork, pressure testing and NDT to ensure the integrity of those piping systems.

Also the Thresher wouldn't have had any rivets in her hull, it'd be all welded construction. Modern attack submarines are incredibly resilient things, built like brick shithouses, we haven't lost one since Scorpion, and we've crashed a few into ships, and two in to mountains at speed and depth, I was on one of those.

Anyway, happy for those billionaires that they apparently got imploded instead of living through the horror of slowly suffocating while trapped in debris on the ocean floor, that's a way better way to go out.

E:

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Congratulations Elviscat on your correct calling of the accident

:toot:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

They got the ROV on site this morning and found debris?

For as technically impressive the entire operation is there must be some dumb luck involved too considering how low resolution everything is from a distance and cameras can’t see far at all at that depth.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Stultus Maximus posted:

Does he own the cape?

I thought the boat cape was a marine thing

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

maffew buildings posted:

lmao someone asked if there should be changes to safety regulations and stuff due to this THE REGULATIONS ARE FINE, OCEANGATE LITERALLY JUST IGNORED ALL OF THEM WILLFULLY

"I'm Yuppiename McBigBrains from Washington, and I want to be the next Elon Musk. Here's a septic tank I've converted into a submarine. It has no survival equipment, questionable comms, and its ballast is used construction piping. Green!"

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I feel the worst about that one guy that tried to warn them and they fired him. Worst kind of validation he'll get in his life

Hopefully at least now the company's gone under (Pun intended) and will not surface again with their unregulated shitsub.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

hobbesmaster posted:

They got the ROV on site this morning and found debris?

For as technically impressive the entire operation is there must be some dumb luck involved too considering how low resolution everything is from a distance and cameras can’t see far at all at that depth.

Oh no, those ROVs have some crazy high end cameras now, not to mention having stuff like Side Scanning Sonar and High Resolution Sonar.

Trust me, they can really well.