Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Eikon
Phoenix
Titan
Garuda
Ramuh
Shiva
Odin
Bahamut
Ifrit
View Results

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
I mean, FFXV is spending half of the game hanging out With The Boys, generally having a good time, atmospherically, and the systems you end up interacting with like roadtripping and taking goofy photos with your friends.

FFXV actually has this weird problem in the opposite direction where a lot of the darkness doesn't make itself felt in the atmosphere/game until either very late or unless you're looking pretty hard for it in specific conversations, especially without the context of Kingsglaive. It's why FFXV can feel a little aimless until you've played enough of it to get "the point of it"; the game is trying to tell you that there's a lot of urgency and, in theory, there is a lot of interesting macabre matter in it, but a lot of the game struggles to convey it outside of a few specific moments until pretty late when the game's plot speed suddenly accelerates.

Also, to emphasize, this is me not saying FFXVI's more dour tone is somehow bad. That's not the issue for me. I actually love those kinds of settings and I definitely don't have an issue with FF trying its hand at it. The issue is the mixing of darker settings with some hallmarks of FF writing, when FF writing has a very specific synergy with their story setups that is not as present here. They needed to shift their writing a bit more to make the synergy stronger. But in general, they are relatively minor issues (certainly way better than FFXV which was actively half-finished until later versions, for example), and what's present here has some strong (albeit, sometimes uneven) attempts.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Jun 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

All FF games should steal 7R's weapon system.

:hmmyes:

Just maybe with an easier to navigate menu, but yeah otherwise I love being able to customize weapons a bit and have different weapons for different purposes

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Motto posted:

16's RPG systems are a little disappointing but in the sense that if things are gonna be this stripped down I'd prefer them to go harder in that direction rather than keep busywork around out of obligation. Either make it even more action gamey in that regard or come up with new systems that better fit how the game works, like eschewing traditional gear and making it entirely about trading off bonuses to Eikon effectiveness and CD reduction.

But even then if you want an FF that's a more balanced action-RPG, 7R is right there. We're getting two more of them in the short- and medium- term, and 17 is very likely to be different than any immediately prior games.

I don't know if the game eventually does this but it would be nice if the swords + armor would also give you benefits to eikon abilities at some point (instead of just accessories doing that). Let you choose between swords that give you a cooldown reduction to rising flames or a damage boost to a different ability or w/e.

I think the itemization is the only complaint that really resonates with me (and even then it's more a missed opportunity than anything), everything else comes across as someone wishing final fantasy as a series was different. The fact that 10 is the only turn-based one apart from the NES games tells you how action-oriented this series has always been.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

I don't know if the game eventually does this but it would be nice if the swords + armor would also give you benefits to eikon abilities at some point (instead of just accessories doing that). Let you choose between swords that give you a cooldown reduction to rising flames or a damage boost to gouge or w/e.

I think the itemization is the only complaint that really resonates with me (and even then it's more a missed opportunity than anything), everything else comes across as someone wishing final fantasy as a series was different. The fact that 10 is the only turn-based one apart from the NES games tells you how action-oriented this series has always been.

Sadly only accessories do.

Literally the only choice in other equipment is there are two late game armors, one of which has like 2 points more defense and the other gives you 5 more HP.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yeah the itemization, while an actual criticism, isn't a bother to me. I'm getting enough of that playing Diablo I'll gladly take a game whose only consideration is straight attack up. Also every item in the game has a lengthy XIV-style description which I am eating up.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I definitely wish there was more to itemization but I personally prefer boring equipment to no equipment at all. I just like finding equipment upgrades even if they're boring and straightforward.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

i keep thinking how much better it would be if all the gear you craft was instead straight drops from bosses and marks or hidden in the chests around the exploration zones, instead of like 5 beast fangs and a bottle of blood.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Also hey can the game borrow another thing from XIV and let me glamour swords over each other thanks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

ImpAtom posted:

Final Fantasy XIII was bad because it never slowed down and let you explore the world.

FFXV was bad because all it let you do was slow down and explore the world

FF16 is bad because you have a mix of fast paced linear segments and slower world building.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SettingSun posted:

-Heavy character action focus combined with a lack of more complex tactics like elemental resistance/vulnerability and character development strips the game of its RPGness.

Is this the kind of 'RPGness' where someone thinks an RPG is about XP and leveling up and allocating stat points?

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013
Having a harder difficulty from the start would solve my only problem with the game, the combat is basically braindead easy.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

It's the rule that every FF entry has to be simultaneously the best and worst in the series. Sounds like 16 is doing a good job of achieving this.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I will admit, the first time I faced a Bomb, and I didn't really see any of the things I associate with Bombs, was kinda a letdown.

SOPFFO handled them perfectly, and I'm not talking about you being able to suplex them, though that was also nice

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

TORGAL! :3:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dpulex posted:

Having a harder difficulty from the start would solve my only problem with the game, the combat is basically braindead easy.

I can understand why since it follows DMC logic where later game enemies are worked in but yeah a midpoint between Action and Final Fantasy would be nice

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

It's the rule that every FF entry has to be simultaneously the best and worst in the series. Sounds like 16 is doing a good job of achieving this.

it's a newer rule because nobody ever talks about 2 or 3

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The last thing I did in the game was the first real eikon fight and how cool it was is all I can think about this morning. Wish I were home to play more.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Something I found interesting about the SkillUp review was that a lot of what he complained about are things that are also true in FFXIV, like elemental types not mattering or the linearity of dungeons or the pacing of the story and side quests or boring itemization. That's just all FFXIV stuff.

I don't know why I'm surprised but I do think it's really fascinating how FFXVI turned out to be a single-player FFXIV with action combat. I mean I should have seen that coming but somehow I didn't.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I will admit, the first time I faced a Bomb, and I didn't really see any of the things I associate with Bombs, was kinda a letdown.

SOPFFO handled them perfectly, and I'm not talking about you being able to suplex them, though that was also nice

Bombs absolutely do a self destruct attack, which is the main thing I associate with them.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
am i the only one who struggles with the XVIVXVIV? I know them but I'm doing the roman math to translate them to a normal usa number and then by the time I'm at the next one I'm going back to recheck, okay first one was 16 and they're comparing it to 14, the mmo. I guess this is a complaint aimed at romans more than anything, your number system sucks with the I dancing around the V and then summoning it's friends.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Last night when I first encountered Bombs one detonated and killed me so I'm gonna have to give these Bombs an A+.

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Khanstant posted:

it's a newer rule because nobody ever talks about 2 or 3

Probably would happen if the internet had been a bigger thing when they were released.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Khanstant posted:

am i the only one who struggles with the XVIVXVIV? I know them but I'm doing the roman math to translate them to a normal usa number and then by the time I'm at the next one I'm going back to recheck, okay first one was 16 and they're comparing it to 14, the mmo. I guess this is a complaint aimed at romans more than anything, your number system sucks with the I dancing around the V and then summoning it's friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEGwKTQrqmQ

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm still in the armor that I started the game with and that's been going well so far, damage is scaling appropriately

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
As someone who doesn’t love deep rpg mechanics this game was made for me

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

I'm about 10hours in and loving it, but if they wanted to make xvii a turn based party rpg I'd also be well on board with that too.

Dpulex
Feb 26, 2013

Mainwaring posted:

I'm about 10hours in and loving it, but if they wanted to make xvii a turn based party rpg I'd also be well on board with that too.

I like final fantasy may cry but it's just so basic. Add just one more weapon type, harder enemies, magic weaknesses, freaking something that has meaningful player choice in combat. They almost have something great here.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute
Taking various criticisms into account, FF16 is hardly a perfect game, but it's been very fun. I'm sure they could have made a fun game with more active party controling, or better itemization, or less doughy-faced sidequest NPC models, but hey, it's a genuinely cohesive and engaging FF game full of spectacle and chocobos, and that's about where my personal bar is set right now.

Also I can't shut up about enjoying the combat, but I was coming into this REALLY dubious and unsure about how much I'd like it. I am more or less in the strike zone of who they designed the combat for, I guess. I'm not completely hopeless with buttons but I don't usually play action combat games, and it's nice so far.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

Something I found interesting about the SkillUp review was that a lot of what he complained about are things that are also true in FFXIV, like elemental types not mattering or the linearity of dungeons or the pacing of the story and side quests or boring itemization. That's just all FFXIV stuff.

I don't know why I'm surprised but I do think it's really fascinating how FFXVI turned out to be a single-player FFXIV with action combat. I mean I should have seen that coming but somehow I didn't.

What's interesting is that CBU3 has been updating old, story-required dungeons in ff14 to use a duty support system, so you can run the dungeon with npcs if you want to. In fact you can now progress dungeon wise though the majority of the msq you get access to on the free trial without actually grouping with other real players for the most part. They plan to add it for all required story Content up through shadowbringers expansion when the existing "trust" system takes over being able to do things with npc party members. The speculation being when the game is no longer profitable as an mmo, they can tweak some things and release it as a stand-alone single player FF game.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mainwaring posted:

Bombs absolutely do a self destruct attack, which is the main thing I associate with them.

susan b buffering posted:

Last night when I first encountered Bombs one detonated and killed me so I'm gonna have to give these Bombs an A+.

Hmm okay, maybe its part of me continuing to be overwhelmed with combat and all the particle effects but I didn't really notice that or just thought it was their normal death animation.

To clarify, the thing I associate with Bombs is not just self destruct, but that they will react to your attacks by getting bigger to warn you they're going to blow up

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm okay, maybe its part of me continuing to be overwhelmed with combat and all the particle effects but I didn't really notice that or just thought it was their normal death animation.

To clarify, the thing I associate with Bombs is not just self destruct, but that they will react to your attacks by getting bigger to warn you they're going to blow up

Oh yeah I didn't notice them growing. One of them just happened to self-destruct at one point.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Itemization is exactly what I expect out of a FF game. Number go up = equip new item.

Combat is really doing it for me too. It's been very fun trying to get used to the timing to get in all the extra magic hits in a sword combo for instance.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

DelphiAegis posted:

What's interesting is that CBU3 has been updating old, story-required dungeons in ff14 to use a duty support system, so you can run the dungeon with npcs if you want to. In fact you can now progress dungeon wise though the majority of the msq you get access to on the free trial without actually grouping with other real players for the most part. They plan to add it for all required story Content up through shadowbringers expansion when the existing "trust" system takes over being able to do things with npc party members. The speculation being when the game is no longer profitable as an mmo, they can tweak some things and release it as a stand-alone single player FF game.

They’ve made FF11 very solo friendly so it’s a bit of the same with FF14 sounds like. I’ve been seriously considering a full playthrough of 11 and from the reading I’ve done it’s completely possible without a party of other players where it used to not be.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

One of the biggest cons I've noticed so far with XVI is that there's no banter with your party in the open areas and they're kind of just there.

I don't hate the combat system but I like 7R's a lot more so far.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Big Bowie Bonanza posted:

As someone who doesn’t love deep rpg mechanics this game was made for me

As someone who sucks at video games and doesn't want anything TOO hard this game was made for me.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

triple sulk posted:

One of the biggest cons I've noticed so far with XVI is that there's no banter with your party in the open areas and they're kind of just there.

Oh yeah FF7's combat is the perfect sweet spot for me

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Add 16's precision dodges and parries to 7R's combat (or, better yet, 7 Rebirth's combat with the dual techs they've shown off) and that'd be a 10/10 from me

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

triple sulk posted:

No! Trust me this is a good thing. So many games are doing party banter and developers are incapable of finding a middle ground. This is better.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
I didn't like how much you had to control your party members sometimes in FF7R; if you want a very action-focused game, managing a full party is a bit too much. I wish they'd been a little more proactive without manual control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I really enjoyed hopping between party members frequently in 7R, but I can understand why someone wouldn't. An optional mode that makes them a bit more autonomous wouldn't be a bad thing for Rebirth I think, even if I wouldn't necessarily use it myself.