Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Oxyclean posted:

I'm assuming there's a yet-unrevealed explanation as to why The Witness was sent off into deep space during the collapse, otherwise he probably could have just done what he did this time and touch the Traveler to figure out where the veil was?

There was also that bit when the Traveler broke free of Ghaul's chains and woke up the pyramids at the end of Red War - the implication at the time felt like it was a "oh they know where we are now" but surely they already knew since the traveler didn't move since the collapse? I wonder if something was stopping the pyramids from coming sooner, or if it was more that they were waiting for the time to be right, like linking the veil and traveler would have not been possible sooner.

We sort of know why the Witness was out there from the ending to the quest for Parasite:

The ending dialogue to Parasite posted:

Ghost: It’s over.

Queen Mara Sov: Not quite. Our little friend here still owes us information.

Savathûn’s Worm: Me? Make good? After your deception?

Queen Mara Sov: Perhaps you’d prefer my earlier proposition of your insides lining the floor?

Savathûn’s Worm: Always violent. Fine. Have information. But only this. No more. Ever. Truth you seek. Humanity’s Collapse. Even the Witness deceived. The Witch Queen did its bidding. Earned its trust. Rode alongside to apocalypse. Watched many burn. But the Witness turned a violent gaze to Traveler. Witch Queen projected lies. Clever deceptions wrapped in shadow. Tides turned. Witness sent away, back amongst the stars.

Ghost: Are you saying Savathûn deceived the Witness? Is she the reason humanity survived?

Savathûn’s Worm: Not the reason. A reason. Not for humanity, but for Traveler. My promise, delivered. Will say no more. Ever.

My interpretation of this has always been that the Witness rode into Sol looking to finally pin down the Traveller and get the final shape rolling but when they actually got there thanks to Savathun some poo poo they didn't understand happened, the Veil vanished, and as far as they could tell the Traveller "died". Thinking that their entire plan is now ruined the whole fleet turns around and goes to sulk in deep space until the explosion of light from the end of the D2 campaign reveals the Traveller is still alive and they go "WAIT, WHAT" and start heading back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

we don’t know long the Golden Age lasted or where the other civilizations are so imo it’s totally plausible the Witness hosed around in dark space for 100 years rifling through the endless expanse of nothing until our first Collapse (which probably also took a while, just like our irl collapse is doing)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm about ready for it, how annoying is Dares of Eternity on Legend? I want the Vidmaster title and all the goodies lol

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I'm about ready for it, how annoying is Dares of Eternity on Legend? I want the Vidmaster title and all the goodies lol

Not /that/ bad - you can probably just hit up the LFG tool and pug it, I was doing it regularly when chasing red borders. Just go in with a somewhat serious loadout/build - I think all 3 champion types can pop up so the more you can counter, the better.

Alternative hit up the discord and you might be able to drag in some goons to help you and it will probably be a breeze.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oxyclean posted:

Not /that/ bad - you can probably just hit up the LFG tool and pug it, I was doing it regularly when chasing red borders. Just go in with a somewhat serious loadout/build - I think all 3 champion types can pop up so the more you can counter, the better.

Alternative hit up the discord and you might be able to drag in some goons to help you and it will probably be a breeze.

Cool, I figured something like that but wanted to make sure

So far only really annoying snag has been exactly zero lightning rounds showing up lmao, but I'm sure I'll get em sooner or later. Also am I right that the DoE ship is just the Marathon? It sure looks like it and that's rad

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
It’s close to the Marathon, but it needs a big fuckoff nacelle on the back

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'm assuming there's a yet-unrevealed explanation as to why The Witness was sent off into deep space during the collapse, otherwise he probably could have just done what he did this time and touch the Traveler to figure out where the veil was?

There was also that bit when the Traveler broke free of Ghaul's chains and woke up the pyramids at the end of Red War - the implication at the time felt like it was a "oh they know where we are now" but surely they already knew since the traveler didn't move since the collapse? I wonder if something was stopping the pyramids from coming sooner, or if it was more that they were waiting for the time to be right, like linking the veil and traveler would have not been possible sooner.

I could be wrong, but wasn't the whole thing in D1 was that the Traveler was dead or near dead? The opening cinematic said something along the lines of "with its dying breath the Traveler created the Ghosts".

I'd assume the Witness was like "oh poo poo, we went too far, the Traveler is dead and we lost the Veil. Retreat to dark space and figure out what to do next!". When Gaul was defeated, the Traveler sprung back to life and here we are.

What I'd like an answer to was what was the Veil doing when the Witnesses' people found it. Was it just cruising around space, ala the Traveler, giving out Darkness sub-classes?

I assume the third darkness subclass is the ultimate key through the portal into the Traveler, we'll get some seed of it and in the first mission of Final Shape we get the power and fly through the portal to start the campaign.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

e: Yeah, I totally forgot about the "Traveler dead?" stuff and the significance of it breaking free from Ghaul being a "it woke up" sort of thing.

RBA Starblade posted:

So far only really annoying snag has been exactly zero lightning rounds showing up lmao, but I'm sure I'll get em sooner or later. Also am I right that the DoE ship is just the Marathon? It sure looks like it and that's rad

I didn't consider that connection, (probably cause I was not exposed to a bunch of Marathon Lore when I first looked at it) but yeah, probably.

I think Lightning rounds are more common in Legend. Legend also makes it much easier to hit the weekly score threshold challenge - which awards you with red border dares gun that you need. (But only once per week - despite the challenge being available to all 3 characters each week.)

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I think the way it went is, Nezarec had the Veil with him, but Savathun killed him, took it and stashed it on Neptune where she knew the Ishtar Collective would find it and convinced the Witness the Veil was elsewhere, so he left to go find it, but left Rhulk to keep an eye on Savathun.

btw, I didn't even know about this until now, Savathun writes a letter to the Witness to basically just say :owned: after she gets the light.

quote:

Tell me, O Witness mine—does the Light that fills this once dreadfully tiresome space blind you from its newfound glory?

You expected the same old correspondence from your dragooned errand boy, no doubt. Surely, just as you expected your machinations within my throne world to continue unfettered until your definition of eternity came to pass.

Well, don't I have some unfortunate news for you then. But this comes as no surprise, of that I'm sure—you're always watching.

Let me share my perspective then, which you must be waiting for with bated breath: my acquisition of the Light itself is delightful proof of an existence higher even than yours—a sort of karmic wit, if you will.

Though I remember not all the eons-long hardships I endured at your whim, the nefarious sentiment lingers within my mind, overcome only by the pleasure of your assured discontent.

It was this said pleasure that gave me the strength to disperse the Light throughout this prison you called my home. Since it is now to remain my domain, it has been decorated to reflect as such.

No longer does this plane live only with the lackluster ambiance of Darkness. It is brighter now. My truth can finally thrive.

No longer do the walls that birthed our parasitic chains house your machinations. The tools and parasites within, shattered.

And no longer does your Subjugator subjugate. He lies ensnared within his obtrusive eyesore, for upon Rhulk's attempt to subdue me with that toy he's annoyingly always on about—his "Upended"—I was able to counteract it, showing firsthand the power bequeathed to me in my new state. Now, the once-great Pyramid lies fractured, a sight you will become familiar with.

So try and send your Scorn, or your Disciples, or even bring your many selves to reclaim your loss, if you must. But this is my domain now. And you shall never set foot inside it, even if I must draw my final breath to keep it that way.

You'd think it would've been easier for Savathun to just try and make a truce with us without the whole "pretending to be Osiris" shtick, but I guess that's what either season 22 or season 23 is for. :v:

MJeff fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 22, 2023

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Yeah, Nez had the veil

quote:

The sound that escaped me resembled a roar.

A psychic echo.

It soared through the air and pierced every corner of my ship.

Anger coursed through me as I toppled the ground in a heap.

I wheezed with each breath and clutched at my chest.

I watched that witch saunter out…

Like she'd won.

My ship rumbled as she wrested her primordial prize from it.

I felt hatred—

Deep, unchallenged hatred.

My claws punctured the floor, etched new patterns into it.

I dragged myself forward.

Whispers danced around me, trillions of voices melded together in my favorite symphony.

I had always welcomed death, and this time would be no different.

An agonizing sensation shot through me.

It was as if an arrow had bored its way through my chest.

It burned, and I collapsed among the rubble.

A green hue enveloped me.

I was unfamiliar with this—her magic festering within me. Shackling me.

My body twisted.

My breaths grew thin.

My limbs became heavy.

Torturous.

No… she could not hold me. I would not allow it.

This would not be my end.

"My Witness," I whispered as the void I once commanded claimed me.

She strangled him with Strand and took the Veil from him. Nez was not happy about it.

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat

quote:

O Witness mine

This reminds me, did we ever get any clarification on the relationship between Savathun and Ahamkaras?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
lol Strand was so absolutely supposed to be in Witch Queen.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
hive magic is also green and always has been

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

MJeff posted:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

PERMACAV 50 posted:

This reminds me, did we ever get any clarification on the relationship between Savathun and Ahamkaras?

I thought she just Took one and also a lot of people like to say that to be lovely now lol

sunday at work
Apr 6, 2011

"Man is the animal that thinks something is wrong."

MJeff posted:

I know this is probably just a conspiracy theory but the layout of the arenas in the Witch Queen missions, especially the last mission, make so much more sense if you had gotten Grapple during the campaign. Play the encounter against the three Hive Guardians in the final mission and tell me you weren't supposed to be grappling between those four towers at the corners of the arena.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

MJeff posted:

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

MJeff posted:

just scratch out the word "strand" and replace it with "Deepsight"

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

PERMACAV 50 posted:

the O <word> Mine is a phrase of power that isn't exclusive to the Ahamkara. Calus pokes at the phrasing a few times, and Savathun uses it.

Sav does have a connection with the Ahamkara because they are beings that make lies real. She is the god of lies and deception, so a being that can turn a lie about reality into physical truth is right up her alley. Riven was the one she got a hold of, but WQ showed she was interested in them for a while.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe

RBA Starblade posted:

Also am I right that the DoE ship is just the Marathon? It sure looks like it and that's rad

I thought the dares ship was the lumpy comet, is there another one?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

occluded posted:

I thought the dares ship was the lumpy comet, is there another one?

Yeah the lumpy comet

The Marathon is Deimos hollowed out and with an engine strapped to it

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

RBA Starblade posted:

I played around 70 DoE matches to get the Xur turd ship. I got the lightning round maybe 4 times

:shrug:

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
The lightning round does seem to come more often in Legendares, at least in my experience.

It's also the easier mode if you realize that the last boss isn't random like it is in normal mode. It's on a weekly rotation and it tells you which one in the modifiers at the activity launch screen. 100% chance for infinite heavy on the boss fight.

For the middle section, you can either wait for the circles to line up, or you can launch yourself backwards and as long as you don't move until you land, you will go straight through. (This may depend on your platform, it works 99% of the time for me on pc with a high framerate).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Yeah the thing about Legend Dares is that you do the first section and then everybody has infinite Gjallarhorn for the rest of the activity. So it's really not difficult at all, just kinda time consuming.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

RocketRaygun posted:

Sav does have a connection with the Ahamkara because they are beings that make lies real.

Can you elaborate on this? I just thought the 'hams were like dragon-genies that wanted you to wish and then twisted it to their benefit, but as long as you didn't wish or were very careful with your wish and intention (like Mara?) you could still harness their power~

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

ex post facho posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I just thought the 'hams were like dragon-genies that wanted you to wish and then twisted it to their benefit, but as long as you didn't wish or were very careful with your wish and intention (like Mara?) you could still harness their power~

quote:

Mara had considered this, and found an answer. "Go forth and find me a power unknown to all the other powers of this world. Return it to me, and I shall make of it the cornerstone of my new city, where the Awoken shall dream of all they have been and all that is yet to come."

So Uldren went out voyaging among the worlds, swift as a blueshift ghost. In time, he returned to the Reef with a creature not larger than his hand, saying, "Behold, Sister, the lie that makes itself true. This is an Ahamkara."

https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/telic-i

Basically, this is what Ahamkara are. They are lies that make themselves true.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

PERMACAV 50 posted:

it's used by a lot of people, though the ahamkara use it by default. it's supposed to be a dominating phrase, at its most effective probably the same as "would you kindly"

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
whispering "oh emerald mine" @ elon

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

General Battuta posted:

whispering "oh titanic mine" @ elon

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

ex post facho posted:

More lore! More Lore

Ikora, from the WQ CE Lore posted:

Ahamkara willingly seek destruction in order to be taken as
trinkets by Guardians. You must know this. You’ve tried to
exploit those trinkets as thoroughly as the other factions. But
do you understand the metaphysics behind their desire?
I do. I once wished to know more about Ahamkara. Wish
granted.

Ahamkara believe that by transforming themselves, by
metamorphosing from monsters into treasures, they become
more real. More important ontologically. It is the gap between
reality as is and reality as desired that they feed on, Arach. And
Guardians are the richest, finest source of reality as desired that
they have ever met.

What have Ahamkara artifacts ever done but instill delusions
of grandeur? A solipsistic madness: “I am more real than what
surrounds me”?

Why is this?

The skulls of dire Ahamkara speak to me. They know I want to
know the truth, and so they whisper to me of a path they climb.
They call it the Anathematic Arc.

They are going somewhere. Somewhere they consider more real.
Guardians are part of how they get there.

Skull of Dire Ahamkara posted:

"O BEARER MINE."

What kind of talking skull would address its host that way? A stiff, stuck-up old fossil, not me. Ahamkara: the illusion that one's ego depends on an object, or an idea, or a body. Some people say you should have no ahamkara. Some people say you need to have the right ahamkara. All I know is that YOU are not an illusion. Understand? This world around you, the people you meet—they're a little thin, right? Cardboard and drywall. Cheap theater. Come on, try it out! Say: "I am more real than this." Feels good, doesn't it? "I am the only real person here." Isn't it like their insults and their bullets just went a little… soft?

I came to find you, only you, because you're special. You're from somewhere real. And together we can burn our way back there. Can't we, o player mine?

Claws of Ahamkara posted:

It's suffocating here, this prison. Do us a favor, o bearer ours. Still your mind; invite us to enter the realm of your capricious thoughts. Your mind is vociferous, addled with worry and doubt. We can extinguish these trifles. Would you like that?

Yes, we are here. We are not the photons on your screen, or the voice in your head, or the words you read. Shut your eyes—tightly—and you may see us. At least a part of us. Make us real, and in turn we shall reify your thoughts, your dreams.

You gotta be careful about harnessing that Ahamkara power, ex post facho, you never know what you might bring back with you after using it

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So the ahamkara intentionally make themselves pieces of exotic armor because they want to become real by being something that real people seek and treasure and find value in because of their utility in the game that we play?

That is.

Jesus, Bungie.

:shepface:

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

MJeff posted:

So the ahamkara intentionally make themselves pieces of exotic armor because they want to become real by being something that real people seek and treasure and find value in because of their utility in the game that we play?

That is.

Jesus, Bungie.

This is why, this is why, this is why I'm hot

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IIRC Savathun is also trying to pull something similar (become more real.)

I'd like to think it ties into the way she took over the twitter account and told Paul Tassi to touch grass, but it might also just be that the twitter bullshit meant they couldn't really do a similar stunt for LF.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

MJeff posted:

That is.

Jesus, Bungie.

You are welcome.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Oxyclean posted:

I'd like to think it ties into the way she took over the twitter account and told Paul Tassi to touch grass, but it might also just be that the twitter bullshit meant they couldn't really do a similar stunt for LF.

Savathun has also posted on bungie.net before, I believe?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

oh it's all just basic pataphysics then

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

General Battuta posted:

You are welcome, oh reader mine.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah I think the Witch Queen CE lore covers this in part. Which, thank you again, General B.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Meiteron posted:

More lore! More Lore

You gotta be careful about harnessing that Ahamkara power, ex post facho, you never know what you might bring back with you after using it

Hold on I know this, don't take the deal, you get locked out of the Final Shape if you do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocketRaygun
Nov 7, 2015

Ahamkara probably don't have a true form. Riven takes many forms throughout the stories with her in it, and the way it's phrased is that the forms she takes are how she's feeling at the moment.

During the Ahamkara hunt (as depicted on the Last Wish raid guns), they took a TON of different forms, ranging from an actual dragon that Saladin wanted, to a player in a card game, to a guardian's mother.

Ahamkara are only known as Wish Dragons because that's what we want to see from them. They took the form most appealing to the reader to convey their nature, but their form is just as malleable as their lies.

quote:

[Language] is a [virus] that infects the minds of [humans].

A single [word] will drive them to [rage] or [lust] or [weeping].

O for the right [word] said in the right [voice]!

O to see their [hearts] well with [longing]!

O to see their [desire] laid bare in their [chest], so juicy and succulent for the taking!