Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

https://www.curbed.com/2023/06/oceangate-titan-submarine-unregulated-tourism.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

nine-gear crow posted:

https://twitter.com/TitanicSub/status/1671994805256179712

Oh Jesus, the kid knew this was a bad idea before he even got on the sub but did it for his dad, who didn't know any better :yikes:

Peer pressure

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh Jesus, the kid knew this was a bad idea before he even got on the sub but did it for his dad, who didn't know any better :yikes:

I had no idea a 19 year old was on there. I just thought it was middle aged rich idiots.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Wait wait wait I know I'm late to the party but they put the shitter right under the only observation window?

Fuckers deserved it all

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean we already knew how much pressure he was under. :v:

The kid is the only one I actually feel bad about, dad is a piece of poo poo. Risk your own life if you want but don't risk your 19 year old kid's against his wishes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

R.L. Stine posted:

once more newfoundland has to take care of everyone else's ocean fuckups

Come From Away sequel looking dark.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sydin posted:

The kid is the only one I actually feel bad about, dad is a piece of poo poo. Risk your own life if you want but don't risk your 19 year old kid's against his wishes.

Same. Dude straight up murdered his own son with his hubris.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

ThinkTank posted:

"I'll bring my son with me."

https://twitter.com/acechhh/status/1672011420353933316

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

North Pacific?

Hibajubwa
Oct 30, 2003

KILL ALL HUMANS
Can someone repost that image of the African pallbearer-dancers carrying the sub? I cant find it and its hilarity is haunting me.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I was reading an article and it said that James Cameron has visited the Titanic 33 times. Wild.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Big rear end On Fire posted:

or the viewport could have failed given it was only certified to 1,300 m

Being certified to a certain depth doesn't tell anything about how deep it can go without failing, it just means that if it breaks at 3000m you won't get refunded.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
I suppose the reason that they didn't call it when they heard the implosion sounds on the navy listening devices was that it wasn't conclusive enough to end a search & rescue (or recovery) operation. It would be irresponsible and also a very bad look to quit searching before having concrete evidence such as debris even with strong circumstantial evidence that the vessel imploded early on. And even then, if they had concluded that the sub had imploded right around when they lost contact, searching for remains of the sub would still be important to do from a public perception standpoint that we don't give up on lost mariners until they're rescued or absolutely sure they're lost.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yes.

If these guys had actual engineers they would of done this. It sounds like the CEO replaced anyone competent who disagreed with him with 21 year old grad students who would say yes to everything or be fired.

Carbon fibre is a poo poo-rear end material in compression and composites are one of the few things which fatigue in compression.

Like genuinely if they'd made the hull out of an alloy steel forging or a titanium forging they'd likely of been fine.

theres no way for that design to have worked if it was made entirely out of metal without encasing it in several feet of that glass foam cameron used

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

"major character death"

https://twitter.com/lunasorcery/status/1671979305725730820

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

You Are A Elf posted:

All they gotta do is input the Contra code into the sub’s controller.

30 extra lives ought to buy them some time to be rescued.

Nope, some bozo did the ABACABB code instead

Lusty Grundles
Jun 9, 2023

Potentially, someone should've told Lockheed Martin there were things to bomb down there.

I don't know a huge amount about carbon fibre, but I feel like performance at extreme depths was more suited to steel or titanium?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

smellmycheese posted:

So the crew on the boat heard the noise of an implosion when they lost contact with groversub, but they’ve just let the media run with an oxygen countdown story for 3 days

https://twitter.com/shejstaz/status/1671944064558661683?s=46&t=m_nNbkNoHG4lLitcpyHReg

So what the heck was the “hearing a banging sound every 30 minutes”? Just complete speculation?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

how long until the Chuck Tingle novelization?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"Safety is a waste"

Yeah, a waste of life!

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Drone_Fragger posted:

Yes.

If these guys had actual engineers they would of done this. It sounds like the CEO replaced anyone competent who disagreed with him with 21 year old grad students who would say yes to everything or be fired.

Carbon fibre is a poo poo-rear end material in compression and composites are one of the few things which fatigue in compression.

Like genuinely if they'd made the hull out of an alloy steel forging or a titanium forging they'd likely of been fine.

also the shape is cheap, which is why they went with the cylinder

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Hibajubwa posted:

Can someone repost that image of the African pallbearer-dancers carrying the sub? I cant find it and its hilarity is haunting me.

Nyan Bread
Mar 17, 2006

Man Amazon used to sell these blue sturdy-looking 55 gallon drums of lube which would have been perfect for my startup deep lake touring agency.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Hed posted:

So what the heck was the “hearing a banging sound every 30 minutes”? Just complete speculation?

it was a clickbait embellishment of one sentence from the coast guard press release two days ago

at least as far as i could tell from the articles that even bothered to cite a source

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

bollig posted:

I was reading an article and it said that James Cameron has visited the Titanic 33 times. Wild.

Save some for the rest of us, Jimmy!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jJ_SSU-ocU

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Lusty Grundles posted:

Potentially, someone should've told Lockheed Martin there were things to bomb down there.

Immediately after the Titanic sank a bunch of rich relatives got together and came up with a plan to drop depth charges onto the wreck to make all the rich guys bodies float to the surface.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Hed posted:

It was the crabs coming in shifts to pick apart the wreckage for any tasty meat mist.

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
OceanGate site is down

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Hed posted:

It was the orcas.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Wee posted:

OceanGate site is down

How deep?

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Nenonen posted:

How deep?

3.8km

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
Who actually said they detected the banging? OceanGate or the Coast Guard?

And with what equipment?-

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Lusty Grundles posted:

I don't know a huge amount about carbon fibre, but I feel like performance at extreme depths was more suited to steel or titanium?

Carbon Fiber is tough as hell for its relative weight, but its failure mode is basically "do nothing, then shatter into splinters". Planes and other poo poo that needs to be light can make good use of carbon fiber, I literally don't understand why it was used in place of better metals in this sub.

It was probably cheaper to custom make a carbon fiber tube that had a compressive strength of a given level, and they decided "eh gently caress it". It was just a poorly designed death trap from the start. :shrug:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bad Purchase posted:

how long until the Chuck Tingle novelization?

Pounded In The Butt By My Poorly Constructed Death Trap Submarine

Indiana
Feb 28, 2003
We named the dog Indiana!

Lampsacus posted:

20 mins of oxygen left :(

The cigar burn is for effect.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

Wee posted:

canadian p3 surveillance aircraft, coast guard only confirmed iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Wee posted:

Canadian search and rescue with an aircraft. They drop buoys that detect sound and they transmit that data back to the plane.