Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OsteoMcB
Mar 19, 2023

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

For gently caress sake, here we go

Oh yeah, keep the nutcases coming. I'll grab the lube.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Russians kidnapped them

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Chewbecca posted:

Like a submarine black box?

I mean, it sucks if there is no way of ever knowing for sure what happened. That's how the dumb conspiracies start

there might be a way from the wreckage, but yeah I mean navy subs obviously record everything. for the DIY personality you can save stuff like that by putting it outside the pressure hull and keeping it at equilibrium. but then there's simple stuff like a ships log pen and paper. of course in a deep sea submersible you would probably want something a little more robust.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Carlos Lantana posted:

There once was a sub off Nantucket.
told it was unsafe, they said "gently caress it"
they built it from carbon
and a porthole quite bargain
then into the deeps they did plummet

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

ethanol posted:

there might be a way from the wreckage, but yeah I mean navy subs obviously record everything. for the DIY personality you can save stuff like that by putting it outside the pressure hull and keeping it at equilibrium. but then there's simple stuff like a ships log pen and paper. of course in a deep sea submersible you would probably want something a little more robust.

They'll find just the tops of the 17 tiny bolts holding the cone on and know instantly

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Archonex posted:

that tweet by the Oceangate exec in a new light. "I'm going to take a nap and I expect results from the government to bail us out of this or names will be named."

I had forgotten about this already lol

this story has a been a loving firehose of content.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

nanny state regulations crush yet another bold entrepreneur.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

If the Sub had woke regulations it wouldn't have exist-imploded

Checkmate chuds

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

bidens laptop was on that sub

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/joshuagates/status/1671561050280566787

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Earwicker posted:

just because the thing imploded two hours into the trip doesnt mean - if that hadnt happened - that the video game controller couldnt have caused some other, even stupider accident further down the line. they just didnt get a chance for that particular set of fuckups to occur.

exactly, the other dumb systems -- the backwards installed propeller, the logitech controller, bedpan, the janky texting comm system, the hamster wheel ballast release, inescapable hatch, etc -- only had to be reliable enough to outlast the least reliable component, the hull. they are examples of perfect modern engineering.

frumpykvetchbot
Feb 20, 2004

PROGRESSIVE SCAN
Upset Trowel
it's been a privilege shitposting with you tonight

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008

Tarkus posted:

Why would he want to expose himself?

He did expose himself

To the ocean

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Post that poo poo

Lmao did that executive at Oceangate basically yell at the governments to DO SOMETHING?! Knowing full well his boss was crab food?

Holy poo poo

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

is he gonna tell us more or do we have to wait for his book?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Scholtz posted:

Surely we can find a better tweet to reference ITT

my bad, deleted

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

SulfurMonoxideCute posted:

For gently caress sake, here we go

Get a new conspiracy that’s actually fun losers.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Carlos Lantana posted:

There once was a sub off Nantucket.

In which you could poop in a bucket

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Being simultaneously crushed to death and vaporized in an imperceptible fraction of a second is truly something only obscene amounts of money can buy

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
So if a CBS journalist was ostensibly "trapped" on this thing with no internet during an earlier voyage, how big a story was this? As an Australian I had zero knowledge of any of this prior to this story <ahem> going down

Was there no call for increased safety measures then?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
My conspiracy is the Logitech controller failed and they trashed the sub to hide the evidence

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

I just really really love how these idiot cost-cutting libertarians railing against safety regulations were actually corrected by the invisible hand of the free market.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

TulliusCicero posted:

Post that poo poo

Lmao did that executive at Oceangate basically yell at the governments to DO SOMETHING?! Knowing full well his boss was crab food?

Holy poo poo
Well first he said he was going to take a nap and that the government better have fixed stuff when he woke up

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

Probably wanted more time to sell their stock.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

only the Oceangate Titan reduces an entire billionaire to a soup-like homogenate in 30 milliseconds.

lmao

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Chewbecca posted:

So if a CBS journalist was ostensibly "trapped" on this thing with no internet during an earlier voyage, how big a story was this? As an Australian I had zero knowledge of any if this prior to this story <ahem> going down

Was there no call for increased safety measures then?

i mean, it was reported. its on the ding dongs who died for not googling it. nobody cared about a tin can that could hilariously kill billionaires until it did so

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/OceanGateExped/status/1671976846827876352

https://twitter.com/imfootballmad/status/1672003829091508225

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Space Kablooey posted:

my bad, deleted

np, I'm the brain poisoned one for even knowing who they are, just wanted to nip it in the bud

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The Bananana posted:

I...

I.. don't know how to read this. :eng99:

We've already seen a quick 15 psi (at sea level there's about 1 atmosphere of air on you at all times)->135 psi turn a pig carcass in a diving suit into a mushy paste over the course of a few seconds, on Mythbusters, to the point it even smushed the iron diving helmet slightly.

they lost contact around 1h45m into the supposed 2-2.5 hour dive, or 83.33ft per minute at 2.5 hour travel. most places have said it was a 2 hour dive, though which would make it 104.167ft per minute

distance = time * speed, so we know they were probably around 8750 to 10937.493ft when they exploded, that translates to about 264.21 atmospheres, or about 3,882.89 psi, assuming they were taking 2.5 hours to travel down there. It's much worse if it was 104.167ft/m because then it would have been 330.27 atmospheres, or 4853.61 psi.

using that chart, we can also infer that these implosions happen quickly. Mythbusters did the diver compression test for roughly 30 seconds at 135 psi and if you weren't dead you'd have passed out after about 5-10 seconds at best while your flesh blood and bone just turn into a liquid.

This was somewhere around 36 times stronger.

edit: By comparison, James Cameron did the Challenger Deep dive in about 90 minutes, which means he was fuckin cruising around 400 ft/m

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 22, 2023

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

If I died because my dad guilted me into joining his stupid submarine club and then the company called me a “brave explorer” I’d be seething.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Earwicker posted:

just because the thing imploded two hours into the trip doesnt mean - if that hadnt happened - that the video game controller couldnt have caused some other, even stupider accident further down the line. they just didnt get a chance for that particular set of fuckups to occur.

i had to listen to james cameron talk about himself and how great he was for 2 minutes before he got to the point but in that interview about this he does say something along the lines of "yeah the hull is by far the most important part and we spent 3 years just modeling ours in a computer before we even started trying to build it" which makes perfect sense because any other malfunction is at least theoretically possible to recover from. if the hull fails you die before you even know it happened

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

B-Rock452 posted:

Well first he said he was going to take a nap and that the government better have fixed stuff when he woke up

:lol:

"Hey can you make this all go away? We don't want this to hurt our prophet margins"

Can we send him down to check for any survivors?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

there has been a submersible-involved sad losing

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

TulliusCicero posted:

Post that poo poo

Holy poo poo

Yes. He even insinuated threats against the people trying to rescue them if they didn't find them in what comes off like a half hearted hope that he could pawn responsibility off onto them if they didn't find them in time.

Such classy people.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

Been watching Josh for years. Didn't see this episode but itd actually hilarious that "Indiana Jones" Gates was like "this poo poo is beyond unsafe"

Fucker goes on multi day excursions thru deserts and jungles.

Lmao lol

Rip sub people

Lmao lol

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Josh Gates loving rules and is known for his love of sketchball vehicles, so this thing must have been a extra-huge piece of poo poo for him to want nothing to do with it