Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TVs Ian posted:

The 1st gen mostly was, but the iPhone 3G is when they started doing subsidies, and it wasn't 3x the cost of a Blackberry or Windows CE phone anymore. The iPhone 4 is when it stopped being AT&T exclusive and Verizon picked it up, then Sprint got the 4S, so roughly 2010 is when it opened up to a lot more people.

Spring 2010 was also when the OG Motorola Droid, arguably the first mainstream Android phone, was released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Willa Rogers posted:

Boomers are way too savvy (and too cheap) to spend $15 in fees to deliver $10 of fast food. :wink: In fact, it's a hot topic of discussion (and disbelief) at the boomer bbq's & happy hours.

eta: If you meant going to fast food to get takeout, that's almost as anathema, bc once you hit your 60s you start paying more attention to what you're shoveling down the old gullet.

I know of one friend's husband who sneaks fast food when she's not around but everyone else are p. conscientious eaters.

In other news, good news for the male schnozzers:

(A mod never got back to me when I asked if it was against the rules to post NYP stories, but I've linked to the source study & I'm also happy to swap in another summary if I've disobeyed an unwritten rule so please lmk.)

Wow, really puts a new spin on Cyrano de Bergerac and Steve Martin's Roxanne.

Furthermore, I'm an Xer who's utterly baffled that anyone would ever use DoorDash, etc for anything other than a super-rare edge case.

Brave New World fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 22, 2023

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Brave New World posted:

Wow, really puts a new spin on Cyrano de Bergerac and Steve Martin's Roxanne.

Furthermore, I'm an Xer who's utterly baffled that anyone would ever use DoorDash, etc for anything other than a super-rare edge case.

Look, sometimes you just want fresh baked cookies delivered to your house at 2 AM.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

What do you mean by in-transit losses? They are being damaged during transit? Lost during transit? Stolen during transit?

Yes.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

And to such a level that it is causing shortages that didn't previously exist? For specific drugs or in general?

Thanks for the info and perspective.

Yes. But I only see my sliver. And it’s not like I can be specific in any way for you unfortunately.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Brave New World posted:

It really takes the drama and urgency out of pregnancy cravings.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
If you can get a free month of Doordash/Uber Eats Premium or whatever they call it then it becomes "worth it" to actually use because this typically means no delivery fees + no/reduced service fees, dropping the price down to about par with dining in (plus some extra for the convenience). Without the premium feature though it's really not worth using.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I mean it makes perfect sense from the perspective of an above average earner who considers their time is worth more than the 15-20 bucks more that they're paying. And I'm sure plenty of average or below average workers would like to get some fast hot food without having to leave the house as well. I don't think it's some unknowable as to why it's popular, it's just wildly unethical to the workers and the side effects are a massive pain in the rear end to society at large, regardless of the benefits to the people who choose to use the services.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you can get a free month of Doordash/Uber Eats Premium or whatever they call it then it becomes "worth it" to actually use because this typically means no delivery fees + no/reduced service fees, dropping the price down to about par with dining in (plus some extra for the convenience). Without the premium feature though it's really not worth using.

I dunno, even with zero fees the tip plus the premium in-app pricing makes it a lot more expensive anyway.

The ones that support group payment are a godsend though. Now hosting duty is just texting the group link.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Yeah, I use it occasionally because I get the premium subscription free with one of my credit cards. Even with that it's still never a good deal and makes me feel bad for kicking off the Rube Goldberg machine of human misery every time I want a hot chicken sandwich and I'm too drunk to drive.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Boris Galerkin posted:

There are very few foods where the extra time doesn’t cause a problem. And a lot of those already had delivery before door dash.

People door dashing sushi makes me cry.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

:eng101: I looked up some stats.

From 2019 (before the great reset era):

I'm guessing the low-income thing is bc of correlating with age, or having mommy & daddy's credit card.

I've never even heard of three of the top 5, including the most popular:

(https://www.businessofapps.com/data/food-delivery-app-market/)

More in next post.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There are very few foods where the extra time doesn’t cause a problem. And a lot of those already had delivery before door dash.

People door dashing sushi makes me cry.

Yeah whenever I do use a delivery app I order stuff that doesn’t matter if it gets cold, which for me seems to be 99% vegetarian Indian foods. I don’t eat meat but even if I did I don’t think I’d order meat like a burger or something cause it’ll just sit there in someone’s car forever.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
My small city has gone "Ooops! All Sysco-sourced 'New American'" so I barely ever eat out because I can cook my own food that is cheaper and doesn't suck rear end. I think a lot of routine eating out/ordering in is really about the reduced mental strain, rather than any actual time savings (I don't intend any shade with that).

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Oh yah: Another reason boomers don't like food delivery that much is bc going to a restaurant to eat in for date night or girls night out is still a thing.

quote:

11. To watch movies and TV shows at home, 57% of the millennials have their food delivered. (Mintel)

12. 56% of the consumers have restaurant food delivered so that they don’t have to leave their home. (Mintel)

13. 43% of people state that the primary reason for ordering food online is because of their lack of interest to prepare food. (Statista)

14. 28% of the people ordered food online to save time from cooking and cleaning. (Statista).

15. Rather than dining out with their family, 63% of the consumers agree it is more convenient to get their food delivered. (Mintel)

16. Compared to a regular dine-in experience, 20% of consumers spend more on off-premises orders. (Restaurant Business Online)

17. Offering mobile ordering or loyalty programs would encourage 45% of consumers to use online ordering services more often. (Nation’s Restaurant News)

33. The number of orders for buffalo chicken pitas in Alabama is 201% higher than the baseline order volume for buffalo pitas in the US as a whole. (Eater)

34. Cauliflower pizza rose to 650% in popularity in 2019. (Comfy Living)

35. The top three items that spiked the sales in 2020 compared to 2019 are sandwiches and wraps (+21%), burgers (+10%), and pizza (+9%). (Upserve)

36. Only about 2% of the consumers preferred to order BBQ. (Upserve)

37. In 2020, the spicy chicken sandwich experienced a nearly 300% rise in popularity on Grubhub. (Bake)

38. Chicken is the most common delivery item among food delivery services GrubHub and DoorDash users. (Eater)

39. According to a Grubhub study, a majority of 2019’s top foods are comprised of vegetarian or vegan-friendly options. (Food Navigator)

40. Indiana had the fewest vegan meal orders while, the state of New York ordered mostly vegan meals, followed by California. (Comfy Living)

Food Delivery Demographics

The rise of food delivery has become a major trend among consumers across all demographics. This also means that there is a new entity between restaurants and their patrons, which introduces several customer services, branding, and profitability challenges. Let us look into the demographic statistics to understand how prevalent the use of these multi-restaurant delivery websites/apps is, as well as their relative popularity.

41. 41% of consumers use a multi-restaurant delivery website/app at least once within 90 days, (Zion and Zion)

42. Of those who have used these multi-restaurant delivery websites/apps, nearly 50% have only used them once or twice in the past 90 days, (Zion and Zion)

43. In large suburbs, online ordering rose by 3,868% between February 2020 and April 2020. (Upserve)

44. Younger and wealthier Americans continue to favor ordering delivery while their older and poorer group has not raised their buys to any notable extent. (Axios)

45. Between February and March, the percentage of parents using delivery apps increased from 16% to 20%, while non-parents saw their share increase from 27% to 28%. (Axios)

46. 34% of consumers aged 18–24 use online services for food delivery to get food from restaurants that don’t provide their own delivery services. (Comfy Living)

47. In 2018, 59% of Grubhub users were men who ordered at least once a week. (Comfy Living).

48. Men Grubhub users mostly ordered burgers (31%), BBQ (27%), and Chinese (23%) while female Grubhub users preferred Chinese (32%), Mexican (27%), and burgers (25%). (Comfy Living)

50. The less income a customer earns, the more likely the customer is to take benefit of restaurant delivery services. (Zion and Zion)

49. On a date, 41% of women prefer pizza when ordering food online. (Comfy Living)

https://appsthatdeliver.com/insights/food-delivery-statistics/

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Willa Rogers posted:

Oh yah: Another reason boomers don't like food delivery that much is bc going to a restaurant to eat in for date night or girls night out is still a thing.

https://appsthatdeliver.com/insights/food-delivery-statistics/

Are dinner dates not a thing for non boomers?

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Are dinner dates not a thing for non boomers?

Idk but those stats said most millies like to netflix & grub. I don't know of any boomers who do that, other than the occasional pizza night.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
At this point we don't spend money on prepared food unless we go to a nice happy hour somewhere. We have like 20 restaurants 5 min away with amazing happy hours and mid-high end food. I don't have nearly the appetite I used to so unless it's super fancy, nearly everything outside of happy hour has insane portions. A couple of decent cocktails and a small plate or two is ideal. I'm an older millennial though so I guess I might as well be a boomer for the purposes of this discussion.

Most of the week we still Netflix and grub, except instead of ordering food I cook it

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Willa Rogers posted:

Idk but those stats said most millies like to netflix & grub. I don't know of any boomers who do that, other than the occasional pizza night.

Millennials are a lot more likely to have young kids at home than boomers. Taking kids to a restaurant is often pretty terrible, and finding a babysitter is expensive and a problem unto itself.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Millennials are a lot more likely to have young kids at home than boomers. Taking kids to a restaurant is often pretty terrible, and finding a babysitter is expensive and a problem unto itself.

Good point! Given the choice for $50 for food delivery or $50 for restaurant + $50 for a sitter it's definitely the wiser choice for those who have the money to do so.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I think in many cases whatever grub hub/door dash/ delivery fee there is gonna still come out to be cheaper than child care for a date night. I know many millennials didn’t breed but a lot of us in that age group did. We wouldn’t use that on fast food though, I imagine that’s more for the blazed and hungry demographic.

E: beaten

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I would probably order more delivery but I live in a loft condo and once I’ve put on shoes and gone down 5 stories to get a delivery I might as well just drive to the drat place.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Restaurants are expensive as gently caress.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

The use of fatality data only is a bit misleading. At least from looking at Washington State data, vehicle accident rates are actually down significantly across the board since covid, even for things like distracted driving.

however fatalities were still notably increased. So overall people are safer drivers - for what reason, I'm not sure. Possibly it's just that they're driving less. But the drivers that do get into accidents are just killing people at much higher rates.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The use of fatality data only is a bit misleading. At least from looking at Washington State data, vehicle accident rates are actually down significantly across the board since covid, even for things like distracted driving.

however fatalities were still notably increased. So overall people are safer drivers - for what reason, I'm not sure. Possibly it's just that they're driving less. But the drivers that do get into accidents are just killing people at much higher rates.

As someone else said, I really think it's all the giant loving trucks

A standard F150 is loving massive

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Now do pedestrian deaths.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Willa Rogers posted:

Now do pedestrian deaths.
Those aren't the kind of deaths policymakers care about.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

That includes pedestrians and cyclists.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Elder Millennial here. Wife and I used food delivery apps during the Pandemic because

1. We had “essential” in person jobs
2. We often did 10+ hour days
3. We are dinks with computer touching jobs
4. We lived in a anti-mask red state

Getting food delivered no contact was great. Grocery shopping sucked because half the people didn’t social distance and since I was often in a meeting with a guy who got sent home (we only did 1 step tracing) I didn’t feel like being close to anyone, let alone frail looking no mask grandpa.

Three years will get you in the habit of something. We’re getting back to cooking now, or just picking it up ourselves.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

30s and I use food delivery cause I don't drive and occasionally I want junk food/restaurant food. There are places to walk to nearby, but they're not always what im in the mood for, and either dining in alone or doing the there-and-back is obviously not the same as being able to be lazy and having food brought to me in a thermal bag.

Alctel posted:

As someone else said, I really think it's all the giant loving trucks

A standard F150 is loving massive
Yeah, the size, and more importantly the height, just really fucks with safety profiles. Not to mention higher center of gravity sort of translates to them not even being particularly safe for the driver either.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Manager Hoyden posted:

I dunno, even with zero fees the tip plus the premium in-app pricing makes it a lot more expensive anyway.

The ones that support group payment are a godsend though. Now hosting duty is just texting the group link.

Uber Eats shoves a bunch of 40% off (up to $15, min order $25) promotions at people on the app. So if you order food for 3 people, or get a large pizza for leftovers the next day, it works out to under $30 including all taxes, fees and tip.

I've even compared prices to the website of the locations and they're usually the same. You may miss out on a lunchtime special here or there but otherwise it's 3-4 meals for under 30 bucks. Which, 5 years ago wow that sucks. Now? Not bad

trevorreznik fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 23, 2023

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm a month away from 39 and disabled, so I can't drive. So I do use Uber / Lyft to get rides to and from the grocery store.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, the size, and more importantly the height, just really fucks with safety profiles. Not to mention higher center of gravity sort of translates to them not even being particularly safe for the driver either.

Does the USA have the same weird obsession with pickup trucks that Canada does? You can barely find a small compact car for sale these days, just used car lots full of pickups and large SUVs.

I know part of it is policy and how we (both you guys and us) build cities to require driving, but the reason giant pickups have filled that role for so many is beyond me. Are car salesmen evil and involved in all levels of politics down there like they are up here too?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Does the USA have the same weird obsession with pickup trucks that Canada does? You can barely find a small compact car for sale these days, just used car lots full of pickups and large SUVs.

I know part of it is policy and how we (both you guys and us) build cities to require driving, but the reason giant pickups have filled that role for so many is beyond me. Are car salesmen evil and involved in all levels of politics down there like they are up here too?

Everyone knows the bigger your car the more manly you are, and the US is full of very manly men.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Furnaceface posted:

Are car salesmen evil and involved in all levels of politics down there like they are up here too?

Correct.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Furnaceface posted:

US manufacturers have mostly abandoned regular sedans. It’s SUVs, trucks, and the occasional sports car. You can still get Japanese or German sedans, but GM and Ford abandoned those lines a while ago. Americans generally want to drive taller cars, and unfortunately there’s a little bit of a feedback loop with that. If most other cars on the road are big, you’re going to feel less safe in a smaller and shorter car.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Earlier this week/month when we were talking about inflation numbers one of the drivers was restaurant foods and I'm wondering if a large portion of that increase is people ordering in more than they used to with food delivery services combined with restaurants in general raising their prices to match what people are more are more used to paying online. Wages for fast food/food service work in general are also increasing faster than almost any other sector so I'm sure that's driving prices up, no one is getting out of bed for less than $12/hr these days even in my low cost of living city and that's way more than what a shift leader was making before the pandemic.

e: re: pick ups vs small cars, the number one driver in north america is that pick up trucks and SUVs have vastly higher profit margins compared to sedans and other traditional cars. It's why Ford basically does not have any traditional 2/4 door coupes/sedans in their line up anymore. They're all crossovers, SUVs, trucks and sports cars. Gas is relatively cheap and parking is ample so there's not much of a downside to the typical person owning a fuckoff huge truck that will get used at best once or twice a year for its nominal intended purpose.

rscott fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 23, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Part of it is self-perpetuating, too. My parents aren't big tough manly folks who have a personal attachment to giant vehicles or particularly need a lot of storage space, but they're both terrified of being in a normal sized vehicle with the ten billion tank-sized F150s on the road driven by maniacs so they both refuse to drive anything smaller than an SUV because it makes them feel safer.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

If most other cars on the road are big, you’re going to feel less safe in a smaller and shorter car.

Only if one is a literal coward. There is no excuse for owning these large vehicles and anyone who does should be reminded constantly how they contribute to the death of the planet and those that live on it. A tattoo of the word “shame” across the forehead would not be enough.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Only if one is a literal coward. There is no excuse for owning these large vehicles and anyone who does should be reminded constantly how they contribute to the death of the planet and those that live on it. A tattoo of the word “shame” across the forehead would not be enough.

Except you are less safe in a smaller car if you get into a collision with a bigger car.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/vehicle-size-and-weight

quote:

IIHS demonstrated the role of size and weight in a series of crash tests in 2019, pairing a midsize SUV and small car made by Kia and a large car and minicar made by Toyota in collisions with each other. Both of the smaller vehicles, the 2018 Kia Forte and 2018 Toyota Yaris iA, had good ratings in the five IIHS tests relevant to driver protection, but they performed poorly in collisions with the larger vehicles.

Now if everyone drove small cars this wouldn’t be an issue. Once all your neighbors start driving bigger cars, then the story changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I have one very large car, but it's a 1983 Mercedes 300SD, so I would probably take the 35 year old newer Yaris in a crash objectively speaking