Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I saw an interview with Emilia Clarke for Secret Invasion and she made it pretty clear that she has no interest in playing Qira (pretty sure there's a random apostrophe in there but gently caress it) again, which is kind of a shame. That should settle any chances of a Solo sequel. I'm probably one of very few in here that would be happy to see more of em.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Very depressing to watch Vim go through the same basic emotional arc that I did (except I liked Luke. Yeah, I admit it. The old nerd graybeard bait hooked me.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Vim Fuego posted:

o god luke's face

Welcome to the party!

(I love Mando, including season 3, I disagree with the average thread opinion on that one. Tons of fun. But holy poo poo, can I not defend CGI puppet Luke. He bad.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think CG Luke looks pretty good just in a vacuum, but the mocap performance is weirdly stiff, maybe because they feel like the illusion is broken if he shows any expression.

Anyway I don’t love the decision to drag Luke into the plot of the show, but when they set up the “finding Grogu’s clan” plot line at the end of S1 they basically wrote a check that he was showing up at the end of that plotline. Once you set it in motion, you can’t have some mook like Kyle Katarn or Cal Cestis or Ezra Bridger be the guy who steps off that shuttle at the end.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

General Dog posted:

I think CG Luke looks pretty good just in a vacuum, but the mocap performance is weirdly stiff, maybe because they feel like the illusion is broken if he shows any expression.

Anyway I don’t love the decision to drag Luke into the plot of the show, but when they set up the “finding Grogu’s clan” plot line at the end of S1 they basically wrote a check that he was showing up at the end of that plotline. Once you set it in motion, you can’t have some mook like Kyle Katarn or Cal Cestis or Ezra Bridger be the guy who steps off that shuttle at the end.

True, Luke had to show up, but you could recast him. Hell, the guy they got to play him on set is a decent look-alike, though who knows if he can act.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 21, 2023

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Graham Hamilton's basically spot-on looks-wise

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
I mean it's not like Hamill is a top level actor either, or that role of Luke Skywalker space wizard would require it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Mark Hamill is a very cool guy that I would love to meet someday.

But a great actor he really never was

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

thrawn527 posted:

Welcome to the party!

(I love Mando, including season 3, I disagree with the average thread opinion on that one. Tons of fun. But holy poo poo, can I not defend CGI puppet Luke. He bad.)

Manderlorian succeeds because the first three and last three episodes are great. Few shows both start that strong and stick the landing.

The issue is that it‘s only got about two seasons’ worth of material, which they padded like crazy with dumb poo poo.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

However you feel about the 'sovereign citizen hiding at the end of the galaxy's most nonsensical treasure map' direction they went writing the character in the sequels, hamill performed the hell out of it. Certainly he was better than any of the other legacy actors except maybe harrison, and personally I think he was better than harrison. If anything he's just held back by lack of screen time in the non 8s

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Yeah I'll back you up on that, Mark Hamill doesn't have to be a good actor, but he is. TLJ actually made me regretful that his movie career ended up the way it did. At least he gets to be the Joker.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yeah, I agree too: he is good in TLJ

But he aint a great actor, either in the OT, or in most of his career out of star wars

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Elias_Maluco posted:

But he aint a great actor, either in the OT, or in most of his career out of star wars

A more wrong statement has never been uttered

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Vinylshadow posted:

Graham Hamilton's basically spot-on looks-wise

I think this moment is what prompted him to say "just recast me". He's right, it's totally fine if someone else plays the role. I really wish they'd just pick a new "young Luke" person and run with that rather than constantly distracting people with assessing how good the deepfake is.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I think he's enjoyable in other roles he's played, and I think he was great in TLJ. He wasn't great in the OT, but in the face of less-than-stellar directing and writing and not being a detraction is some kind of achievement. Nobody says "The OT was great except for Mark Hamill's acting". I mean, maybe someone does, but that's not the prevailing opinion.

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

thrawn527 posted:

True, Luke had to show up, but you could recast him. Hell, the guy they got to play him on set is a decent look-alike, though who knows if he can act.

They really should have cast Sebastian Stan as the new Luke. He can act, he has the star power and he looks pretty similar to Mark Hamill. Especially in Fresh.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Captain Jesus posted:

They really should have cast Sebastian Stan as the new Luke. He can act, he has the star power and he looks pretty similar to Mark Hamill. Especially in Fresh.

I can only ever think of Sebastian Stan as the Ski Patrol bully from Hot Tub Time Machine

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
If they weren't willing to recast Tarkin there's no way in hell they'll ever recast the main characters.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bogus Adventure posted:

I can only ever think of Sebastian Stan as the Ski Patrol bully from Hot Tub Time Machine

My lasting mental image of Sebastian Stan is as an emotionally stunted kid who went on a sniper shooting spree during an episode of Law & Order.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Timby posted:

My lasting mental image of Sebastian Stan is as an emotionally stunted kid who went on a sniper shooting spree during an episode of Law & Order.

lol, didn't know about that one

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

YaketySass posted:

If they weren't willing to recast Tarkin there's no way in hell they'll ever recast the main characters.

The implication/threat is that these characters can and will show up again. Actors age and in 30 years you have to recast Luke again. This way, you can have Luke forever.

Forever.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Grendels Dad posted:

The implication/threat is that these characters can and will show up again. Actors age and in 30 years you have to recast Luke again. This way, you can have Luke forever.

Forever.

Rogue One is such a ghastly film. It has CGI Tarkin and CGI Young Leia, which may have been what pushed Carrie over the edge.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Luke Skywalker wasn't exactly a demanding role. His true talents clearly were always in voice acting.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Timby posted:

We all know what Sebastian Stan's best role was

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Talking and Leia in Rogue One were pretty transparently tech demos and Disney seeing reception and what they could get away with. At that time, Star Wars was guaranteed money and they could course correct how they needed to.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

YaketySass posted:

They recast Han Solo after not recasting Tarkin.

Assepoester posted:

I forgot about that underappreciated gem.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Darko posted:

Talking and Leia in Rogue One were pretty transparently tech demos and Disney seeing reception and what they could get away with. At that time, Star Wars was guaranteed money and they could course correct how they needed to.

True, and it was also about 1 year before Deepfake came out. They did that poo poo the really hard way, with full 3d models of the young/dead actor, instead of just finding an "almost there" doppleganger and mapping a face on it.

It does look terrible, although Tron:Legacy (also Disney) takes the cake for "young actor uncanny" IMO

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

RE: Tron, others have said and I mostly agree that it works inside the machine but the intro is really loving weird. Movie still rocks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtUhYEJrUE

THE GRID

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of, I just watched the original Tron for the first time recently. It actually holds up fairly well though for some reason I'd always been under the impression that the main human character was a kid rather than an adult programmer

Elias_Maluco posted:

Mark Hamill is a very cool guy that I would love to meet someday.

But a great actor he really never was

He's a better VA than a physical actor in my opinon

Larryb fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jun 22, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Larryb posted:

Speaking of, I just watched the original Tron for the first time recently. It actually holds up fairly well though for some reason I'd always been under the impression that the main human character was a kid rather than an adult programmer

There was a brief moment in the early 80s when grown-rear end people were playing arcade games, like it was a pool hall or something. My friend's dad (then in his 30s) could basically play Pac-Man forever. All us little kids would hoot and holler around the machine for 3 minutes or so until we got bored and wandered off.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

There was a brief moment in the early 80s when grown-rear end people were playing arcade games, like it was a pool hall or something. My friend's dad (then in his 30s) could basically play Pac-Man forever. All us little kids would hoot and holler around the machine for 3 minutes or so until we got bored and wandered off.

Yeah, though to be fair my only knowledge of the film prior to actually seeing it was a few brief plot snippets and Kingdom Hearts (which is not a very good first introduction to the Tron franchise in retrospect)

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

Oh no that's fine, I just wanted to add a little cultural context to this. It was a very small moment and by around 1986 they had gone full "for the kids". Then of course they got massively revitalized in the early 90s by fighting games, then a slow and sad decline with a few bright spots (DDR being a big one).

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's one of those back and forth things, I think. I think it took the late 80s and 90s for boomer stereotypes of the hard division between 'for kids' and 'for adults' to really set in, and video games were a confusing hinterland for a bit.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

RE: Tron, others have said and I mostly agree that it works inside the machine but the intro is really loving weird. Movie still rocks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXtUhYEJrUE

THE GRID

I forgot how sick the soundtrack for this was

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vim Fuego posted:

o god luke's face

C'mon man he was in a motorcycle accident

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Carteret posted:

I forgot how sick the soundtrack for this was

"2-hour music video for their latest album" is a joke for a reason

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Assepoester posted:

Kings absolutely ruled and this was also what I always associate Stan with first.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't care to see Tron Legacy in the theatre, but after I got the promo copy of the soundtrack at the radio station, I really wished that I had. The movie kind of misses the central idea of Tron--there's little sense that there's a civilization of computer people that exists beyond two or three named characters--but I couldn't stop listening.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I saw it on opening night in IMAX 3D... immediately after I had developed an astigmatism, so the whole thing kept jumping in and out of 3D and overlapping images and it was incredibly distracting and made me a bit queasy and irritated. Still incredible, but was really hard to get immersed.

Agreed that the world is too cool not to explore more than they did, but what was there was cool. I hear the cartoon expanded on things in an interesting way.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Tron Legacy had almost 80s Italian movies level "this soundtrack is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too good for this movie"

I liked it overall though and wish they did another one. I think more than other movies, the nostalgia/rehashed stuff in it really hurt it though. Any of the parts where we're learning more stuff about how the world works and it's doing its own thing I thought were really good, good cast all around, loved the look of it, etc. And even the CG de-aging I thought was fine and, intentionally or not, the stiffness of it really fit with what that particular character was all about.

Like when they go to the club/bar/whatever with the other programs that was cool. Like in Tron 1 it's very isolating because it's a big deal that Flynn is a user, they're fugitives on the run, etc. But here it's like we're in this city/whatever where user and program and control program live in the same space but it still felt really "small" which felt like the opposite approach. So like those small bits where there's bustling stuff going on were really cool to see.

I don't know, I'd be super hype if they made another one that built on the world more like that, because that's the real draw of both movies to me than the characters almost.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
On the topic of Mando s3, I am so conflicted about that one.

On the one hand, taking it all on its own merits without worrying about plot continuity from prior seasons, or different shows, I did mostly enjoy watching it. I never regretted watching it. The pirates episode was probably my favorite, but I also really liked the Jack Black/Lizzo one because of how downright weird and campy it was.

On the other hand, I really didn't care the fact that nearly everything established in s2 was undone, and most of it off-screen entirely or happening in another show. Regardless of what Filoni and Favreau's intent may have been, it felt like a huge rush to get everything right back to the status quo from around mid-s1. I wish they had taken and ended the show somewhere new, and not just executed a total 180. I was also put off by the volume for the first time because they made so little effort to hide it this season, which made some episodes, especially the one where Doctor guy (forgot his name) and Kane go on their convoluted side quest, look super cheap and lovely. I didn't know you could actually make Coruscant look abandoned.