Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I ran into trouble with Wine in my US game; no matter how many farms I built to make wine, demand was always double the supply. No one else in the world seemed to be making wine in appreciable quantities either. Because I had so many farms (that you can't convert to 100% winemaking, or plant fruit specifically for reasons I don't understand besides balance of some kind) I was making something like 30,000 more grain than I could consume.

Standard of Living was around 22 even for the lower pop so it's a real first world problem but was there anything I could do about wine and grain in that situation?

When you get to that level of SOL across your entire population, it's normal to start running into issues of "the world doesn't produce enough luxury goods to satisfy the demands of my pops."

That being said, and I don't imagine this completely solving your problem when the issue is more with the nature of SOL and luxury goods, did you look into goods substitution? Wine, in the "luxury drinks" need category, can be substituted with coffee or tea. Because coffee and tea are "primary" products of their respective plantations, they scale better with new levels of buildings and methods of production too. If you have states that are capable of producing coffee or tea, or untapped trade partners who can provide some, you might find that providing your people more coffee or tea could alleviate the demand for wine by providing alternative goods that satisfy the same needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Gort posted:

It's apparently being looked at, here's Wiz on the official forums about it:

Huh, yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Give us vineyards and fruit orchards, breweries and distilleries. Let me make rum from sugar, or vodka/bourbon from grain.

Pakled posted:

When you get to that level of SOL across your entire population, it's normal to start running into issues of "the world doesn't produce enough luxury goods to satisfy the demands of my pops."

That being said, and I don't imagine this completely solving your problem when the issue is more with the nature of SOL and luxury goods, did you look into goods substitution? Wine, in the "luxury drinks" need category, can be substituted with coffee or tea. Because coffee and tea are "primary" products of their respective plantations, they scale better with new levels of buildings and methods of production too. If you have states that are capable of producing coffee or tea, or untapped trade partners who can provide some, you might find that providing your people more coffee or tea could alleviate the demand for wine by providing alternative goods that satisfy the same needs.

I did forget about substitutions! Good to know that wine can be replaced with those goods; I was basically ignoring them because demand was so low.

Edit: When should I be enabling the PMs that reduce the amount of labor? And is there an easy way in game to tell what goods can be substituted?

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Jun 22, 2023

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
The one that bugs me is the wood/hardwood split where I have to keep an eye on hardwood production and switch like, three logging camps over at a time as needed

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

According to the wiki, the demand for luxury drinks scales exponentially with wealth. A pop of size 10,000 will need 16 luxury drinks at wealth 16 and up to 3,387 at wealth 60. So yeah, it's definitely possible to reach a point where trying to satisfy your pops' needs just makes it even harder to do so.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Fister Roboto posted:

up to 3,387 at wealth 60

They're up against the limit of what they can physically fit inside them, do they loving bathe in it or something? Fill the swimming pool with a new vintage every month?

CrypticTriptych
Oct 16, 2013

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

They're up against the limit of what they can physically fit inside them, do they loving bathe in it or something? Fill the swimming pool with a new vintage every month?

I think this is supposed to be handled by the "quality is quantity" abstraction and they're not consuming 200 times more wine, but 200 times worth of wine.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

CrypticTriptych posted:

I think this is supposed to be handled by the "quality is quantity" abstraction and they're not consuming 200 times more wine, but 200 times worth of wine.

Quite possibly, but the mental image that came from this is "They say liquids can't be compressed but we'll loving show them!"

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I did forget about substitutions! Good to know that wine can be replaced with those goods; I was basically ignoring them because demand was so low.

You have to make sure to do this at least somewhat early though. If you produce too much wine and make it the only luxury drink available, then it's possible to create an obsession in your country, which causes the demand to go through the roof. You can check obsessions in the culture screen. It kinda sounds like that may have been what happened to you. It's happened to me before with coffee, and it can be a real pain to deal with.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jun 22, 2023

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Quite possibly, but the mental image that came from this is "They say liquids can't be compressed but we'll loving show them!"

2 billionaires attempting a grotesque display of wealth have just discovered how compressible liquids can be!

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

ro5s posted:

2 billionaires attempting a grotesque display of wealth have just discovered how compressible liquids can be!

:golfclap:

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
Has anyone played with the recent beta patch enough to say how much it improves performance if any?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

Has anyone played with the recent beta patch enough to say how much it improves performance if any?

Guys in the thread here: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/victoria-3-performance-benchmark.1587827/page-5

Seems to be "a little bit"

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

I'm not sure the methodology they're using in that thread will be particularly helpful for the new pop merging setting (which presumably will have a cumulative impact over the whole game via increased assimilation) but that is kind of disappointing.

I'll probably still try the patch out since the art / services changes could seriously shake up the game for the better

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Apparently if you use a mod to merge every pop into one single global megaculture, the game only gets marginally faster, so I don't have huge hopes for the pop merging setting

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Asking again because it probably got lost in my edit; when should I be activating production methods that reduce labor?

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Asking again because it probably got lost in my edit; when should I be activating production methods that reduce labor?

I would say do it when you start to approach full employment. If your number of unemployed is close to zero, you’re gonna have a hard time building/expanding anything.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

You should start using them just as or slightly before before they become profitable, or if you are at full employment.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Admiral Joeslop posted:

It really depends. All the above responses are correct, but I've played games in countries like Japan and India where automation would have been profitable, but I desperately wanted more people contently employed and just could not build enough places for them to work.

I feel like you want to understand what it affects and act accordingly. Use them if you need more labor, or if it's just profitable and you think unemployment isn't going to exacerbate social issues.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 23, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

edit: quote is not edit.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Does it not also swap your labour sometimes? Like labourers for clerks, does that help with standard of living?

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, I only switch to labour-saving production methods if I need the workers for something else. I'd sooner have 1000 farmers than 100 bureaucrats and 900 unemployed or subsistence farmers.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Raenir Salazar posted:

Does it not also swap your labour sometimes? Like labourers for clerks, does that help with standard of living?

changing labor type can have small effects on standard of living (good and bad, since it's a redistribution of income within the pool of labor that was working there) but is more relevant to the structure of your interest groups. absent any economic considerations you want to employ as many pops as possible in jobs that will predispose them to liking interest groups you want to promote

Mahasamatman
Nov 8, 2006

Flame on the trail headed for the powder keg
How quickly do pops gain qualifications? My latest Sikh run has stalled out because I have 50k unemployed in Kashmir and they won’t go work in the coal mines. I built 5 universities but my economy has been in free fall a few months.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Mahasamatman posted:

How quickly do pops gain qualifications? My latest Sikh run has stalled out because I have 50k unemployed in Kashmir and they won’t go work in the coal mines. I built 5 universities but my economy has been in free fall a few months.

I don’t know any hard and fast rules but the social mobility decree gives qualifications, it boost literacy too.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Has China accidentally gotten broken after the last patch? I don't seem to get any of the Opium events after the first one?

Alongside that how do armies work and how do I kill all the landlords?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Has China accidentally gotten broken after the last patch? I don't seem to get any of the Opium events after the first one?

Alongside that how do armies work and how do I kill all the landlords?

Armies are employed by barracks, province by province. If they have no general they will be in the pool for defenses taking place in that region, if they have a general they can be assigned to a (frustratingly quirkily AI-defined, sometimes a front is "Perm to the Pacific plus ropes in a naval landing in Kamchatka" and sometimes a random one-province pocket will be tapped for greatness) front to either attack or defend. Every n days on every front on either side, if there is at least one attacking general and no ongoing battle, the game selects a province and smashes doomstacks of x available attackers and y available defenders--scaling off terrain, infrastructure, a defender bias, and a lot of RNG--together. If the attacking side is the one with morale left at the end it takes a random selection of provinces near the randomly-chosen site, the number of which influenced by commander stats/production methods/battle condition (basically which HoI4 tactic was active at the end of the battle).

So basically, you recruit generals to lead armies "based in" the population core and then use them to move troops onto either enemy land or less-populated areas you're defending. Armies take more goods to maintain when called up under a general, and up until next patch are perma-called until peace, but also the AI is supposed to note whether and how many are mobilized while you're negotiating. The number of them you need goes up as the game goes on even if the border stays the same, as they can only manage up to a certain amount of divs and the combat width can go well over that. It's not a trap to have more divs than you can form into armies, especially raised from coastal areas or areas where you otherwise expect to be on the defensive, because they basically stand around as a garrison on the cheap. It's kind of not a trap to have more generals than you can supply divs for, as various forms of conscription let you call up divs based on population, but it is a trap if you're not planning for this.

Also generals give boosts to their associated IG, but must be chosen from a pool offered based on clout--even if you can afford their maintenance you don't want to go too hard early because they'll inevitably just underline that chivalry is, and thus chevaliers are, not yet dead.

Landlords are removed by attacking the weakest existing of monarchy, serfdom/peasantry, levies, local police, or slavery; each gives a huge bonus to their political power. Sometimes you can luck into an IG leader rolling a personal ideology that's useful to you or a convenient agitator being in the exile pool, but usually you build industry to get capitalists who will demand enclosure and/or build up your military to get officers who will demand federal police and a volunteer army; neither of these is considered an existential threat and usually if you can get someone in government demanding them at all they'll have a decently commanding position to take down the King after.
Landlords are removed :unsmigghh: by passing council republic or command economy, both of which disable them or capitalists from finding jobs at all other than the Suez and Panama canals; they're fired, pout for a little bit, and then pop back up as honest laborers. Council republic requires managing the communist journal/event chain, which has weird modifier-overwriting interactions with the feminist event chain, but is a pretty fire-and-forget "you know how sticky landlords used to be in politics? now that's unions." that also brings the Armed Forces onside. Command economy is less fiddly in terms of getting to pop, but also basically converts the game to "Factorio/CoI played through a spreadsheet you have to make yourself, and there will be perpetual bankruptcy rather than just slowdown if your chains are unbalanced".

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mahasamatman posted:

Which professions are you lacking in particular? But in general, qualifications scale with literacy and wealth. They're also heavily penalized if you still have serfdom.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thank you so so much! Alongside that, are there any good means of preparing for a revolution or increasing people's standard of living?

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Josef bugman posted:

Thank you so so much! Alongside that, are there any good means of preparing for a revolution or increasing people's standard of living?

The intended way of preparing for a revolution is to make sure to move the arms out of an IG's hands before you make them mad, I think? Ie, make sure it's a regional dispute and they inherit minimal barracks and heavy industry. The cheese way is to simply look at where is angry and immediately before the revolution fires, set them to be irregulars with no artillery, and watch the AI eat the 12-month retraining penalty.

Increasing sol is a puzzle with a lot of moving pieces, moving on from subsistence farming is very important but in general every pound kept in a steelworker's pocket comes in from tighter budgets at the railroad and doesn't leave because farmers can only demand poverty wages etc. You can solve this with one of four models, roughly:
- brutally extract staples and raw materials from subjects/colonies, drive their price as low as possible, and then value-add in the core ideally for export.
- if you have a low enough population where it won't drive unemployment, and good enough tech, automate the raw material production instead. gotta be pushing full employment though.
- get close enough ratio chains large enough that you can afford generous welfare.
- liquidate the upper stratum.

Less complete solutions involve torpedoing the price of grain/clothing/furniture, bad for the workers in those sectors but good for everyone else.

e: there are also a couple categories where people demand variety and will be perma-reduced sol if they can't get it. everyone wants at least two of liquor/tobacco/opium as intoxicants, at least two of wood/coal/fabric/oil to stay warm unless electricity is available, above 10 want at least some furniture to decorate their house and then beyond that can do a lot with glass and a little with paper, above 15 they want all three of luxury clothes/luxury furniture/porcelain though radios can take the edge off high prices in any, above 20 any 3 of meat, fruit, groceries, and sugar, and conversely below 30 require at least one of grain/fish/groceries even if supplied with fruit and meat.
every other need can be completely supplied with any of its relevant goods somewhat interchangably, though often there are steep ratios: i think for example 20 services must be cheaper than one art to make your >30 rich prefer theater to landscapes. but at least if they take in 20 plays a week they have no desire for paintings at all.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Jun 25, 2023

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Thanks again! I'm currently trying to play as China and I am having real difficulty so have decided to swap for the villains, the UK and see if I can change history for the better.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
East Asian unrecognized majors in general are a pretty different game from the rest of the world. Similar to USA/Russia in some ways, in that you've got endless population and almost every resource at your disposal but a bear of a landlord class to deal with and you'll never truly conquer unemployment and subsistence farming; dissimilar in that until you win at least one war against a GP you get significant penalties to research and how much you can demand in a play but significant bonuses to AE impact and number of plays you can make. (You can always clear this by bullying Russia, which is also stuck with levies for a military for a long time.)

Japan especially is super-different because you're cut off from international trade until you can change the relevant law, so every finished good needs to be made from local raw materials. Similar mechanical demands to going planned economy, but with the training wheels that the AI will focus-build missing things on its own and mismatched ratios penalize SoL and finished goods production while you're still small rather than tanking the national budget while you scramble to fix 70 years of mistakes. Excellent tutorial for the development side of the game. Not as many options for a better world narrative there, though, unless you really take off and can start exporting the revolution or at least racial equality to the GPs instead of just eating Qing until the GPs are hesitant to start fights.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The new patch makes it extremely easy for Haiti to pay off its debts to France. I had mine completely paid off by 1840. It's nice from a gameplay perspective, but definitely runs contrary to the actual history.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
ai mod made it so I had some difficulties playing as Spain becoming #1 and eating Britain and France’s lunch. It still happened whenever war broke out but my economy snowball took longer to overtake them?

Not sure if game good mid or late game yet but something is finally cooking this patch. Still don’t have tons of hope considering paradox genuinely doesn’t know what is causing slowdown right now, but maybe in another year this will trivially be da GOAT

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3c-G0IVeXpw

Happy to see Bo and crew continue to play V3. The diplo plays they are having back and forth is something I wish dearly to be able to do with the AI one day (and see the AI do amongst themselves).

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Ah sick the dei has a collapse event too.

poo poo rules, had a lanfsng game just about to stall out as I needed to build up to fight the DEI, then the UK decides to conquer tidore, the DEI intervene, the Netherlands told them to get hosed then after a brief war they collapsed. If not for the drat UK immediately putting sambas under their protection I'd have free run of Borneo

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Finland run was pretty fun, managed to accidentally get out of Russia's thumb because the French Republic decided to do a transfer subject play for me despite being a Republic. Immediately jumped back into their market for the pops to sell too but being a free agent meant I could go conquering for all the coal and sulphur that was lacking in their market.

Being a dynastic union partner is tough, you're basically limited to colonisation of a very small number of places to get your resources. In Finland's case it's coal and sulphur, Namibia was propping up my industry for a while. It's not a great area either but was all I could do.

Run is probably over unfortunately. I refused to pass a council republic for long enough that my almost all powerful Trade Unions have left government to start a civil war for it. Nobody else has the Legitimacy to pass laws so it's definitely a civil war, which wouldn't be too bad as my rather anemic military is wholly based in the capital, but the rebels have convinced Scandinavia and their much larger force to join. Either I play the loyalists and probably lose or I play the rebels and the war takes ten years of AIs beating their heads together, both of which are probably game ending.

The good thing is that all those defeats feel like an actual consequence of my choices, which I like. Even a realistic one. Game is, even losing feels, uh, satisfying in a way.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Playing Brazil, not having sulphur is a huge pain in the neck. I have trade routes set up with every sulphur-producing country in the world and they still can't seem to satisfy my massive demand of 60 units.

Unfortunately the deposits in Venezuela are owned by Britain's puppet of Venezuela so I can't conquer those, and the deposits in Peru-Bolivia are likewise unreachable as both France and Austria will back Peru-Bolivia in a diplomatic play.

It'd be cool if there was some way to approach a country with a deal like, "I will give you the construction required to exploit your natural resource in exchange for some kind of privileged access to said natural resource" or just rent the natural resource exploitation rights from them for cash or something.

Gort fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Jun 28, 2023

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Gort posted:

Playing Brazil, not having sulphur is a huge pain in the neck. I have trade routes set up with every sulphur-producing country in the world and they still can't seem to satisfy my massive demand of 60 units.

Unfortunately the deposits in Venezuela are owned by Britain's puppet of Venezuela so I can't conquer those, and the deposits in Peru-Bolivia are likewise unreachable as both France and Austria will back Peru-Bolivia in a diplomatic play.

It'd be cool if there was some way to approach a country with a deal like, "I will give you the construction required to exploit your natural resource in exchange for some kind of privileged access to said natural resource" or just rent the natural resource exploitation rights from them for cash or something.

Probably what they have in mind for foreign direct investment in the roadmap. Give me monopolies and concessions, drat it! And then let me nationalise everything built by the Anglos and trigger a war.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Gort posted:

The AI's belligerence can work to your benefit. It helps to wait until Peru-Bolivia's defenders get into a hellwar and then try to declare while they are distracted. There's also sulfur in New Guinea if you don't mind colonizing. Also, the entire tip of SA in the Chile/Argentina region - like all of it - has sulfur.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Ithle01 posted:

The AI's belligerence can work to your benefit. It helps to wait until Peru-Bolivia's defenders get into a hellwar and then try to declare while they are distracted. There's also sulfur in New Guinea if you don't mind colonizing. Also, the entire tip of SA in the Chile/Argentina region - like all of it - has sulfur.

I'm stuck without colonisation laws for now, but good call on the Chilean sulfur. Is there a way to filter the map to show unexploited resources?