Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

Mikojan
May 12, 2010

Kaddish posted:

Above was mentioned avoiding taking additive damage bonuses on the paragon tree - what's an example additive damage bonus? Are those '% damage to' since its the same bucket? What about straight '5% damage'?

I'm guessing all damage on the paragon tree is additive apart from the [x] unique nodes and the damage to vulnerable dmg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Those of you on Steam Decks, did you install the higher texture pack? I've seen people say that even if you don't plan to use it, it gives a performance boost just having it installed. Obviously space is at a premium on the deck and would rather not use up that space if I can help it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Mikojan posted:

I'm guessing all damage on the paragon tree is additive apart from the [x] unique nodes and the damage to vulnerable dmg
And crit damage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Those of you on Steam Decks, did you install the higher texture pack? I've seen people say that even if you don't plan to use it, it gives a performance boost just having it installed. Obviously space is at a premium on the deck and would rather not use up that space if I can help it.

I don’t and it runs great without it.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

I encountered a game-breaking bug last night. While on the Act V quest "Wrack and Ruin," I interacted with the Engraved Stone Door while mounted. Doing so locked me into being mounted, and I couldn't do anything - interact with other objects, change skills, open the map, everything was blank or non-interactive. I closed the game and re-opened it, and it is stuck on the loading screen post-character select. I've tried opening it 3 or 4 times now with no success. Any thoughts? I posted it in the bug report forums, but it seems like others have encountered it too with no responses.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

That Italian Guy posted:

And crit damage.

Ok, makes sense. Same buckets, same concept. Thanks.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

maybe a dumb question but when items say that something like "Poison damage +XYZ" does it just mean it increases the amount of poison damage from skills that already do it, or that it actively can grant Poison damage to physical attacks/skills? Technically it meant the latter in Diablo 2 but not sure if it's the same in D4. I have some great poison passives for Druid + a weapon that has Poison damage modifiers on it, was curious if that meant they synergized naturally for any attacks I'm doing.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
It boosts existing damage so you'll need wolf/vine creeper skills that have poison naturally.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

No, the higher res texture pack
  • is for 4k resolutions, smaller res screens are literally incapable of displaying all the pixels of these textures
  • will have no positive effect on performance and very negative if enabled
  • will take up significantly more space for no benefit

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Doomykins posted:

It boosts existing damage so you'll need wolf/vine creeper skills that have poison naturally.

ah ok cool, had wondered if the poison proccing from attacks was due to a weapon I had or more likely from an innate skill I took that gave me Poison via Crits. Thanks!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Some aspects say stuff like 100% on weapon, 50% on amulet, what does this refer to?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Some aspects say stuff like 100% on weapon, 50% on amulet, what does this refer to?

Aspects can get a bonus to their numbers depending on the slot. That means they get +100% on weapons or +50% on an amulet.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Vic posted:

No, the higher res texture pack
  • is for 4k resolutions, smaller res screens are literally incapable of displaying all the pixels of these textures
  • will have no positive effect on performance and very negative if enabled
  • will take up significantly more space for no benefit

It definitely has a HUGE positive effect on some setups, due to some kind of bug surrounding texture streaming. I can tell you installing it was night and day on release despite running high textures

Without ultra textures installed: seconds-long hitches when entering menus, travelling in the world, etc
With: near-perfect performance

I imagine you don't need it with the steam deck because its a fixed setup so it would be a known widespread issue if you did

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Yeah it runs great so far without the texture pack installed. Still tweaking the graphics a bit, but I've got most stuff on high and have a pretty solid 60fps average.

Just need to get used to the idea of playing Diablo on a controller

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just need to get used to the idea of playing Diablo on a controller

It’s actually the correct way to play Diablo.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
NIghtmare dungeons are weird. I was putting them off because I thought each one would be like doing the capstone dungeon. The mobs are weaker than the helltide stuff. Holy hell all the good poo poo drops in there, tho. I believe after my first or second one I was able to craft all the higher tiers, and I tried a level 8 and it was still pretty easy for my level 54 barb which is a sketchy rear end WW build. But still fun as poo poo to play.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Ripped a helltide before work and got 3 175 chests and two upgrades. Life is good my gamers

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

If you guys haven't hunted the rare unique mobs, they drop some cool transmogs. I've got daggers that drip poison and maces that are on fire now.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d4/guides/all-rare-monster-locations-and-item-drops-in-diablo-4/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Hashy posted:

It definitely has a HUGE positive effect on some setups, due to some kind of bug surrounding texture streaming. I can tell you installing it was night and day on release despite running high textures

Without ultra textures installed: seconds-long hitches when entering menus, travelling in the world, etc

I imagine you don't need it with the steam deck because its a fixed setup so it would be a known widespread issue if you did

There is something weird going on with D4's VRAM usage and texture stuff so the common wisdom stuff people keep repeating doesn't seem to apply. My system should be more than capable of handling the ultra textures but it can't, and people like you get this weird other effect.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Shredder posted:

If you guys haven't hunted the rare unique mobs, they drop some cool transmogs. I've got daggers that drip poison and maces that are on fire now.

https://www.icy-veins.com/d4/guides/all-rare-monster-locations-and-item-drops-in-diablo-4/

RIP beta version of Darkblade

you will be missed.

for some reason blizzard removed the glowy effect for launch.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Shredder posted:

As usual, fashion is the true endgame

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Mr. Pickles posted:

What is the deal with the fortify mechanic like wtf. Its just dumb...who makes something like that.

Its a bad mechanic that will hopefully get reworked. It basically does nothing defensively unless your character is already very tanky. If you are a squishy build looking for some extra toughness, fortify is a huge trap imo.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Blizzard, why are vendors spread so far apart, why?!1

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I think fortify has a place in overpower builds but such builds are sparse because of how awkward that is to build around.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Vic posted:

Blizzard, why are vendors spread so far apart, why?!1

imo that stupid tree should have enough stature to hire an enchanter and a jeweler given all the errands i've run for it

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
This loving horse gets me so unreasonably upset.

Like if I was a dev and this loving horse got stuck on literally everything, I would move that poo poo to the top of the list of things to fix. I don't care if minions don't do any damage, this horse is loving useless when half the game is riding it around. gently caress.

Having to get on and off to go up and down ladders everywhere is loving dumb as poo poo, too. My spirit horse should be able to run up goddamn walls while we're at it.

If they ever have a call in number for a live fireside chat, I'll be the crazy guy screaming at them about the world ending over a loving horse. It's me, the CSPAN Diablo 4 caller.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
After beating the game and some of the endgame is there anything to do until season 1 starts? I don’t want to burn myself out leveling if it doesn’t really matter until season 1.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Endgame is all leveling. All new mechanics are introduced in wt3. At 100 you can fight a bonus boss. Don't burn out. Save it for s1 which is what I am doing.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
after having a sook i finally got a t3 sigil to drop and by then i had an insane power spike from some random synergistic uniques so now I'm trying to figure how high above my level I can go without getting melted but there's not a huge range of defensive stuff on the first necro paragon board so I'm mostly just jamming barrier aspects onto spare equipment. Game owns. I think if I get to 60 so I can craft the last two tiers of gems I might be good to just start running some other classes for now but I also said that about hitting 50 so who knows

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I’ve never once had an issue with the horse but you hear people complaining (or maybe it’s just the same guy and he’s really mad) about the “pebble” every few pages. Is it just a lot better on controller or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

There have been many complaints about the horse by many people. My particular persistent issue is that it stutters in place for several seconds every time I summon it and try to move. Could just be mental illness/mad though.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Lord Packinham posted:

After beating the game and some of the endgame is there anything to do until season 1 starts? I don’t want to burn myself out leveling if it doesn’t really matter until season 1.
Get your paragon points high enough to unlock another board and scan those all over and see if anything is interesting to you.

Otherwise it’s just going for better and better gear.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Even on controller the horse sucks. I get caught on level geometry all the goddamn time and it sucks, to say nothing about the rubberbanding.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

American McGay posted:

Is it just a lot better on controller or something?

Everything is

Shredder
Sep 14, 2000

Lord Packinham posted:

- Grab all the statues for a huge stat bonus on all your characters (64 to everything I think)
- Finish up renown for +20 paragon points for all your characters
- Roll alts and gently caress around with builds to figure out what you want to play when the season starts

I gave up grinding around level 64 on my necro. Have made one of each class and have been trying stuff out. Ended up making a berserk/thorns/fortify non-meta build with frenzy and double swing that is fun as poo poo.

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
Getting gear upgrades post 780 item power or so is horrible. 99.9% of all items are poo poo but you gotta keep checking every legendary and yellow just in case they rolled either a higher item power or higher modifiers.

When you do find a good item you might still have to swap one of the modifiers which means that you need a poo poo ton of gold so for the most part i find an item that might be useful (1 in 1000 or so) then i farm gold until the enchanting cost goes up to the tens of millions, scrap it and try again.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Finding max roll BiS gear is a chore in any arpg I've ever played. Don't know about POE, bounced of that one pretty quick. I don't see that D4 is particularly egregious there.

Last Epoch was pretty good/flexible though :)

Zeg
Mar 31, 2013

Am not good at video games.

Hashy posted:

This is more related to stability and performance in general than the stream deck specifically, but I also had to turn hardware acceleration off in the bnet launcher in addition to the above (AMD gpu if it matters to anyone). Suddenly my game went from 80 and dropping in town with hangs and freezes for several seconds to smooth.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kaddish posted:

Finding max roll BiS gear is a chore in any arpg I've ever played. Don't know about POE

What if I told you that getting a good crafting roll in PoE can sometimes require thousands of inventory clicks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Controlling the horse with a mouse is very annoying because if you hover over certain UI elements while holding the force move button it just fully stops. This is really only an issue when running down but man it's annoying.

Philthy posted:

NIghtmare dungeons are weird. I was putting them off because I thought each one would be like doing the capstone dungeon. The mobs are weaker than the helltide stuff. Holy hell all the good poo poo drops in there, tho. I believe after my first or second one I was able to craft all the higher tiers, and I tried a level 8 and it was still pretty easy for my level 54 barb which is a sketchy rear end WW build. But still fun as poo poo to play.

NM dungeons don't scale like everything else in the game so if you're doing early nm dungeons it's going to be pretty easy if you're decently leveled and geared. They do get very difficult and they start to pile on annoying modifiers the higher up you go though.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 23, 2023