Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Saucer Hovers posted:

i cant beat the lvl 70 capstone dungeon as a never-seen-a-guide ice sorcerer
the bosses hits all one or two shot me
What level are you because outside of anything else that is the biggest decider of how many shots you can take.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I just got done with every side quest in every zone and wowza there's a lot of poo poo choices in there. Clicking corpses in a specific sub-region for 20 minutes until a cache drops then killing 50-100 of whatever to unlock it. Farming ore veins and flowers for rare drops. Finding random drops off mobs both in and out of dungeons that you then bring to an NPC in town. Repeat all those at least once per zone, super engaging :effort:

But there were a few multi-step quests that fleshed out individual characters which were nice. Lyndon had a brother, they were banging the same woman, she killed him when he found out the kids weren't his :psyduck: Dude's had a rough life. More of those, Blizz, less bear asses.

Got a few dozen dungeons to clear out for the codex and then I can skip whatever guilt-free in every season going forward.

SettingSun posted:

I wonder if any of their playtesters ever considered that one of the top builds for sorcerer ended up being stacking all 4 defensive skills, unstable currents, and arc lash to delete everything.

Pretty sure most of their playtesters were running with the equivalent of basic mode in D3 where you pick one skill from each category and only through campaign up to level 50.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Swilo posted:

Clicking corpses in a specific sub-region for 20 minutes until a cache drops then killing 50-100 of whatever to unlock it.

why would you do this. its just there as something to do if it drops lol

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

SettingSun posted:

What level are you because outside of anything else that is the biggest decider of how many shots you can take.

but im equal level
im just dumb

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Philthy posted:

Am I reading this wrong, because D3 had all of this. You moved stats around as you wanted, but you could also use white blue and yellows as bases to change into legendaries as well, giving you even more options. D3 was far easier for customizing equipment than in D4 I'm finding.
What I mean is that, if I drop an Aspect or a Unique that sounds like fun, I can probably slot it in (while most likely losing dps if it's offensive cause most likely it doesn't have optimized stats, but still).

In D3 I always felt like I had to run certain specific sets/legendaries because of the massive synergies; so maybe I had the choice between a few, but that was it - If I slot in the sword that summons a giant Demon with linked chains, it will do 1/1000 of the damage of my main attack because it doesn't have the synergy bonus. It won't benefit from my build defining aspect(s), but I would probably be able to run it as a secondary source of damage in D4 since it would benefit from the more generic damage boost that are common at the moment;

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 22, 2023

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
Frost flurry rogue with tons of attack speed is absolutely ripping everything right now. Boots that auto spread chill, chill caltrops and tons of damage to chill/frozen enemies and vulnerable damage. Having a great time running into the middle of dense packs and deleting everything serious instantly. Then just mopping up the the stragglers. Absolutely insane. Flurry range needs to be nerfed.

latinotwink1997
Jan 2, 2008

Taste my Ball of Hope, foul dragon!

VectorSigma posted:

i feel the need

the need for waheed

And I was like, Emiliooooo!!

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

but im equal level
im just dumb

I cleared the Elias fight at 61 on my Rogue but it took probably 30 tries.

Some things that helped a lot to make me less explode-able:

-The aspect that gives you a ~3k HP barrier for 10 seconds every 30s when you engage an elite helped a ton with mitigating stray hits from his annoying bullet hell attacks
-Make sure you're drinking a relevant elixir. 30% bonus HP was the one I used, but I would imagine a fat armor or bonus damage to whatever Elias counts as (a cultist?) would also be reasonable.
-When he summons lots of adds, I gave up on trying to hit Elias directly and just went into full evasive mode running laps around the outside of the arena to give maximum space for dodging bullets, stopping only to drop an attack on a clump of enemies chasing me (poison imbue flurry for me, dunno what you would cast). He seems to go into a series of attacks where he shoots out a ton of bullets and then cools down a bit and only does smaller attacks, so just stay the hell away when he's blasting lots of bullets.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Loving the legendaries in this.

Found a 2 handed mace for my Druid that causes Trample to summon 6 landslides. THEN I found a ring that causes every landslide to trigger twice. And they stack.

Every fight is just charging into the biggest concentration of enemies as a giant bear while the ground literally slams into them 12 times. If they're still alive I petrify them and use the regular landslide, which also hits twice.

Scoss
Aug 17, 2015

RaySmuckles posted:

Frost flurry rogue with tons of attack speed is absolutely ripping everything right now. Boots that auto spread chill, chill caltrops and tons of damage to chill/frozen enemies and vulnerable damage. Having a great time running into the middle of dense packs and deleting everything serious instantly. Then just mopping up the the stragglers. Absolutely insane. Flurry range needs to be nerfed.

I have the chill boots but I've been kind of ignoring the frost synergies on Rogue since it seems to have ultra narrow skill support (caltrops.. imbue..). Do you use chill imbue? What other aspects?

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

Away all Goats posted:

Found a 2 handed mace for my Druid that causes Trample to summon 6 landslides. THEN I found a ring that causes every landslide to trigger twice. And they stack.

Every fight is just charging into the biggest concentration of enemies as a giant bear while the ground literally slams into them 12 times. If they're still alive I petrify them and use the regular landslide, which also hits twice.

This build is hella fun. Landslide is a fun button to push. Whack whack.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Away all Goats posted:

I think this is the way to go imo. If your items start having bonuses like "landslide deal +5000% damage", then it becomes mandatory if you want to play landslide. I'd rather have to chose between multiple sidegrades, even if one may be slightly better than the other.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

i just dont get it at all this zero to sixty difficulty curve. zero problems doing anything for seventy levels and oh, sorry, the last hurdle one shots you. its bad.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

skill issue

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Scoss posted:

I have the chill boots but I've been kind of ignoring the frost synergies on Rogue since it seems to have ultra narrow skill support (caltrops.. imbue..). Do you use chill imbue? What other aspects?

I use shadow imbue and it's pretty good. It dots, stuns and gives you energy back. I'm only in the forties though so I haven't messed around with the other imbues yet though. Frost sounds fun though I'll probably give that a shot

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

and when i teleported back to repair i started me out at the very beginning of the dungeon on return? holy cow i think im in love!

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Scoss posted:

5k barrier from elites, immunity bubble when not healthy, killing vulnerable grants 50% energy regen, 3 resource for basic attack on elites, 50% basic attack speed, 360 flurry, a unique that builds attack speed on hit, basic attack increases core damage per hit up to 30%, and something else

Yeah, frost embue

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

and when i teleported back to repair i started me out at the very beginning of the dungeon on return? holy cow i think im in love!
Well that ain't right. It should act like a normal dungeon!

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
One of the more interesting future changes coming that I'm looking forward to is how they're gonna tweak resistances. I doubt they want everyone just slotting skulls in jewelry and having most of your bar being defense skills which seems really common rn.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Bring back Increased XP Gain gems.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

i just dont get it at all this zero to sixty difficulty curve. zero problems doing anything for seventy levels and oh, sorry, the last hurdle one shots you. its bad.
I think this is a victim of the end game itemization in general; damage reduction seems to be very much hosed at the moment, with resistances being completely useless (so good luck if you don't know that) and certain classes having exclusive access to certain mechanics that seem to be much more effective than others.

I could tank the WT3 capstone boss as a level 58 Barb because stacking DR on Fortify + Armor means you are basically unkillable - the only attack that killed me was the multihit 5 seeking projectiles if they all hit. It would probably take me way more attempts (and a bullethell 1hit-1kill approach) if I tried to do that as a lvl 58 Sorc, given similar level of equipment.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

That Italian Guy posted:

I think this is a victim of the end game itemization in general; damage reduction seems to be very much hosed at the moment, with resistances being completely useless (so good luck if you don't know that) and certain classes having exclusive access to certain mechanics that seem to be much more effective than others.

I could tank the WT3 capstone boss as a level 58 Barb because stacking DR on Fortify + Armor means you are basically unkillable - the only attack that killed me was the multihit 5 seeking projectiles if they all hit. It would probably take me way more attempts (and a bullethell 1hit-1kill approach) if I tried to do that as a lvl 58 Sorc, given similar level of equipment.

i face tanked the capstones on a necro i was stacking resists on lol

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Maybe I got lucky or just paid more attention to gearing between 30-60 but it’s been a pretty steady journey for me through the game into WT4. No brick wall at 70 or 75 like everyone says.

The biggest hurdle is when you first get into WT4 at like 55-63 or whatever and single enemies are a threat. It’s kind of a fun change of pace to have to actually be careful. It might slow down for a bit but once you get your first weapon drop with +400 DPS over what you’re currently using it’s evens right back out. I’ve got holy grail items that I’m still chasing (those unique gloves with a bunch of Lucky Hit stuff) and chasing stronger versions of the aspects I imprinted 20 levels ago. Oh and the paragon board. I’m glad they didn’t go full Diablo Immortal in this because I definitely would have thrown down $200 in a moment of weakness to unlock all the different stuff on the paragon boards that I want to try.

Game is still fun for me at 78.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

That Italian Guy posted:

What I mean is that, if I drop an Aspect or a Unique that sounds like fun, I can probably slot it in (while most likely losing dps if it's offensive cause most likely it doesn't have optimized stats, but still).

In D3 I always felt like I had to run certain specific sets/legendaries because of the massive synergies; so maybe I had the choice between a few, but that was it - If I slot in the sword that summons a giant Demon with linked chains, it will do 1/1000 of the damage of my main attack because it doesn't have the synergy bonus. It won't benefit from my build defining aspect(s), but I would probably be able to run it as a secondary source of damage in D4 since it would benefit from the more generic damage boost that are common at the moment;

That's the entire reason the non-set gem exists in D3. Literally "So long as you don't have on a set, every legendary gives you a blanket % damage buff and reduced damage taken." Run that, and you can put together whatever combo you think looks cool and have it be pretty much fine. Or better than fine, one of the very top necro builds in the last season used a pile of random legendaries instead of a set. Not being able to mix and match sets and random gear is a drawback, sure, but it absolutely existed, and it's kinda a head scratcher that for all the people pooping on D3 for "I have no build choice only set items allowed" this never enters in to the conversation.

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Swilo posted:

I just got done with every side quest in every zone and wowza there's a lot of poo poo choices in there. Clicking corpses in a specific sub-region for 20 minutes until a cache drops then killing 50-100 of whatever to unlock it. Farming ore veins and flowers for rare drops. Finding random drops off mobs both in and out of dungeons that you then bring to an NPC in town. Repeat all those at least once per zone, super engaging :effort:

But there were a few multi-step quests that fleshed out individual characters which were nice. Lyndon had a brother, they were banging the same woman, she killed him when he found out the kids weren't his :psyduck: Dude's had a rough life. More of those, Blizz, less bear asses.

There were a lot of Bear rear end quests, but there were a fair amount of cool story quests that flesh out zones and side characters. I really enjoyed the one in Hawezar that started with the guy with vines growing out of his body. Or the questline about Peta and how witches are chosen/born and their relation to the Tree of Whispers.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

LoD builds are really fun because you sometimes get to wear oddball stuff like Tyrael's Might or Pride's Fall that would be auto-salvage in any other setup but become BiS due to the particular quirks of the build.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

RaySmuckles posted:

You'll really need to explain what difficulty this is before deciding if it's good or not. I can one shot elites with flurry in T4 helltides with no imbues. I'm not convinced it's the frost part that makes it good.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Stux posted:

why would you do this. its just there as something to do if it drops lol

some people can't not do everything. can't ask a scorpion not to sting.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Gwaihir posted:

That's the entire reason the non-set gem exists in D3. Literally "So long as you don't have on a set, every legendary gives you a blanket % damage buff and reduced damage taken." Run that, and you can put together whatever combo you think looks cool and have it be pretty much fine. Or better than fine, one of the very top necro builds in the last season used a pile of random legendaries instead of a set. Not being able to mix and match sets and random gear is a drawback, sure, but it absolutely existed, and it's kinda a head scratcher that for all the people pooping on D3 for "I have no build choice only set items allowed" this never enters in to the conversation.

The trend you'll notice is that the people who poo poo on D3 never played it past launch so they completely lack perspective. The expansion and subsequent seasons are what really turned it around, and anybody who did stick it out or (much more likely) came back years later has had a blast.

KrunkMcGrunk posted:

There were a lot of Bear rear end quests, but there were a fair amount of cool story quests that flesh out zones and side characters. I really enjoyed the one in Hawezar that started with the guy with vines growing out of his body. Or the questline about Peta and how witches are chosen/born and their relation to the Tree of Whispers.

Absolutely. The vine guy was interesting but a bit far from any waypoint so it got repetitive, kinda like Timue. The witches and the tree stuff was all neat if a bit cliche. I also really liked that one merchant in the Dry Steppes who collects cursed relics, turns out he's cohabitating with a demon inside his head that just wants to enjoy a vacation in Sanctuary. The Crane Tribe sequence where they're seeking redemption for Nihlathak's betrayal was a cool callback to D2, and seemed open ended for future development; maybe we'll return to Mount Arreat in an expansion?

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
As soon as you hit 70, if you go open a helltide mystery chest you'll fly over any perceived brickwall

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

Gwaihir posted:

Yeah I've built some of those, but at the end of the day you end up stacking numerical buffs to a specific attack in the thousands, so you can't really run another attack as a contender. IE: when I ran something like https://maxroll.gg/d3/guides/lod-twister-wizard-guide, your damage from Twister is going to be several thousands times the damage of another skill. So in my previous example, Twister hits for 1mil/s and the chains from the Demon hit from 10k.

I can run Meteor enchantment with a minimal investment in D4 and have it provide utility (cc, burning enabler and damage) with 1-3 points invested in the build and maybe a single slot. It's not going to be as effective as a build that is laser focused on synergies, but the difference in damage is going to be 10% instead of 500%.

That Italian Guy fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jun 22, 2023

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

That's the entire reason the non-set gem exists in D3. Literally "So long as you don't have on a set, every legendary gives you a blanket % damage buff and reduced damage taken."

dumbest shti ive ever seen in my life

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Swilo posted:

The trend you'll notice is that the people who poo poo on D3 never played it past launch so they completely lack perspective. The expansion and subsequent seasons are what really turned it around, and anybody who did stick it out or (much more likely) came back years later has had a blast.

the last time i played d3 was this year. it was the same trash its been everytime ive picked it up to try a new season.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
D3 players need the extra X0,000% on their gear otherwise they can't tell if it's good or not.

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough

The Ol Spicy Keychain posted:

D3 players need the extra X0,000% on their gear otherwise they can't tell if it's good or not.

green numbers good, damage buckets bad

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

everyone who plays arpgs boots up d3 like one season a year just to see if its as bad as they remember and it always is lol

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Gwaihir posted:

Proper support for non-set builds was added later(i.e. legacy of nightmares, could be done passively from Season 17 onwards, LoD itself being added later) so personally I didn't even know LoD existed. :v: And "get two specific rings and full ancients" is a bit of a taller order than "hit 70 and do 3 simple chores." Getting a legendary gem sounds pretty good. I imagine most people mad about D3 sets haven't played a later season for very long and have memories of 10+ seasons of Use The Sets.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I would have been fine with a D3 expansion that updated the graphics and added a cash shop. The core of the game was solid.

Brain Curry
Feb 15, 2007

People think that I'm lazy
People think that I'm this fool because
I give a fuck about the government
I didn't graduate from high school

bamhand posted:

You'll really need to explain what difficulty this is before deciding if it's good or not. I can one shot elites with flurry in T4 helltides with no imbues. I'm not convinced it's the frost part that makes it good.

Started a flurry rogue alt, any tips on build?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

euphronius posted:

I would have been fine with a D3 expansion that updated the graphics and added a cash shop. The core of the game was solid.

they did that its called diablo immortal lol