Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
It's hard to say which one could be considered the Uwe Boll of social media because they're both terrible, but I'd say Zuck because he's been terrible at it for longer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Professor Beetus posted:

Huh, in a testament to Google's uselessness, this wasn't even in my top ten results when I searched. I think it's unfortunate that they wasted all this time and money on it. But I am also very surprised they actually found something.

e: not that it's a certainty that this debris field is from the oceangate sub

Eh, the Navy & Coast Guard practice all the time. This time there's actual bodies to look for.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1671940549912272896

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Just got a wire alert that says the U.S. Navy apparently narrowed the search zone and knows the general location of the sub, but everyone on board is believed to be dead.

Edit: Coast Guard says they have evidence that the sub was destroyed or damaged by a failure of the pressure chamber.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1671956815091826700

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 22, 2023

Jesus III
May 23, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Just got a wire alert that says the U.S. Navy apparently narrowed the search zone and knows the general location of the sub, but everyone on board is believed to be dead.

Edit: Coast Guard says they have evidence that the sub was destroyed or damaged by a failure of the pressure chamber.

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1671956815091826700

If so, ew. Human soda pop spraying out of a can

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Evil Fluffy posted:

Musk is at the "accept a fight from someone who actually trains, even if only on an amateur level, and proceeds to get their rear end kicked" phase of his Lowtax speedrun.

It of course remains to be seen, but I'm very interested what the level of discussion will be about this a week from now. Musk fans seem really think that seeing him beat up Zuckerberg is in the realm of possibility, and with enough repeated reminders, Musk will have to shut down the conversation somehow because there is 0% chance he actually takes the fight. Backing down from a fight with Zuckerberg sounds absolutely humiliating, and the fanboys will be spouting "the man who tweets four hours a day has no time to fight, he's a little busy sending rockets into space" as their best defense.

Why don't I think this is going away? Well, one man stands to make several millions personally from the event: https://themessenger.com/news/elon-musk-mark-zuckerberg-cage-fight-dana-white

A huge proportion of Elon fans want to see him fight now. This is one of the very very VERY few ways he can let them down. I love it!

parthenocarpy fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 22, 2023

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Jesus III posted:

If so, ew. Human soda pop spraying out of a can

if i had to choose, i'd rather become goo faster than my nervous system can react rather than reenacting no exit with my fellow trapped billionaires

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.
I know the implosion happens quickly, but would it be more like a bullet to the head, or a few seconds of the hull crushing you before you die?

Seph fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jun 22, 2023

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

duz posted:

Eh, the Navy & Coast Guard practice all the time. This time there's actual bodies to look for.

https://twitter.com/BBCWorld/status/1671940549912272896

You mean debris to look for, right? Because there are absolutely no (human) bodies to look for at that depth. Or even a fraction of that depth.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

parthenocarpy posted:

It of course remains to be seen, but I'm very interested what the level of discussion will be about this a week from now. Musk fans seem really think that seeing him beat up Zuckerberg is in the realm of possibility, and with enough repeated reminders, Musk will have to shut down the conversation somehow because there is 0% chance he actually takes the fight. Backing down from a fight with Zuckerberg sounds absolutely humiliating, and the fanboys will be spouting "the man who tweets four hours a day has no time to fight, he's a little busy sending rockets into space" as their best defense.

He'll show up for the cameras, do the cringiest imitation of a wrestling promo you'll ever see, and turn the whole thing into a clownshow comedy act complete with bringing joke props into the ring and poo poo like that. If Zuck refuses to play along, he'll loudly accuse Zuck of being a humorless tryhard who's too stuck-up to have a bit of fun, and then use that as an excuse to bail.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Evil Fluffy posted:

You mean debris to look for, right? Because there are absolutely no (human) bodies to look for at that depth. Or even a fraction of that depth.

The relevant Mythbysters clip. NSFW?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEY3fN4N3D8

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Seph posted:

I know the implosion happens quickly, but would it be more like a bullet to the head, or a few seconds of the hull crushing you before you die?

you might have some warning ahead of time that there's a problem, but when the actual failure happened you'd be dead on the order of milliseconds. the pressure at that depth is one of those things were it's extreme enough that it's hard for the human brain to properly quantify

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I can't quite parse what this means:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

quote:

The site of the fatal accident was believed to be 1,600ft (487m) off the bow of the Titanic wreck

Does this mean it imploded 487 m under water or it imploded 487 m above where the Titanic is sitting?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Boris Galerkin posted:

I can't quite parse what this means:

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-us-canada-65967464

Does this mean it imploded 487 m under water or it imploded 487 m above where the Titanic is sitting?

neither - it exploded 487m away from the titanic in terms of north south or east west, not above it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Ironic that one of the crew here later died while trying to set an extreme record, in this case, land speed. And she did.

Seph
Jul 12, 2004

Please look at this photo every time you support or defend war crimes. Thank you.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

you might have some warning ahead of time that there's a problem, but when the actual failure happened you'd be dead on the order of milliseconds. the pressure at that depth is one of those things were it's extreme enough that it's hard for the human brain to properly quantify

Thanks, I was imagining it crushing like a soda can over a few seconds, but it sounds like it would be much more violent and instantaneous.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

if i had to choose, i'd rather become goo faster than my nervous system can react rather than reenacting no exit with my fellow trapped billionaires

Seph posted:

The Byford Dolphin (just a wiki link) implosion is a well-documented and truly horrific event that is definitely :nms: but also almost assuredly exactly how it went down in this case too, if you're curious

a taste:

quote:

These were projected some distance, one section being found 10 metres (30 ft) vertically above the exterior pressure door.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 22, 2023

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
The hull of this thing was carbon fiber. I know carbon fiber is strong and light and cool, but it fails catastrophically. Why would you choose something that gives no warning of catastrophic failure? Hubris like this is why people are mocking them.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Jesus III posted:

The hull of this thing was carbon fiber. I know carbon fiber is strong and light and cool, but it fails catastrophically. Why would you choose something that gives no warning of catastrophic failure? Hubris like this is why people are mocking them.
It's lighter/"cool". I suspect the real reason is that CF would be a lot cheaper to fabricate for a one-off like this.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Arivia posted:

neither - it exploded 487m away from the titanic in terms of north south or east west, not above it.

When news of them losing contact first broke, I saw a depth of around 1800 meters mentioned as the estimation of their depth by that point. If so, around that point you're looking at roughly 2600 pounds of pressure.

That Mythbusters clip says it was 135 pounds of pressure, so around 95 meters. And the suit doesn't appear to have lost containment so it stopped getting crushed once the pressure inside the (partially crushed) helmet and suit equalized. That... isn't going to happen when the groversub's structure failed catastrophically while under several thousand pounds of pressure. They would've been dead before they had time to register what happened, let alone feel it.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Seph posted:

Thanks, I was imagining it crushing like a soda can over a few seconds, but it sounds like it would be much more violent and instantaneous.

Have you ever seen a cathode ray tube implode? Old TV, monitor? (Don't smash those btw., shards don't stop moving after the implosion, you can absolutely get hit by them)

Imagine that, but over a hundred times more force. And more violent, because water has more mass than just some air.

The forces involved are difficult for humans to comprehend because they are utterly outside of our normal experience.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Shrecknet posted:

The Byford Dolphin (just a wiki link) implosion is a well-documented and truly horrific event that is definitely :nms: but also almost assuredly exactly how it went down in this case too, if you're curious

a taste:

Explosive decompression is the exact opposite of what happened with the Titan.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

When news of them losing contact first broke, I saw a depth of around 1800 meters mentioned as the estimation of their depth by that point. If so, around that point you're looking at roughly 2600 pounds of pressure.

That Mythbusters clip says it was 135 pounds of pressure, so around 95 meters. And the suit doesn't appear to have lost containment so it stopped getting crushed once the pressure inside the (partially crushed) helmet and suit equalized. That... isn't going to happen when the groversub's structure failed catastrophically while under several thousand pounds of pressure. They would've been dead before they had time to register what happened, let alone feel it.

okay but i don't know why you quoted me explaining what "x distance off the bow" means

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Shrecknet posted:

a taste:

That exploded and decompressed, which is different from the titan which would have imploded and compressed. Which suggests to me that what happened to the Titan would have been the literal exact opposite of what happened on the byrford dolphin lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

OctaMurk posted:

That exploded and decompressed, which is different from the titan which would have imploded and compressed. Which suggests to me that what happened to the Titan would have been the literal exact opposite of what happened on the byrford dolphin lol

Their organs violently entered their bodies?

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
Their bodies violently entered their organs.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
The force involved in the Byford Dolphin incident was much, much lower than in the sub implosion. At least an order of magnitude less.

It's a good point of reference though. That was just some compressed air and it did unspeakable things to people.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Antigravitas posted:

That was just some compressed air and it did unspeakable things to people.
But enough about the after-effects of last night's enchiladas,

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Tech Nightmares 6: their bodies violently entered their organs

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Antigravitas posted:

The force involved in the Byford Dolphin incident was much, much lower than in the sub implosion. At least an order of magnitude less.

It's a good point of reference though. That was just some compressed air and it did unspeakable things to people.

its not a good point of reference tho? The byrford dolphin pressure chamber was at high pressure of 9 atm, so when it was breached the pressure and contents were explosively decompressed to 1 atm.

In the titan sub, the inside would have been at lower pressure than the outside, so the contents would have been crushed, not exploded

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Jesus III posted:

At that pressure there isn’t really anything you could make the hull out of that would have any intermediate phase between “everything is fine” and “soda can that’s been through a hydraulic press”. The moment any actual crack in the hull develops, the overall structural integrity is hosed enough that you’re on a one-way trip to Red Goo City over the next few fractions of a second. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with using a material that fails catastrophically when it fails if every failure is already catastrophic.

Of course, this lot probably used a batch of carbon fiber that fell of the back of a lorry somewhere with the lowest manufacturing standards in the world, or “the most economically sound choice” as their CEO would doubtless have put it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pumpinglemma posted:

At that pressure there isn’t really anything you could make the hull out of that would have any intermediate phase between “everything is fine” and “soda can that’s been through a hydraulic press”. The moment any actual crack in the hull develops, the overall structural integrity is hosed enough that you’re on a one-way trip to Red Goo City over the next few fractions of a second. There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with using a material that fails catastrophically when it fails if every failure is already catastrophic.

Of course, this lot probably used a batch of carbon fiber that fell of the back of a lorry somewhere with the lowest manufacturing standards in the world, or “the most economically sound choice” as their CEO would doubtless have put it.

The complaint I saw, and I am not a materials engineer, was that carbon fiber doesn't hold up well to repeated stress. Which is fine when it's a bike frame and you can curse and lay down another few thousand, but is very bad on a vehicle that by its nature will be stressed repeatedly on every trip.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
James Cameron had a few things to say:

quote:

“We’ve never had an accident like this,” James Cameron, the Oscar-winning director of “Titanic,” said on Thursday.

Mr. Cameron, an expert in submersibles, has dived dozens of times to the ship’s deteriorating hulk and once plunged in a tiny craft of his own design to the bottom of the planet’s deepest recess.

In an interview, Mr. Cameron called the presumed loss of five lives aboard the Titan submersible from the company OceanGate like nothing anyone involved in private ocean exploration had ever seen.

“There’ve never been fatalities at this kind of depth and certainly no implosions,” he said.

An implosion in the deep sea happens when the crushing pressures of the abyss cause a hollow object to collapse violently inward. If the object is big enough to hold five people, Mr. Cameron said in an interview, “it’s going to be an extremely violent event — like 10 cases of dynamite going off.”

In 2012, Mr. Cameron designed and piloted an experimental submersible into a region in the Pacific Ocean called the Challenger Deep. Mr. Cameron had not sought certification of the vessel’s safety by organizations in the maritime industry that provide such services to numerous companies.

“We did that knowingly” because the craft was experimental and its mission scientific, Mr. Cameron said. “I would never design a vehicle to take passengers and not have it certified.”

Mr. Cameron strongly criticized Stockton Rush, the OceanGate chief executive who piloted the submersible when it disappeared Sunday, for never getting his tourist submersible certified as safe. He noted that Mr. Rush called certification an impediment to innovation.

“I agree in principle,” Mr. Cameron said. “But you can’t take that stance when you’re putting paying customers into your submersible — when you have innocent guests who trust you and your statements” about vehicle safety.

As a design weakness in the Titan submersible and a possible cautionary sign to its passengers, Mr. Cameron cited its construction with carbon-fiber composites. The materials are used widely in the aerospace industry because they weigh much less than steel or aluminum, yet pound for pound are stronger and stiffer.

The problem, Mr. Cameron said, is that a carbon-fiber composite has “no strength in compression”— which happens as an undersea vehicle plunges ever deeper into the abyss and faces soaring increases in water pressure. “It’s not what it’s designed for.”

The company, he added, used sensors in the hull of the Titan to assess the status of the carbon-fiber composite hull. In its promotional material, OceanGate pointed to the sensors as an innovative feature for “hull health monitoring.” Early this year, an academic expert described the system as providing the pilot “with enough time to arrest the descent and safely return to surface.”

In contrast to the company, Mr. Cameron called it “a warning system” to let the submersible’s pilot know if “the hull is getting ready to implode.”

Mr. Cameron said the sensor network on the sub’s hull was an inadequate solution to a design he saw as intrinsically flawed.

“It’s not like a light coming on when the oil in your car is low,” he said of the network of hull sensors. “This is different.”

I found this article because I was googling to learn more about James Cameron’s sub cause I kept seeing it pop up as an example of what to do right. Well it turns out that his sub also wasn’t certified because he didn’t feel like doing it. The difference of course is that Cameron’s sub fits 1 person and the only person who would be in it was Cameron himself, so he didn’t feel the need to go through certification. The one that imploded was meant for tourists and Camera says they absolutely should have certified it.

Also if I understand what Cameron was saying in the last bit of the article, it would appear that the CEO might have gotten a warning from the hull integrity sensors that the thing is going to implode. What a way to go knowing that you’ve killed everyone on board but everyone else is too busy looking out the window at the titanic to know what’s going on.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
We all lived in a yellow submarine

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I feel like the normal human experience that most resembles the timeframe it would take to implode is popping a balloon. Like, not in terms of forces involved or anything, but just how fast it appears to happen, how our brains can't even process it until it's over.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Yeah that's what I understood too from reading various articles. But Cameron says that the Titan, theoretically, has a network of sensors on the hull to tell the pilot the hull's integrity. The idea being that if the lights lit up the pilot could abandon the dive and rise back up. Theoretically. Practically he says with the carbon fiber material the pilot might get warned of an impending breech but would have no time to actually do anything about it. So he may very well have died after making GBS threads in his pants if he was warned about it ahead of time.

At least that's what I understood from the article.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
In any case, I think we can be certain that it was very quick

Better than chocking to death in a submersed coffin imo

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
According to Twitter, the porthole was rated for 1300m, and they were going down to 4000.

Some Bethesda levels of meeting technical requirements there

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mister Facetious posted:

According to Twitter, the porthole was rated for 1300m, and they were going down to 4000.

Some Bethesda levels of meeting technical requirements there

Fallout 20,000

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The complaint I saw, and I am not a materials engineer, was that carbon fiber doesn't hold up well to repeated stress. Which is fine when it's a bike frame and you can curse and lay down another few thousand, but is very bad on a vehicle that by its nature will be stressed repeatedly on every trip.
There are two main armchair engineer complaints:

- Carbon fiber composites are only very strong in tension. They are not particularly strong in shear or compression (typically slightly weaker than steel). The shear and compression properties mostly depend on the plastic matrix around the fibers themselves. Essentially you have a mesh of fibers inside a bunch of glue. If you put force on it so that you're trying to stretch the fibers, they're very strong. If you put force on it so that you're trying to just bend & push them around, the matrix will crack instead and the fibers will move. You can build a good tank for holding pressure in easily since the pressure is trying to stretch your tank walls bigger and elongate the fibers. Holding pressure out is harder

- One of the nifty things about steel is it has a fatigue limit. If the amount of stress you put on it is small enough, you can load and unload it infinitely without any microscopic crack growth, so it never fails. Aluminum doesn't have that, any cyclic loading will increase cracks and eventually break it. Crack growth in aluminum is at least pretty well characterized though, and there is some ability to inspect for how far cracks have gotten. Carbon fiber composites don't have a fatigue limit either, but crack growth is less well understood + there is less you can inspect before it catastrophically breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

pumpinglemma posted:

They didn't use bad carbon fiber but the company that built the tube for them did a poo poo job. ~4 years ago a 6x5' section delaminated and had to be cut out. The person that did the repair quit the company when the company refused to have it inspected to make sure the repair was done correctly.

It's really god drat important to completely saturate the fibers with epoxy resin because on its own carbon fiber is just loosely woven cloth.