Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

OMFG FURRY posted:

probably happened when they lost contact

Yes, the navy-or-whatever guy making the press statement said the sub debris was found was near where they'd last been contacted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurglings
May 6, 2016

drunkill posted:

Did they have the money for it?

It'd have cost them a shitload more to build it for real, instead of the fake sub they ended up with.

The company had PPP loans of 447k forgiven
https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1671928642094473216?t=whiHK5tz9M0gJPgVcT-l7g&s=19

Free Market Innovation 101: Get the government to subsidize it

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Droogie posted:

Who are these people asking about loving body recovery repeatedly? Like, what the gently caress.

So they can get the ghoulish soundbite I guess

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

drunkill posted:

It'd have cost them a shitload more to build it for real, instead of the fake sub they ended up with.

https://twitter.com/derekwillis/status/1671928642094473216?t=whiHK5tz9M0gJPgVcT-l7g&s=19

https://twitter.com/carlbeijer/status/1671957514479452161?s=46&t=8qKeRz1MPwpnqaU9WYBJgg

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

cock hero flux posted:

contact was lost because the sub imploded and everyone died

Makes me wonder if the bangs were parts settling on the ocean floor assuming the implosion wasn't a slower thing.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

smoobles posted:

interesting that they're called "billionaires" when they in fact have zero airs

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
guy with the video game controller got a 5.0 K/D that round though, so that's nice

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

drunkill posted:

...How the gently caress did a Canadian company get loans from the US?

Jesus loving christ, Trump and the GOP Griftlords

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

trilljester posted:

I guess my biggest question out of this is why didn't Oceangate consult with or even hire the people that designed James Cameron's subs? It's not like they didn't have the money to afford it.

Nah, OceanGate didn't have the type of infinite money to make a good sub. The passengers were billionaires, the owners not so much.

All the cut corners for material choices and improvised systems were almost certainly budget because they couldn't afford the real thing. Like, a big carbon fiber cylinder is way cheaper than a cast titanium one.

Slotducks
Oct 16, 2008

Nobody puts Phil in a corner.

TulliusCicero posted:

...How the gently caress did a Canadian company get loans from the US?

Jesus loving christ, Trump and the GOP Griftlords

they're american

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think in the future deep sea dives need to be designed like our space ships: docking ports, another, sister ship can attach to, and a means of going down there yourself instead of having to wait for the coast guard to putt putt at a measly 29mph (25 knots, which is fast by boat standards but slow as poo poo by emergency standards. I wish more boats traveled at 50 knots instead)

Have two boats in case of failure. Maybe they can do something cool and go down there, dock with the crashed ship and get picked up by the not crashed ship. Makes sense in my head at least

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

drunkill posted:

Oh, but we can't forgive all student loans.
Lol.
Fuckin hate this drat country.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Witeldram posted:

Lol @ the person in the press conference asking if they were gonna try recovering their bodies

"Like, in Tupperware containers?"

Zoobtro
Aug 22, 2003

Got miself a nice little earner, isn't it
imagine if we did just take it with us. like the egyptians figured it out. these guys are partying on the titanic with all their wealth forever. like it's disney world x 10 and a couple hundred million will get you the best experience you could imagine. they are laughing at us

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Today a salt water chum mist.
Tomorrow crab poo poo.

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

I heard the enterpreneurs had upgraded to this last minute as the final control scheme for their welded tubmarine. The only caveat remaining is keeping a real regular beat the entire time descending.

the banging they heard on the sonar or w/e was actually the old titanic expert guy pounding out the intro to painkiller by judas priest :rock:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I think in the future deep sea dives need to be designed like our space ships: docking ports, another, sister ship can attach to, and a means of going down there yourself instead of having to wait for the coast guard to putt putt at a measly 29mph (25 knots, which is fast by boat standards but slow as poo poo by emergency standards. I wish more boats traveled at 50 knots instead)

Have two boats in case of failure. Maybe they can do something cool and go down there, dock with the crashed ship and get picked up by the not crashed ship. Makes sense in my head at least

These guys couldn't even put a window in that would last at 2000 meters, never mind 4000. There's no guarantee they'd build the second one better since why not just use that for tourism instead?

In this case all you're doing is sacrificing two subs worth of people, one of them privately employed rescue workers, to the watery depths.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
my partner and I had an unusually cute “did ya hear? catastrophic implosion!” moment

Mistakes into memories

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The only thing the billionaires will get out of this is that now there's some new wreckage near the Titanic that some uber rich tourists will pay to visit.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
To shreds, you say

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

GreenBuckanneer posted:

the time between the first sign of a problem and the immediate death of the entire crew was most likely measured in milliseconds

the lesson to be learned here is "don't completely ignore the depth rating of your submarine"

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Name brand tissues from my inner-space.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Anyway I hope literally every billionaire sees the reactions of the hoi polloi and understands thoroughly that it could, and very well may be, them someday. They won’t, but money cannot stop us from laughing at them, certainly not with them.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

https://www.tiktok.com/t/ZT8Jx4KYs/

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Carbohydrates posted:

guy with the video game controller got a 5.0 K/D that round though, so that's nice

Easy when you're on your smurf account though (no 50yo white dudes on that server)

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Zoobtro posted:

are there any conspiracy theories that hold any weight here? i haven't really seen any except biden killing them or something?

there was already a video claiming that "woke ideology" did this somehow but im not clicking on that poo poo so i dont know how they connected those particular dots

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

steinrokkan posted:

To shreds, you say

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

hot breaking news, footage from the rescue drone just released

:craboot: :ghost: :craboot: :ghost: :craboot: :ghost: :craboot: :ghost: :craboot: :ghost: :craboot:

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Carbohydrates posted:

killing yourself counts as -1 so it's actually a 3.0

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

my submarine has never imploded

Archonex
May 2, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

the time between the first sign of a problem and the immediate death of the entire crew was most likely measured in milliseconds

the lesson to be learned here is "don't completely ignore the depth rating of your submarine"

To be clear, the concept of a depth rating is also vaguely wrong since they refused to class the submarine by industry standards. What we know about the sub is mostly from people rating the parts they used according to industry standards and probably one fired employee who tried to stop this and was punished for his efforts.

Major institutions handling marine vehicles were sending them officially worded statements as far back as 2018 asking them to please for the love of god stop loving about with the half rear end sub and let us properly rate this thing so you don't die, as they didn't want their inevitable doom to impact the parts of the industry that were acting in good faith.

The CEO just ignored them and called safety regulations for subs "obscene" and basically Elon Musk'd his way into a grisly death. Only unlike Elon Musk he actually had the balls to go down in the metal death trap he tricked people into riding.

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Would it be Two-tanic or Ti-two-nic?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

teen witch posted:

Anyway I hope literally every billionaire sees the reactions of the hoi polloi and understands thoroughly that it could, and very well may be, them someday. They won’t, but money cannot stop us from laughing at them, certainly not with them.

The two happiest about this is the racist step-son whose going to inherit a crap load now.
And his onlyfans waifu.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Earwicker posted:

there was already a video claiming that "woke ideology" did this somehow but im not clicking on that poo poo so i dont know how they connected those particular dots

It's just some thumb looking chud dipshit vomiting words.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

teen witch posted:

I've seen almost near universal disdain and mockery for the rich on this one

It's wonderful :allears:

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

This makes me nostalgic for the libertarian floating hell city that never was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
5 Guys 1 Sub