Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

ImpAtom posted:

Sometimes I am reminded that probably the most iconic video game character of all time is a squat rotund mustachio'd Italian plumber in overalls.

And he is often adorable.

His only competition at the time was a pie chart being chased by ghosts, and a bouncy alien with a foul mouth. The speedy hedgehog didn't show up until later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Waffle! posted:

His only competition at the time was a pie chart being chased by ghosts, and a bouncy alien with a foul mouth. The speedy hedgehog didn't show up until later.

this is pitfall harry and taizo hori erasure and i will not stand for it

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Tafferling posted:

I just love that Dopefish Lives even in Mario land.
Thats a dopefish Toad is jumping onto, you can't fool me.

Wow, I haven't thought about dopefish in like 25 years. Memories!

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Large Testicles posted:

Mother 3 remaster only in Japan

Or the UK release, "Mum 3".

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Lol I made a sword out of the sand seal statue blocking the emergency shelter in gerudo town.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rolo posted:

Lol I made a sword out of the sand seal statue blocking the emergency shelter in gerudo town.

The sword that seals the darkness

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm still waiting for more of Wonder before I decide how I feel about it. But thank god they at least got rid of that Bwah Bwah dancing poo poo. I don't like the flowers using copy paste white noise poo poo post texts I see on other forums constantly. And I'' look past it since it's probably there to appeal to young players. But other than that, the footage they showed in the direct at least looked like it'll be a little more difficult than the sleepwalk New games. And it's nice to see so many playable characters. I'm kinda surprised about that.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Fangz posted:

The sword that seals the darkness

Lol nice

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Love when I casually stumble onto a shrine that was obviously part of some kind of riddle quest and just get the blessing no muss no fuss.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
The mission impossible skydiving chute is fun. There was probably some easier way to get to it but rockets and hot air balloons get the job done (eventually)

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA

trevorreznik posted:

Wow, I haven't thought about dopefish in like 25 years. Memories!

Play more shooters! There are a ton on the switch too!

Palmtree Panic
Jul 28, 2007

He has no style, he has no grace
https://twitter.com/nintendeal/status/1672076749969178624?s=46&t=W6hVQcOe0Ym3XvsB_eCBIA

Going to keep my Switch in airplane mode forever to keep the original Pikmin 3 logo.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
They soiled it

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Picturing Alan Wake minus the Duracell tie-ins and man you wouldn't be able to see anything

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

CJacobs posted:

Picturing Alan Wake minus the Duracell tie-ins and man you wouldn't be able to see anything

Powerzone Turbocells. Got a bag of them down Herne Bay market. £1, thirty batteries.

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

I started trying to play picross on NSO but it’s in Japanese. I think I have it sort of figured out now but for the first half an hour I felt like Chris Farley on the sketch where he ends up on the game show and has no idea what’s going on.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

otter posted:

I started trying to play picross on NSO but it’s in Japanese. I think I have it sort of figured out now but for the first half an hour I felt like Chris Farley on the sketch where he ends up on the game show and has no idea what’s going on.

It's not too hard to get used to

Raylax
Jul 21, 2021

Tshshshshshshshsh
Those gamecube textures and models in pikmin 1 & 2 are raw as hell upscaled to switch but it's nice to replay them after so long

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Raylax posted:

Those gamecube textures and models in pikmin 1 & 2 are raw as hell upscaled to switch but it's nice to replay them after so long

The Gamecube had 3MB of VRAM. Three Megabytes.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Raylax posted:

I thought I had made a terrible mistake right at the start of 1, as it's zoomed right in on some godawful grass texture. Once you can zoom out as far as you can and running with the crew i stopped noticing though. What a wrong foot forwards though.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

MikeJF posted:

I mean, I'm certainly no 'all games from that era must be played on CRT' purist, many or even most games didn't use those effects and I'd prefer to play clean and sharp. But some did deliberately not just design around the side-effects, but exploit them, and sometimes the exploit tricks can end up making the sharp version look a bit worse than it otherwise might. It's not exactly a major effect but it is there.

(Really you tended to see more use of the CRT effects on the Genesis, as a consequence of being much more limited in the number of colours it could show, as well a lack of colour mixing or transparent capabilities)

This is from a few pages back, but talking about how some games were designed around CRT reminds me of CGA graphics. Check this poo poo out. I grew up with old DOS. games and never knew this:

Skip to about 4:45, or watch the whole thing I don't care, I'm not your dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKblgZupOc

It's a very special use case but it's amazing that combinations of the original 4 colour palettes in CGA can, given the right connections and TV, give you 4 separate palettes of 16 colours each. All specifically from NTSC artifacting.

Edit: is there a setting in DOSBox or something that mimics this?

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 23, 2023

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Read After Burning posted:

Squat lil' RPG Mario is my favorite Mario. :allears:

So cute!

I really got from the moment I saw that this was gonna be a ridiculously faithful remake, that they specifically got the proportions making him a weird hinterland between time NSMB default Mario and post super mushroom big Mario.

Also still funny that Bowser just looks normally on-model, but then I'm pretty sure SMRPG was where they first fully developed the model they've used ever since.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Read After Burning posted:

Squat lil' RPG Mario is my favorite Mario. :allears:

So cute!

hes a little gremlin

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It's not too hard to get used to

True if the game is explained in a language you understand.
I finally got the hang of it and cleared the first set of levels.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I really got from the moment I saw that this was gonna be a ridiculously faithful remake, that they specifically got the proportions making him a weird hinterland between time NSMB default Mario and post super mushroom big Mario.

Pft, call that faithful? They shoved Peach to the back so Geno could stand in front now they know he's a fan favourite! And they dumped Yoshi!

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jun 23, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

MikeJF posted:

Pft, call that faithful? They shoved peach to the back so Geno could stand in front now they know he's a fan favourite! And they dumped Yoshi!

yoshi is too busy gorging himself on cookies to join the party

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Yoshi doesn’t deserve to stand with the real characters

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

hatty posted:

Yoshi doesn’t deserve to stand with the real characters

what on earth

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I do appreciate that they've tweaked things slightly to give Geno a less confusing nose.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
It was way too long in my life before I realized the curly bit was hair and not a nose, and that the part I thought was a mouth was actually the nose. I thought they were going for a head elf in Rudolph kind of thing.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Geno comin in here with that popped collar

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Is the GBA Fire Emblem that just came out worth a drat? I've never played any of them, but I loved the Shining Force games.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Is the GBA Fire Emblem that just came out worth a drat? I've never played any of them, but I loved the Shining Force games.

it's worth multiple damns

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Extremely, it's one of the best in the series.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It’s one of the better ones for sure

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, awesome, I'm looking forward to playing it, thanks!

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

It is in fact the perfect entry point to the series, as it was the first one in the series released outside Japan and they were extra thorough with the tutorials. In fact, there's an entire extended tutorial prologue campaign, "Lyn mode" that's meant to ease new players into things.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://nintendoeverything.com/fan-spends-over-3500-to-rant-about-splatoon-3-at-nintendo-shareholder-meeting/
' Reports have surfaced that someone was ranting “loudly” about female characters’ perceived preferential treatment in Splatoon 3 regarding customization. This person felt there is a lack of options for male characters, including hairstyles and emotes, compared to those available to the female counterpart"

Quiet rants are a dying artform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The boy hair is kinda lacking in Splatoon 3 but lmao at this guy going into severe credit card debt because he thinks certain victory poses are too feminine