Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
https://twitter.com/TitanicSub/status/1671975421003309074

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropist
Dec 1, 2007
I'm very stupid.

FlapYoJacks posted:

- $250,000 a ticket
- A cheap Bluetooth Logitech controller prone to disconnects and failures.
- Tiny bolts holding the hatch in place.
- Using carbon fiber for the hull and not titanium.
- The acrylic porthole was only rated for 1,500 meters.
- Firing (and suing!) the safety engineer for refusing to certify the sub.
- Refusing to x-ray the carbon fiber after pressure testing.
- On one of the excursions, one of the impellors was installed backward. They "fixed" it by using the controller at a 90-degree angel.
- The CEO refused to hire industry experts and wanted "new innovative blood."
- The CEO removed audio contact with the support vessel because it was too noisy.
- The support vessel knew they imploded for three days and not telling anyone.
- PPP loan forgiveness.

- governments and companies spend millions on trying to dredge up a few techbros while at the same time flipping over boats in the Mediterranean and leaving 750 people to drown

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
Seagate's in a great position to bounce back if they can christen a new-and-improved vessel and charge tourists to see the wreckage of the Titan.

They can call it Titan: The Sequel

edit: whoops Seagate makes hard drives, not subs (though I'm sure they'd do a better job)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

MiracleFlare posted:

Again I don't think it's necessary to link to Oil London's Twitter, where he's also advertising his upcoming book about how transitioning is child abuse. Like I get that it's a very concise explanation of how an implosion would kill someone so fast they'd never even notice it, but maybe just copy and paraphrase it like you're copying someone's homework?

edit: I'm a dumbass who couldn't read his name right but I don't have enough respect to fix it

i'm pretty sure most people don't know who the gently caress he is, i certainly don't, and they simply linked to it without knowing that he sucked

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
https://twitter.com/biggestjoel/status/1671952600978128972

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I should also add that this is in line with the support vessel's crew behavior prior. When they lost the sub for five hours during the CBS report they cut internet access to the ship to keep the CBS reporter from tweeting out for help to the outside world.

Covering up catastrophes is part of their standards of operation apparently.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Jun 22, 2023

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Exiro posted:

Then we're back to this being even more stupid and wasteful then it already was. Thanks I must have missed that catching up.

:hmbol:

We're they trying to hide this because of publicity?!

There are no words for this

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

illectro posted:

I can handle about 0.01 seconds of that song before turning it off.

Which, coincidently, is roughly how long the sub would take to implode.

There are at least 3 Dethklok songs that are just as appropriate and also way better.

Also :regd10:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lvs2FzF64o

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Entropist posted:

- governments and companies spend millions on trying to dredge up a few techbros while at the same time flipping over boats in the Mediterranean and leaving 750 people to drown

OK, but have you considered the sub story is hilarious, and the Mediterranean story is sad and infuriating?

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Trixie Hardcore posted:

It sounds like a really rich guy realized there was a limited amount of time before the Titanic wreck had degraded too much for him to bilk billionaires out of their money to see it, and he completely underestimated how expensive and complicated deep sea tourism was so he tried to fake it to make it by building a cheap sub and hoped everything would work out for him.

Everything worked in to him instead.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Why would you use a lovely logitech bluetooth controller instead of just using a regular old USB one with a cable?

I've had that logitech controller and it sucked, it frequently disconnected and I got so frustrated with it that I threw it in the trash.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

after that one submarine dude murdered a journalist on his sub i was already done with rich person subs

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

One day we will all be sucked down into the ocean.

One day we will all, go into the water.

Live

There

Die

There

Live

There

Die

There

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"

Kamrat posted:

Why would you use a lovely logitech bluetooth controller instead of just using a regular old USB one with a cable?

I've had that logitech controller and it sucked, it frequently disconnected and I got so frustrated with it that I threw it in the trash.

You should contact CNN and tell them your story on air.

"Goon Who Used the Doom Controller Speaks" would be the chyron.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel

Kamrat posted:

in one of the videos the CEO explains excitedly that it's so you can toss it around in the cabin and let any of the passengers drive it. In the same video he alleges that there were in fact spares on board, so there's that.

But in the best of times when everything was working swimmingly, are we to understand that random rich people get to pilot the death tube around the historic wreckage? What keeps them from bumping into the Titanic and damaging the ship? It is a delicate and rapidly deteriorating artifact.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Kamrat posted:

not having a hard wired connection for the controls for this thing... is absolutely mind boggling. so much about this whole deal is just...

unfathomable

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

The Bananana posted:

I...

I.. don't know how to read this. :eng99:

Line go wibbly-wobbly, human go squishy-squashy. Also; Hot. A lot of hot.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

Kamrat posted:

I've been saying the same thing!! Everyone keeps being all, "guys the controller isn't the issue, lots of things use controllers" but my problem is with that specific controller, which sucked so bad for playing video games that I bought a new one within months. Maybe I'm missing something and they're using a bluetooth version that sucks less, but mine used a USB dongle and lost connection every time I accidentally sat in a way that put my leg between the controller and the computer.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Kamrat posted:

At least in this case that controller was crushed and vaporized at several thousand degrees, so no e-waste there!

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

frumpykvetchbot posted:

But in the best of times when everything was working swimmingly, are we to understand that random rich people get to pilot the death tube around the historic wreckage? What keeps them from bumping into the Titanic and damaging the ship? It is a delicate and rapidly deteriorating artifact.

nothing. they have some sort of honor code among them as 'sailors' not to disturb the wreckage as it is a gravesite. really the code is to disturb it as little as possible. people have bumped into the ship. Some people brought back artifacts.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Everett False posted:

but my problem is with that specific controller

jesus you should have told them that when they took it for their death machine

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

This story is loving batshit

It somehow gets worse every minute

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Bananana posted:

I...

It takes about 1ms to go from tube to squish with mega-heat in between.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

frumpykvetchbot posted:

are we to understand that random rich people get to pilot the death tube around the historic wreckage? What keeps them from bumping into the Titanic and damaging the ship? It is a delicate and rapidly deteriorating artifact.

Oh dude I don't know if you heard but it's totally deteriorated now. It imploded.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Everett False posted:

I've been saying the same thing!! Everyone keeps being all, "guys the controller isn't the issue, lots of things use controllers" but my problem is with that specific controller, which sucked so bad for playing video games that I bought a new one within months. Maybe I'm missing something and they're using a bluetooth version that sucks less, but mine used a USB dongle and lost connection every time I accidentally sat in a way that put my leg between the controller and the computer.

So what you're saying is that Madcatz sabotaged the tubmersible to win back market shares from Logitech?

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

smoobles posted:

I can't prove it but in my opinion the passengers are still alive

They are on Epsteins Island, arrived thru undersea tunnel that has a hatch like in Lost hidden under the titanic which is actually the Oceania

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255
Wait, so they heard the implosion and still waited 8 hours to call it in.

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

i'm pretty sure most people don't know who the gently caress he is, i certainly don't, and they simply linked to it without knowing that he sucked

I figured as much because I have also never heard of him before in my life and my initial reaction was also "yeah this is good info". But also desktop Twitter shows the guy's bio right there on the side if you click through to read the tweet, and the phrase "gender madness" doesn't inspire much confidence even before checking his timeline

Anyway enough about shitheads

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

So what you're saying is that Madcatz sabotaged the tubmersible to win back market shares from Logitech?

my Madcatz GCN memory card from the mid 00s still works fine, meanwhile I have a Logitech controller from the past few years that has a shoulder button that sometimes repeats inputs and another button that can't bounce back at all. I trust in Madcatz

MiracleFlare fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Jun 22, 2023

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

The Bananana posted:

I...

Blitter posted:

Typical dynamic pressure history for an underwater implosion event.

"crump"

As soon as the structure starts to fail, it happens so quickly that peak pressure is hit 0.7 ms later.

The pressure spike is over just 0.2 ms later

The whole implosion takes 0.9 ms.

The interior volume is about 1200 cubic feet, which is equalized to that enormous pressure in under a thousandth of a second.

It's really hard to conceive!

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Spinz posted:

They are on Epsteins Island, arrived thru undersea tunnel that has a hatch like in Lost hidden under the titanic which is actually the Oceania

bill clinton and $hillary confimred

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the implosion they heard could've been a diversion, while they pillaged and plundered the wreck and got away scott-free. the investigation was necessary.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Everett False posted:

It's not even a funny bad pick, just bad bad. Like if I was making the cheapskate billionaire death tube then the first thing they'd see when they climbed on board is one of these bad boys:

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

mds2 posted:

they knew they were out of their element and needed professionals to confirm it for them

Lamech
Nov 20, 2001

Soiled Meat
i said this in another thread, but $250k sounds totally reasonable to be buried or have your final resting spot be near the titanic, if you loving love the titanic and stuff

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

EVERY TIME GOING posted:

It almost makes more sense than someone using a controller I found unsuitable for Stardew Valley and going "yeah this seems fine, I'll trust my life to this"

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

frumpykvetchbot posted:

in one of the videos the CEO explains excitedly that it's so you can toss it around in the cabin and let any of the passengers drive it. In the same video he alleges that there were in fact spares on board, so there's that.

Couldn't you do the same thing with a wired controller in that small of a space

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

mds2 posted:

the countdown timer was getting good ratings.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

everyone who made fun of the controller needs to sheepishly admit they were wrong now

it had nothing to do with the disaster

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Wait....did they actually wait until the submersible had been missing 8 hours to call for assistance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KIEFGIVER
Jun 16, 2023

by vyelkin
Thank you dead billionaires, you distracted me from work for a week and made it fly by.