Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

fartknocker posted:

I could have sworn there was one with some little old Soviet-style turret (Like from a BTR or something similar) mounted in it that showed up last summer/fall.

You might be thinking of the Dutch YPR-765, which looks vaguely like a M-113 with a turret on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mercenarynuker
Sep 10, 2008

OddObserver posted:

People there usually do that with MT-LBs.

I thought the done thing on those was to weld naval guns to em

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Alchenar posted:

Much like the point the milhist thread occasionally returns to when discussing the German arsenal across WW2, a poo poo vehicle that is proof against small arms and fragments is always better than no vehicle that is proof against those things.

Yeah, as an infinitely less extreme example it kinda relates back to what we were talking about the other day with the PTRS, or for that matter breaking T-64s out of storage. Older gear that can still function is always going to be somewhat better than nowt. M113s seem like they'd be very high on the "oh, well I guess we'll make do" satisfaction scale for their role.

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

You might be thinking of the Dutch YPR-765, which looks vaguely like a M-113 with a turret on it.

I'm having the same vague memory, so yeah maybe.

Kchama posted:

He probably just read it on twitter somewhere and didn't stop to think "how would that twitter user know this information?" because it was convenient for him.

It was an offhand way of saying that I've seen both sides wearing the patches while acknowledging that Ukraine has fewer R3ich enjoyers under arms. Although couched as a joke I thought that the intent was clearly understandable to the reader and didn't expect anyone to be obtuse enough to get hung up on it, deliberately or otherwise.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

A.o.D. posted:

If you're getting shot at by small arms, mortars and artillery, or plowing through mud, an M113 is leagues ahead of a civilian vehicle.

Assuming that they work.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
Ukrainians are apparently using m113s preferentially for casevac with considerable success

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
M113 struggled in the anti-insurgency and peacekeeping roles it was hamfisted to, but it has always been a star in a true peer conflict as a battletaxi.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

The 113 has been upgraded some over the years, including bolt on kits. I think they are now good against the RPG7 class of rockets, without cage armor.

Could be wrong, though. I know in Iraq, the bolt on upgrades worked on 7 HEAT rounds

E- glad others are pointing out it's an APC, not an IFV.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I never worked with 113s except for two days of familiarization back in AIT (I was always Airborne), but guys I knew who had liked them just fine.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

While I wouldn't want to be in an M113 being shot at by an antitank weapon, those in Vietnam that got hit by RPG-2s and -7s got penned by about 1 in 7 hits. And yeah, I know the state of the art for shaped charges has advanced in the last 50 years, they're still shaped charges and thus finicky as poo poo. In truth, I've now forgotten where I was going with this, but I'll just say that maybe they aren't as coffiny as all that.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Madurai posted:

While I wouldn't want to be in an M113 being shot at by an antitank weapon, those in Vietnam that got hit by RPG-2s and -7s got penned by about 1 in 7 hits. And yeah, I know the state of the art for shaped charges has advanced in the last 50 years, they're still shaped charges and thus finicky as poo poo. In truth, I've now forgotten where I was going with this, but I'll just say that maybe they aren't as coffiny as all that.

They are way better to ride in than any comparable Soviet design. That doesn't make them the Ritz Carlton, but if you'vd ridden in a BMP, the 113 will feel palatial in comparison.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Best part of 113s is they sound like a 69 GTO judge.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

The Dutch donated 196 YPR's to Ukraine, which coincidentally or not, is also the number of Dutch victims on flight MH-17.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

spankmeister posted:

The Dutch donated 196 YPR's to Ukraine, which coincidentally or not, is also the number of Dutch victims on flight MH-17.

:vince:

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

spankmeister posted:

That's throwing some serious shade. :c00l: :respek: :c00l:

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Ukrainians are apparently using m113s preferentially for casevac with considerable success

That's no surprise as maneuvering a stretcher up a ramp beats the pants off dealing with the doors on the rear of either a BMP or MT-LB. Also the M113 and YPR-765 both have more interior headroom.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The M113 with the engine and heater on make a nice comforting white noise to fall asleep to, as the entire guard shift on our west gate at FOB Warhorse apparently all discovered at the exact same time.

I only found out about it third-hand (after asking "why do we suddenly have so many more extra duty people filling sandbags"), I'd have loved to have been the relief that found them all (and I mean every single one) buttoned up and snoring

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
This dude interviewed back in March really likes the M113 for its ease of repair and reliability:
https://wartranslated.com/armyinform-publication-m113-armoured-personnel-carrier-with-the-heart-of-a-harvester/

added bonus, not standing in a pool of flammable liquid during use

quote:

Mykhailo adds that he also likes the precision of assembly in the vehicles. Liquids do not leak anywhere, a puddle of oil and fuel does not form in the landing compartment on the floor, as it happens in Soviet armoured vehicles. All seals are intact and perfectly cope with their functionality.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Look forward to seeing all the weird plowshared uses that Ukraine has for them in 2035

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I'm still waiting to see one of those Russian mobile field kitchens that they captured get turned into the world's most hardcore food truck.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675325267189761?t=495SJfmDHUJ_FmPMwfgxGw&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675330795380744?t=PASeIBZ__7fsinH7Qb2zNA&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675337816645632?t=kKMCIa24AYrXFMv-lUyVag&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675344049303559?t=mVaTcqRiDN_dPvsXhPCwBw&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675350521094147?t=XmavK3P1v7h5qzSzl08WGg&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675356581879808?t=FD_RhtXyyQWyeGNgCIhCfw&s=19

https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1671675359450787841?t=NHijT9k7NCqNn3Xa_rlEqg&s=19

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1671767278000504832

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672007214217809920?s=20

Here is footage from a pantsir failing to bring a stormshadow down.

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
liar liar Pantsir can't acquire

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Neophyte posted:

Missile sensors sold for fishbrick/dacha money.

How many export partners are looking at their Russian gear wondering if there’s a return policy now?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Blyat blyat blyat!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Neophyte posted:

Internet VFW › liar liar Pantsir can't acquire

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

Neophyte posted:

:thurman:

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Neophyte posted:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Your Pantsir has been pantsed, sir.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

It was an offhand way of saying that I've seen both sides wearing the patches while acknowledging that Ukraine has fewer R3ich enjoyers under arms. Although couched as a joke I thought that the intent was clearly understandable to the reader and didn't expect anyone to be obtuse enough to get hung up on it, deliberately or otherwise.

Here is your post:

"It is perfectly reasonable to believe both that the war should end as soon as possible in favour of Ukraine and that the western powers are motivated by something other than purely noble intentions. They aren't mutually exclusive positions and don't mean you in any way support Russia.
The same as thinking that Ukraine is the victim and deserves to be left intact and in peace, while also having grave misgivings about the consequences of super charging the military power of a country with an immediate history of ridiculous governmental corruption, and the second largest r3ich customer base.

You can talk about echo chambers while creating your own strawmen all you want, it doesn't change the fact that people of good conscience can and should have qualms about being involved in a war even if they believe it needs to be fought. The absence of jingoism doesn't magically make people quislings or sympathisers."

1. I agree with the sentiment.
2. Nothing in this post is funny, or could be construed as funny.
3. I was curious because it was oddly specific, not #1, but #2, so I got curious, who is number one? who is number three? Who tracks this?
4. Sorry for being so obtuse. Deliberately or otherwise.

BigRoman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jun 23, 2023

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

JudgeJoeBrown posted:

Is that footage from the perspective of the Pantsir operator? If so, how on earth did it get released?

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

raminasi posted:

Is that footage from the perspective of the Pantsir operator? If so, how on earth did it get released?

Social media is funny like that...

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

raminasi posted:

Shows why a lot of NATO countries, I know my one goes PED red when deployed.

JudgeJoeBrown
Mar 23, 2007

raminasi posted:

It was originally released by Russian social media people as a successful intercept of the missile as propaganda then people actually watched the footage.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You posted no jokes, and slipped it in with other actual criticisms I see, so uh, I think you failed your intent, chief.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

spankmeister posted:

yeah, they have been one of the biggest donors, and have given more military aid than eg. france

the pic is from a few months back:

Dick Bastardly
Aug 22, 2012

Muttley is SKYNET!!!

raminasi posted:

Russian opsec being what it is, it's a wonder we don't see more stuff like this in the wild

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

With Modi visiting the US and being warmly received, is there a chance we’ll see India being less supportive of Russia? Would guess there might be reductions in how much oil they buy?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Considering how socially unstable India is at the moment, stuff like "gasoline is now more expensive because it would be unethical to hoover cheap oil out of Russia/because we gave arms to Ukraine and Russia no longer likes us" is probably a lit match that no Indian government wants to throw into the woodpile, rising energy/fuel prices have traditionally been the sort of thing that makes governments suddenly stop being in charge.

So, no, I can't imagine India changing course in that regard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Does India have the equivalent of a SPR? If I was in charge of India or China, I would maximize my Mission Control priority to take advantage of the huge number of regions definitely try to completely fill up on Russia's cheap rear end oil right now.

Modi sucks but in geostrategic terms he is a logical person for Biden to be meeting with now.