Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
Calling it - No reparations will be paid by anyone, but Russia's reserves will be seized to "pay for all the support already provided to Ukraine" and stay in the west.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

How is Ukraine going to extract those reparations? Don’t they need to win a war to do that?

A person swallowing the corporate media narrative thus far would be very confused by this question.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Russia has damages too from the sanctions

not smart by ukriane there

speng31b
May 8, 2010

biden is going to personally mouthfeed the reparations to zelenskyy like a baby bird

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
get your reparations from my pamps

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Freezer posted:

Calling it - No reparations will be paid by anyone, but Russia's reserves will be seized to "pay for all the support already provided to Ukraine" and stay in the west.

This but the USA will just take it all for themselves and tell the EU to get back in their place as good vassals should. Ukraine won't get a cent.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Mr Teatime posted:

I see we’re at the ‘actually Ukraine should pay reparations to Russia’ stage of posting in the extremely not just supporting Russia thread.

There's no "should". Read Mearsheimer ('s wiki page).

Fell Mood posted:

The issue is that statement is wrong. Morally, you bear no responsibility for something you can't change.

I don't think the moral framing is helpful and it's easy to strip it from these ideas, but because you used it I'll keep it. Nobody is saying one American can stop the war machine. You could stop paying taxes. One less bomb, one less dead innocent.
Perhaps an example less personal would help. What was the moral responsibility of German civilians for the holocaust?

Some Guy TT posted:

it owns how american soft power has convinced people in circumstances where they could have a decent life living anywhere on the planet that actually they owe everything to america the place they came from is a shithole and we definitely dont have nearly identical shitholes pretty much everywhere that nots a bougiezone

I've never been to America so don't really know, but are you telling me that you think America's worst shithole is pretty similar to India's? Because I am sceptical.

BULBASAUR posted:

bytch whatever th e gently caress is in the stock photo it 'aint borsh

Time for a borscht recipe derail imo.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

speng31b posted:

biden is going to personally mouthfeed the reparations to zelenskyy like a baby bird

this is future liberals want

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Freezer posted:

I'm assuming this hasn't happened is that money deposited where the west can get at it will be withdrawn overnight?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

my guess is the one way to peace is let Russia have the east and the coast. then the rump Ukrainian state can vote to join Poland or Belarus. the vote would probably be for Poland.

USA and nato would cover reparations

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

euphronius posted:

my guess is the one way to peace is let Russia have the east and the coast. then the rump Ukrainian state can vote to join Poland or Belarus. the vote would probably be for Poland.

USA and nato would cover reparations

poland, hungary, romania, and moldova all come in for a huge party

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

bedpan posted:

poland, hungary, romania, and moldova all come in for a huge party

Sounds like a pretty good party. Everyone gets a piece.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I think that works becuase the USA/nato still gets its nato colony close to Russia

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

Freezer posted:

I mean Ursula von der Leyen has already said that just a few days ago. The EU is going to provide a rebuilding fund to Ukraine consisting of a small amount of EU aid, and the majority made up from bonds on the capital markets and liquidating Russian assets that were seized under sanctions.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

12 Twelve Twelved posted:

Big balls over a dozen pages from peeps who never got their asses beat at a protest

I prefer anti government activists who don't get their asses beat.
Try not standing around in a crowd holding signs.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

that drat smile

Weka
May 5, 2019

StashAugustine posted:

I've always thought the funniest resolution would be Putin getting overthrown by the communists

After implementing non-ideological Dengism.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Weka posted:

I don't think the moral framing is helpful and it's easy to strip it from these ideas, but because you used it I'll keep it. Nobody is saying one American can stop the war machine. You could stop paying taxes. One less bomb, one less dead innocent.
Perhaps an example less personal would help. What was the moral responsibility of German civilians for the holocaust?

“one plus one plus one plus one… equals a society” -someone who is very smart

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Marenghi posted:

I mean Ursula von der Leyen has already said that just a few days ago. The EU is going to provide a rebuilding fund to Ukraine consisting of a small amount of EU aid, and the majority made up from bonds on the capital markets and liquidating Russian assets that were seized under sanctions.

but what happens to other foreign reserves in western markets?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Weka posted:

Time for a borscht recipe derail imo.

borsch is like eastern european hummus, everybody has their own take (which is obv the original hummus/borsch recipe they fight everyone else over)

Weka
May 5, 2019

The Oldest Man posted:

Wouldn't you know it, your F-16s are now getting dunkaroo'd by S-400s, please send F35 stealth strike fighter

One interesting thing about peace treaty chat is Naftali Bennett saying if Russia shoots S300s at
Israeli planes in Syria, they will lose planes. IDK what proportion of their bombing is done by f35s but they could presumably lean on them more heavily in a more contested environment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

I prefer anti government activists who don't get their asses beat.
Try not standing around in a crowd holding signs.

Imagine thinking protests do anything besides put you on a list for later

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
similarly, if you put peas/beats/chocolate into hummus its no longer hummus you philistine

similarly, if you put meat into your beat soup its no longer borsch you eastern european neanderthal

Weka
May 5, 2019

Jonah Galtberg posted:

“one plus one plus one plus one… equals a society” -someone who is very smart

You disparaging somebody is a compliment.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

BULBASAUR posted:

similarly, if you put peas/beats/chocolate into hummus its no longer hummus you philistine

similarly, if you put meat into your beat soup its no longer borsch you eastern european neanderthal

Why would you put chocolate into hummus :wtc:

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Weka posted:

You disparaging somebody is a compliment.

read a contribution to the critique of political economy

edit: here u go https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1859/critique-pol-economy/

Jonah Galtberg has issued a correction as of 00:43 on Jun 23, 2023

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Slavvy posted:

white people

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

BULBASAUR posted:

Slavvy posted:

never heard of anyone putting chocolate into hummus. why would you do such a thing?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Mr Teatime posted:

I see we’re at the ‘actually Ukraine should pay reparations to Russia’ stage of posting in the extremely not just supporting Russia thread.

Realistically, the Ukraine will be paying the IMF "reparations" if it still exists at all by the end of the war.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Marenghi posted:

“The bombs falling on your troops are being paid for with your own money lol”

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Slavvy posted:

its good

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Also I like when people have takes like "Russia should surrender and apologize to Ukraine" where it's like yeah sure man, but gimme a rub of that genie lamp you're using when you're done

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Starsfan posted:

the most compelling speculation I've heard on this (and I'm not saying I think this is a good thing, it would be horrible for the people in Ukraine) is that Russia intends to fully land-lock Ukraine so that they have a way of shutting off the tap and strangling them economically if they get belligerent at any point in the future... in lieu of ever being on good relations with whatever is left of the independent Ukrainian state after this war. Basically make Ukraine's access to the sea contingent on Russia's good will.

Big Palestine.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1671837422416539649?s=20

Ukraine’s new strategy to win will be to put all its points into economy techs

tazjin
Jul 24, 2015

DancingShade posted:

Me walking around the border lands, formerly known as Ukraine

was this pun intentional

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Chillgamesh posted:

Also I like when people have takes like "Russia should surrender and apologize to Ukraine" where it's like yeah sure man, but gimme a rub of that genie lamp you're using when you're done

Rub the genie lamp and pass the opium pipe, one strategic planner says to the other.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

https://twitter.com/KyivIndependent/status/1671837422416539649?s=20

Ukraine’s new strategy to win will be to put all its points into economy techs

Is this because they're planning on finding the Spear of Destiny or Philosophers Stone?

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Orange Devil posted:

Big Palestine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/visegrad24/status/1671955374486814749

thank u estonia