Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why don’t you want to wear the watch?

It should work as long as you don’t set a passcode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Duckman2008 posted:

You need to turn on number share , which you can only do by calling in (it is a bit confusing in terms of set up so I kind of get it).

Call here: (800) 392-0717

You may need to erase and re setup watch afterwards.

Thanks! We got it finally set up.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

MarcusSA posted:

Why don’t you want to wear the watch?

It should work as long as you don’t set a passcode.

i already have a running watch

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
:allears: lmao

E: content

Three Olives posted:

Anyone using the developer beta? Ultra in particular.

About to head out hiking for a week in a national park, I would really like to try but not if it is going to be basically useless on top of unstable as poo poo.

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you (yep, seems like) but work outdoors is a great app for the hike https://apps.apple.com/de/app/workoutdoors/id1241909999

Also don’t change your gear just before a big thing, Jesus Christ

Zwille fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Jun 18, 2023

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I have never tried this , but it’ll likely lock up and stop playing at some point. It’s only designed to keep,working while on you’re wrist.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Strap it to a hot dog

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Do like every athlete do and wear one per wrist, unless you only have one(in which case condolences). Apple watch will quickly revert to standby/lock screen unless it detects a pulse.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Apple Watch: strap it to a hot dog

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

The Grumbles posted:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

SlowBloke posted:

Do like every athlete do and wear one per wrist, unless you only have one(in which case condolences). Apple watch will quickly revert to standby/lock screen unless it detects a pulse.
I considered this, but I wear a sweatband on the other wrist

The Apple Watch doesn’t work great for running/hiking, or I’d just use it. I know people have opinions about that. That’s fine

This is so silly. I just want to listen to music without my phone and the waist belt required to use it :(

I’ll probably end up buying some cheap Bluetooth mp3 player and ripping my playlist to it, idk

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

The Apple Watch doesn’t work great for running/hiking, or I’d just use it. I know people have opinions about that. That’s fine

This is so silly. I just want to listen to music without my phone and the waist belt required to use it :(

I’ll probably end up buying some cheap Bluetooth mp3 player and ripping my playlist to it, idk

Which brand of running computer are you using? A sizable number of garmin have plenty of local storage to fit music on.

Also nothing stops you from putting your phone in your backpack and rely on voice commands with airpods.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Most people don’t run with a backpack.

Honestly just get this

32GB MP3 Player with Bluetooth 5.0, 2.4" Full Touch Screen, HiFi Sound Quality, Music MP3 MP4 Player for Kids with Speaker FM Radio Recording e-Book (Black) https://a.co/d/aKeFAQy

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i do run with a hydration pack sometimes, but obviously none of this is an issue in such a case. ~ten miles or less, i don't wear a pack, and i like to have a little on me as possible.

i was hoping to find something that would work with apple music so i didn't have to remove the DRM on files and all that, which is a pain. apple music only works with apple products, and the smallest apple product that works with apple music is the watch. but alas.

i honestly didn't think the answer to my question would be "no." :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

i do run with a hydration pack sometimes, but obviously none of this is an issue in such a case. ~ten miles or less, i don't wear a pack, and i like to have a little on me as possible.

i was hoping to find something that would work with apple music so i didn't have to remove the DRM on files and all that, which is a pain. apple music only works with apple products, and the smallest apple product that works with apple music is the watch. but alas.

Serious answer, maybe find a 12 Mini used for cheap, and use it Wi-Fi only ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Apple Music is on android so you could get a tiny android device and stream it from there as well.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Don't wimp out. Buy one of those new £1,200 Sony Walkmans.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Lot of workarounds being offered when the best solution is to give in to the apple life and wear an apple watch. :v:

I know that doesn't fit the criteria at all but it feels like that's the least painful option of everything that's being suggested. Tiny+Apple Music+Bluetooth is a pretty specific set of requirements.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
He could also purchase those earbuds with integrated storage instead of a weird android device with doubtful security to insert his apple credential on. Like the Sony NWZWS613 or the Samsung IconX.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Wear it on your ankle.

Or dong

Or this

rufius
Feb 27, 2011

Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Someone else mentioned it, but why not just buy a running watch you like that has that capability?

I have a Garmin Fenix 7 that has plenty of storage to dump music into.

Or is this an issue because you use Apple Music and that’s not supported on your preferred brand?

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Yeah I have a Suunto watch that has a massive battery life even when I use the most accurate gps. It’s perfect, I don’t want a new watch. There’s a whole thing with this watch, Suunto tried to get people to upgrade by dropping support for it and they got reamed and coerced into adapting the software to work basically forever. They made a watch so good no one ever needs to upgrade unless they want a fancy screen. I don’t want a new watch for running, a new watch will make my running life worse. This thing is set up exactly for what I do and can make it a week of 80 miles running and not need charging. It is the most important part of this setup and won’t change until it dies, and then I have another one new in box ready to go I got on sale.

I have apple everything else. Computer, phone, earbuds, whatever. It’s great.

Sounds like my options are ‘deal with it’ or otherwise find a way of tricking the Apple Watch into thinking it’s next to my skin. Maybe wear it on my dick, idk. I don’t generally like arm bands, but maybe I’ll look into that.

Thanks for the ideas.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

The Apple Watch cock and ball torture machine

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I really do think if you disable the passcode the watch won’t lock and should keep streaming even if it’s not on your skin

I’d have to find my SE and try it.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Yeah, even if you have a passcode, you can unlock the watch while you aren’t wearing it.

Edit: I just tried this and it seemed to work fine:
1) turned off my phone so it wasn’t connected to the watch
2) put in my AirPods
3) took off my watch, unlocked it, and played locally stored music from the Music app

With a passcode, once the display goes to sleep it will want the passcode again to unlock, so you wouldn’t want a passcode. (But it still kept playing in that state.)

smackfu fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jun 18, 2023

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

…so this would work? It literally just needs to play music. I don’t need to interact with it at all. I don’t care if if requires a literal physical key to unlock it. I control the music with my beats fit pro. I would select the playlist, hit play, put it in my little pocket, and only interact with it again when I’m home.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I think it’s likely enough to work that I would try it. Apple has a two week return window if it doesn’t.

I’m not sure how much storage space the SE has though, compared to the current ones.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

…so this would work? It literally just needs to play music. I don’t need to interact with it at all. I don’t care if if requires a literal physical key to unlock it. I control the music with my beats fit pro. I would select the playlist, hit play, put it in my little pocket, and only interact with it again when I’m home.

Just tried and I am currently streaming Apple Music to my Airpods from my Watch which is sitting on my coffee table. I assume this will work fine with locally-stored music, but I don't have any on my Watch to test this with. Be aware that storage is limited and it transfers it by Bluetooth so it sucks and takes forever, but should do what you're asking.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The Apple Watch cock and ball torture machine

Gonna have to set my stand goal much higher.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I also heard it was slow to transfer music but the last few time it has been pretty fast. Like a 30 song playlist took around 20-30 seconds to transfer on an Apple Watch 7. Certainly tolerable. And this watch has 32 GB of space which holds a lot of music.

The “Automatically Add Recent Music” feature doesn’t work for me at all though. It was turned on for months and had no songs downloaded.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

smackfu posted:

I also heard it was slow to transfer music but the last few time it has been pretty fast. Like a 30 song playlist took around 20-30 seconds to transfer on an Apple Watch 7. Certainly tolerable. And this watch has 32 GB of space which holds a lot of music.

The “Automatically Add Recent Music” feature doesn’t work for me at all though. It was turned on for months and had no songs downloaded.

Maybe the phone jumped to wifi or LTE during the transfer, that way transfers should be quick.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I’ll put this here: I have an Apple Watch Series 7 cellular 41mm. Got it for my wife, she used it literally twice. Just not for her, which of course is fine.

Anyone in the market for an barely used Apple Watch, please feel free to DM (I have an official post with pictures in SA Mart).

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

MarcusSA posted:

Wear it on your ankle.

Or dong

Apple Watch: Wear it on your dong

Mods, do it.
I’m reporting this post.

edit: Oh wow, this subforum doesn't even have a mod :v:
But still, it's time for a thread title change, and it's this.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Jun 19, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

eightysixed posted:

But still, it's time for a thread title change, and it's this.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Zwille posted:

:allears: lmao

E: content

Maybe I’m misunderstanding you (yep, seems like) but work outdoors is a great app for the hike https://apps.apple.com/de/app/workoutdoors/id1241909999

Also don’t change your gear just before a big thing, Jesus Christ

We have two Globalstar messengers, nothing would be risked except like of like HR data, but yes, decided not to upgrade.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Workoutdoors is great for the offline maps. Not sure how that'll change when Apple Maps will allow downloading of map tiles, but the former app uses OSM data, which has a lot of extra data.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have set my contact under Settings -> Siri -> My Information, and on my phone Siri can tell me my address. On my watch, it tells me that I haven’t set My Information. I’ve tried rebooting the watch, to no avail. Anyone know what might be up?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
debating whether to upgrade my ~6 year old 3 to an 8 for $70 off during this upcoming Prime day sale in July or wait for the Series 9

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd expect the S9 to get a new processor, while the S8's was the third years it was used, if that matters to your decision making at all.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Subjunctive posted:

I have set my contact under Settings -> Siri -> My Information, and on my phone Siri can tell me my address. On my watch, it tells me that I haven’t set My Information. I’ve tried rebooting the watch, to no avail. Anyone know what might be up?

On my phone Siri will randomly forget it has my address on file even when it gave my directions earlier in the day. Is it happening repeatedly on your watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

buglord posted:

On my phone Siri will randomly forget it has my address on file even when it gave my directions earlier in the day. Is it happening repeatedly on your watch?

I’ve been trying for like 3 hours since I set it on my phone. Maybe I’ll open a support chat…