Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Wittgen posted:

Beyond the Spiderverse is just Miles and Miles killing all the spidermans, John Wick style.

I'd be down for a stealth The One reboot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Multiverse theory dictates that there are, and always have been, an infinite number of trans Gwen Stacys existing just beyond our perception.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://twitter.com/WeeliyumF/status/1671766455833042944
https://twitter.com/hiddenhush/status/1671908653266337795

Assepoester fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jun 23, 2023

Captain Jesus
Feb 26, 2009

What's wrong with you? You don't even have your beer goggles on!!

Nerdietalk posted:

This is bringing up old, perma-banned SA weirdos, but I remember when the first movie came out, BravestOfLamps went on some whole conspiracy board ramble about Spider Gods controlling the narrative of the universe and how none of the Peters can escape fate, Miles is dooming himself to destiny, yadda yadda yadda, all for his usual gimmick of insisting Popular Thing Bad Actually.

And I've just been getting a sick amount of pleasure for weeks that 1. Across the Spider-Verse so heavily involves fighting against narrative fate and 2. he's so banned he can't even bounce around claiming he's right.

I've always said giving BravestOfLamps a perma was not right. We should have listened to him more.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Nah.

edit: the most positive thing I can say is that BOTL did not make the most racist post in this thread, that would go to whoever posted Miles is nothing special because black people already had Will Smith in I Robot.

mycot fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jun 23, 2023

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Jesus posted:

I've always said giving BravestOfLamps a perma was not right. We should have listened to him more.

If BotL could deal with pushback without calling people pedophiles he'd still be here.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I'm sure this got discussed years ago but holy poo poo we dodged a cannonball with this

https://twitter.com/mukumuks/status/1669394430200262656

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Stop talking about BotL

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

https://twitter.com/alliterandy/status/1672063881446035456?s=46&t=LM7P0S9UNmv9pvDrrqshww

Lol what a great Easter egg

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

IIRC they did something similar with what the security guard says when Spidey Bells plays. I can remember at least 3 different lines.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So are the two different versions caused by the re-release of the film with the fixed audio balance? Like when they reissued the fixed audio version it happened to have altered footage as well?

Been thinking about why Hobie would even bother to join an organization dedicated to maintaining order and stability and the only way I can square it is if he joined up to sabotage the spider society from the inside after seeing how Miguel's plan was the antithesis of Hobie's entire being.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

So are the two different versions caused by the re-release of the film with the fixed audio balance? Like when they reissued the fixed audio version it happened to have altered footage as well?

Been thinking about why Hobie would even bother to join an organization dedicated to maintaining order and stability and the only way I can square it is if he joined up to sabotage the spider society from the inside after seeing how Miguel's plan was the antithesis of Hobie's entire being.

He joined to save lives and noped out once it reached the point that he wasn't going to do that anymore there.

He is still, at heart, a good dude who wants to help others and that included other spiderfolk

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
He is there to help people and doesn't give a gently caress about maintaining cannon events at the cost of peoples lives.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Arc Hammer posted:

It's all very anecdotal, "my uncle said" stuff on twitter still, but people are saying they've gotten different variations even in the same sound mix. So this was planned from the beginning.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

Arc Hammer posted:

If you pay attention during the scene where he’s talking to Miles right before they meet Miguel, he’s pulling various electronics off the walls and pocketing them or snapping them into each other. This is the moment where he’s building the portal-watch he later gives to Gwen. He even says to Miles something like “why join for a watch? Build your own.”

It’s very likely he joined just for access to the watch’s tech and quit immediately after Miles ran off because he had everything he needed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Hunt11 posted:

He is there to help people and doesn't give a gently caress about maintaining cannon events at the cost of peoples lives.

He probably made the call to quit when the canon poo poo showed up (for him) but stayed long enough to keep helping pals and reverse engineer the tech.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

With regards to Hobie and canon events doesn't it mean Hobie was friends with a cop at some point or did I misunderstand how that canon event is supposed to play out?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Electric Phantasm posted:

With regards to Hobie and canon events doesn't it mean Hobie was friends with a cop at some point or did I misunderstand how that canon event is supposed to play out?

It was the captain of his favorite footie club

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
What the gently caress is wrong with people going "actually I wish the racist contrarian was here and it was cool they were right" gently caress off with that poo poo ffs. :rant:

Electric Phantasm posted:

It wouldnt be crazy to assume that something like that happening would push him to go full on punk gently caress the system. Especially if it was one of those Jim Gordon style things where the cop would have been one of the only signs that the system didnt need to be broken.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

https://twitter.com/__chrislee/status/1672230751394476034?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This feels unsurprising but also a huge bummer. The mismanagement aspect is interesting, it looks like there was a period of time when very little work was being done because Phil Lord kept futzing with the layouts which meant that when everything was ready it all came at once. A frustrating environment to work in.

Also no way Beyond is out in March, at this point any time next year will seem like a miracle if this quote is accurate

quote:

They’ve announced that Beyond the Spider-Verse will be released in March of next year. I’ve seen people say, “Oh, they probably worked on it at the same time.” There’s no way that movie’s coming out then. There’s been progress on the pre-production side of things. But as far as the production side goes, the only progress that’s been made on the third one is any exploration or tests that were done before the movie was split into two parts. Everyone’s been fully focused on Across the Spider-Verse and barely crossing the finish line. And now it’s like, Oh, yeah, now we have to do the other one.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008

i would not be surprised if at one point they just demoscened it where there could be a dozen or so small points of inflection to produce over a million possible versions of the movie, generated on the fly as the screening starts. nothing altering anything significant but just small differences for the nerds out there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1672235561023594499

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

https://twitter.com/thefuzzyaya/status/1665429722602565632?s=20

Wittgen posted:

Beyond the Spiderverse is just Miles and Miles killing all the spidermans, John Wick style.

Me and the bf have been talking about it and the conflict has to be that Miguel is wrong. Altho having a solid utilitarian motive for what they do they are doing harm for a Greater Good based on wrong assumptions.

Also that Miguel was a hair close to telling Miles he wasn't supposed to be Spierman cause he's black.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 23, 2023

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MariusLecter posted:

Also that Miguel was a hair close to telling Miles he wasn't supposed to be Spierman cause he's black.

Lol no, that was definitely not the case. Not when you’ve had top agent Hobie around for some time.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

The_Doctor posted:

Lol no, that was definitely not the case. Not when you’ve had top agent Hobie around for some time.

Yea you had spiderwoman and Hobie but as a meta commentary on all the irl hate on Miles in the comics it hit home.

MariusLecter fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 23, 2023

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah it's less that the character is literally racist and more that the whole "It's Not Canon for Spider-man to be happy or have living parents or [etc.]" spiel feels very familiar.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
"Spiderman is suffering" and Miles whole thing is "you're crazy if you think that is the ONLY way to be Spiderman"

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
so I saw this yesterday and I picked up on something that my friend didn't quite pick up on

so we've had 4 worlds onscreen that have, by Miguel's reckoning, world ending abberations: miles world, Miguel's doppelgangers world, Pavtirs world, and miles tails prowlers world

Miles world is doing fine, but I guess you could argue that it created spot who might destroy it?

Pavtirs world has a big ol dimension hole in it... but that was clearly caused by the spot, not some multiversal unravelling

doppelganger world did go away. rip to them, thoughts and prayers

Tails' world is doing fine. new York is a poo poo hole obviously but there's a new york still at least.

so like, Miguel is clearly, factually, probably wrong right? and we'll probably find out that he was directly responsible for it somehow, but either way I'm assuming no one disagrees with that part. but the reason Miguel is stuck on the canon stuff is because that explains why it happened and makes it something outside of his control.

the two options for Miguel as to why his family 2 died are:
Miguel's presence caused it, he should never have been there (he can't really afford to think this, especially since that would make spider society a Bad Idea)
there wasn't a Spider-man, because that world's Miguel was killed without ever getting powers. and when Miguel learned that miles was turned into a Spider-man with another dimensions spider... I'm assuming he hates miles because he thinks he "stole" other Miguel's spider and it'll be fun to see him find out about universe 42

also it's fun that gwen is a trans character I'm glad they made that into the movie

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Good thing it's doing well enough to get an extended run, you can go back and realize half the poo poo you said was wrong.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

https://twitter.com/__chrislee/status/1672230751394476034?s=46&t=5gxKQFzDrDvx-7j58Ypw3g

This feels unsurprising but also a huge bummer. The mismanagement aspect is interesting, it looks like there was a period of time when very little work was being done because Phil Lord kept futzing with the layouts which meant that when everything was ready it all came at once. A frustrating environment to work in.

Also no way Beyond is out in March, at this point any time next year will seem like a miracle if this quote is accurate
I absolutely loving knew there had to be some behind the scenes shenanigans. Animated movies these days are notoriously an inhumane slugfest for the animators. There’s no way this wasn’t made on the back of some very unhappy, underpaid talented artists.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

egg tats posted:

also it's fun that gwen is a trans character I'm glad they made that into the movie

No, this theory sucks. Gwen is played by a cis actress and the only reason to be willing to forgo the justice ideal of “trans characters should not be played by cis actors” is fandom brain.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Pirate Jet posted:

No, this theory sucks. Gwen is played by a cis actress and the only reason to be willing to forgo the justice ideal of “trans characters should not be played by cis actors” is fandom brain.

actually I think you'll find that Gwen Stacy's arc in this movie was 100% a trans narrative even if every single person involved in making the movie comes out to assure the world that she's as cis as the day is long.

like it's about a young child hiding their true identity from their parent as that parent constantly talks about how much they hate the person their child secretly is. when her identity is forcibly exposed, her parent reacts with immediate hate and a threat of violence, so she flees home.

the fact that her room had a trans pride flag or that her world was largely filled with pastel pinks and blues while she was dressed in white is tangential to the fact that this is pretty nakedly the story of a trans kid having a messy coming out and eventual reconciliation.

(as to "trans characters should be played by cis actors", I fully agree, but Gwen wasn't written to be trans in the first movie. the decision to lean so hard on those themes are a direct result of trans people identifying with what was meant to be a straight cis girl and the folk making the movie picking up on it.)

(also the justice ideal is that cis characters should be played by trans actors so keep that in mind)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem
Gwen being trans feels like a If You Know You Know thing, like there's just enough ambiguity for people to say it's not decisively canon (heheh) but obvious enough to be picked up by its intended audience.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
If a trans person relates to the themes presented by Gwen and her character arc in this movie, that's great. That is a completely different statement from "Gwen is a trans character."

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

People who get angry about this are weird, what does it matter to you if people say it

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don’t agree with it but it doesn’t really affect me so have at it imo. People on cined have had the worst most idiot brained readings that offer zero value to anyone other than being a weird so this is fine. This gives something to someone

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

DC Murderverse posted:

People who get angry about this are weird, what does it matter to you if people say it

It would be worse representation to have Gwen Stacy to turn out to be an actual trans woman due to being played by a cis actress. I don't understand how standing in objection to that is anger.

People say The Matrix is a "trans movie" due to its themes, and it even has several strong indicators to it such as Smith referring to Neo by a past name, but to go so far as to call Neo a "trans character" would be inaccurate. (Consider that Lana Wachowski said herself she didn't know she was a trans woman when making The Matrix, but upon a rewatch decades later thought "geez, how did I not know?") It's great if trans people find the themes of Gwen's character arc relatable, but going so far as to insist the character herself is trans is very different from saying there are trans themes, and once that boundary is crossed we need to factor in the performance that brings the character to life.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Yeah there's a big difference between subtext and themes and you cannot and should not take everything literally with the worst internet critic brain.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Being cis it's not my place to say that trans people are wrong if they recognize Gwen as representing transgender people but I'm slightly confused about the idea that Gwen is supposed to symbolize being trans based on hiding her identity and then coming out to her father because
1) Couldn't you then say the exact same thing about Miles since he's presumably going to do have done the same thing after the next movie?
2) It also seems kind of weak sauce to have this sort of metaphorical representation in 2023 and if the people who made the movie had actually said that she was literally cis in the universe of the movie but was supposed to stand for trans people wouldn't everyone be justifiably furious at them?

Gwen being literally trans seems like it would work less well thematically with the fight/reconciliation with her father because I guess she would have to be AMAB and already out to her father (or AFAB and not out as trans after this movie?) but wouldn't that actually be much better in terms of being a trans character?

mystes fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
I consider "Gwen Stacy is trans" to be a true statement the same way I consider "Professor X is Black" or "The Mandalorian is a Hasidic Jew" to be accurate. It is absolutely the metaphor and it's a bit obtuse to pretend otherwise, but you also don't want to get too literal with it.

And if they do choose to get literal with it later on, hey, neat. An explicitly trans or non-binary Gwen wouldn't bother me any more than casting Common as Xavier (Yasiin Bey could be Magneto!).*

I don't THINK I'm one of weird dudes reacting violently to the idea because they decided "I want Gwen Stacy to be my girlfriend" back in 2018/2012/1965 and see it as somehow a betrayal, but I could be wrong.

*Edit: I think that also makes Erykah Badu the Queen of Shi'ar. I want this now.

Nameless Pete fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Jun 24, 2023