Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Only if one is a literal coward. There is no excuse for owning these large vehicles and anyone who does should be reminded constantly how they contribute to the death of the planet and those that live on it. A tattoo of the word “shame” across the forehead would not be enough.

ya ok lets take it a step further, everybody should be riding motorcycles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Bird in a Blender posted:

Except you are less safe in a smaller car if you get into a collision with a bigger car.

https://www.iihs.org/topics/vehicle-size-and-weight

Now if everyone drove small cars this wouldn’t be an issue. Once all your neighbors start driving bigger cars, then the story changes.

Yeah. To being a coward and part of the problem.

OctaMurk posted:

ya ok lets take it a step further, everybody should be riding motorcycles

No. Everyone should be taking public transportation.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Correct. The only way to break the cycle is with trains. Beautiful, glorious trains from coast to coast.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

Everyone knows the bigger your car the more manly you are, and the US is full of very manly men.

Maybe the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, as well as its Canadian counterpart, can start promoting those studies about schnozz/feet sizes & encourage the emasculated to buy groucho masks & clown shoes as signifiers instead of F-450s. :wink:

borkencode
Nov 10, 2004

rscott posted:

I have one very large car, but it's a 1983 Mercedes 300SD, so I would probably take the 35 year old newer Yaris in a crash objectively speaking

My understanding is that modern cars are remarkably safer for their occupants than cars from even 20 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TikJC0x65X0

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Only if one is a literal coward. There is no excuse for owning these large vehicles and anyone who does should be reminded constantly how they contribute to the death of the planet and those that live on it. A tattoo of the word “shame” across the forehead would not be enough.

TBH, there's no reason to own a personal motor vehicle. If you own one at all, you should be reminded constantly how you contribute to the death of a planet and those that live on it.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

So... Shame bumper stickers?

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

With the Uber/Lyft thing: Rideshare programs like that have a much larger footprint than taxis and public transportation. And they are a loving godsend went you are having a medical procedure and need a ride but cannot get one for various reasons. And Uber/Lyft hell of a lot cheaper than an ambulance, if it's not a dire emergency.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Fister Roboto posted:

Correct. The only way to break the cycle is with trains. Beautiful, glorious trains from coast to coast.
Every American deserves to have a train run on them. Or for them, or whatever. People should be able to commute, run errands, and do leisure activities without owning a personal car. The infrastructure would be expensive, but much cheaper than the current road system, the hundreds of millions of cars, and the ruination of the Earth.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Edit: nm

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Jun 23, 2023

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

I've only ever used Uber Eats/Door Dash when I was sick. Saved me the hassle/misery of getting food when I felt like garbage and worrying about spreading it to others. Expensive but it provided a good service for what I wanted and needed.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
IRS whistleblower says Justice Dept. slowed, stifled Hunter Biden case
Tax investigator says prosecutor decisions whittled down the case against the president’s son

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/22/hunter-biden-whistleblower-transcript-garland/

quote:

An IRS agent who supervised the investigation into President Biden’s son Hunter told lawmakers that Justice Department officials slowed and stymied the investigation, whittling away the most serious evidence of alleged tax crimes, according to a transcript of his account released Thursday.

The agent, Gary Shapley, offered a detailed and potentially damning account of prosecutors who were either timid or uninterested when it came to examining the financial misdeeds of Hunter Biden, which Shapley said included instances in which the president’s son treated prostitutes and their travel costs as his business expenses.

The agent’s account to the House Ways and Means Committee also directly challenged congressional testimony from Attorney General Merrick Garland, in which he said that Delaware U.S. Attorney David Weiss — a holdover from the Trump administration — had full authority to lead the investigation into Hunter Biden and could do whatever he wanted in the case.

A Justice Department spokesman stood by Garland’s previous comments, and the lead Democrat on the House committee said the allegations should not have been released publicly while lawmakers are still vetting them.

The transcript almost certainly will fuel criticism of the Justice Department’s five-year investigation of Hunter Biden, which this week led to a proposed plea agreement on two misdemeanor charges that will probably allow him to avoid jail time. Biden is due in federal court in Wilmington, Del., on July 26 to enter his guilty plea, which must be approved by a judge.

Shapley's interview with the committee is public and is available here.

The timing of this release is definitely Republican counterprogramming, but I can't evaluate the independent validity of the complaints of the two IRS witnesses without spending a lot of time digging through the interview transcript and IRS investigative procedure.

edit: I've had only time to skim the 212 page transcript, but my impression is that it's bullshit. I'd really need to spend more time with it, though; of note, this guy refused to communicate or do an interview with the Senate Finance committee, which is Dem-controlled.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 23, 2023

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

cat botherer posted:

Every American deserves to have a train run on them. Or for them, or whatever. People should be able to commute, run errands, and do leisure activities without owning a personal car. The infrastructure would be expensive, but much cheaper than the current road system, the hundreds of millions of cars, and the ruination of the Earth.

USCE Spring: Every American deserves to have a train run on them. Or for them.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004

Discendo Vox posted:

IRS whistleblower says Justice Dept. slowed, stifled Hunter Biden case
Tax investigator says prosecutor decisions whittled down the case against the president’s son

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national-security/2023/06/22/hunter-biden-whistleblower-transcript-garland/

Shapley's interview with the committee is public and is available here.

The timing of this release is definitely Republican counterprogramming, but I can't evaluate the independent validity of the complaints of the two IRS witnesses without spending a lot of time digging through the interview transcript and IRS investigative procedure.

edit: I've had only time to skim the 212 page transcript, but my impression is that it's bullshit. I'd really need to spend more time with it, though; of note, this guy refused to communicate or do an interview with the Senate Finance committee, which is Dem-controlled.

Feels like this mostly whittles down to the "I think there is enough evidence but a lawyer doesn't, the lawyer must be wrong!" trap that you see people fall into all the time. "They didn't agree with me, so it must be because they are in a conspiracy" is not a lot to go on. I mean the right wing propaganda machine absolutely will but I'm guessing most people will see "but he was charged with..." and assume from cop drama knowledge that there wasn't actually enough evidence to charge for the other stuff.

Yawgmoft fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jun 23, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Yawgmoft posted:

Feels like this mostly whittles down to the "I think there is enough evidence but a lawyer doesn't, the lawyer must be wrong!" trap that you see people fall into all the time.

Yeah, further review finds that the testimony goes into bad faith territory, e.g. stating that the reassignment of all agents reflected retaliation rather than the fact that they'd finished their work on the case. There's also an emphasis on prior Republican Hunter talking points, including the laptop and "big guy". Most other elements of the "slow walking" allegation are tied to discretionary decisions by prosecutors. Again, though, it's a ton to chew through- this is based on a rapid skimming.

Though I of course can't discuss the specifics of the work I did at IRS (and I didn't do any direct CI work), prosecution for tax charges requires a metric fuckton of work and evidence, in no small part because legal is so afraid of creating harmful precedent.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jun 23, 2023

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

There's also an emphasis on prior Republican Hunter talking points, including the laptop and "big guy".

Talk about the "big guy" came from Hunter talking about the mystery partner 10 percent set-aside of his & James Biden's influence-peddling operations totally above-board consulting to foreign businesses, not the GOP, although the GOP is understandably focused on it in their investigations.

Here's the AP write-up on the whistleblowers:

quote:

GOP releases testimony of whistleblowers claiming interference in Hunter Biden case

WASHINGTON (AP) — House Republicans released testimony Thursday from two IRS whistleblowers who allege that the Justice Department interfered with their yearslong investigation into President Joe Biden’s son, Hunter — a charge the department swiftly denied.

The House Ways and Means Committee, led by Republican Rep. Jason Smith, voted to publicly disclose congressional testimony from two former IRS agents who worked on the federal investigation into the younger Biden’s taxes and foreign business dealings.

“Whistleblowers describe how the Biden Justice Department intervened and overstepped in a campaign to protect the son of Joe Biden by delaying, divulging and denying an ongoing investigation into Hunter Biden’s alleged tax crimes,” Smith, R-Mo., told reporters.

The testimony from the two individuals — Greg Shapley and an unidentified IRS agent — detailed what they called a pattern of “slow-walking investigative steps” and delaying enforcement actions months before elections. But it’s unclear whether the conflict they describe amounts to internal disagreement about how to pursue the wide-ranging probe or a pattern of interference and preferential treatment. Department policy has long warned prosecutors to take care in charging cases with potential political overtones around the time of an election, to avoid any possible influence on the outcome.

The Justice Department denied the whistleblower claims, saying the U.S. attorney in charge of the Hunter Biden probe, David Weiss — who was appointed by former President Donald Trump — had full authority over the case.

The release of the testimony comes just two days after Hunter Biden, 53, announced he will plead guilty to misdemeanor tax offenses as part of an agreement with the Justice Department. The agreement made public Tuesday will also avert prosecution on a felony charge of illegally possessing a firearm as a drug user, as long as he adheres to conditions agreed to in court.

Congressional Republicans called the plea deal a “sweetheart deal” for the president’s son and another example of a “two-tiered justice system” that goes easy on Democrats. They also pledged to continue their own investigations into the Biden family and what they call their efforts to trade off the presidency.

The first IRS whistleblower, Shapley, came forward in April when his attorney reached out to GOP Sen. Chuck Grassley of Iowa to say that his client had information about a “failure to mitigate clear conflicts of interest in the ultimate disposition” of what was then an ongoing criminal investigation related to Hunter Biden. In hourslong testimony, Shapley described several roadblocks that he and the several other IRS agents on the case faced when trying to interview individuals relevant to the case or issue search warrants.

Perhaps Shapley’s most striking claim was that Weiss asked the Justice Department in March 2020 to be provided special counsel status in order to bring the tax cases in jurisdictions outside Delaware, including Washington, D.C., and California, but was denied.

In response to that claim, the Justice Department reiterated that Weiss has “full authority over this matter, including responsibility for deciding where, when, and whether to file charges as he deems appropriate. He needs no further approval to do so.”

The second IRS whistleblower, who asked the committee to keep his identity secret, described his persistent frustrations with the way the Hunter Biden case was handled, dating back to the Trump administration under Attorney General William Barr. He said he started the investigation into Hunter Biden in 2015 and delved deeply into his life and finances.

The individual said he was taken off the investigation in October 2022 and informed of the decision by officials at the IRS, but believes his removal was actually ordered by officials in the Justice Department. He provided no evidence that was the case, instead citing what he had witnessed internally as he pushed for various investigative steps. His supervisor, Shapley, was removed at the same time.

Democrats objected to the committee’s handling of the testimony, noting that the two individuals are just a fraction of the many investigators and officials who were involved in the Hunter Biden case. They suggested more testimony is needed.

“We do not object to the documents being reviewed publicly,” said Rep. Richard Neal, the top Democrat on the committee. “We object to the process. Clearly, the case is not ready. So many witnesses have never even been contacted.”

All the Democrats on the panel objected to the disclosure, calling the GOP efforts payback for their release in December of Trump’s tax records.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

This is an interesting graf from the wapo writeup:

quote:

“He was expensing personal expenses, his business expenses,” Shapley said. “There was a $25,000 to one of his girlfriends and it said, ‘golf membership.’ And then we went out and followed that money it was for a sex club membership in LA. ... There were multiple examples of prostitutes that were ordered basically, and we have all the communications between that where he would pay for these prostitutes, would book them a flight where even the flight ticket showed their name. And then he expensed those.”

given that the LAT is running a story about a ex-club founder who was banned after outing Hunter as a member and too freaky for the freaks:

quote:

Damon Lawner, the founder of Snctm, has been banned from the high-end sex club after he publicly identified Hunter Biden as a former member. The claim about President Biden’s son was included in a Times profile of Lawner published Tuesday.

“Snctm, as a private members club, prioritizes the safety and privacy of our esteemed members above all,” a spokeswoman for Snctm wrote in an email to The Times on Wednesday. “Consequently, we neither confirm nor deny the identities of our attendees. Furthermore, we uphold a strict code of conduct, and any infringement leads to a lifetime ban. Please note that Mr. Lawner’s membership has been revoked, effective immediately.”

The spokeswoman said Lawner “has had no affiliation with Snctm since 2019,” when he sold the club for $1 million.

Lawner, 52, created Snctm in 2013 after watching the Tom Cruise movie “Eyes Wide Shut,” which features scenes in which wealthy elites gather at a secretive orgy. With a carefully curated guest list and membership fees of up to $75,000 a year, it became the free-love private playground of Hollywood actors, rock stars, chief executives, city officials and run-of-the-mill millionaires.

Lawner told The Times he chose to sell the business after the lifestyle he lived as its owner ruined his relationships with his family.

In the profile, he discussed the early days of the club, the elaborate Snctm masquerade parties he hosted at mansions and nightclubs around town, and his latest business ventures: an erotic restaurant on the Sunset Strip and a high-end cannabis line called Sex Weed.

The story also noted that after Hunter Biden reached a plea deal with federal prosecutors on Tuesday, Lawner said in an Instagram Story that the president’s son had once been a Snctm member.

“Hunter was a member at Snctm and I canceled his membership after 1 party because he’s a scumbag,” Lawner wrote in a since-deleted post.

The ownership group now in control of Snctm took issue with Lawner’s post. Reached by phone Wednesday, Lawner said one of the club’s owners texted him on Tuesday and informed him of the ban.

“Posting what I did on my Instagram about Hunter was me letting people know that the type of behavior that he exhibited was something that upsets me,” Lawner said. “I knew that the consequences could be me not being part of Snctm anymore, but I was willing to take that risk.”

Of the ban, he said: “I literally don’t care in the sense that I don’t need to go to Snctm parties. The only reason that I have attended any parties in the last, whatever, any amount of time, is friends have wanted to check it out so I brought them. But personally it’s not something I’m interested in anymore.”

Asked about the specific reasons for Lawner’s ban, the Snctm spokeswoman responded with a second statement:

“As stated, we neither confirm nor deny the identities of past or present attendees. We uphold a strict code of conduct to protect our members’ safety and privacy, and any infringement leads to a lifetime ban,” the new statement read in full.

The spokeswoman did not respond to a call and an email requesting to interview the Snctm owner who revoked Lawner’s membership. A lawyer for Biden did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/2023-06-21/snctm-sex-club-founder-banned-after-naming-hunter-biden-as-member

eta the grafs after the one I quoted from the wapo story:

quote:

A week after Shapley’s May 26 appearance before the House Ways and Means Committee, the panel heard from an IRS investigator who worked under Shapley. That transcript was also made public Thursday, though the investigator’s name was redacted. Both Democrats and Republicans participated in both interviews. The investigator largely echoed Shapley’s testimony, adding details about Biden’s alleged tax evasion and saying he had been barred from taking routine investigative steps in ways he had not encountered in other cases.

In one instance, the investigator said that when he expressed interest in interviewing Hunter Biden’s children about expenses deducted on their behalf on Biden’s tax returns, he was told by a prosecutor that “it will get us into hot water if we interview the President’s grandchildren.”

“That was completely abnormal, out of the question,” the investigator said, according to the transcript. “And it’s a part of our normal process that we go and interview people, especially people who are receiving money or receiving payments related to a case like this.”

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 23, 2023

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s the sex club that had a reality show on showtime about it. They all look like pathetic nerds on it, but they hired one hot chick to have sex with people who were being ignored at their orgies, which I thought was nice. She was the most normal one.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Kalit posted:

TBH, there's no reason to own a personal motor vehicle. If you own one at all, you should be reminded constantly how you contribute to the death of a planet and those that live on it.

hmm yes, this is the kind of post made by someone serious about transportation policy

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I AM GRANDO posted:

That’s the sex club that had a reality show on showtime about it. They all look like pathetic nerds on it, but they hired one hot chick to have sex with people who were being ignored at their orgies, which I thought was nice. She was the most normal one.

oh el oh el. Please find the name of this show; I need to see it.

In other news, Budweiser's doing its best to woo back the Bubba crowd:

https://twitter.com/budlight/status/1671896007851020290

(Yes, there's a Black guy who appears briefly but he kinda looks Bubba too.)

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->

rscott posted:

I have one very large car, but it's a 1983 Mercedes 300SD, so I would probably take the 35 year old newer Yaris in a crash objectively speaking

I love my slk.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Acebuckeye13 posted:

hmm yes, this is the kind of post made by someone serious about transportation policy

he's mocking vbc's post

anyway vbc and kalit, please knock it off

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jun 23, 2023

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person

cat botherer posted:

Alright, I'll bite. What about more rural areas? Public transport works well on a regular schedule with dense population but what about areas that are spread out and will not necessarily be going places in a routine?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kammat posted:

Alright, I'll bite. What about more rural areas? Public transport works well on a regular schedule with dense population but what about areas that are spread out and will not necessarily be going places in a routine?

Busses, night busses and it being seen as a service provided not as a profit making operation?

In particular instances where its truly neccesary then some manner of car as well, but only if a need is shown. I mean that would be my guess.

I would pay a great deal to not have to drive to work every single day, and provisions to allow people to move about more easily for their jobs would be good as well.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Here's a good video on the topic of SUVs and fatalities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN7mSXMruEo

Josef bugman posted:

Busses, night busses and it being seen as a service provided not as a profit making operation?

In particular instances where its truly neccesary then some manner of car as well, but only if a need is shown. I mean that would be my guess.

I would pay a great deal to not have to drive to work every single day, and provisions to allow people to move about more easily for their jobs would be good as well.

Public transit absolutely won't work everywhere, nor does it need to to make significant changes. Some sort of shared vehicles may help in some of those cases in the suburbs, but you're not going to be able to move away from some people owning their own cars in some places.

sweek0 fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jun 23, 2023

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

cat botherer posted:

Every American deserves to have a train run on them.

:staredog:

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Getting rid of personal car ownership is a goddamn stupid and absolutely unworkable idea if you put even fifteen seconds worth of thought into it. Buddy, I've lived in rural areas where it's an hour to the nearest grocery store, and I've lived in urban areas with access to mass transit, and if you think that it's reasonable or practical to make everyone everywhere take the bus you are out of your goddamn mind.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Getting rid of personal car ownership is a goddamn stupid and absolutely unworkable idea if you put even fifteen seconds worth of thought into it. Buddy, I've lived in rural areas where it's an hour to the nearest grocery store, and I've lived in urban areas with access to mass transit, and if you think that it's reasonable or practical to make everyone everywhere take the bus you are out of your goddamn mind.

I mean, do you think that busses somehow cannot work in rural environs at all? I would think that in truly rural areas you'd still be able to do a quick form fill in and get a car if required, but I think busses could work for larger rural areas or collective car pools to help out.

I don't really understand the hostility tbh.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I really don't think you understand what actually rural areas are like in the slightest and why personal transportation is the only reasonable option there. Buses can work for specific functions, school buses and such, but they are edge cases.

In general though, banning personal transport is swatting a fly with a sledgehammer. Just have adequate public transport and infrastructure that makes car ownership optional rather than mandatory for as many people as possible.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, do you think that busses somehow cannot work in rural environs at all? I would think that in truly rural areas you'd still be able to do a quick form fill in and get a car if required, but I think busses could work for larger rural areas or collective car pools to help out.

I don't really understand the hostility tbh.

respectfully, bugman, Kansas - the thirteenth largest state in the US - is literally the size of the UK mainland and has less than three million inhabitants

I don't think you understand the land vs population scale of the States

e: Leviathan is correct that maximizing public transit where feasible is good even though eliminating personal vehicles is impossible

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Gonna toss this one out there as a probable reason for pedestrian death increases since 2010:

Smart phone proliferation. As a lifetime pedestrian and disabled person, I have picked up some common sense and personal rules when it comes to dealing with drivers, all of whom are stupid, which, to be fair, I am sure is how drivers see myself, other pedestrians and also all other drivers.

Even if I have a light and the right of way, I absolutely do not cross near drivers unless I am certain they see me. I signal them with intent when I am going to move. If I can't get eye contact on that, I don't move.

This is a rule I made after a few close scrapes. Most pedestrians don't do this. They just go when they have a light, and often if they don't if they think traffic isn't bad enough.

Smart phones started exploding in ownership right around 2010 if I had to guess a rough year. I'm willing to bet that correlates. Pedestrians are killed when they're not noticed.

I do not think punitive measures against distracted driving are the answer to saving lives. As far as what can be done... I would like other pedestrians to adopt hand signaling and eye contact like how I do. This should be taught to kids early, and should probably be reiterated during Driver's Ed.

I also think a big difference could be made by requiring a low light headlight always be on. From the driver's perspective, that doesn't matter too much, but as a pedestrian, I can say that a white or grey or light blue vehicle with its lights off on a modestly overcast day may as well be invisible, and making cars run with less noise only makes their distance harder to judge. Having front facing lights mitigates this issue almost entirely.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Anyone who has experienced both needing to take the bus and owning their own car can tell you that needing to take the bus sucks

It’s different in a city with a real system of public transport like nyc etc. but you will never convince the average non terminally online person in most of america that buses are a good substitute for having a car

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I'll chip into that discussion to state that it's impossible in much of/most of the country anyhow. I live in a public transit friendly city now, but I grew up in a rural community with fewer than 300 people. Ain't no bus route that'd work if I still lived there.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past

Veryslightlymad posted:

Gonna toss this one out there as a probable reason for pedestrian death increases since 2010:

Smart phone proliferation.
We discussed this a page or two back. People being distracted by their phone is a worldwide phenomenon. It does not explain why it's only the US where pedestrian deaths have increased.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I live in an area with half decent public transportation. They started a bus route to someplace near my work, but it would take three times as long - and the bus doesn't start early enough that I could *take* the bus an hour and a half to get to work.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really don't think you understand what actually rural areas are like in the slightest and why personal transportation is the only reasonable option there. Buses can work for specific functions, school buses and such, but they are edge cases.

Could a public Uber type program work? They don't own cars, but can make a call and get one.

I don't think we should ban cars, but make public transport system so awesome nobody wants a car. Would be cheaper than all the highways.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Part of car ownership is having the car semi-permanently hold some of your stuff and wait around for you to finish your errand, which doesn’t really fit with uber

I think a better model is Zipcar, where there are public use cars distributed throughout the community and you can temporarily take ownership of them for a time, then put them back when you’re done. But it would be a challenge placing them in very low density areas

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Ok but people living in rural areas already have cars. Whatever solutions you guys are proposing are just solutions in search of a problem. It’s really no better than a techbro proposing tech solutions for problems people didn’t know they had.

E: yes I’m aware there are posters itt that say they live in rural areas and don’t have a car or can drive. How about you propose solutions for those people instead of things like “let’s found a zipcar/uber clone for this rural community” that the community, in general, doesn’t want because it doesn’t actually solve their problems?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 23, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Meatball posted:

Could a public Uber type program work? They don't own cars, but can make a call and get one.

I don't think we should ban cars, but make public transport system so awesome nobody wants a car. Would be cheaper than all the highways.

No. Like, think for five minutes about what life is actually like in sparsely populated rural areas.

Also think about what life is like for people who have children, especially those young and small enough to still require their own booster seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

pencilhands posted:

Anyone who has experienced both needing to take the bus and owning their own car can tell you that needing to take the bus sucks

It’s different in a city with a real system of public transport like nyc etc. but you will never convince the average non terminally online person in most of america that buses are a good substitute for having a car

They could be with better funding! :argh: to be clear I'm not disagreeing with you, public transportation sucks in America, but a lot of that is by design and could be changed in a lot of ways that could really improve things for a lot of people.

Public transportation in America sucks, but that's not because public transportation is bad it's just that America is bad at it.