Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

HampHamp posted:

I've found that since getting an OLED frame rate issues are way more noticeable, probably something to do with the way the display updates.

I wonder if there's something to this. I also play on an OLED and can't stand 30fps on it, but I remember playing Zelda at my friend's place and thinking "weird, why doesn't this bug me as much as when I play it on my TV?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
a grading system definitely would have been appreciated, combat feedback is great but it’s so easy that it feels flat

FFXV was a mess mechanically but fights in that one felt more like a bonding experience with the Boys, between the chatter and the photos. this is more like cutting grass

faantastic
Dec 31, 2006

that dude.

Biggest issues for me thus far Eikon battles take forever and are not really that fun, the general combat is fun but very repetitive early on..

Having a blast after 4 hours, hoping to put more time in tonight.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Once you have garuda you can really just endlessly stagger the field monsters you run in to.

slev fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 23, 2023

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The swords that Clive gets are a work of art. They all look very realistic and badass looking.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
It took a couple hours, but I finally feel like I'm playing a Final Fantasy.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Ytlaya posted:

I wonder if there's something to this. I also play on an OLED and can't stand 30fps on it, but I remember playing Zelda at my friend's place and thinking "weird, why doesn't this bug me as much as when I play it on my TV?"

OLED got that sweet instantaneous pixel response time that makes low framerate content look like poo poo. There's motion processing that addresses this, but the problem there is twofold, one, it's only really designed for 24fps content like movies and the like, and two, it introduces input lag so the Game mode naturally has it turned off - not that it really works well with gaming to begin with.

The majority of people have inexpensive TVs, your generic bargain bin 55" TLC is naturally going to have more smearing and ghosting which reduces the appearance of judder.

That's partly why devs use so much motion blur in 30 FPS modes, because it addresses that problem somewhat.

But the problem people are having isn't really motion blur, it's the upscaling being rear end and introducing artifacts and ghosting with motion which is more noticeable on a higher quality televisions. Removing the motion blur is just going to take away what solves the juddering somewhat while keeping the real problem intact. People moan about motion blur all the time when I'm convinced it's just because the upscaling on PS5 is anus compared to something like DLSS and a good number of popular games use it judiciously because compared to the Series X or a decent computer the PS5 really does not have the hardware to competently run anything approaching real 4K.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

I said come in! posted:

The game reviews bringing up the story and characters with regards to the slavery plot, come across as concern trolling and performative to me. It’s way more nuanced than they are making it out to be.

Spoilers for the halfway (20 hrs) big game twist:
ok it is hilarious how like the entire slave caste system thing is dropped in the second half

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Some of the attacks you can pull off in this look pretty cool, like magic bursts involving a charged magic attack. I've been just messing around with different combos of charging magic/sword. It seems like if you have your magic charged you can also pull off an alternate "execution" move where you just jam your hand in a fallen enemy's face and explode them.

edit: Does it say Cid's age anywhere? His age confuses me, because he sounds and acts like he's supposed to be 50, but he looks like he's 35 and doesn't seem to have a single gray hair on his head (I could be missing this due to color-blindness though).

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

OLED got that sweet instantaneous pixel response time that makes low framerate content look like poo poo. There's motion processing that addresses this, but the problem there is twofold, one, it's only really designed for 24fps content like movies and the like, and two, it introduces input lag so the Game mode naturally has it turned off - not that it really works well with gaming to begin with.

The motion processing stuff can be very good in certain circumstances, if you use it with the right settings; the input lag (at least on the modern TVs like my C1) isn't noticeable unless you use the high black frame insertion setting (which I generally don't because it makes the screen much less bright). It's mainly good for stuff that runs at a smooth 60 fps, since it can make that content look virtually indistinguishable from native 120fps. But using it with 30fps in a game is usually too much and you end up with a bunch of artifacting around certain moving objects. It still makes camera panning look perfectly smooth, but other stuff will get messed up (if I play a game like Horizon Forbidden West with the 30fps setting, for example, stuff like Aloy's braids end up really hosed up). And if the framerate is unsteady, it also looks bad. You really need a perfectly steady framerate for it to work well, so it's a no-go with FF16.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jun 23, 2023

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

edit: Does it say Cid's age anywhere? His age confuses me, because he sounds and acts like he's supposed to be 50, but he looks like he's 35 and doesn't seem to have a single gray hair on his head (I could be missing this due to color-blindness though).

is this your first FF? in anime years 30 is 50, which is why every grizzled middle aged man character in the series is like 32

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Clive could have different armor that you can change out, as cosmetics. I would pay money for DLC that lets you play Clive Dress Up.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Granted, once I got the second set of abilities stuff goes really fast, but I still don't find the dodging easy. Like I have to force my brain to unlearn dodging in everything else and focus on preemptively hitting the button so the attack lands on the iframes. Parrying is essentially random. Probably should spend a half hour in the training pocket dimension or something just getting the muscle memory down.

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

People moan about motion blur all the time when I'm convinced it's just because the upscaling on PS5 is anus compared to something like DLSS and a good number of popular games use it judiciously because compared to the Series X or a decent computer the PS5 really does not have the hardware to competently run anything approaching real 4K.

I'm not sure about that, I mean the PS5 seems to have the majority of the best looking games over the last few years. Like comparing this game to Horizon as it is now (after a few patches admittedly), there's an enormous gulf in the quality on display. And that's with a proper open world with a lot more going on than FFXVI.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mailer posted:

Granted, once I got the second set of abilities stuff goes really fast, but I still don't find the dodging easy. Like I have to force my brain to unlearn dodging in everything else and focus on preemptively hitting the button so the attack lands on the iframes. Parrying is essentially random. Probably should spend a half hour in the training pocket dimension or something just getting the muscle memory down.

Parrying seems *really* tricky in this. It kinda makes sense once you get what it's aiming for, but is nearly impossible without knowing exactly how the enemy animations are going to play out.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am going to continue only getting parries by accident when mashing out combos, i still repeatedly dodge laughably early or late for the huge telegraphed attacks lol

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
I think parrying in this game is supposed to be like a mastery level thing. As in, I know this game inside and out and am going to display my prowess.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I both do and do not feel like the game is too easy rn. The boss fights seem reasonable! But everything that is not a boss is basically just practice where you style on them effortlessly.

Just like FF14

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
second eikon fight spoilers

me halfway through benedikta's second phase: man this is stylish and all but i'm still sleepwalking through this combat

after being hit with Deadly Embrace: OW. OW. OW. OW. OW. OW. OW.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

me halfway through benedikta's second phase: man this is stylish and all but i'm still sleepwalking through this combat

Pretty much how I felt lol

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yeah pretty much lmao.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I both do and do not feel like the game is too easy rn. The boss fights seem reasonable! But everything that is not a boss is basically just practice where you style on them effortlessly.

Such is how random battle in an rpg go.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Cid rules

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Just saw the full frontal gay sex. GOTY

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Anything specific I should focus my AP on? I've just picked up Garuda and haven't really spent them on the more specific stuff.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:hai:

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Omg clives mom is the worst lol

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Boss fights are definitely easy but what I can’t determine difficulty of is boss battle rewards. What do you have to do to get the extra loot? There is no grading system so far.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

All spoilers in this post are for a big mid?-game thing. Is it just me or does Joshua/Phoenix's theme sound a lot like Eternal Wind? He definitely has a lot of Crystal Exarch energy.

edit: Also the voice actors for (big spoilers) Ultima and adult Joshua are fantastic.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 23, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Books On Tape posted:

Boss fights are definitely easy but what I can’t determine difficulty of is boss battle rewards. What do you have to do to get the extra loot? There is no grading system so far.

i don't know if it was dummied out after early builds or something but the grading system only applies to optional arcade-mode refights and there aren't any rewards. you get the same prizes regardless of how you perform

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Shard posted:

An almost comically bad mom

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Kingtheninja posted:

Anything specific I should focus my AP on? I've just picked up Garuda and haven't really spent them on the more specific stuff.

golden rule of character action is always buy the cheap base stuff first

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blockhouse posted:

golden rule of character action is always buy the cheap base stuff first

but the flames of rebirth attack is so cool....

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise

Oxxidation posted:

i don't know if it was dummied out after early builds or something but the grading system only applies to optional arcade-mode refights and there aren't any rewards. you get the same prizes regardless of how you perform

So the link below isn’t talking about the regular game?

https://www.ign.com/wikis/final-fantasy-xvi/How_To_Get_the_Best_Battle_Rewards_-_Spoils

I could’ve sworn there was an early game tutorial mentioning extra accessories if you score well in a battle.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shard posted:

a long tradition of bad moms in Final Fantasy.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

I said come in! posted:

a long tradition of bad moms in Final Fantasy.

Makes me think of the queen from 9

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Such is how random battle in an rpg go.

Sure. But therein lies the problem. This isn’t an RPG with random battles anymore, so expectations are different.

If you’re gonna be a character action game, commit.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Shard posted:

Makes me think of the queen from 9

Yeah she is my favorite evil mom. For FF16 mom I wish she was in this more, rather than just talked about. So far I am at a part of the story that is building up to confronting her, but at least we are seeing the results of her evil orders, and how brutal and violent they are. But I think FF9 evil mom had more of an impact because we got cutscenes and more direct confrontation with her.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm not sure I really get the combat in this game.

If we're talking just basic non-eikon moves, why do I want to do anything other than the 8 attack melee-charged burst combo? It seems to do by far the most damage and each charged burst hitstuns the enemy a little so they stuck in the combo. What's the point of wasting time charging up your sword or magic? Do I even have any other combo options other than the strictly worse 4-attack-melee combat where I just don't charge burst between attacks?

Since bosses don't really hitstun at all other than when they get fully staggered, boss fights seem to favor being defensive. Just dodge counter-attack over and over. You could be really aggressive but the combat becomes such a mess or particle effects, it just makes it harder to properly dodge the boss's attacks.

I feel like there must be another layer to this I am completely missing to the how the regular non-eikonic abilities are supposed to flow together.

Also, does the game actually tell you what changes when you master an ability?

As a final aside, it is a major pet peeve that the game cannot context sensitively register the difference between a button press & hold, so anytime you want to charge your sword, you have to swing it first, often into empty air.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Press triangle to see the ability upgrade and mastery benefits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Megasabin posted:

I'm not sure I really get the combat in this game.

If we're talking just basic non-eikon moves, why do I want to do anything other than the 8 attack melee-charged burst combo? It seems to do by far the most damage and each charged burst hitstuns the enemy a little so they stuck in the combo. What's the point of wasting time charging up your sword or magic? Do I even have any other combo options other than the strictly worse 4-attack-melee combat where I just don't charge burst between attacks?

Since bosses don't really hitstun at all other than when they get fully staggered, boss fights seem to favor being defensive. Just dodge counter-attack over and over. You could be really aggressive but the combat becomes such a mess or particle effects, it just makes it harder to properly dodge the boss's attacks.

I feel like there must be another layer to this I am completely missing to the how the regular non-eikonic abilities are supposed to flow together.

Also, does the game actually tell you what changes when you master an ability?

As a final aside, it is a major pet peeve that the game cannot context sensitively register the difference between a button press & hold, so anytime you want to charge your sword, you have to swing it first, often into empty air.

- if you upgrade charged sword/charged magic it becomes a much much much faster charge and easier to weave in
- no comment because I use the dodge accessory
- press triangle when hovering over a skill and it'll tell you
- you can charge sword while casting magic/charge magic while swinging sword and it'll buffer :eng101: