Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

flashy_mcflash posted:

For the review I was going to write I wanted to take a CAW through career mode but holy gently caress it will NOT let me get to actually saving the CAW without crashing. Three times now!

did you disable online

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

drat id kill for a 2k universe/mdickie career style mode :( Theres nothing like that in it?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Kvlt! posted:

drat id kill for a 2k universe/mdickie career style mode :( Theres nothing like that in it?

there is a branching paths single player story mode but no weekly card builder type thing.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

STONE COLD 64 posted:

there is a branching paths single player story mode but no weekly card builder type thing.

drat maybe theyll add one down the line

still gonna get it tho it looks badass

Long-Time Lurker
May 20, 2021

readin'-but-not-postin'-jones

Video got taken down? How did it look?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the same but very jaggy. pretty smooth. remember the ps2 and ps3 era where it was jagged. well it's back on the nintendo switch. 2017

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean it can't possibly run worse than the last WWE game they attempted to port to Switch

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/haangemhiigh/status/1672099134726189058?s=46&t=_akPFYiqAqKbxYd3RPf4Jg

Kenny, you loving nerd

keithy george
Jan 8, 2008

Long-Time Lurker posted:

Video got taken down? How did it look?
There was a 4 way match in the video which looked fine. Probably 30fps, and it's harder to judge issues from a youtube video but nothing about it looked obviously wrong in the way the WWE Switch games were.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Peak wrestling game, I don't give a gently caress about the CAW now.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
fusion dance does not result in Penta el Rey, 2/5

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Barry Bluejeans posted:

fusion dance does not result in Penta el Rey, 2/5
no computer can simulate that amount of power

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

There is indeed a SHITLOAD of music in the game, which you can assign in the jukebox to play in the menus and during matches. Outside of Jane and Wayward Son I can't think of too much music I've heard on Dynamite that isn't here. Sure would be nice to have Kaze Ni Nare, but alas

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

NO JANE!!!!

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
this videogame looks really fun.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

given that the entrances are only 5 seconds long I don't care as much about themes. Didn't realize when they said "it'll be like No Mercy" they literally took that game's abbreviated intros too lol

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

you missed out on some Good Conversation in that case

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

DLC Inc posted:

given that the entrances are only 5 seconds long I don't care as much about themes. Didn't realize when they said "it'll be like No Mercy" they literally took that game's abbreviated intros too lol

This is fine if it's all seamless and flows into the start of the match with no additional load screen.

Full entrances are cool to watch once or twice, but I always turned that off in the WWE games because of the length and load screen

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The abbreviated entrances are actually kinda cool because you can control nearly every aspect of them - camera angles, pyro, you can even assign hand signals (like the too sweet one, cero miedo, etc) to the directional pad so you can have your wrestler throw up the horns or whatever and technically each entrance can be made unique.

I just wish there was more variety in CAW itself, or some way to share creations (I don't see either, but maybe that's something they can patch in later).

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think they'll definitely patch in additional CAW pieces but I'm not sure how much hope I'd have for a community creations feature. Maybe if it does really well, but it might be time to bust formulas back out.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Pylons posted:

I think they'll definitely patch in additional CAW pieces but I'm not sure how much hope I'd have for a community creations feature. Maybe if it does really well, but it might be time to bust formulas back out.

CAW parts, yeah, but being able to place logos on things seems pretty basic as a feature and is a pretty good workaround for missing parts. There's a gigantic selection of T-shirts you can use (surprise, for the t-shirt company) but I'd much prefer one t-shirt that you can put logos on (and being able to put those logos on tights or whatever). I understand now why the creation suites weren't in any of the previews.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Do i have access to the gear the wrestlers wear?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

https://twitter.com/DrainBamager/status/1672218161981321223

drat this looks loving cool as hell

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

Do i have access to the gear the wrestlers wear?

Yeah it looks like most of it. I was mostly using the women's CAW mode and found Jade's and Britt's for sure. I'm pretty sure Abadon's 'paint' (real face) is in there too. I don't remember seeing Rosa's but maybe you have to unlock it. There's certain things you have to unlock with in-game currency but you earn it by doing practically anything I think, including playing exhibition matches (even if you lose).

Sure would be nice if I could actually save the caw without the game crashing. I'm also very terrible at the button mashing system for kickouts.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

CAW parts, yeah, but being able to place logos on things seems pretty basic as a feature and is a pretty good workaround for missing parts.

Yeah but people wanted No Mercy, not Backstage Assault :v:

Joking aside that is a pretty glaring omission of a feature.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

The way I'm looking at it is that it's kind of like a fighting game - Slam Masters or something - with a fantastic engine and very limited functionality around it, especially if you're used to the WWE games that put in all these frills to distract you from the fact that the gameplay and wrestling gets dull really quickly.

Once you get into a match - any match, between any two people - it's an incredible experience that's never the same twice. The stuff around it ranges from fun/funny and genuinely surprising to feeling very incomplete and rushed.

In a lot of ways, it's AEW in a nutshell.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Some of the early streams I watched made a lot of comparisons to Def Jam.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

is the caw roughly similar to the N64 WWE/VPW games? because straight up i prefer the simple model where the characters actually blend in to the more complex modern caw suites where you have to import chest textures to even start making someone decent

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

goddamn how much music is in this game

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

oh yeah, and the caw stats question. do i have to drag everyone i make through story mode for them to not suck?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

oh yeah, and the caw stats question. do i have to drag everyone i make through story mode for them to not suck?

I'll try that tonight. I didn't actually get to any CAW stat editing, only appearance and move set before the poo poo crashed on me.

You definitely unlock characters in the career mode, not sure about stats.

Gambit from the X-Men posted:

is the caw roughly similar to the N64 WWE/VPW games? because straight up i prefer the simple model where the characters actually blend in to the more complex modernization caw suites where you have to import chest textures to even start making someone decent

This is how I'd describe it. I actually prefer the freedom and granular control you have over the CAWs appearance in the 2K games because I like creating freakshows, but you have to really like and want to sit around in the creation suite for a long time like I do. 2K incentivizes that by making the wrestling part super boring so you're looking for other things to do. FF is the opposite.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Jun 23, 2023

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

true, thanks for the response. freakshows are fun as hell, but i inevitably only ever wound up making one or two (fictional) wrestlers in WWE games simply because of how long every step took. making fictional ones was easy because i could just use what parts looked cool, and then I'd download everyone else i wanted. fortunately, AEW 's roster has a good portion of that Everyone Else. thank you again

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Can you edit the aew wrestlers attire's?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

https://twitter.com/HaangEmHiigh/status/1672269894816083968?s=20

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I love how I look at the "professional" impressions of the game and they are knocking based on poo poo like low polygon count or whatever.

Then I come here and everyone is like "look at this goofy poo poo, I love it!"

I know we haven't played the game yet, but it just looks fun from everything I've seen so far.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Game's most likely going to be $60 on steam right? Do we know if it'll work with remote play together?

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Astro7x posted:

I love how I look at the "professional" impressions of the game and they are knocking based on poo poo like low polygon count or whatever.

Then I come here and everyone is like "look at this goofy poo poo, I love it!"

I know we haven't played the game yet, but it just looks fun from everything I've seen so far.

these days I don't go to reviewers or even forums for impressions on games. I just kinda judge the vibe and keep my eye out for like oh its broken on release. Too many places are just negative and bring the mood down like the ff16 thread or back in the day the mass effect thread. And reviewers well lmao why not distrust a reviewer?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

If only they could just bring over the CAW system from the Action Arcade game. I want to team CM Punk up with a giant can of Pepsi.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Suplex Liberace posted:

Can you edit the aew wrestlers attire's?

Yes, but it seems that it varies from wrestler to wrestler. Like I was trying to edit Riho and it didn't give me that many options (if any). For the most part it seems like some wrestlers only let you alter the colours. I'll look around some more though.

Gavok posted:

If only they could just bring over the CAW system from the Action Arcade game. I want to team CM Punk up with a giant can of Pepsi.

Yes! This would be the dream.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh, I'm sure everyone's been wondering, yes the Shot of Brandi theme is in there.