Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cormack
Apr 29, 2009
RIP Anchor Christmas Ale. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

smackfu posted:

Aka why I’m glad Russian imperial stouts don’t have calorie counts.

Most non pastry stouts are pretty low in cals

MunchE
Sep 7, 2000

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Most non pastry stouts are pretty low in cals

like only Guinness basically

any 10% stout you get is gonna be dense with cals

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Cormack posted:

RIP Anchor Christmas Ale. :(

RIP Anchor anywhere outside of Cali. My buddy and I just had a sixer of Steam a few weeks ago.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy

MunchE posted:

like only Guinness basically

any 10% stout you get is gonna be dense with cals

Says u.

No nutritional information label means I can say what I want!

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Someone posted a kegerator to my local Buy Nothing group and I was the first person to post asking about it so uh... guess I might get a free kegerator? :stare:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Do it!

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Alright. Going to lose my mind with the kegerator. To recap, first half dozen kegs were fine, then started getting too much head. Got the line cleaning kit from amazon. Used it and next keg was perfect. Figured I could get a few without having to go through that again. Next keg was back to being tons of head. Used the kit again yesterday, and found a small bit of black stuff within one of the little holes in the spout so I figured I would be in the clear. Friday night comes. Same loving thing again. Take a little USB fan I have and connect it to a portable battery pack and point it up into the tower because that must be all thats left that can be wrong right? Get one pint that seems a bit better, but next time I go back, nothing comes out. The line had frozen. Left the door open to thaw and still just tons and tons of head, I need to waste a crazy amount to get one pint, not to mention the time it takes.

I just get a few seconds of pure head, then it starts to try and go translucent but then theres like an air pocket or something and then it finally starts pouring correctly but by then theres 6 inches of head in my glass and I'm just going to lose my mind here soon.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Quiet Feet posted:

Someone posted a kegerator to my local Buy Nothing group and I was the first person to post asking about it so uh... guess I might get a free kegerator? :stare:

codo27 posted:

Alright. Going to lose my mind with the kegerator. To recap, first half dozen kegs were fine, then started getting too much head. Got the line cleaning kit from amazon. Used it and next keg was perfect. Figured I could get a few without having to go through that again. Next keg was back to being tons of head. Used the kit again yesterday, and found a small bit of black stuff within one of the little holes in the spout so I figured I would be in the clear. Friday night comes. Same loving thing again. Take a little USB fan I have and connect it to a portable battery pack and point it up into the tower because that must be all thats left that can be wrong right? Get one pint that seems a bit better, but next time I go back, nothing comes out. The line had frozen. Left the door open to thaw and still just tons and tons of head, I need to waste a crazy amount to get one pint, not to mention the time it takes.

I just get a few seconds of pure head, then it starts to try and go translucent but then theres like an air pocket or something and then it finally starts pouring correctly but by then theres 6 inches of head in my glass and I'm just going to lose my mind here soon.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Lol yeah what’s the point of a kegerator? If you really love one particular beer that you can get in mini kegs?

Otherwise reminds me of the growler problem where it’s a way to take four pint of a draft beer home but then you have to drink four more pints of that beer.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

smackfu posted:

Otherwise reminds me of the growler problem where it’s a way to take four pint of a draft beer home but then you have to drink four more pints of that beer.

Nothing to grumble about

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Because if you’re going to buy a lot of the same beer, why not have 40 pints of it in a fridge so no one can judge you for how fast it disappears? Also nice in if in the off chance you have friends.

Usually once you get it dialed in most beer is carbonated to about the same level and will come out right after hooking it up, but I don’t have a clue why OP’s worked well and then didn’t if it’s not because it’s dirty.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

If I could have an endless stream of Three Heads Tiny Kind IPA I would, I absolutely would

jawbroken
Aug 13, 2007

messmate king

smackfu posted:

Lol yeah what’s the point of a kegerator?

so you can keg your homebrew beer instead of sanitising, filling and capping a ton of bottles

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Theres just no comparison to draft. Its so much better than can/bottle its worth it.

When I try and let off pressure from the coupler side, I notice theres some beer around the base which sprays a little, not much. Maybe thats the root of my problem, though I thought its pretty secure.

RembrandtQEinstein
Jul 1, 2009

A GOD, A MESSIAH, AN ARCHANGEL, A KING, A PRINCE, AND AN ALL TERRAIN VEHICLE.

jawbroken posted:

so you can keg your homebrew beer instead of sanitising, filling and capping a ton of bottles

This is the exact reason a friend of mine had a kegerator. Once we stopped homebrewing except on rare occasions, he got rid of it.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

jawbroken posted:

Yeah corny kegs rule for homebrew. My gripe with kegs of commercial beer is that you don't really get a volume discount by getting it (at least where I am that's true).

Meanwhile it's summer so I got a case of bud light with lime because it's a nice alcoholic soda to enjoy on hot days. Anyone who criticizes me is a bigot.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Alucard posted:

Yeah corny kegs rule for homebrew. My gripe with kegs of commercial beer is that you don't really get a volume discount by getting it (at least where I am that's true).

Meanwhile it's summer so I got a case of bud light with lime because it's a nice alcoholic soda to enjoy on hot days. Anyone who criticizes me is a bigot.

The volume discount usually comes at the 1/2 barrel level since it’s 3 times the beer compared to a 1/6 barrel but only twice the price.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
I found a 2013 Firestone Sucaba stashed away for a special day, odds of it being drinkable?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
I feel those generally oxidize too much compared to other BA'd barleywines but also no reason not to find out. Drink that poo poo.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
It’s oxidized, but still quite good

Shabadu
Jul 18, 2003

rain dance

It's been years but i remember cambridge brewing company did an intentionally oxidized barleywine madeira style that was super interesting

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

And you have the whole Xauyu series in that vein.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Small breweries that are only open Fri/Sat/Sun aren’t reallyviable businesses right? They only work because the owners work all their spare time and the costs are low.

Idle thoughts as I sit at a five year old brewery that has three customers on Friday at 6 PM on a long weekend.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

If they sell enough to distribution/retail, why not?

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Well, RIP Anchor.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/food/wine/article/anchor-steam-18192913.php#photo-24022765

quote:

San Francisco institution Anchor Brewing Co., the godfather of steam beer, is shutting down after 127 years. 

The brewery was “losing millions of dollars a year,” said Anchor spokesperson Sam Singer. “Economic pressures have made the business no longer sustainable.”

Anchor has already brewed its final beer at the historic Potrero Hill brewery — “there’s no steam coming out of the brewery now,” said Singer — and just notified the brewery’s 61 employees of the shutdown. The brewery’s taproom, Anchor Public Taps, will continue operating until at least Aug. 1, possibly longer. 

“We recognize the importance and historic significance of Anchor to San Francisco and the craft brewing industry,” Singer said, “but the impacts of the pandemic, inflation — especially in San Francisco — and a highly competitive market left us with no choice but to make this sad decision.”

NoU
Dec 31, 2008
drat that sucks, looked forward to christmas ale every year. i blame the rebrand

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

Yeah, that sucks. I always liked the beer, and really enjoyed my tour of the brewery back in 2016. But I also can't tell you the last time I bought a six pack before buying one last week after finding out about the distribution cut back so I guess I don't really have a good basis to complain.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Anchor died so that some lovely local can have shelf space for their 15th hazy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

You're getting hazies on store shelves? It's nothing but seltzers and other poo poo that's basically soda because Americans can't handle bitter drinks

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Or inbev/macro bought out deceptively not actually microbrewery stuff

Both have squeezed out locals from grocery stores in my area that's supposedly a brewing mecca

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spanish Manlove posted:

You're getting hazies on store shelves? It's nothing but seltzers and other poo poo that's basically soda because Americans can't handle bitter drinks

...so, hazies.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yeah but I’m in New England so NEIPA still going strong. And yeah the other half of the stores are hard teas and canned cocktails.

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Anchor died because their flagship beer wasn't good enough to sustain people's interest and they legally crushed any attempts for the style to gain wider recognition.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Who the hell even drinks booze seltzers on the reg? Ive never known anyone to buy it for more than the novelty

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Control Volume posted:

Who the hell even drinks booze seltzers on the reg? Ive never known anyone to buy it for more than the novelty

High Noon is insanely expensive and still sells a gently caress ton. Craft cocktails never really took off but seltzers absolutely do insane numbers. Not to mention they’re the primary alcoholic beverage of pretty much everyone under the age of 25.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Control Volume posted:

Basically anyone under 30

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Mahoning posted:

High Noon is insanely expensive and still sells a gently caress ton. Craft cocktails never really took off but seltzers absolutely do insane numbers. Not to mention they’re the primary alcoholic beverage of pretty much everyone under the age of 25.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Basically anyone under 30

I hate them!! they suck!!!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
The future is now old man

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Craft cocktails exist so that places without a real bar or bartender can have more options. I can’t imagine them ever being more than that.