Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Only Kindness posted:

OK, let's take that onboard and have like 7.29% less Krypton and lean less into mythology, say by 5.68%.

What changes, "io9" (if that's even your real name)?

Before I provide an answer: is Kurt Angle added to this mix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Saying MoS was written for it's own sake is an attempt to avoid saying it wasn't written for me, specifically. It's a dumb way to give a childish sentiment a veneer of objectivity, since it's just as nonsensical

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

"Art for art's sake is an empty phrase. Art for the sake of the true, art for the sake of the good and the beautiful, that is the faith I am searching for." - Sid Meier, Civilization IV

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Cross-posting this for what should be obvious reasons...

Okay, so, weeks turned into months for a few reasons. For the past few years, I've been working on a superhero novel. Only, that isn't the right summary. It's an "anticapitalist post-superhero thriller." I consider it a superhero novel in the sense that Man of Steel is a superhero film. Or perhaps how Blindsight is a vampire novel, if you read sci-fi.

It's called In Sekhmet's Shadow. It follows a young woman who dons a suit of power armor to avenge her father and avert her nightmares of an apocalyptic future -- nightmares of fire and ash and blood, where the air isn't filled with the cries of those she has saved but the screams of her victims. Think The Boys meets Neon Genesis Evangelion. But it's also inspired by the writings of Zizek, Mark Fisher, and a particular strain of such thought that SMG blesses us with. The status quo is the enemy -- how do you save the world from it?

It's triple-drafted, completed, edited, and, according to a wide variety of genre agents, pretty much impossible to market. Too thriller for sci-fi readers, too sci-fi for thriller readers. And while people really liked the guitar-playing goth-bot, they're less sure about the romance. I'll be putting up a chapter every day (the first six are up at present) and, at approximately sixty chapters it'll be complete in two months. I want to give people an opportunity to read it, especially people from CD which is a forum that, if I'm honest, has been a massive creative inspiration. Here's the blurb.

If you have a RR account, a follow/rating can help, too.

The reason why I'm cross-posting here is not just because I'm a huge fan of Zack Snyder and consider his films the only superhero texts I'm genuinely inspired by, but because an editor summed up my authorial sensibilities as "What if Zack Snyder made an arthouse film?" That, and watching ZSJL with the thread regulars in the Discord is one of those things that I wish I could experience again for the first time.

I feel like if there's an audience for this thing, it's probably in Snyder sickos who can appreciate character-driven introspection, brutal action, and a real mythological bent. My own experience with the publishing system over the past year or thereabouts also gives me even more sympathy for what any artist goes through to get their vision on the screen or the page or anything else. ZSJL was an amazing coup.

Extremely cool dude, will check it out.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

josh04 posted:

Extremely cool dude, will check it out.

seconded.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Gonna guess it was the writer's attempt at saying it was self-indulgent. Not that an io9 reporter should really get the benefit of the doubt.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Schwarzwald posted:

Before I provide an answer: is Kurt Angle added to this mix?

Depends. Are we involving Samoa Joe and the Big Bad Booty Daddy?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

feedmyleg posted:

Gonna guess it was the writer's attempt at saying it was self-indulgent. Not that an io9 reporter should really get the benefit of the doubt.

That term really doesn't mean anything anymore.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Being self indulgent owns. Zack Snyder is super self indulgent

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Nerds only like ‘universe building’ in the form of trivia and cameos, so naturally they consider the opening 15 minutes on Krypton a waste of time.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, I suppose it's at this point basically when a movie actually is interested in its own universe and themes rather than winking at the audience with blatant quips and cameos.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I can see how an opening depicting Krypton suffering from environmental collapse due to the socio-economical system their society has adopted and it naturally turning to fascism when things get really bad certainly wouldn't have any bearing on the rest of the film where Superman *checks notes* goes to earth.

It literally sets up the entire rest of the movie and gives you glimpses of Kryptonian society so you can compare and contrast it with earth and the trajectory it is taking without Superman. "We're already dead" Jor-El says before the planet and everyone in it is engulfed in flames. "They're already dead" the voice over the radio says about the oil rig workers before Superman saves them from being engulfed in flames. I dunno, maybe this similar line with contrasting visuals and outcomes means something from a director even this antis say is good at visuals.

Nah, it just means Snyder thinks the world and everyone in it is a gently caress and just waiting to die. An Objectivist nihilist. In this youtube video I saw...

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man Of Steel's structure is loosely based on Superman 78, hence both movies spend roughly 20 minutes on Krypton. 78 probably got criticised for it as well, especially as a big chunk of it was setting up the sequel

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bogus Adventure posted:

I don't see why we wouldn't

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

2house2fly posted:

Man Of Steel's structure is loosely based on Superman 78, hence both movies spend roughly 20 minutes on Krypton. 78 probably got criticised for it as well, especially as a big chunk of it was setting up the sequel

The Krypton parts of both movies are my favorite parts, so they should have been longer.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Is Big Bad Booty Daddy different from Daddy rear end?
8< >8 SCISSOR ME, NAM EK!

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
I remember yonks ago seeing the first trailer for Man of Steel in the cinema. It gave the impression the film was centred entirely on a young Clarke, dreaming of flying and helping in small scale disasters like a good old Boy Scout. It looked deeply, deeply boring. Especially given the previous superman film was superman returns, in which the climatic action scene was Brandon lifting a rock for three minutes.

Then a couple of months later the second or third trailer came out and it was Krypton blowing the gently caress up and buildings being blown to smithereens by lasers to the loudest, most energetic music I’d ever heard. Then the film came out and it was, in my estimation, a brief opening and then an hour and a half of an extended fight scene. It loving ruled.

Man of steel cemented my ideal superman as not some utterly invulnerable goodie two shoes but a normal man with god like powers having variations of the trolley problem thrown at him every three seconds. Then Batman Vs Superman (Ultimate Edition) came out and you’ve got the two best superhero films in decades right there.

This is not meant to be a nuanced reflection on them, they just ruled

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Bogus Adventure posted:

Imagine the colonoscopic camera work opportunities

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Aipsh posted:

I remember yonks ago seeing the first trailer for Man of Steel in the cinema. It gave the impression the film was centred entirely on a young Clarke, dreaming of flying and helping in small scale disasters like a good old Boy Scout. It looked deeply, deeply boring. Especially given the previous superman film was superman returns, in which the climatic action scene was Brandon lifting a rock for three minutes.

Then a couple of months later the second or third trailer came out and it was Krypton blowing the gently caress up and buildings being blown to smithereens by lasers to the loudest, most energetic music I’d ever heard. Then the film came out and it was, in my estimation, a brief opening and then an hour and a half of an extended fight scene. It loving ruled.

I remember this really well because when that trailer dropped me and a lot of other people everywhere were suddenly like wtf this looks metal as hell hell yes lol because it also had the brief part of Clark's vision of drowning in skulls and stuff.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

Not even the "Is Superman farting at the end?" questions could ruin this trailer.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Space Fish posted:

Is Big Bad Booty Daddy different from Daddy rear end?
8< >8 SCISSOR ME, NAM EK!

Yeah:

Daddy rear end

Big Bad Booty Daddy

MacheteZombie posted:

Imagine the colonoscopic camera work opportunities

Gotta get David Ayer to direct and that goon obsessed with Margot Robbie's colon to shoot it

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

Jesus H Christmas I had never seen this trailer before.

Never forget what they took from you.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That's the trailer that sold me on the film. I watched it like a dozen times when it came out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Jimbot posted:

That's the trailer that sold me on the film. I watched it like a dozen times when it came out.

Me too, that trailer is a goddamned masterclass.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I was sold after the boring trailer mentioned above. I was big on Terrence Malick that year so I was so loving hyped.

SuperTeeJay posted:

Not even the "Is Superman farting at the end?" questions could ruin this trailer.
lol I forgot about that. Its up with "maybe its a lion?" and "I'm not wearing hockey padth".

Gorn Myson fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 23, 2023

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Only Kindness posted:

Jesus H Christmas I had never seen this trailer before.

Never forget what they took from you.

I've said it a dozen times (like that one goon and the Margot Robbie colonoscopy) butt I consider this to be the greatest Superman short film ever made.
If for some weird reason somebody could only see one piece of Superman media this would be a contender.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I like how in it, Lois makes me think of Superman like a cryptid. Which then makes me realize that The Hulk from the 70s series is also a cryptid.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
Also reminding me how good Amy Adams is in like everything

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I've said it a dozen times (like that one goon and the Margot Robbie colonoscopy) butt

:thumbsdown:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Are you saying that post is rear end?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

McSpanky posted:

Me too, that trailer is a goddamned masterclass.
Oh my god the build of the music alone. :monocle:

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

SuperTeeJay posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6DJcgm3wNY

this is an incredibly good trailer although i didnt like the 'it stands for hope' mic static cut gag back then and i still dont. too on the nose

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ammanas posted:

this is an incredibly good trailer although i didnt like the 'it stands for hope' mic static cut gag back then and i still dont. too on the nose

[Martian Manhunter bumping the mic] "NO fuckin' way this guy gets a superhero name before I do"

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

[Martian Manhunter bumping the mic] "NO fuckin' way this guy gets a superhero name before I do"

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Ammanas posted:

i think it works way better in the trailer than the movie because of the smash cut from him saying 'excuse me' to beating up zod, which serves as an actual punchline

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jimbot posted:

I can see how an opening depicting Krypton suffering from environmental collapse due to the socio-economical system their society has adopted and it naturally turning to fascism when things get really bad certainly wouldn't have any bearing on the rest of the film where Superman *checks notes* goes to earth.

It literally sets up the entire rest of the movie and gives you glimpses of Kryptonian society so you can compare and contrast it with earth and the trajectory it is taking without Superman. "We're already dead" Jor-El says before the planet and everyone in it is engulfed in flames. "They're already dead" the voice over the radio says about the oil rig workers before Superman saves them from being engulfed in flames. I dunno, maybe this similar line with contrasting visuals and outcomes means something from a director even this antis say is good at visuals.

Nah, it just means Snyder thinks the world and everyone in it is a gently caress and just waiting to die. An Objectivist nihilist. In this youtube video I saw...

When you make a big performance about wanting Smiling Daddy Superman of course you hate any time spent on Krypton, because any context and background gets in the way of mindless spectacle assuring you that strong powerful men will take all the real problems away.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ghost Leviathan posted:

When you make a big performance about wanting Smiling Daddy Superman of course you hate any time spent on Krypton, because any context and background gets in the way of mindless spectacle assuring you that strong powerful men will take all the real problems away.

What if the problem is there aren't enough strong powerful men around, and also too many shirts

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

You know what they say, hard men make soft shirts.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

RBA Starblade posted:

What if the problem is there aren't enough strong powerful men around, and also too many shirts

Then Zack Snyder has just the thing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
What if he did a space movie where in the future shirts just don’t exist. Also the one religion is CrossFit.