Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

SpeedFreek posted:

If only this was an option past 60"

They sell projectors. Bulbs are damned expensive, but once it's properly aligned, it does some drat good ultra-large displays.

Had a rare occasion to "borrow" a projector for some gaming a long while ago, 8/10 sharp display, minimal noise from the fan, but I have to take a point off because the bulb price alone is enough to discourage usage, even if it's on someone else's dime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe
my parents are mostly the same nice people they always were, but for some reason they are hyper aware of things being "woke" (so called). my nephew went through a phase of watching Thomas the Tank Engine and my mum remarked that it is fine, but it's a bit "woke" now because one of the trains is an east Asian lady. I blame reading the Telegraph

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Blue Moonlight posted:

Hah, I just went and checked the specs on that:

A ringing endorsement of its audio fidelity, I’m sure.

The reviews on Samsung’s own site include negative comments about the sound.

Hmm so what exactly is the difference between a monitor and a TV these days anyhow?

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Hmm so what exactly is the difference between a monitor and a TV these days anyhow?

TVs still have a channel tuner via coaxial input. If monitors are now "smart" then that's the only big difference.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Mistle posted:

They sell projectors. Bulbs are damned expensive, but once it's properly aligned, it does some drat good ultra-large displays.

Had a rare occasion to "borrow" a projector for some gaming a long while ago, 8/10 sharp display, minimal noise from the fan, but I have to take a point off because the bulb price alone is enough to discourage usage, even if it's on someone else's dime.

Having used projectors for many years, they do also struggle a bit in bright rooms, and you do grow tired of having to pull the blackout curtains to watch youtube. The fan noise isn't horrible, but it is another mild annoyance.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

Fools Infinite posted:

My lg TV updated to make the main menu a fullscreen set of ads instead of a bar covering only the bottom and of course it comes on with the TV and doesn't close itself automatically as it used to.

This made me really angry because the UI not covering the video was a big part of why I bought an LG in the first place. Fortunately you can go back to the old bottom bar (for now). Go to Settings > General > Home Settings > Home Screen Style and change it from new to basic.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
A good thing about projects is if you have kids - or you and you're mates like psychedelics- they're very fun just to play around with, and highly enjoyed by both groups (but um not at the same time).

atomicpile
Nov 7, 2009

With all this smart TV Talk, why do people connect them to a network? Can’t spy on you or show ads if it can’t phone home.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

holefoods posted:

if they’re anything like mine it’s because they mainline local news and think there’s murderers hiding everywhere. speaking of which the way local news shows look now makes them all look like some sort of dystopian robocop nightmare

That's a big part of it. They live in one of the most livable cities in the US too.

a strange fowl
Oct 27, 2022

Pac and Cheese posted:

yeah maybe in your country where the ice cream doesn't start floating and following you around with a huge gust of warm air propelling it (convection wasn't a typo) calling you slurs behind your back
that happens to me every single day :smith:

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Vampire Panties posted:

My desktop monitor is wayyyyy loving bigger than the TV we had throughout my childhood. Its bigger than the TV I had through college, and its nearly as big as the TV I had in my 30s. :filez: are obviously easier to play natively on a PC, and SmartTvs are still very loving stupid w/r/t streaming and transcoding video files, so I just gave up :shrug:

Reaching way back to say hello to a post from...15 years ago?...wait, what!?!

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Embedded suggestions and huge pop-up buttons that are links to other videos that obscure 80% of the screen on YouTube that you can’t disable. Also, videos that have linking to websites such as SA disabled so you still get the window embed, but still have to click on the gray screen to watch it YouTube proper.

It’s infuriating when you want to embed a video here that’s 15 seconds long, and 13 of those seconds have all that embedded bullshit in it.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Dog poo doesn't turn completely white when dry anymore

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Dog poo doesn't turn completely white when dry anymore

It's cause society decided to be a LITTLE nicer to dogs and feed them better, so dog food manufacturers* don't just stuff dog food with like 80% bone meal as nearly nutrition-less filler anymore.

*Well, maybe the Wal-Mart Old Roy brand still does...

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Oh I know why. I just miss it.

Things just grow better with bone meal.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

atomicpile posted:

With all this smart TV Talk, why do people connect them to a network? Can’t spy on you or show ads if it can’t phone home.

I've heard talk of ones that will look for open wifi hotspots to connect to, but I'm not sure if they actually exists or were just something someone thought up. But, yeah, wtf, just don't connect it. Plug in an ATV or a Roku or whatever and just use the TV as a dumb display for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

DickParasite posted:

My parents get more bitter every time I see them. They have a great life. I don't get it.

It hurts seeing this happen in real time to the people you love. My grandparents are gone, Fox News replaced them with these weird racist robots that do things based on their "woke" content and they'll shout at you about it like it's the most important thing if you don't agree.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Amazon Prime got shittier. It's less worth it, half the items I have purchased over the years didn't have prime shipping or SAID they did and then shipped without prime from some third party retailer. Have canceled several orders that just didn't clearly denote they were coming from some rando until the confirmation message.

Just recently a service launched called Amazon Renewed where it tries to say refurbished returns count as being new in stock and eligible for prime. I got a video game controller that was marked new but subtly had already been opened, as the defective one I returned started with a plastic wrap around it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 22, 2023

feverish and oversexed
Mar 9, 2007

I LOVE the galley!
I was a prime subscriber since 2004 (it was like, the only way to get stuff overseas) and I cancelled last year finally.

It sucks so bad I couldn't keep rationalizing it

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Honestly, if Amazon would lift a finger to try and stop the endless drop-shipping scam-adjacent crap from existing and actually clean up their storefront, I'd probably use it again. The irony here is that Retail Stores went from 'Window Shopping Units' where I purchased poo poo on Amazon, and now Amazon is my Window Shopping Search Engine where I purchase stuff direct from retailers.

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I can't remember the last time Amazon Prime managed to ship something on time, I get the "unfortunately there is a very rare and unexpected delay in shipping" notice on every single item. There's a big blue-and-white tumor looking Amazon Prime warehouse thing like 10 blocks from my house.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Speaking of Amazon, they have some kind of new shipping boxes which are terrible. The boxes are bad and I suspect they were crafted by evil wizards. The pull tabs only work sometimes and your box will arrive smashed, but smashed in new and interesting ways. Exciting!

I ordered some cat treats last week. The big 30oz tub, which is already super prone to popping open. When I opened the box, it was full of small, biting ants, which swarmed and bit me, all over. B-, Amazon.

raccoon.bmp
Feb 16, 2023

🦝
I really gotta cancel Prime at some point. Their grocery delivery used to have no delivery fee if you spent $35 or more, they bumped that up to a whopping $150 instead. I think it's like $10 extra now if you only need $50 worth of food. At that price you can just subscribe to literally any other delivery device

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Prime was great when it was like $50, guaranteed 2 day shipping, no sales tax and Amazon's prices were still competitive. Now it's $140, no guaranteed shipping and their prices suck poo poo. I got rid of it this year and haven't looked back.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

yeah, ditched prime a while back and haven’t missed it. couple shows they had were ok, but i barely use even one streaming service enough to justify a sub, no way i need multiple

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Speaking of Amazon, they have some kind of new shipping boxes which are terrible. The boxes are bad and I suspect they were crafted by evil wizards. The pull tabs only work sometimes and your box will arrive smashed, but smashed in new and interesting ways. Exciting!

I ordered some cat treats last week. The big 30oz tub, which is already super prone to popping open. When I opened the box, it was full of small, biting ants, which swarmed and bit me, all over. B-, Amazon.

The ants provide extra protein for the cats, RMA not issued. :colbert:

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I got Prime on a deal
Canceled it, then still got charged

This happened twice

2nd time I officially contested it with my Mastercard, LOST which loving I could not believe and so we have never used Amazon since which was a couple years ago and a huge pita

I hope the FTC which is just now suing them for this exact reason actually fines them a massive amount

The federal debt? Let's get a quarter of it from Amazon right now the mfs

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Spinz posted:

I got Prime on a deal
Canceled it, then still got charged

This happened twice

2nd time I officially contested it with my Mastercard, LOST which loving I could not believe and so we have never used Amazon since which was a couple years ago and a huge pita

I hope the FTC which is just now suing them for this exact reason actually fines them a massive amount

The federal debt? Let's get a quarter of it from Amazon right now the mfs

In Microsoft Phone 7/8 era Microsoft managed to do the same to me, bill my old credit card and then closed my account for "credit card fraud". It took me days to get it fixed, and even the bank was baffled on how the hell they managed to get that payment processed.

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

That loving Sned posted:

I hope there’s still backups of Seanbaby’s articles. His Sims 3 one was incredible.

A pihole definitely seems worth setting up if you have phones, tablets or smart TVs that can’t easily have adblockers installed.

Also, is it better to leave your facebook account dormant than delete it? Zuck admitted to congress that anyone who doesn’t have an account is still tracked. I think the only way to avoid it is to have an account with all the privacy settings set to gently caress Off

Slowly turn your profile into nonsense with an install of a browser that you only use for FB. I suspect a lot of meaningless chatgpt stuff and a friend list of all fake accounts will get filtered out one day if they dont actually delete things. Then after like 6 months delete your account.

Have your browser clear forget everything every session and use ablockers & vpn. Use different browsers for different categories of things and i like firefox with containers as my daily driver. People will argue your vpn can spy on you and sites can do browser fingerprinting but really a site like facebook wont bother trying to track that .001% of users that make it such a hassle.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Elder Postsman posted:

I've heard talk of ones that will look for open wifi hotspots to connect to, but I'm not sure if they actually exists or were just something someone thought up. But, yeah, wtf, just don't connect it. Plug in an ATV or a Roku or whatever and just use the TV as a dumb display for it.

Not sure about others but I still have to deal with the clunky OS for switching devices and its just terrible. I remember when I could switch between my different devices in under a second.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Speaking of YouTube, shorts.

gently caress YouTube shorts.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

You Are A Elf posted:

Short videos in a vertical phone-optimized form? Eh whatever. But why must they use a different player interface that's so much worse?

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

the fact that shorts bring up a rounded rectangle to mimic a phone when you play them on apple tv is so loving obnoxious

Denim Dude
Feb 21, 2006

i didn't buy shit. i don't know what the fuck is going on.

You Are A Elf posted:

i use a firefox addon called hide youtube shorts. and in the very rare instances i actually want to watch one i use a taper monkey script called youtube shorts redirect which redirects to the normal video player with controls.

Jawnycat
Jul 9, 2015
The new steam update has made navigating workshops abysmal. Hitting the back button takes you all the way back to your library instead of one step back. Enjoying having to find my drat spot again and re-put in all my search/tag information every time after I click to look at an item closer.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

atomicpile posted:

The TCL 4K TV we used to have in our living room had a light at the bottom center of the bezel that would flash intermittently until the TV was connected to a network. Covering the flashing light didn't work because the infrared sensor for the remote was in the exact same spot. TCLs are the worst designed TVs I've ever used.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Dick Jones posted:

The TCL 4K TV we used to have in our living room had a light at the bottom center of the bezel that would flash intermittently until the TV was connected to a network. Covering the flashing light didn't work because the infrared sensor for the remote was in the exact same spot. TCLs are the worst designed TVs I've ever used.

Sounds like they designed it elegantly... just not for us.

The Killing Jelq
Jun 13, 2012

YouTube subscriptions are also a bit of a mess with the shoehorned-in social posts and quizzes messing up the feed’s chronology. It really feels like deliberate punishment of creators who don’t upload *something* daily.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
God drat. My main bank's online portal updated and it's so much worse. Clearly designed JUST to be more readable on mobile/tablet (despite having a perfectly usable app...and it being absurdly easy to detect if someone is on mobile/tablet and just adjust the page accordingly.)

1) The main page has no "account summary" like it used to. I could see the three or four most recent transactions to my checking account and credit card on the one page without having to go to the main transactions page for each account. So it's another click to see those, and I can never see info from more than one account at once.

2) The main "transactions" page now is like 3x the font size, ONE column that is just the transaction (it used to be like 2/3 columns? Like a left-nav column, the transactions in the middle, and I think the right column was just ads for other bank services.) So now to nav to another area if I'm scrolling down in my transactions list, I have to scroll all the way back up rather than use the persistent left-hand nav (and now since it shows like 1/3 the total amount of transactions because of the increased font and cell size, it's a lot more scrolling.)

Edit: This is what you see when you first go to the transactions page...a whopping TWO are seen before you have to scroll:

And the most you can ever see at once is six...it would be seven if I maximized the window:

Second edit: Oh, and while it's more secure, it now required a two-factor login every time. I used to be able to "remember" a given browser and for at least a week or so I wouldn't have to keep doing the 2FA to login.

DrBouvenstein fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jun 28, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serious_Cyclone
Oct 25, 2017

I appreciate your patience, this is a tricky maneuver
I made the mistake of updating the Google Home app on my phone and they managed to replace 99% of the screen space with one of those Google clipart drawings of a person, and hide all of the functions behind a tiny strip of inscrutable hieroglyph buttons along the bottom edge.

GitHub revamped its desktop interface and decided to also hide half of the stuff I need behind drop- or slide-out menus that used to just be there. The search function now also sucks and tries to anticipate what I'm going to search for and in which repository, with a success rate of less than 1%.