Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlurredSpeech609
Oct 29, 2012

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What did that one button in the otherwise featureless wall do anyway?

quote:

We only have one button, that’s it. It should be like an elevator — it shouldn’t take a lot of skill.

https://youtu.be/29co_Hksk6o?t=184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
#ripbozo

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004

thanks now we will have a huge derail by gamers on human reaction time in milliseconds

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

latinotwink1997 posted:

We all live in a yellow white submar-*crunch*

We all died in a yellowexplosively decompressed submarine
yellowexplosively decompressed submarine
yellowexplosively decompressed submarine

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Carpet posted:

I don't think there'll be any money left to pay him after the families of the billionaires have settled their lawsuits.

Based on interviews, new stories, and the nervous laugh the CEO gave explaining that actually he’s losing money on the trips when he got interviewed 6 months ago I don’t think they’ll be any money for those lawsuits either.

It sounds like a really rich guy realized there was a limited amount of time before the Titanic wreck had degraded too much for him to bilk billionaires out of their money to see it, and he completely underestimated how expensive and complicated deep sea tourism was so he tried to fake it to make it by building a cheap sub and hoped everything would work out for him.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

buglord posted:

Yeah as far as dying goes this seems like the quickest way to go about it. And if it’s faster than a nerve impulse you at least can’t feel it, let alone perceive it?

I know we covered the chunky sauce bits, but do clothes react the same way? It’s just a mixture of cotton and nylon so it probably gets torn but I feel like it wouldn’t suffer the same fate as the wearers?

They've found shoes at the titanic wreck, albeit obviously covered in dirt and often whatever grows down there. Keep in mind however that the Titanic wasn't a pressurized vessel collapsing rapidly inwards, and just sank instead.

Big problem is that if it imploded there probably weren't shoes left to find. Everything got annihilated inside of that sub once it imploded, and it's parts of the hull that are left to drift to the bottom.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Jun 22, 2023

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

buglord posted:

Yeah as far as dying goes this seems like the quickest way to go about it. And if it’s faster than a nerve impulse you at least can’t feel it, let alone perceive it?

I know we covered the chunky sauce bits, but do clothes react the same way? It’s just a mixture of cotton and nylon so it probably gets torn but I feel like it wouldn’t suffer the same fate as the wearers?

It would have flash-burned with the rest of them, though leaving some Rapturesque sets of empty clothes would be pretty awesomely creepy.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

brillliant observation from the master story teller

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

lmao the replies, shitheads are really latching onto the "they died because the CEO was TOO WOKE to hire 50 year old white guys!!1!11!!" narrative aren't they?

Gotta skip past bluechecks to read any human replies

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I bet that safety guy they fired when he brought up all the ways this sub was gonna kill people is feeling pretty vindicated right now.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

They look so cute when they're eating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufI0PTckUx8

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Sydin posted:

lmao the replies, shitheads are really latching onto the "they died because the CEO was TOO WOKE to hire 50 year old white guys!!1!11!!" narrative aren't they?

The woke mind virus is powerful, powerful enough to entice men to their watery graves

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.

Oh you know he’s seen the memes.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

buglord posted:

A pressure wave is a pressure wave. There's video of clothes being blast off people where wheels explode nearby, but the person is still in once piece.
The clothing will be just as torn apart as your bones would be at that force.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

Sydin posted:

if only the 50 year old white guy had another 50 year old white guy!!!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Ralph Crammed In posted:

What did that one button in the otherwise featureless wall do anyway?

It lit up green when pressed OP.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Regalingualius posted:

Ahh, see, there’s the problem

It was UP UP DOWN DOWN LEFT RIGHT LEFT RIGHT SELECT START

actually if you press select before start, it switches to two-player mode, and that's what hosed them

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

buglord posted:

Obviously we have no way of knowing what explicitly went down but from a physics standpoint of what should happen if the sub were to implode at a 4km depth, everything inside was flash fried at tens of thousands of degrees celcius by the air in the sub igniting from the sudden drastic pressure increase and then subsequently crushed. The clothes are ash.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Buglord

Gyrotica posted:

It would have flash-burned with the rest of them, though leaving some Rapturesque sets of empty clothes would be pretty awesomely creepy.

Okay I’ve heard of the burning thing twice now. How does that happen? Were there flammables keeping the ship running or does physics get funny when this much stuff happens at once in such a short period of time?

e: oh thank you Sydin

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

ThinkTank posted:

I bet that safety guy they fired when he brought up all the ways this sub was gonna kill people is feeling pretty vindicated right now.
Was thinking about this too. I gotta think reporters have tried to get quotes from him. I assume he's staying away from the whole mess

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Something I don't quite understand is how the water rushes into the breach, rather than simply falling with gravity. Is the entire water column under a bit of tension, and then once there's an opening in the pressure vessel, that tension forces the water in?

My Dad Nintendo
Oct 7, 2005

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It sounds like a really rich guy realized there was a limited amount of time before the Titanic wreck had degraded too much for him to bilk billionaires out of their money to see it, and he completely underestimated how expensive and complicated deep sea tourism was so he tried to fake it to make it by building a cheap sub and hoped everything would work out for him.

This tracks more-so than being passionate to the point he'd sacrifice money or any other motivation

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The best you can say about this shitshow is “at least it was quick”

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Sydin posted:

Obviously we have no way of knowing what explicitly went down but from a physics standpoint of what should happen if the sub were to implode at a 4km depth, everything inside was flash fried at tens of thousands of degrees celcius by the air in the sub igniting from the sudden drastic pressure increase and then subsequently crushed. The clothes are ash.

As a side note, do we know for sure it was at 4000 meters and not descending? What I saw of the presser seemed vague on that point.

Obviously unless they were close to the surface there isn't going to be anything left to find. I'm just wondering at what depth this thing gave out given that the windows alone were supposedly only rated for 1.3k-1.6k meters.

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

Chamale posted:

Something I don't quite understand is how the water rushes into the breach, rather than simply falling with gravity. Is the entire water column under a bit of tension, and then once there's an opening in the pressure vessel, that tension forces the water in?

*blinks*

https://youtu.be/K5g6P8-GmBg

This is a good explanation.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Gettin' a real Moa from Zelda II: The Adventure of Link vibe from that Tweet's pic:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I don't think anything gets totally incinerated, there's just not enough time before the water hits it a microsecond later.

The air gets heated up to super-high temperatures because it's rapidly compressed, and the partial pressure of oxygen is so high that some things would start to spontaneously combust... but there's near-zero time to actually burn.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Chamale posted:

don't make me tap the delta P video

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

big nipples big life posted:

What are the first 2?

Drunk high schooler jumped off a boat in the Caribbean on a dare and video footage shows he likely jumped in next to a shark
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4033433

Russian tourist in Egypt got eaten alive by a tiger shark in front of onlookers and his dad
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tourists-watch-russian-man-get-devoured-by-shark-on-egypt-beach

Potential :nms: video in both

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

buglord posted:

Okay I’ve heard of the burning thing twice now. How does that happen? Were there flammables keeping the ship running or does physics get funny when this much stuff happens at once in such a short period of time?

Compressing air causes its temperature to rise. This is at an extremely basic level how a diesel engine works: air is injected into an ignition chamber and them compressed until it's very hot, then fuel is injected which combusts at that heat level, driving the piston and creating work.

For reference, a diesel engine compresses air from one atmo to 15-23 atmos. The sub imploding would have been a compression from one atmo to four hundred atmos. That generates enough heat to ignite basically anything, the people and things inside instantaneously burned up like fuel in a diesel engine.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

buglord posted:

e: oh thank you Sydin

Think of the hull like a giant piston in a diesel motor crushing the air bubble in less than 1 second. The sheer speed/friction of the event causes the air to superheat and turn anything organic into ash.

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Hazo posted:

Drunk high schooler jumped off a boat in the Caribbean on a dare and video footage shows he likely jumped in next to a shark

Russian tourist in Egypt got eaten alive by a tiger shark in front of onlookers and his dad
https://www.thedailybeast.com/tourists-watch-russian-man-get-devoured-by-shark-on-egypt-beach

thanks

holy poo poo that 2nd video

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 22, 2023

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnwwlkUkALU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Hazo posted:

I mean, if someone came jumping into my living room and started making a mess, I probably be a little irritated too. Sharks just show the irritation in more toothy ways than most humans do

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
I'm glad it sounds like they had a quick death.

I will miss having a tube full of billionaires lost somewhere under the ocean as a monument to man's hubris.

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
For sale: baby sub, never unimploded

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Dark orca

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

So the entire point of waivers is to prevent the company from facing a lawsuit because it then legally puts the sole responsibility of risk on the participant, but I bet these waivers were just written in MSWord by the CEO from some template he found online and were never reviewed by any lawyer because he's a dumbass cheapskate.

What am saying is I hope the waivers are deemed invalid and they get super sued.