Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phantombane
Sep 29, 2021

AndyElusive posted:

This rules and I'm glad Heavy Gear is still a thing people paint and play.

Are the models plastic now?

Most of the army starter boxes are all plastic now, but everything else is still pewter (or pewter/resin combos in the case of a few of the larger models and some customization bits). For the Terra Nova factions (minus black talons) that means their standard trooper gear, recon gear, strike gear, and fire support gear are plastic, as well as a few additional models depending on which faction. The Northern starter box for instance has an additional heavier fire support gear and an additional type of recon gear, while the Southern starter has a heavier fire support gear and 1 each of the 3 universal drones.

You can also get singleton sprues of the plastic gears from the DP9 webstore, but not from anywhere else from what I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Finished up a Rogue Trader kill team of weird little guys:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Phantombane posted:

Most of the army starter boxes are all plastic now, but everything else is still pewter (or pewter/resin combos in the case of a few of the larger models and some customization bits). For the Terra Nova factions (minus black talons) that means their standard trooper gear, recon gear, strike gear, and fire support gear are plastic, as well as a few additional models depending on which faction. The Northern starter box for instance has an additional heavier fire support gear and an additional type of recon gear, while the Southern starter has a heavier fire support gear and 1 each of the 3 universal drones.

You can also get singleton sprues of the plastic gears from the DP9 webstore, but not from anywhere else from what I've seen.

Thats super cool. I used to play Heavy Gear eons ago back when they were only available in pewter and after they were put together those mechs were exactly what the box said.

On the topic of Heavy things...

I finished a Deathwatch Heavy Gunner tonight:

He's got a "Xenotech Blaster" which I figure I can run as a Frag Cannon or Infernus Heavy Bolter as needed.

Ez8
Aug 5, 2004

Cease to Hope posted:

How would you make a surface look repainted? Like a captured tank pressed hastily back into service, or a poor paint job coming off, revealing the original scheme. I know some weathering schemes that show primer or bare metal or rust, but they don't end up working for me when trying to reveal a previous coat.

You could try chipping.

The general idea is you paint the model with color 1, spray it with hair spray (there's a specific kind, you'll have to google it) or paint on chipping medium (vallejo makes some), then paint over the chipping medium with color 2. Once your color 2 is dry you go back and selectively remove paint by activating the hair spray or chipping medium with water on your paint brush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AmJKI13vJo

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Chipping was one of the things I had tried and been unsatisfied with, mainly because it really needs a larger surface to have a good impact imo. That's an excellent guide to it, though.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

AndyElusive posted:

Thats super cool. I used to play Heavy Gear eons ago back when they were only available in pewter and after they were put together those mechs were exactly what the box said.

On the topic of Heavy things...

I finished a Deathwatch Heavy Gunner tonight:

He's got a "Xenotech Blaster" which I figure I can run as a Frag Cannon or Infernus Heavy Bolter as needed.

Dude is awesome and also kind of looks like Klaus Kinski.

What do you use for edge highlighting on the armor? It always looks great.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'd like to inject as much weeaboo into the Voidscarred Corsair Kill Team I'm assembling now as possible. I don't suppose anyone knows if there are hands/arms I could get doing ninja jutsu signs to put on Psyker instead of a staff, or Kill Team guy-compatible heads with kasa or topknots?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Captain Magic posted:

Dude is awesome and also kind of looks like Klaus Kinski.

What do you use for edge highlighting on the armor? It always looks great.

I had to google Klaus Kinski and I can't deny the resemblance is uncanny and I love it.

For the edge highlighting I mostly use the side of an Artis Opus #00 and #000 sized brush.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

I had to google Klaus Kinski and I can't deny the resemblance is uncanny and I love it.

For the edge highlighting I mostly use the side of an Artis Opus #00 and #000 sized brush.

Oh sorry, I meant which paints. The blue/white(?) is so crisp there and I am just jealous; my own DW (my first army) are basically dry brushed and that’s it and I’d love to build up their detail over time.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

It's the Darren Latham method of painting black armor just done by me, a hobbyist with considerably less talent than Darren Latham :dance:

Base coat of Abaddon Black
Chunky Dark Reaper
Edge of Thunderhawk Blue
Edge of Russ Grey
Edge of Fenrisian Grey
Dot Highlight of Blue Horror

Hope that helps! You can also find a video if you go to the "Not Darren Latham" Youtube channel.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
The Elucidian Starstriders kill team models are really nice, considering that they're made out of just two or three parts. I just started painting parts of the team, mostly for IG regimental attaché proxies. I'm really happy with how the face turned out on this guy.

I'll do the base once I finish the electro-priest wierdo as well.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you

SuperKlaus posted:

I'd like to inject as much weeaboo into the Voidscarred Corsair Kill Team I'm assembling now as possible. I don't suppose anyone knows if there are hands/arms I could get doing ninja jutsu signs to put on Psyker instead of a staff, or Kill Team guy-compatible heads with kasa or topknots?

The new vampires for Warcry are very Japanese themed. Definitely lots of top knots, and the heads have that gaunt and pointy eared look that would fit in fine with Eldar.
https://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/warcry-askurgan-trueblades-2023

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

It's the Darren Latham method of painting black armor just done by me, a hobbyist with considerably less talent than Darren Latham :dance:

Base coat of Abaddon Black
Chunky Dark Reaper
Edge of Thunderhawk Blue
Edge of Russ Grey
Edge of Fenrisian Grey
Dot Highlight of Blue Horror

Hope that helps! You can also find a video if you go to the "Not Darren Latham" Youtube channel.

Dope, thanks!

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

SuperKlaus posted:

Some of these might work. They look pretty good combined with old Cadians and Catachans. Maybe elf hands need to be a bit more slender?

https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/hand-guestures
https://www.anvilindustry.co.uk/tactical-hand-gestures

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
Can't really say about slenderness without having them physically but that's probably good. Great links you guys. I saw the Kill Team has a back mounted banner, a ninja, a blade master, lots of swords, a helm with a sash tied on it, and several styles of anime hair, all masked, and decided to find every way to take it to 11.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Decorus posted:

The Elucidian Starstriders kill team models are really nice, considering that they're made out of just two or three parts. I just started painting parts of the team, mostly for IG regimental attaché proxies. I'm really happy with how the face turned out on this guy.

I'll do the base once I finish the electro-priest wierdo as well.

So, funny-ish story, I print a lot of Station Forge minis at home and am on their discord. There is this guy on the discord who makes a thing of every week begging the creators to make a proxy of the star striders. I had never heard of them or really cared about them, but when the Boarding Patrol box went on sale for them I picked it up because I had heard so much about them. Really enjoy the mixture of models in the box, it is a lot of fun. Yours look really nice!

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Wraithguard - old pewter ones. Kind of a quick job, since I need them for a tournament on Sunday. Last monday they were unprimed.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
Update. I am starting to see the teeniest bit of progress with this promer removal. Some models are coming off just nice. It's still slow going, but even the morder troll, which hadnt budged at all is starting to give a lit, with the edges and tips of the greebles on the piece coming off. Superclean is working, albiet slowly. Thanks to who duggested the electric toothbrush..I'll be giving it a deeper clean tomorrow.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

that is good news

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

that is good news

Thanks. I have become much more open to metal models. My metal guy spent 30 minutes in nail polish remover and was free and clear. Thankfully mesbg is an old broke-rear end game

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

It is a really good game though imo. Very fun to play, feels cinematic, and is easy to learn but hard to master. gently caress the minis are expensive though.

I honestly prefer metal models. Plastics are nice, but not as durable, and definitely not as easy to strip.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

Virtual Russian posted:

It is a really good game though imo. Very fun to play, feels cinematic, and is easy to learn but hard to master. gently caress the minis are expensive though.

I honestly prefer metal models. Plastics are nice, but not as durable, and definitely not as easy to strip.

I'll be using other mini lines as proxies. I am not paying 2023 prices for 2001 models unless they're in a bundle/value pack. Terrain is great.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Started work on an "Alien Hives" force for Grimdark Future: Firefight. Base and mini are both 3D printed, the figure is a "Hive Abductor" from Den of Imagination.

Overall I like it, I might do a further highlight or two on the bony parts, but otherwise I'm pretty happy with it.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That's a sick lictor

sicktor

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 18 days!

Silhouette posted:

That's a sick lictor

sicktor

Thanks! :) I decided to do some additional highlights on the "bones", as well as fix a couple of spots I'd missed originally.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Extra highlights really made it pop, great job!

khazadum
Dec 1, 2006

I AM NOT A MERRY MAN
with these immortals and triarch stalker, I've hit 1k of necrons painted in... about 1 month and 3 weeks.
about halfway done with the necron pile. Excited to play my first game with them (and first game of 10th) Sunday.
I'm disappointed with the triarch kit construction a bit - realized after building the weapon that there's no way to built all 3 weapon options for magnetizing. You have to choose one, so I got stuck with the first one I built.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

That's all looking great, your full force on the tabletop is really going to standout and be cohesive - really like the basing you've done.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

I really like the purple/orange combo going on. Some bright green will also pop.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Trying to get back into painting, picked up an Eldar combat patrol.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 24, 2023

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Yooooooo that's fuckin hot

Looks like it came straight from a 3rd edition 'eavy metal guide

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

For anyone who’s made use of the colourforge spray can range, are they colour matched to the citadel paint from the pots or from the cans? Given how different those things can be I’m curious, just watched a Duncan Rhodes video where he primed with the Mechanicus standard grey equivalent and it looks an awful lot more like the neutral grey of the pot rather than the blue grey you get in the rattlecan primer.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I think I did ok on these

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Okay?! Those are great! Especially those heraldic banners, those can be finicky as hell. Nice work!

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]
EDIT: Wrong thread.

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 25, 2023

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm just deliberating on how I should paint my Leviathan characters. I'm going back and forth on doing the Librarian in blue, or sticking to my normal bone color scheme for him.

Part of the issue is the paints I have, Leviadon Blue doesn't look quite right, and I think that's the best of the citadel range I have. But I have a handful of Vallejo Game Color from years back, and the blue from that looks like a decent candidate when I tried it. I just want to be clear, it's not contrast? It seems to go on a bit like one but I see there's another dedicated part of the range for that.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I like them! Great work on the blue blades

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

GreenBuckanneer posted:

These are great! I love them.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Need some help. Trying to do some NMM but I can't wrap my head around the shape of this object. Anyone have suggestions on how to make this NMM work?

edit:

got too excited so I just redid it, following a painted farseer I found.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 25, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Verisimilidude posted:

Need some help. Trying to do some NMM but I can't wrap my head around the shape of this object. Anyone have suggestions on how to make this NMM work?

It reads as metal to me, I am not competent enough to suggest improvements myself, but I will say you could check out Hendarion on IG for lots of Eldar NMM, elminiaturista has good stuff but less Eldar specific.