Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
tl;dr they found a debris field ~1600ft off Titanic's bow where there was previously not known to be any debris from Titanic itself and the way it's all strewn about is consistent with what it would look like if the sub had experienced an explosive decompression event.

Rest in Piss the CEO and billionaire guys, sorry about the kid, don't feel too bad for the veteran Titanic explorer guy based on all his interviews it sounds like he died how he wanted and expected to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

wonder what their last words were

Based on the report by that one safety engineer who got tossed, the acoustic sensor probably started going off and someone uttered a one syllable response before being crushed into a million pieces.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

[tink!]
"Wh-"

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

Calvin Johnson Jr. posted:

if you're a billionaire why the gently caress would you spare any expense on anything, ever? There's gotta be other people going down there that you could pay. This lego rear end sub looks so sketchy.

it's like us spending $220 on something - it's so loving unbelievably cheap considering the risks involved it's absolutely hosed.

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
:crackping:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Re: viewing port strength: I'm pretty sure it was certified to 1300m, only because I remember it was less than 30% of what was actually needed to get to the Titanic

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6y1ctn05a4

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
They really want him to say the bodies are just gone.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

if you're a billionaire why the gently caress would you spare any expense on anything, ever? There's gotta be other people going down there that you could pay. This lego rear end sub looks so sketchy.

the crazy thing is one of the billionaires went down to the challenger deep in a DSV that wasn't cobbled together with poo poo from home depot and he had a friend that took one look at the death tube and said "nah, gimmie back my money" and he still went.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Shame that dipshit didn't install a black box on board, would love to hear their last moments.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

They were dead before their nervous systems could register to their brain something was wrong.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Can someone please repost that tweet with the interview where the guy who got pulled by his own sub basically said his sub would succeed in being invincible where the titanic failed

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

Sydin posted:

tl;dr they found a debris field ~1600ft off Titanic's bow where there was previously not known to be any debris from Titanic itself and the way it's all strewn about is consistent with what it would look like if the sub had experienced an explosive decompression event.

Rest in Piss the CEO and billionaire guys, sorry about the kid, don't feel too bad for the veteran Titanic explorer guy based on all his interviews it sounds like he died how he wanted and expected to.

they also found actual bits of the imploded sub, not just generic debris

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Some engineering professor is writing a second edition copy of his workbook right now to include this sub and the failures of it, including ignoring regulatory compliance and ethics etc. as a cautionary tale for students.

And he's about to try and get it to print and on the syllabus before next semester.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

eviltastic posted:

They announced it in 2021 and after what looks like a bunch of puff pieces in rich yacht people kinda media and a podcast that fizzled out last year I haven't been able to find a picture of anyone actually in one, so it's quite possible it's vaporware, yeah. Might also just be something that hasn't been ordered by anyone or whatever megarich people who did get one haven't shown it off. Several other things they've actually built also look pretty snazzy (and afaik haven't imploded).

In 2021, the federal lending rate was 0.25%; it is currently 5.25%

wet_goods
Jun 21, 2004

I'M BAAD!

Cosmik Debris posted:

coast guard just confirmed they found it and that it failed catastrophically

Tbh I’m impressed they found it as fast as they did

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

dirty shrimp money posted:

They were dead before their nervous systems could register to their brain something was wrong.

yeah yeah, but what were they talking about it when it imploded

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

wet_goods posted:

there's something so hosed about spending so much on resources for search and recovery and forensics on a group of cocky idiots who openly flaunted safety regulations as if it was a challenge.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

wet_goods posted:

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

yeah yeah, but what were they talking about it when it imploded

The information they had that would lead to the arrest of Hillary Clinton.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Sydin posted:

Still nothing conclusive though. There could be survivors in the debris field.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost
Did they mention the banging and I missed it?

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

mrmcd posted:

Forward/Back is done by running both thrusters in the same direction. Rotate is done by running the thrusters in opposite directions. But if one is installed backwards then F/B is now rotate, and rotate is now F/B. So you turn the controller sideways and when you press forward from your perspective you're actually entering a rotate command.. which is now forward.

This guy thrusts

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

When you have that much money you get stuck in this mindset that everything is transactional and that everything has to have a maximum ROI. Spending the bare minimum on safety features means you can scrape every last cent of profit out of the $250K ticket price.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Slotducks posted:

there's something so hosed about spending so much on resources for search and recovery and forensics on a group of cocky idiots who openly flaunted safety regulations as if it was a challenge.

I think from a scientific perspective I’m fine with it, but by no goddam means should taxpayers cover it. loving charge the estates. Surely the company has doofus insurance

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Just realized the original dive started on June 18th.

These might have been the worst Father's Day gifts in history

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

The information they have leading to the arrest of Hillary Clinton.

Why were we asked to bring this laptop? Who is Hunter?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

CoasterMaster posted:

Did they mention the banging and I missed it?

Said it isn't connected. That it occurred in a different location.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
journos shouting "WILL YOU ATTEMPT TO RECOVER THE BODIES" lmao

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002
lol at that last reporter "Will there be efforts to recover the bodies?"

bro what bodies

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Who are these people asking about loving body recovery repeatedly? Like, what the gently caress.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

They just straight up ended the presser when someone asked if they’d recover the bodies :laffo:

Witeldram
Feb 22, 2022

Lol @ the person in the press conference asking if they were gonna try recovering their bodies

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

wet_goods posted:

yes and no. I think what took so long to find the sub was that there just aren't a lot of vehicles in existence that can make that dive, much less that are available in 5 days notice.

There's no real point in spending resources looking for them at the bottom of the ocean since the chances of them still being alive by the time they find them are very slim, assuming the vessel was still intact. So they focused on looking on the surface which could potentially actually yield a happy ending.

idk. I prolly would have done the same thing, but the sub was 1600 ft from the titanic. That's the "first place anybody should have looked" insofar as its the most likely place for it to be.

edit: honestly gently caress these stupid billionaires for killing themselves and wasting our time.

Tijuana-A-Go-Go
Aug 2, 2019

Doggles Aficionado

Pookah posted:

Just realized the original dive started on June 18th.

These might have been the worst Father's Day gifts in history

loving lmao :drat:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Axel Serenity posted:

lol at that last reporter "Will there be efforts to recover the bodies?"

bro what bodies

SIR SIR, will you be sending microscopes down to recover the individual point in space they were crammed into?

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

haunted bong posted:

“Spotify keeps playing Under Pressure, wonder what tha-“

Nah, the sub was such a knock-off it was playing Ice, Ice, Baby.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

watch aquaman start a loving war

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Sydin posted:

the sub had experienced an explosive decompression event.

Implosion event, not an explosive decompression event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Regalingualius posted:

They just straight up ended the presser when someone asked if they’d recover the bodies :laffo:

No they didnt, people were asking that the whole time and they were ignoring it.