Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kchama posted:

Tell us about your anti-war stance.

Actually no don’t do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

The_Franz posted:

Ukraine War: Russia caught with their Pantsir down

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

RDM posted:

I have more sympathy for the Russians who are actually fighting the war that is meat grindering both Ukrainians and Russian ethnic minorities than I will ever have for any of your friends who showed up on September 22nd because this inconvenience of a war has finally affected them. They are the worst.

Like :wtf: is wrong with you? You don't have to choose between thinking Russia sending Central Asians to die as cannon fodder is terrible and having empathy with anti-war protestors and people who don't want to die for Putin leaving Russia

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Dead forum user posted:

Absolutely, there's also indications Ukrainians are pretty succesfully hitting logistics and artillery in the Russian rear. The counter offensive may very well be succesful.

At the same time pro-Ukraine/western media can be prone to its own form of hopium/copium where every captured 100 metres is announced like a massive breakthrough. I also remember some news a few weeks back saying Ukraine had "encircled" Bakhmut for example which is just bullshit

Also, this offensive doesn't have to win the war in a week to make it a success. Despite not being a huge success so far, it's already is a succsess. Ukraine will win a war of attrition (IMO even if the fascists win in the US and pull their support as long as the rest of NATO and EU keeps sending aid). Russia spends $75 billion on the military, while NATO sans the USA spends $400 billion (before Finland and Sweden* which adds another $13 billion). Americans poo poo on the spending of the rest of NATO, but the rest of NATO outspends Russia, India and China combined by $100 billion. Removing the US from the equation, NATO spends 25% of the world's total military budget - in comparison Russia has 0,5% of the world's military funding

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Uh excuse me but Ukraine is OBVIOUSLY desperate, they’re nearly out of troops now!! They didn’t immediately take back the rest of their territory and they are mobilizing more troops!!!

Just like when Ukraine was TOTALLY boned when they cut pay for people not working he front lines, don’t you remember the huge revolt that lost them the war?

Surely the end of the Ukraine regime is near!!! Again!!

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Taking in Russians is the most ethical and peaceful method of depriving the Russian state of people it can draft into the war or supporting industries.

It also exposes them to the decadent west so they can see what life is like outside the Putin bubble.

Its peaceful, ethical and strategically effective. Check they're not in the FSB and let them in.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Carth Dookie posted:

Taking in Russians is the most ethical and peaceful method of depriving the Russian state of people it can draft into the war or supporting industries.

It also exposes them to the decadent west so they can see what life is like outside the Putin bubble.

Its peaceful, ethical and strategically effective. Check they're not in the FSB and let them in.

fizzy
Dec 2, 2022

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bad news for cetacean animal welfare - Russia, which also uses beluga whales and seals for mission, has almost doubled its investment in its fleet of trained bottlenose dolphins

https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...f08657ec7321373

Russia nearly doubles floating mammal pens thought to contain trained bottlenose dolphins
2h ago
07.30 BST

Russia has almost doubled its floating mammal pens in Sevastopol, according to British defence officials, and they are “highly likely” to contain trained bottlenose dolphins.

In its latest intelligence briefing, the Ministry of Defence said it believed the animals were intended to counter enemy divers.

The Russian navy, which also uses beluga whales and seals for missions, has invested heavily in its Black Sea fleet’s main base since last summer.

GundamHealer
Jul 23, 2022

A sign on the Russian Enterprise that says “китообразные операции”

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Happy midsummer's eve with this old Finnish cartoon strip from during the war.

("Rymy-Eetu: Ryssän kauhu", "Ruckus-Eetu: Terror of the Russkies")

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Carth Dookie posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjW_6ArOQ1w

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Your point being? Or you just going to drop that video in here and not actually say it?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

Autisanal Cheese posted:

Your point being? Or you just going to drop that video in here and not actually say it?

It's an extremely naive (and, tbh, kind of patronising) assumption that "exposure to life in decadent west" will magically change people's views. Those folks in the video had been living in Germany for years and decades and were supportive of war when it started to the point of clashing with others that were against the war. If that wasn't clear.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

I think the point is that it's a sizable pro-putin russian dispora...

... but I think most of them was the dispora before the war broke out. I know a Ukrainan boomer who have lived in Scandinavia for a decade that's all in favor of Russia (she's from the east) - but she doesn't represent Russians that fled from Russia thanks to the war

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

RDM posted:

I have more sympathy for the Russians who are actually fighting the war that is meat grindering both Ukrainians and Russian ethnic minorities than I will ever have for any of your friends who showed up on September 22nd because this inconvenience of a war has finally affected them. They are the worst.

I don't think there's any need for this kind of talk.

I mean yes I'd prefer it if more Russians directly opposed the war, yes. If enough people spoke up together, it could have a genuine impact.

But Russia is a police state. There's currently no unified opposition or realistically practical chance of any collective action, and the cost of individually protesting is extremely high - getting gulaged if you are lucky, or getting beaten to within an inch of your life and then gulaged if you are slightly less lucky.

I'm therefore not going to judge individual Russians who don't publically oppose it - which would be a performative act of suicide. Them fleeing the country is probably one of the only realistic options they have, and it hurts the Russian state and war effort, so its OK in my book.

However, I very much will judge those Russians who support the war, either fervently or softly - ie: "I didn't agree with the war (because I liked Western amenities), but now we're in it we need to win it so Russia stays strong", etc. I am also very disappointed in the Russian opposition movements for their bickering and lack of unity, which really hampers the possibility of any collective action or coordination.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Prigozhin in his new video says Donbas was plundered by Russian generals, FSB members and presidential administration employees, stealing funds meant for training etc., says MoD is trying to deceive society that there was some insane UA aggression

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672177488535977984

Second part - which diverts from reality more significantly unless you replace "Shoigu" or "brain-diseased oligarchs" with "Putin", says occupied territories are plundered as well

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672186669762596865

Edit: Part three - says they lost long time ago, dead are not counted, only achievement of minimal advances is important
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672193945604947968

Edit: Part 4 - they're losing to Ukraine during the current counteroffensive, commanders lie to higher-ups

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672203268796055554

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 23, 2023

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Prigozhin is getting woke

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Tigey posted:

I am also very disappointed in the Russian opposition movements for their bickering and lack of unity, which really hampers the possibility of any collective action or coordination.

One side of the opposition are nazis, one side is neo-liberals and one side are leftist (not including the Russian Communist Party because they're just Putin puppets)

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

It's not a perfect solution. But still better arguing with banners instead of killing each other on a battlefield.

Dynastocles
May 29, 2009

"If you'll excuse me, my dinner time is six o'clock. Only gangsters eat at 9 o'clock, after some bootlegging and a hot game of craps."

Countdown to tankies accusing Prigozhin of being a globalist CIA Anglo Saxon western NATO plant

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

fatherboxx posted:

Seek help and touch grass

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dwesa posted:

Prigozhin in his new video says Donbas was plundered by Russian generals, FSB members and presidential administration employees, stealing funds meant for training etc., says MoD is trying to deceive society that there was some insane UA aggression

Second part - which diverts from reality more significantly unless you replace "Shoigu" or "brain-diseased oligarchs" with "Putin", says occupied territories are plundered as well

Edit: Part three - says they lost long time ago, dead are not counted, only achievement of minimal advances is important

Edit: Part 4 - they're losing to Ukraine during the current counteroffensive, commanders lie to higher-ups

Are these AI generated or real?

Isn't he going to get polonium tea for this?

What is his angle here?

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

steinrokkan posted:

Prigozhin is getting woke

It's frustrating how some of the most realistic Russian takes are coming from people who think the biggest Russian mistake was not invading hard enough.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

TulliusCicero posted:

What is his angle here?

I'm still of the opinion that this is orchestrated somehow. I'm basing that on gently caress all other than my suspicion that outright contempt wouldn't be tolerated.

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008

Computer viking posted:

It's frustrating how some of the most realistic Russian takes are coming from people who think the biggest Russian mistake was not invading hard enough.

We're not allowed to talk about cspam.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

hitchensgoespop posted:

We're not allowed to talk about cspam.

CV said "realistic takes" so that can't be it

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

TulliusCicero posted:

What is his angle here?

It's a powerplay. I have no idea what's going on with Russian elites right now but he's not trying to commit suicide. I also don't think he's ever actually called out Putin on anything. His ire is directed at Shoigu and the mod.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

TulliusCicero posted:

What is his angle here?
Real. I think he sees writing on the wall and that once this disastrous invasion is defeated, someone will need to bear the blame and he blames (mainly) MoD. I think he's trying to get into Putin's favor again (I assume he lost it because mercenaries are since recently obliged to register with MoD), he's at no point blaming Putin, so perhaps he would like to be Shoigu's replacement? No polonium tea for him yet, Putin likes various factions fighting each other instead of him and this story of incompetent and corrupt MoD is just another "Good tsar, bad boyars" story meant for general population.

Edit:
In other news - Rheinmetall is supplying UA with further 20 Marders this summer, 10 more can be delivered every month they say

https://twitter.com/bayraktar_1love/status/1672212286352531459

Chinese company supplied gunpowder to Russia

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1672209162896396294

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jun 23, 2023

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
He's obviously running for president next year.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

TulliusCicero posted:

What is his angle here?

Trying out how far he can push the rightwing populist approach in current conditions.

bratwurst massage
Jan 27, 2018

Dwesa posted:

How is he still alive? With all these oligarchs falling out of windows, I would think he's also on putins shitlist by now

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

Anders posted:

... but I think most of them was the dispora before the war broke out. I know a Ukrainan boomer who have lived in Scandinavia for a decade that's all in favor of Russia (she's from the east) - but she doesn't represent Russians that fled from Russia thanks to the war

This is not limited to Russia, btw. I play in an online community that has a lot of Turkish people living in central Europe. There is a very clear division of "People who left Türkiye 10+ years ago" who are majority enthusiastically pro-Erdogan, and "People who left Türkiye in the past 10 years" who are overwhelmingly anti-Erdogan. They occasionally get really shouty at each other.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

bratwurst massage posted:

How is he still alive? With all these oligarchs falling out of windows, I would think he's also on putins shitlist by now

He owns a very large mercenary army and probably has no plans to be in Russia anytime soon. Worse case scenario he just goes and hangs out at some diamond mine that Wagner owns

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

bratwurst massage posted:

Putin is a smoothbrain grandpa and this guy managed to scam him good like a favorite of an oldtimey king

fatherboxx fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Jun 23, 2023

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011

B-Rock452 posted:

He owns a very large mercenary army and probably has no plans to be in Russia anytime soon. Worse case scenario he just goes and hangs out at some diamond mine that Wagner owns

Didn't he visit the Ministry of Defense in Moscow very recently?

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane
Real hot take: Prig is trying to demonstrate himself as a realist and tactician to potential Wagner customers outside Russia. He sees the writing on the wall, demonstrated how Wagner leadership and crews are actually better than the Rus army. Now he is sticking the boot in to hammer home the message before he ducks out to Africa or sells private security to oligarchs.

The hottest of takes: he is lining himself up to defect to the west.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

No clearly this shows that Russia is in fact winning. It’s to lure Ukraine into a false sense of confidence. Why else would someone post these videos unless they were just winning super hard? Totally normal communications.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Oh also Wagner is basically pulled out of Ukraine already anyways so this doesn’t matter

Copium.jpg

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe
Has anyone commented on the Washington response to a potential destruction of the Zaporizhia Nuclear Powerplant by Russia?

Cause they are now saying outright if this happens they will consider it an attack on NATO and that Article 5 will be enacted.

Risky, since it can escalate things, but at the same time i agree that a clear "gently caress around and find out" needs to be told to Russia since they think they can constantly push these horrible atrocities without any sort of consequence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyKeen
Jul 24, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Gejnor posted:

Cause they are now saying outright if this happens they will consider it an attack on NATO and that Article 5 will be enacted.

E: Oops, I misread.
E2: Do you have a source for this?

RoyKeen fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 23, 2023