Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

hooah posted:

Wild. Well, at least I know what's going on now. No way to change that behavior?

Probably not, I can't imagine there being a setting that completely disables the desktop. But out of curiosity why would you want to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Zenostein posted:

Probably not, I can't imagine there being a setting that completely disables the desktop. But out of curiosity why would you want to?

I don't want to get rid of the desktop (although I don't ever use it), but rather the null/fake window it causes for Finder. I'll often switch to Finder and the desktop "window" will be active, which is confusing when I don't immediately realize what's happened.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

dexter6 posted:

To do this, the tech needs to be physically in front of the computer to scan a code after they have wiped the computer clean. So it's not trivial to add something to ABM after it's been purchased and set up by an end user.
Our main reseller can retroactively add stuff to Apple School Manager without touching the device as long as it was invoiced through their system.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno about MacBooks but I’m assuming it’s the same thing as phones where you just ask your reseller to add it to ABM. They’ve even done it after purchase too I’ve found.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Ah, cool. I wasn't aware the reseller could retroactively add it.

I've only dealt with it on the IT side and the only way I was able to do it was the way I mentioned above. Good to know!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All resellers that aren't just box shifting will have the ability to add devices to DEP, the box shifters will also have that ability but just won't have bothered employing anybody who knows how.

Adding the device afterwards can be done with an iOS device and the camera looks at a QR-style code on the machine. An enterprise that wants their laptops gone should send the remote wipe command from their MDM and then retire the hardware from DEP which permanently removes it from their control.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

:siren: macOS 13.4.1, 12.6.7, and 11.7.8 have been released

And if anyone cares, Sonoma Beta 2 has also been pinched out

Security updates etc.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

General MacOS window behavior question:

My understanding so far is that any app made "fullscreen" by way of the green button on the menu bar will have it's own "space" or screen where it exists on its own. The exception to this being split screen apps, also done via the aforementioned green button. However I've just gotten some interesting behavior where Steam has shown up as a floating window within my browser's dedicated "screen". This is a bit surprising as I didn't think that was doable.

Is my understanding incorrect or is Steam being weird? Given how the client has behaved on the platform in the past the latter wouldn't surprise me.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

system settings window is still a war crime

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Warbird posted:

General MacOS window behavior question:

My understanding so far is that any app made "fullscreen" by way of the green button on the menu bar will have it's own "space" or screen where it exists on its own. The exception to this being split screen apps, also done via the aforementioned green button. However I've just gotten some interesting behavior where Steam has shown up as a floating window within my browser's dedicated "screen". This is a bit surprising as I didn't think that was doable.

Is my understanding incorrect or is Steam being weird? Given how the client has behaved on the platform in the past the latter wouldn't surprise me.
Yeah this shouldn’t happen but it sometimes does, I’ve had a few different apps do that. Conversely, I usually have Teams in full screen on my second monitor and sometimes it just totally vanishes from Mission Control until I re-activate it from the dock

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

system settings window is still a war crime

Facts.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I'm a recent transplant from Windows and need some software recommendations. I'm also one of the weird people who has a Mac but uses an Android phone. I read the OP but it's 12 years old and some of the projects are even discontinued.

I used foobar2000 for audio file conversion/tagging/bulk renaming, CDex for ripping (with metadata/album art retrieval and parametric file names), and MusicBee for syncing/transcoding onto my phone. I typically rip to FLAC for backup purposes but usually transcode to a lossy format when copying over to my phone. Just the basic idea of "rip to FLAC and then sync to Android in a lossy format without wanting to tear my hair out" is what I'm going for.

Foobar2000 is available for Mac but doesn't seem to have nearly as many features (including the ones above). The others are Windows-only.

I did look into DoubleTwist but apparently iTunes has been superseded by Apple Music? I can't confirm that AirSync still works and I'm not paying $8 just to find out. 95% of the guides I google up rely on iTunes and seem like they could be pretty useless now.

What should I be looking at? Paid solutions are OK if they are cheap (<$15ish) and actually do the job.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Discussion Quorum posted:

I'm a recent transplant from Windows and need some software recommendations. I'm also one of the weird people who has a Mac but uses an Android phone. I read the OP but it's 12 years old and some of the projects are even discontinued.

I used foobar2000 for audio file conversion/tagging/bulk renaming, CDex for ripping (with metadata/album art retrieval and parametric file names), and MusicBee for syncing/transcoding onto my phone. I typically rip to FLAC for backup purposes but usually transcode to a lossy format when copying over to my phone. Just the basic idea of "rip to FLAC and then sync to Android in a lossy format without wanting to tear my hair out" is what I'm going for.

Foobar2000 is available for Mac but doesn't seem to have nearly as many features (including the ones above). The others are Windows-only.

I did look into DoubleTwist but apparently iTunes has been superseded by Apple Music? I can't confirm that AirSync still works and I'm not paying $8 just to find out. 95% of the guides I google up rely on iTunes and seem like they could be pretty useless now.

What should I be looking at? Paid solutions are OK if they are cheap (<$15ish) and actually do the job.

I don’t have an audio player rec but here are the others:

Ripping: handbrake
Transcoding for mobile: Plex is probably what I’d use if I hated Music or Spotify

For automating the workflow, I would suggest setting up Lidarr to watch the output folder of your ripping software, then it can pull the files, identify them, rename them according to your rules, and put them in Plex’s music directory. Plex scans that directory, downloads some metadata for the folder, and publishes the contents so they’re accessible from any device with Plex installed, or a local DLNA player. Then you just hit download on Plex in your phone. Plex will transcode them and copy them over in the background.

tuyop fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 23, 2023

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
Specifically, you want the Plexamp app. It's really good!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I'll just insert my standard complaint/caveat that Plex is catastrophically stupid as far as properly identifying media and is really troublesome to override with proper data if you already have it. It works well enough within its very narrow and strictly controlled ecosystem where you stringently adhere to how the developer wants you to organise your music — any deviation will be punished with anything from double- or triple-work up to and including data loss.

As always, your mileage will vary, but to put it into perspective: my mileage is that the experience of trying to switch to Plex was what made me decide to go back to (at the time) iTunes as the far more stable and reliable backbone for my media. This is a sentence that shouldn't even be possible to write.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Is there any sane way to get the umpteen thousand “favorite” photos off my wife’s phone and into a NAS? As best I can tell your options are more or less “plug into computer, lol iTunes” and/or “plug into Mac, lol now it’s in a database because deranged perverts made the photo app ecosystem”.

I’m just mass throwing them into a dedicated album on the NAS via Synology’s Photo app but that’s a “dumb” option. I’d be curious to hear if there are better options.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Warbird posted:

Is there any sane way to get the umpteen thousand “favorite” photos off my wife’s phone and into a NAS? As best I can tell your options are more or less “plug into computer, lol iTunes” and/or “plug into Mac, lol now it’s in a database because deranged perverts made the photo app ecosystem”.

I’m just mass throwing them into a dedicated album on the NAS via Synology’s Photo app but that’s a “dumb” option. I’d be curious to hear if there are better options.

I’ve been using PhotoSync for a long while now to backup my iPhone photos to my Synology… I have it set to upload at 2am each night when the phone is plugged in. It can work with smb/dropbox/backblaze/etc. if you want to keep multiple copies.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Warbird posted:

Why is this a dumb solution? That would be my suggestion. It's what I do along with Google Photos (but I'm on Android).

gariig fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jun 23, 2023

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Warbird posted:

It's in very close territory, so whether it's smarter or not is up for debate, but an immediate alternative would be to mass export via the Synology Drive app. It requires a bit of setup, but also gives you a handy semi-universal export option for all kinds of phone content.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

We use the OneDrive app to sync to onedrive and the NAS updates from OneDrive.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I should clarify a bit, sorry. The “dumb” solution works for the most part but does require the wife to actually do the upload and delete the photos from her phone. It also produces duplicates on the NAS as the photos as a whole are backed up, though the favorites are not singled out.

Ideally a solution like the existing photo back up being done in the Synology Photos app would be great (automated, skips duplicates, ect) but this may be good enough. I’ll have to take a look at the options that the Synology Drive app offers and the 3rd party tool as well.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

tuyop posted:

I don’t have an audio player rec but here are the others:

Ripping: handbrake
Transcoding for mobile: Plex is probably what I’d use if I hated Music or Spotify

For automating the workflow, I would suggest setting up Lidarr to watch the output folder of your ripping software, then it can pull the files, identify them, rename them according to your rules, and put them in Plex’s music directory. Plex scans that directory, downloads some metadata for the folder, and publishes the contents so they’re accessible from any device with Plex installed, or a local DLNA player. Then you just hit download on Plex in your phone. Plex will transcode them and copy them over in the background.

Plex - not what I had in mind exactly unless Plex has changed how it works? I'm talking about FLAC on PC -> AAC/MP3/whatever locally on the phone so I can then listen to it with Poweramp or whatever. I'm not some lossless purist, I just prefer to rip that way for backup and future flexibility but don't see the need to take up all that space on my phone.

Although the Lidarr thing is neat and I'm pretty sure I could get that to solve the above problem for me (minus syncing playlists). I was dreading having to roll some dumb shell/Python/rsync solution and hating myself for doing it but that's basically what this is, I think. Thanks!

e: Also, I had no idea Handbrake could rip audio CDs. I actually have it already but assumed it was only for DVDs.

Discussion Quorum fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jun 23, 2023

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is there a way to speed up how fast the emoji insertion animation takes (when using the built in OS emoji widget/keyboard thing)? It's so painfully slow.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Splinter posted:

Is there a way to speed up how fast the emoji insertion animation takes (when using the built in OS emoji widget/keyboard thing)? It's so painfully slow.

It should be pretty much instant.

If it isn't, that sounds more like you're struck with one of those lovely heisenbugs where some background app or text processing code is trying to interpret your inputs. I've had something similar happen with other text input because of an image view in the background capturing every keystroke to figure out whether it was something it should react to; or when an auto-expander decided that some inputs had to be very thoroughly investigated to check if something needed to be expanded.

Does this always happen, even form a clean boot with absolutely nothing loaded?

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

It should be pretty much instant.

If it isn't, that sounds more like you're struck with one of those lovely heisenbugs where some background app or text processing code is trying to interpret your inputs. I've had something similar happen with other text input because of an image view in the background capturing every keystroke to figure out whether it was something it should react to; or when an auto-expander decided that some inputs had to be very thoroughly investigated to check if something needed to be expanded.

Does this always happen, even form a clean boot with absolutely nothing loaded?

not the op but this poo poo happens to me too, 100% of the time. double-tapping the "Fn" key on my laptop results in the emoji window taking at LEAST 3 seconds to appear, even if every single app on my machine is closed.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
For me it's not the opening of the keyboard, it's after selecting the emoji it does the genie animation back to my cursor and then only once the genie animation completes does the emoji pop up. It happens on both my personal M1 Mac Studio and work issued M2 MBP 16.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

XLD is what I, and a music ripping site, use for ripping CDs. It can rip to multiple formats at the same time. I have mine setup to rip to Apple Lossless, mp3 v0 (and 320kbps), and FLAC. You can turn the formats off and on easily too. It’ll write log files and all that cruft too. I stick the FLAC backups on my NAS and use the AL files in iTunes.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

nexxai posted:

not the op but this poo poo happens to me too, 100% of the time. double-tapping the "Fn" key on my laptop results in the emoji window taking at LEAST 3 seconds to appear, even if every single app on my machine is closed.

Splinter posted:

For me it's not the opening of the keyboard, it's after selecting the emoji it does the genie animation back to my cursor and then only once the genie animation completes does the emoji pop up. It happens on both my personal M1 Mac Studio and work issued M2 MBP 16.

Oh, ok. If it's on the other end then yeah, I'm seeing it too, but not nearly as slowly as you're describing. So while it may still be some kind of processing issue in the background as well, the animation is definitely part of the problem.

The “easy” way around that — which ultimately doesn't save much time, unfortunately — is to make sure you don't have an active input cursor and only then press Fn to make the window pop up. This way, you have it open until you manually close it, and it doesn't do the auto-close, with its associated animation, every time you pick a symbol. Instead, it just immediately gets inserted wherever the cursor is active.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

e: wrong thread :(

Doc Fission fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jun 24, 2023

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

You seem like the kind of user who would enjoy running a Raspberry Pi (or any old desktop, really) server running Navidrome and Lidarr. I know that sounds like a pain or headache, but once it's set up, you can manage it remotely from any device and its mostly automated. Managing audio files like that sounds like a major pain.

Warbird posted:

Ideally a solution like the existing photo back up being done in the Synology Photos app would be great (automated, skips duplicates, ect) but this may be good enough. I’ll have to take a look at the options that the Synology Drive app offers and the 3rd party tool as well.

Why not pay the 99 cents a month for 50GB of iCloud space, set her photos to automatically sync and delete off her iPhone, and be done with it?

If your house burned down, the NAS photos are gone. I back up to my NAS using immich and still keep uncompressed versions synced to iCloud because I'd still hate to lose all my photos if my NAS was destroyed in a house fire.

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 26, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Corb3t posted:

You seem like the kind of user who would enjoy running a Raspberry Pi (or any old desktop, really) server

oh god nooooooo don't tempt me down that road again, I am trying to do less computer touching, not more (also, can you actually buy RPis again without camping outside a Microcenter?)

I know what I described sounds like a pain, but on Windows, it just worked (lol). Rip to FLAC. Plug in phone. Open library in MusicBee. Copy songs/albums/playlists to phone and wait a few minutes. Transcoding happens on the fly in the background. Done.

I kind of assumed that iTunes would do this for iPhones, so I didn't think it was that weird. Most of my stuff can be downloaded from Tidal, so I'm not that desperate, but I am an elder millennial who likes to have the thing from a CD.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

oh god nooooooo don't tempt me down that road again, I am trying to do less computer touching, not more (also, can you actually buy RPis again without camping outside a Microcenter?)

I know what I described sounds like a pain, but on Windows, it just worked (lol). Rip to FLAC. Plug in phone. Open library in MusicBee. Copy songs/albums/playlists to phone and wait a few minutes. Transcoding happens on the fly in the background. Done.

I kind of assumed that iTunes would do this for iPhones, so I didn't think it was that weird. Most of my stuff can be downloaded from Tidal, so I'm not that desperate, but I am an elder millennial who likes to have the thing from a CD.

You could also pay $25 a year to upload your collection to iTunes Match and stream it from anywhere - it's not free, but it is convenient. Unfortunately, your use-case is pretty niche in the year 2023. I'm sure there are some third party apps that might do what you're looking to do, though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

I used to have quite an extensive cd collection but I got rid of it years ago, and now I just use Apple Music. Subscription services are the future, it’s convenient and I have so much more music than I ever could have had before, because I can just add a band’s entire catalogue - that would have cost a fortune buying each cd.

Apple Music does lossless, you’ll get sound quality every bit as good as a cd, and you can download the music to your device so you don’t need to worry about reception or data usage.

Edit: same goes for streaming services, they completely replaced my vast dvd library years ago and now I don’t even have a dvd player let alone a dvd.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

The Lord Bude posted:

I used to have quite an extensive cd collection but I got rid of it years ago, and now I just use Apple Music. Subscription services are the future, it’s convenient and I have so much more music than I ever could have had before, because I can just add a band’s entire catalogue - that would have cost a fortune buying each cd.

You’ll never convince me that bottom of this will not drop out as the quest for growth continues but that probably won’t be for a while.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Streaming music is great because basically every service has essentially the same catalogue (if you pay). Subscribe to one service and you're golden. I still buy digital copies via Bandcamp to support artists I really love though.

Streaming tv or movies otoh is a huge pain in the rear end because the content is spread out so much. I've actually started just subscribing for 1 month at a time to catch a show or a few movies when I hear about something I want to watch or just renting the movie via Apple tv.

I also got rid of my cd and dvd collections years ago but I kept digital copies of everything I ripped on my plex because I paid for that poo poo, I don't care if it's technically piracy (at least with films; with CDs it's legal to keep rips in Canada).

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Yes I know, I use Tidal and have just been downloading via that. Not because it's lossless (I only care about that for backup purposes) but because I like the app better than Spotify.

I am an old person with an old person use case and don't quite care enough to go setting up an entire infrastructure around it lol

Grassy Knowles posted:

You’ll never convince me that bottom of this will not drop out as the quest for growth continues but that probably won’t be for a while.

Honestly part of the reason I still buy albums on the cheap is because I assume one day this system will fragment just like streaming video has and it'll be "oh gently caress I need to subscribe to three different services and I still will only be able to hear 80% of what I want"

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

College Slice
Another reason I buy music is one day I assume i'll become like every other old dude and stop craving new music experiences and just listen to the same 8 albums for the rest of my life.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Edit: Arc Browser Invites gone

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jun 28, 2023

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What is this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Quackles posted:

What is this?

macOS-only (coming to Windows later this year) Chromium-based browser that is attempting to shake up expectations around what a browser does. It has some Pretty cool features outlined here.

One of my favorite features, Boosts, let you Un-Enshittify many websites with ease, making them halfway useful again:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z9bq_Q9qqk

I personally love Arc's powerful Command Bar.

You can even directly search sites from it:
https://twitter.com/browsercompany/status/1646580021858037760?s=20

Corb3t fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jun 28, 2023