Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Once in a Blue Moon Patch drops on tuesday, Season 13 starts when the servers are back up.

Claim whatever you have left on the current scoreboard before the servers go down!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Hello thread,
I finally installed my Humble Choice copy of 76 and would like to push through its story content, single player only.
Read that you can only respec SPECIAL at max level, so I'd love a newbie build suggestion.
My eyes are a bit messed up and I'm old/slow, so preferably shotgun or automatic ranged weapon with easy to find or produce ammo.
Cheers :shobon:

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

sauer kraut posted:

Hello thread,
I finally installed my Humble Choice copy of 76 and would like to push through its story content, single player only.
Read that you can only respec SPECIAL at max level, so I'd love a newbie build suggestion.
My eyes are a bit messed up and I'm old/slow, so preferably shotgun or automatic ranged weapon with easy to find or produce ammo.

Melee is surprisingly fun, with the positive side effect of being able to sell all your ammo for caps. It can become very powerful in the end-game with the right perks and build.

I started playing with Pistols when I was brand new, and then moved over to Rifleman - kind of a sneak-sniper build. These both have low ammo requirements, have decent solo-damage on questing/exploration enemies, and are very low-needs in terms of perk cards. Pistols uses mostly Agility perks, and Rifleman uses mostly Perception perks.

Shotguns are fantastic - you have about a week to grab "The Cold Shoulder" from the season event - it unlocks very early and is the best shotgun in the game, even without perk cards. I only stopped running Shotguns when I found I needed a longer range weapon.

Once ammo stopped being a problem (and I was able to level up the Legendary Ammo Factory perk) I made the switch to full-auto rifles, using Commando perks. These also primarily use Perception perk cards, so you can switch back and forth between Rifleman/Commando when needed.

I haven't gotten around to Heavy weapons or explosives builds yet.

-

Honestly, any weapons you use will allow you to kill bad guys and have fun. Hitting level 50 is pretty quick - don't look at it as "oh no I screwed up my build and should make a new character" just stick with it, hit 50 25 and start respeccing for free whenever you get the urge.

Otacon fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Jun 15, 2023

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007
I levelled from 1-50 with just melee and a hunting rifle and had no problem solo killing anything, but I wouldn't limit yourself to just solo stuff. Some of the events are a ton of fun, the enemies scale so youre never dead weight, and you can go right back to solo questing anytime. I ended up with a bunch of neat weapons and tons of ammo to quest around with.

Also, 50 isn't even close to being "max" level. You'll hit 50 way before you finish the main quests. Hell, 300 is when you get your last legendary perk slot I believe. It felt like 1-50 was the tutorial still, and the game opened up at 50. Maybe I'm just slow though. Either way it's not a hard game, you can't screw up your character and there's no weapon type that is unfun.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Mortimer Knag posted:

there's no weapon type that is unfun.

I agree with everything but agree with this the most. Your natural inclination when playing MMOs (at least mine) is to make "number go up" whether that be money, damage, skill points, or whatever.

At least for damage, you can make "number" be INSANELY HIGH, like, entire levels off the charts, but... it's absolutely pointless. We're talking the difference between killing something in 1 shot or 3 shots. We're talking helping kill a boss in 3 minutes instead of 4 minutes.

There's nearly zero situations where "Boy, I would have lived if only I did _____________" is ever uttered. There's no sense in fully minmaxing the absolute most damaging build possible, because even the biggest baddest bosses can be killed super quickly in a large group.

Don't chase that "Number" dragon. You don't NEED to do 10,000 damage-per-second (but you can) and you don't need to one-tap every single enemy in the game (though, you can)

If you play some of the Group Events, you'll get some fun weapons to drop. If you get a new weapon you're 100% not specced into, but you think it looks fun? USE IT!

My buddy who got me into FO76 literally runs around with a squirt gun, squirting soda-pop onto bad guys until they explode.

Every weapon is viable.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I have three characters up in the 200+ range (wanted to do the other side of the raider vs. settler content) and yeah I had a great time with all forms of combat, stealth melee and commando and in-your-face 2h melee and even sniping with a bow. VATS + Gun-Fu goes a very long way to counter being old and terrible at video games.
e: commando felt the strongest, Minigun+Shredder also felt the strongest, explosives with 2-shot auto GL also felt the strongest

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sensenmann posted:

Once in a Blue Moon Patch drops on tuesday, Season 13 starts when the servers are back up.

Claim whatever you have left on the current scoreboard before the servers go down!

yeh. 'i watched the atlanti city video and im stiull whaaaat?

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

sauer kraut posted:

Hello thread,

You can respec SPECIAL at any train station once you hit level 25, but you're stuck with the cards you've picked/pulled from card packs so far.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

So... what abot Atlanttinen Kaupunki?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Psychedelicatessen posted:

You can respec SPECIAL at any train station once you hit level 25, but you're stuck with the cards you've picked/pulled from card packs so far.

yeah this was really obnoxious to me as a new player, it's presented to you right at 25 but you can't leverage it until a bit later. Thankfully "a bit later" is like a couple of days, and then you can literally redo everything you might regret. The system mechanics are designed for this kind of ongoing fine tuning of your perk setup, grinding up junk perk cards is how you pay for legendary perks post 50. Even the most garbage build with shitass equipment can still show up for the big shooting gallery events and make tons of xp and loot. Just keep leveling you'll be OK.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
Patch notes:

https://fallout.bethesda.net/en/article/24FfRdpYzz2NUSkhItkcxw/fallout-76-once-in-a-blue-moon-update-notes-june-20-2023

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
Ehh... not sure I'm gonna bother with this season. I really like the art deco wallpaper, but that alone is not enough.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

I may just uninstall the game at this point. The only thing interesting thing, for me personally, this season is the camo stealth suit and no way in hell am I grinding to level 70+ for it.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
Speaking of stealth suit; do you get that by following the questline of the woman who owns that bar, or the first responders?
Game is slightly better than I expected, but that might in part be to every lvl 500 player standing in front of their lavish dwellings dropping a boatload of stimpacks and radaway :shobon:
Ofc I steal the water from their purifiers and pee in their hot tubs as a thank you.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
You get the CSS plans once you've completed Invisible Ties. It's a Settlers quest. New Arrivals should be the first quest in that chain.

Mortimer Knag
Nov 23, 2007

sauer kraut posted:

Speaking of stealth suit; do you get that by following the questline of the woman who owns that bar, or the first responders?
Game is slightly better than I expected, but that might in part be to every lvl 500 player standing in front of their lavish dwellings dropping a boatload of stimpacks and radaway :shobon:
Ofc I steal the water from their purifiers and pee in their hot tubs as a thank you.

Check those player's vending machines too for super cheap stuff, I put everything useful that's not rare for 1 cap in mine.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm not level 500 but I just snip the last digit off any plans I sell. (So if the "value" of something is 3000, I sell it for 300, and if it's 450, I sell it for 45.) I guess I could do it for less but I'm always out of money. In the game, too.

e: there's probably stuff I've put for sale when I was just starting out that's too expensive. Maybe I'll get around to pricing it down, maybe I won't :shrug:

NON-PRO TIP: Something I only found out by accident: if you've found a treasure spot with a "map", you can just stand still and keep digging the same mound until you've run out of corresponding maps. For some reason I thought you'd have to wait until it re-spawned or something. Maybe I'm just dumb.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jun 21, 2023

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

I really enjoyed Fallout 76 but I think at this point the only thing that brings me back is a persistent hardcore mode server.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I installed fo4 for the first time and decided to give survival a shot, along with a handful of mods. I've played all the other games (not all the other fallout games, just ... all the other games) so I'm not worried about it being to difficult. However after reading the wiki about what survival entails, it sounds more tedious than difficult, especially the thirst/hunger/sleep mechanics. Balancing the right amount of that sort of thing is tough, and requiring 9 drinks a day may be too far to one end. We'll see.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Just remember to role-play a survivor, not a rambo. So choose perks and gear that allow you to not die.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

There is a mod called Survival Options that lets you fine tune all of that bullshit if you find some of it to be unfun. Personally I never found the Survival difficulty options a big deal at all, the most annoying thing was diseases and they're so rudimentary you really just don't even notice unless it's Infection (take damage over time until it goes away/is cured) and that was easily offset by any sort of regeneration. All the other diseases are just a silent stat debuff. Food and water aren't really a big deal because practically everything drops meat and you can just drink pond water (or even seawater) if you're desperate because again, the disease system is super rudimentary and that's the only downside to it.

I strongly recommend using the Survival Options mod to enable saving on demand because the whole gimmick of requiring a bed to save is dumb as poo poo; the Adrenaline mechanic (get damage bonus per kill until you sleep and it resets) is also dumb as poo poo so turn that off too; plus you are punished for using a bed to save because every bed has a fairly high chance of giving you a random disease every time you sleep. The game is way too crash prone and with too many really serious bugs to tolerate not being able to save on demand.
e: you might think that Endurance would have some interaction with diseases (resisting them, recovering from them, perks that interact with them) but no, the whole disease system is entirely tacked on, really a missed opportunity tbh

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Oh yeah as soon as I got out of the vault and my quick save button wasn't working I looked up why. Instantly googled where to find a bed, then immediately installed a save mod. Some of us have kids, we can't be dealing with that nonsense.

While I would loathe it, only being able to save at beds isn't inherently awful. But you can't have that, and no fast travel, and fatigue. They're lumping too much on at that point. To say nothing of how it will feel as a new player who doesn't know where to find beds settlements and water.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I played on a PS4 so I didn't really need saving.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

The Wonder Weapon posted:

Oh yeah as soon as I got out of the vault and my quick save button wasn't working I looked up why. Instantly googled where to find a bed, then immediately installed a save mod. Some of us have kids, we can't be dealing with that nonsense.

While I would loathe it, only being able to save at beds isn't inherently awful. But you can't have that, and no fast travel, and fatigue. They're lumping too much on at that point. To say nothing of how it will feel as a new player who doesn't know where to find beds settlements and water.

To give FO4 survival mode some credit, it still saves on exit. It's just backup saves you can't make (the save on exit gets deleted as soon as you load it).

But yeah, I consider a save mod pretty essential.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah the thing is, a pretty commonly reported problem is that exit save can become corrupted and your entire run is just wasted, so seriously use a save-on-demand mod and consider stashing backup saves from time to time.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

I've got a quick save and three looping auto saves. I'm already playing with way less save scumming than I usually do, such as not reloading if I hit a disease. It's a good balance.There's also not a lot of room to reload if you screw up in combat, because you just end up dead lol

I found a mine randomly after walking around for 20 or 30 minutes and died immediately. The idea of losing all that time every single time you find a hidden mine or turn a corner into a deathclaw sounds brutal. There's no fun in totally wasting your time.

Beyond that, what are preferred perks for survival? I have no real desire to build settlements but will if it's crucial. I would also like to use a companion, so was avoiding lone wanderer. Probably some form of shooty boi, although I haven't decided what flavor.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Life Giver sounds good but it is actually a very bad deal in FO4 because you gain hitpoints per level and you level forever, and if you later increase Endurance it recalculates your hitpoint total as if you had had that Endurance value since level 1. As is frequently discussed, armor perks are doodoo as well, especially in FO4 because this is magnified by your eventual gigantic hitpoint total. This is kind of a problem across the board in FO4 tbh.
- Strength and perks that increase your carry weight are very useful
- Endurance, the raw stat, is very good; Aquaboy/Grrl is super useful forever; innate rad resistance is bad like most armor perks, it is blown away by late game equipment bonuses; Adamantium Skeleton is very good
- Luck perks are generally very useful across the board although don't bother with the "find more X" perks, you will have everything coming out of your ears eventually
- Medic 4 is essentially a Win Button

Most of the other perk/stat stuff is fairly closely tied to weapon choice, although Charisma 6/Local Leader 2 is where all the important settlement poo poo is gated. Scrapper 3 is extremely useful as well, for when you get into weapon and armor modding (and of course those crafting category perks as well)

e: consider using mods that buff armor/resistance perks a ton because otherwise they're just noob traps that have no meaningful effect once you start collecting some good armor

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

Hm ok I saw a reddit post of people raving about life giver, especially at level 3 for regenerating health. Are they just wrong? Also, is there an in-game way to respec perk points?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

In the grand scheme of things, 3 perk points is not going to make or break you so yeah if you like the continuous regen from the 3rd rank go for it. Regeneration is one of the very few things you can't get from vanilla legendary effects so it's fair to say it has a unique value.

No there's no way to do a perk reset, you just keep leveling forever though so eventually you can fix any small mistakes.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

What does "level forever" mean? There's no xp curve, so you gain levels at the same rate the whole game? Or simply that there's no hard limit, so it still slows down, but technically there's no point at which you stop?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

It slows down but at a pretty gentle rate, and your ability to gain xp can keep up with the increase fairly well. This is all heavily explored a lot better than I can easily explain here, look around for some xp/leveling guides, there are dozens
E: the combat difficulty in Survival completely stops being a thing once you get into the 45ish range (sooner if you go for some of the extremely busted fixed uniques like Overseer's Guardian)
E: the level has more to do with hard throttles on specific very powerful legendary effects and a couple of extreme perks like Blitz 2

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 24, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Lol a .308 Overseer's Guardian and one of those legendary handmades from nuka world will absolutely devastate basically anything in fo4 with a couple ranks in commando / rifleman as appropriate

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

yeah there's at least one super busted guaranteed unique in Far Harbor too (the 2 shot lever action)
Overseer's Guardian is very easy to get early if you go straight to it, just need to collect some fusion cores to get access to the vault and then you just ... buy it from the store :shrug:
e: unlike F76, the 2-shot legendary effect in FO4 is super blatantly the best option for practically every gun

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 24, 2023

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The "does additional damage with consecutive hits" perk on those nuka world automatic rifles seems really good too (I'm just now getting to nuka world despite owning fo4 since launch day)

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
FO76: so I grabbed the blueprints for the Frozen Shoulder shotgun from the recent event, thanks for pointing out how easy it was to get.
Would like to craft a low level one, and it says it needs 2 Legendary Things.
So I put a crappy legendary weapon into the machine at a train station (this is not explained anywhere), got 2 Legendary Things but apparently they are not the ones I needed for crafting?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You need both Legendary Cores and Legendary Modules to craft legendary effects onto items / craft various legendary recipes. Cores from from completing events and various other tasks; Legendary Modules are bought from Purveyor Murmrgh inside the Rusty Pick near the Berkeley Springs train station/Charleston Fire Department POI; you need Legendary Scrip currency to pay for the Legendary Modules, you obtain scrip by trading in junk legendary items to the vending machines at the train stations as you've already discovered. yes it's more convoluted than it needs to be, I hope you like reading the word Legendary

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Fallout_76_legendary_crafting

https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Legendary_core
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Legendary_module
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/Legendary_scrip

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004
I see, thanks again :)
Btw is there something broken after the huge patch earlier this week?
Mobs are behaving strangely and seem have had their vision reduced by about 80%.
Bethesda seem in no rush to fix it, so I'll enjoy sneak-farming the Airport Terminal a couple more times :shobon:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

About to try Welcome to Paradise for Fallout 4 and lmao already at all the retextures. Gigabytes of rocks installed

Never change modders

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jun 24, 2023

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

sauer kraut posted:

I see, thanks again :)
Btw is there something broken after the huge patch earlier this week?
Mobs are behaving strangely and seem have had their vision reduced by about 80%.
Bethesda seem in no rush to fix it, so I'll enjoy sneak-farming the Airport Terminal a couple more times :shobon:

Yeah, I've definitely noticed post-patch mobs don't quite seem as interested in me, they'll casually stand around and wait for their faces to be filled with .45 ammo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Looking for treasure is kinda fun, except when it's not :arghfist: Where the gently caress are those bridges?!?!?! (Don't tell me.)

e: It's much easier when you're sober. PRO TIP right there!