Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Ok.

E: gently caress lovely Snype. More on topic anyone else disappointed that they didn't include the Brown Widow in the hall of Spiderman in Across the Spiderverse?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Shageletic posted:

Ok.

E: gently caress lovely Snype. More on topic anyone else disappointed that they didn't include the Brown Widow in the hall of Spiderman in Across the Spiderverse?

Well now that is a drat shame.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Cojawfee posted:

Not sure why it's going around again, but that's a post he made when the show was canceled a couple years ago.

Because we are overly excited.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
That Titan sub guy probably had a much more successful brother.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Clearly one of them was streaming Sharky's Machine and they nudged the controller accidentally skipping back a bit and just sort of clumsily fumbled the thing a bit too rough to go back a minute.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
I just hit Gargantua-2 on my rewatch, and goddamn it’s so perfect. It gives me such high hopes for what the team can pull off in the film given just how many threads they are pulling together and tying off on that special.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Nikumatic posted:

I just hit Gargantua-2 on my rewatch, and goddamn it’s so perfect. It gives me such high hopes for what the team can pull off in the film given just how many threads they are pulling together and tying off on that special.
What's really impressive is that it's not just that. It wasn't merely a wank over their own continuity and ongoing story. It effortlessly tied them all together and paid them all off while also being a really funny and kickass story on its own.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Here's the thing to ponder.

They jam packed everything they did into Gargantua-2 and it was 48 minutes.

This will be nearly twice that length.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I want to be exhausted by the end of it

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

Nikumatic posted:

I'm a big fan of both that episode and "What Color is Your Cleansuit" for the sheer scope of the story, dense volume of classic sci-fi homages and tropes, and the way they advance the story considerably. Just top-shelf stuff.

I would put Operation: P.R.O.M. in there too, but it leans a little too hard on THIS IS FOR ADULTS and Rusty's more misogynistic tendencies. Still like it a lot.

Love Rat fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jun 27, 2023

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I like the way the Halloween special happens during "What Color is Your Cleansuit?"

mutantIke
Oct 24, 2022

Born in '04
Certified Zoomer
With a movie as a finale and an OVA that takes place in the middle of an episode, it's safe to say Venture Bros has what we in the industry call "Anime Continuity"

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

it was so confusing to see what color is your cleansuit after emo dean debuted in the halloween special and everything had then seemingly gone back to normal, I remember adult swim had a bump saying the halloween special happened during the commercial break

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

mutantIke posted:

With a movie as a finale and an OVA that takes place in the middle of an episode, it's safe to say Venture Bros has what we in the industry call "Anime Continuity"

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/KenPlume/status/1674170825174392835?s=20

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

gary as the child stuck between two parents is extremely funny imo

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Saw this in the Random Waffleimages thread and thought of here.

I forgot how popular this show was. I mean hell, if Bleach is on there that means it beat out all the other anime on Saturday night with what I'm assuming were reruns.

limp_cheese fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jun 29, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Poor Gary. We've all been there

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Yeah my childhood was basically just like that

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Oh man that is such an awkward position to be in.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

But what about Killinger and the Venchmen? Or is this just a different set of rules depending on relation?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

pixaal posted:

But what about Killinger and the Venchmen? Or is this just a different set of rules depending on relation?

They said he can’t arch until the relationship is fully sorted out not that he can’t arch a relative. My guess is there are different rules between arching your brother and say a cousin.

More than anything it’s a plot device that keeps the monarch again from doing what he really wants to do.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

pixaal posted:

There was literal paperwork involved in arching JVJ. I'm going out on a limb here that Killinger had started the paperwork before he arrived and he's also just better at navigating bureaucracy than the Monarchs. Not insurmountable, but going to take a couple days at least.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It could change rules on say, the arching of the boys. Rusty may be in play still, but if the monarch is the boys' uncle that crosses some line for the guild.

It could also have to do with his stature. The Monarch may be next of kin for venture industries and the guild may have rules against knocking someone off for inheritance.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

bull3964 posted:

It could also have to do with his stature. The Monarch may be next of kin for venture industries and the guild may have rules against knocking someone off for inheritance.

that makes the most sense out of anything. especially with Alter-Egos potentially being in the mix and whatnot

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I can't imagine any model where Rusty was permitted to arch J.J. wouldn't make room for The Monarch to arch Rusty.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
there's probably a lot of beuracracy in classifying it as a blood feud but you know what they say: you cain if you're abel

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Saint Cloud got through a lot of BS with the power of wealth. Killingjer (sp?) probably could do something similar.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DoctorWhat posted:

I can't imagine any model where Rusty was permitted to arch J.J. wouldn't make room for The Monarch to arch Rusty.

He's probably allowed, but with different rules or different paperwork. He's just put on hold till that happens which was probably the worst letdown of the tenning. Right level but...... now you have to wait again to make sure this is done right.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Honey you have to fill out 207d if its a childhood grudge and 207s if blood related.

No completely different form.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I can't help but hear that in Watch and Ward voices.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I love how unpenetratable that clip would be for anyone who doesn't watch the show.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

IUG posted:

Saint Cloud got through a lot of BS with the power of wealth. Killingjer (sp?) probably could do something similar.

I assume Killinger was just a figure you don't say no to in the Guild if you know what's good for you. The bureaucratic justifications would follow from that, and he would probably do his part to make that a smooth process.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Gnome de plume posted:

there's probably a lot of beuracracy in classifying it as a blood feud but you know what they say: you cain if you're abel

If that's not a line, I'm going to be angry.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

It’s being released on “digital streaming” - so, Max?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Physical and digital purchase first. MAX and Adult Swim later.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Mr. Lobe posted:

I assume Killinger was just a figure you don't say no to in the Guild if you know what's good for you. The bureaucratic justifications would follow from that, and he would probably do his part to make that a smooth process.

Killinger also didn't actually get Rusty to the point of starting to actively arch Jonas Jr iirc, I imagine he already had the appropriate paperwork ready to go.

Also remember the specific point of conflict here is that they only know there seems to be a close blood relationship between the Monarch and Rusty according to one antiquated machine, and want to do further verification- and the Monarch arching Rusty as he always has may or may not break certain rules depending on that. Especially because he explicitly can't claim ignorance. Of course, it's all pretty dang arbitrary.

bull3964 posted:

It could change rules on say, the arching of the boys. Rusty may be in play still, but if the monarch is the boys' uncle that crosses some line for the guild.

At least not in insufficiently dramatic fashion.

mutantIke posted:

Venture Bros and EVA have a lot in common, Rusty is basically a grown-up burnt-out Shinji.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah we don't know what rules were in place for the potential Rusty/JJ arching relationship. There are probably rules and regulations about what you're allowed to do depending on how closely related you are. Inheritance probably does come into it. So Rusty could arch JJ, but couldn't do anything that would cause JJ to die and then have Rusty inherit his stuff (even though it was technically already Rusty's stuff to begin with). But if they were distant cousins, then it doesn't really matter because there would be other next of kin so one wouldn't directly benefit from the death of the other.

So they have to determine how closely related the Monarch is to Rusty. if they are brothers, there could be a situation where if Malcolm takes out Rusty, he might gain control of Jonas Sr's estate because he would be the next of kin, not Hank and Dean. So they have to pause all arching to figure out what rules have to be followed.

But now I'm imagining two brothers arching each other (maybe Hank and Dean in the future) and they have to have some big OSI/Guild get together arbitration courtroom thing. One brother arched the other brother and ended up stealing some device. The victim brother then files a grievance because their father's will specifically states that he will receive said device, so the first brother shouldn't be allowed to take it during a heist.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jun 30, 2023

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Man Rusty would loathe Gendo so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

One brother hating the other is BIBLICAL arching, there's no way the Guild doesn't already have regulations in place.

Paperwork just moves slower than HATE