Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

KillHour posted:

I'm going to go ahead and say the cost of running halogen headlights from 20 years ago is probably a lot higher than the cost of running LED DRLs.

Yes, though I wonder if increased collision detection etc would also decrease the number of lives saved. It would be an interesting problem to run back.

On another note, those running lights got me pulled over in Canada once. I flew up there and rented a car and thought my headlights were on, just really dim since I had no idea what running lights were. Luckily the police took pity on my ignorance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

What kind of meat is it?

Can I finally sate my . . . Hunger? All the pork they sell is so short

Velocity Raptor
Jul 27, 2007

I MADE A PROMISE
I'LL DO ANYTHING

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What kind of meat is it?

Perhaps you could make a modest proposal?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

In other news, Budweiser's doing its best to woo back the Bubba crowd:

https://twitter.com/budlight/status/1671896007851020290

(Yes, there's a Black guy who appears briefly but he kinda looks Bubba too.)

Ahh. After weeks of using Blueblocker, it had been a while since I saw it just mass-vaporize bluecheck chuds when I click on a Tweet.

But this one was delicious. Just hordes of whiny chuds vanishing as soon as they load.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Josef bugman posted:

I mean, do you think that busses somehow cannot work in rural environs at all? I would think that in truly rural areas you'd still be able to do a quick form fill in and get a car if required, but I think busses could work for larger rural areas or collective car pools to help out.

I don't really understand the hostility tbh.

They really wouldn't. The nice thing is that they don't really have to, because way more people (and cars!) are in major urban metro areas. Even if all 8000 residents of Nowhereville, Wyoming have their own personal vehicles and drive them ten miles a day, that's not all that much carbon compared to the estimated 1,370,000 people who regularly commute by car across county lines in the Bay Area.

Areas where the population density is so low as to make public transit unworkable are, by definition, areas where there are relatively few people and therefore relatively few cars. Rather than worrying about them, it would have a much bigger impact if we worked to reduce the number of people who commute by car in densely-populated urban areas which already have public transit.

The 80/20 principle fits well here. There's a small minority of people who live in areas where it would be nearly impossible to eliminate car ownership, but there's a fuckton of people who live in areas where it's fairly workable. There's not a lot of point in worrying about the former when there's still plenty of work that can be done to target the latter. Yeah, it's really hard to completely eliminate car ownership in rural areas, but why worry too much that when 80% of the US population lives in urban areas, and 69% of annual vehicle-miles traveled are in urban areas? Yeah, you can see from those statistics that rural travel is overrepresented compared to the population...but you can also see that despite that, urban travel still makes up a clear majority of car usage in the US, despite the fact that urban areas are much more suited to public transit.

Rather than worrying about whether car usage is practical to completely eliminate nationwide in all cases, let's focus on the many places and situations in which it is reasonably practical to replace cars. No sense getting too caught up in the really really hard stuff when there's plenty of relatively easy stuff we have yet to accomplish!

Mellow Seas posted:

Yeah, I'm very sympathetic to the "get rid of cars" idea but the fact is that we have trillions of dollars in infrastructure that no transit system is ever going to reach. If we want to use any of it, we are going to need some form of standalone vehicle indefinitely; we can only really hope to minimize that need, not eliminate it.

I really thought autonomous vehicles would help, but it seems like public opinion has turned decisively against them for now (thanks mostly to Elon Musk being a giant hubristic rear end in a top hat.) I understand people's safety concerns but considering the low bar human operation of vehicles sets, they could actually be safer not too long from now. (Of course, that's safer statistically - I feel like people may be more comfortable with 40,000 deaths they can "blame on" somebody than 10,000 caused by an algorithm misfiring.)

They would make car sharing way more practical (hopefully drastically reducing individual ownership) and lessen parking requirements, allowing for more density for more non-car travel.

Probably bigger. And the land use impacts of car reliance is reinforce car reliance by making things get built too far apart for walking or biking to be a realistic option.

Fully-autonomous vehicles are, at least for the immediately foreseeable future, a pipe dream. Real-world road environments are just too complex and unpredictable, with way too many edge cases. There's a lot of automation that can be done to make the work of driving easier (although there's some indications that this might not actually make things safer, given the impact these automated systems seem to have on driver attention), but elimination of human drivers is unlikely.

They also don't really anything to facilitate car sharing or reduce parking requirements, unless you're imagining replacing personal car ownership with autonomous taxi networks. And if that's the case, then the "autonomous" part isn't really a game-changer, as human-driven car services will have a similar impact - and thus we can look at existing "rideshare" networks like Uber and Lyft to see how effective that would be at reducing car use. And as it turns out, the answer is "pretty bad, actually"! Numerous studies into "rideshare" networks like Uber and Lyft have found that they tend to actually increase traffic and vehicle-miles driven, while reducing usage of public transit and other car alternatives, and don't reduce private car ownership at all. Being more convenient than public transit and other car alternatives means that they largely take riders from car alternatives, and the number of vehicle-miles the Uber travels with no passenger between trips (30 to 60 percent of miles traveled, depending on who you ask) more than makes up for any reduction in vehicle-miles from having passengers.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Have all the unions gotten all of their demands with all of the rail companies? Last time I had checked in on this a lot of them were making progress but rail companies were still holding out on agreements with unions representing Engineers, the people who would have the most impact if they called out sick.
No not all of them. Not all unions have gotten agreements and not all companies have made them. But it seems like the unions and companies that haven't struck deals yet are still working on them.

As of June 5 it appeared that Union Pacific had given sick days to its engineers, and that Norfolk Southern had given them to all unionized employees, so at least at those two companies engineers are covered. This Reuters story from over two weeks ago says about 60% of workers had received the sick days; if the 80% figure Leon gives is directly comparable then it suggests deals are happening pretty quickly.

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/mo...t%20Principles.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
Americans still pretty solidly support tipping culture and tip across various industries, but about 1/3 of Americans think tipping culture has gotten out of control.

- Even though only about 33% of Americans think tipping/tipping culture itself is too much, about 66% of Americans say that standard rates for tips have gotten too high in the last few years.

- A rising number of Americans think that restaurants should pay their staff better and rely less on tips, but it is still a minority with only about 40% feeling that way.

- The average tip size has increased by 1/3 (from 15% to 20%) in the last 10 years.

Study linked in the article:

https://www.bankrate.com/personal-finance/tipping-survey/#always-tip

Chart showing the most commonly tipped professions and frequency with which the average person tips:

Maybe this is me being a bad stereotype for my people, but I find it wild that over half of Americans are tipping their cable installers at least sometimes.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1672238345684938757

quote:

American diners may be reaching a tipping point.

Not long ago, a restaurant tip was a 15 percent gratuity for the server, calculated on a napkin and scrawled on a credit-card receipt at the end of a sit-down meal. The server didn’t know the sum until the diner had departed.

In 2023, tipping, or choosing not to, has expanded into a near-universal ritual of food service. Customers at a humble takeout joint might face a choice among three double-digit gratuities on a touch screen, under the penetrating gaze of a cashier.

Two societal forces, the COVID-19 pandemic and touch-screen point-of-sale tablets, have conspired to transform American tipping culture. The gratuity has colonized the food-service universe, from fast-food restaurants to food trucks to farmers markets.

“My family went strawberry picking last weekend,” said Ted Rossman, a senior industry analyst at Bankrate.com. “I made the reservation. They asked me for a tip. I asked my wife, ‘What are we tipping for?’”

Before the pandemic, most Americans understood the restaurant tip as an elastic reward system for servers, a labor force whose salaries depend on them. Outside of table-service restaurants, gratuities were largely confined to tip jars.

Then, touch screens arrived and changed the tipping dynamic. Counter-service restaurants could present customers with a default tip: 18, 20 or even 25 percent. The easiest response was to pay it.

“They present you with three options, and the middle option is always most appealing,” said Deidre Popovich, an associate professor of marketing at Texas Tech University. “I can just click the default and then move on with my life.”

The pandemic added a moral imperative to the tipping ritual. In many cities, restaurant dining ceased, leaving takeout and delivery as the sole options. Pandemic ethics encouraged diners to tip generously to support idled waitstaff.

Now, the pandemic has waned, and restaurant life has resumed. Yet, the tipping touch screens remain.

“These terminals have the same software program. So, when you buy a black coffee, where the server has not put in any effort, the software asks you for a tip, which can range from 10 percent to 25 percent,” said Vivek Astvansh, assistant professor of marketing at Indiana University. “That is ‘tipflation,’ and people are annoyed.”

Tipflation is a marketing term for the upward trend in expected tips, from the standard 15 percent of decades past to 20 percent and 25 percent and beyond.

“Tip creep” is the spread of touch-screen tipping prompts across the food-service spectrum.

“Tip fatigue” is the backlash from tip-weary diners.

Two-thirds of Americans take a dim view of tipping in 2023, according to a new survey from Bankrate, the consumer finance company.

Nearly one-third of customers believe tipping culture has spiraled out of control, the survey found. A similar share say they don’t like navigating tip choices on touch screens.

“There’s social pressure involved with tipping,” Popovich said. “If the server’s standing there, especially.”

Some of the frustration is more about tipping itself. Two-fifths of diners feel restaurateurs should pay better wages and rely less on tips, a concern that predates the pandemic and touch screens.

Tipping is a unique and, some would argue, a troubling expression of capitalism. The gratuity empowers a customer to reward or withhold a large share of a server’s salary, based on a subjective appraisal of the service.

When the service is bad, “the error could be in the kitchen or in the backroom staff,” Astvansh said. “Most customers don’t see that.”

America’s tipping habit originated in 1800s Europe. Wealthy Americans returned from European vacations and adopted the practice at home.

Following the Civil War, tipping spread across a range of service jobs worked by Black Americans, “to basically continue slavery,” said Saru Jayaraman, director of the Food Labor Research Center at the University of California, Berkeley, in a Time magazine interview. Many white employers refused to pay salaries to Black workers, forcing them to rely on tips.

Many generations later, tipping endures, sustaining a wage system that is hard to imagine in other professions. Consider: A doctor or lawyer or professor or journalist might do subpar work on a given day, but nothing empowers a patient or client or student or reader to withhold a portion of their pay.

With tipping, “I control how much money someone makes,” Astvansh said. “I have the power. That power is bad.”

Outside America, tipping is far from universal: The practice is frowned upon in Japan and China, uncommon in Australia and New Zealand. French restaurants generally add tips to the bill.

In the United States, food-service workers earn higher or lower salaries according to what they collect in tips. The arrangement leaves some diners uneasy.

“As Americans, we have kind of a love-hate relationship with tipping,” Popovich said, “because we think these businesses should be paying their employees a fair wage to begin with.”

Age-old dining etiquette suggests that even a bad server deserves a tip. Yet, not every diner agrees. The Bankrate survey found that only 73 percent of Americans “always tipped” in sit-down restaurants in 2022.

In a YouGov poll, 38 percent of American diners said they generally tip baristas at coffee shops. Three-fifths tip delivery drivers. Two-thirds tip pub and bar staffs.

Another recent survey, from Forbes, found tipping rates of 36 percent at food trucks, 35 percent at coffee shops and 31 percent at takeout restaurants.

Tipping has even spread to the fast-food kingdom. An industry survey from Toast, a management-software firm, found that roughly half of quick-service restaurants, such as Starbucks and McDonald’s, now offer a tipping option, up from 38 percent in 2020.

Some fast-food customers bristle at tip prompts. Others welcome the chance to supplement the modest hourly wages of fast-food workers.

“We’ve transformed our consciousness on what was the purpose of the tip,” said Huy Do, research and insights manager at Datassential, a market-research firm in the food-service industry.

Yet, in the counter-service world, tipping culture remains relatively new. Few diners seem to know when to tip, or how much.

“There should be a new set of rules for delivery, for takeout, for everything,” Popovich said.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 23, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

What kind of meat is it?

I've actually had this conversation with my wife and she thinks I'm insane (and was more than a little creeped out) but I would 100% grow a culture of my own cells to try it if it wasn't insanely expensive.

It would be weirder if it was someone else's though, for some reason.

Edit: Would it be illegal to actually do that? I feel like the laws probably weren't written with that loophole in mind.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Americans still pretty solidly support tipping culture and tip across various industries, but about 1/3 of Americans think tipping culture has gotten out of control.

- Even though only about 33% of Americans think tipping/tipping culture itself is too much, about 66% of Americans say that standard rates for tips have gotten too high in the last few years.

- A rising number of Americans think that restaurants should pay their staff better and rely less on tips, but it is still a minority with only about 40% feeling that way.

- The average tip size has increased by 1/3 (from 15% to 20%) in the last 10 years.

My wife was asked to tip by a shoe repair place recently. It's insane.

I always tip at restaurants, but I will never tip an Uber driver I don't care if I end up a tiny sliver at the very end of the chart.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 23, 2023

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

One strange result: In their analysis of the last decade of data, they also note that 2016 had a very large increase in traffic fatalities that reversed decades of improvements, but they have no data that can conclusively prove why.

https://www.ghsa.org/resources/Pedestrians23

Let’s correlate this with Smart Phone use.

As a daily cyclist I observe drivers looking at their phones and not the road.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls

Maybe this is me being a bad stereotype for my people, but I find it wild that over half of Americans are tipping their cable installers at least sometimes.

Probably outing myself here but yeah its hard to feel like it hasn't gotten out of control. When I was growing up tipping was explicitly for jobs where you had a server. As in, someone that actually brought your food to you, refilled your drinks, etc. It wasn't expected you'd tip for your coffee, or a fast food meal, or any other random area. Nowadays literally every PoS terminal pops up a tipping section, even at loving Five Guys and Starbucks. Went to a street fair and every booth had their PoS configured to ask for a tip.

At this point I figure its only a matter of time before I start getting tipping screens at Safeway and Taco Bell.

In contrast, Japan is nice because there's no tipping culture. What you owe is on the bill.

We need to actually pay these people actual living wages and then take tipping culture out behind the shed.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Study linked in the article:

https://www.bankrate.com/personal-finance/tipping-survey/#always-tip

Chart showing the most commonly tipped professions and frequency with which the average person tips:

I think people just have to get over pushing "no tip" on those tablets. I waited tables for about 5 or 6 years in or around college so it's not like I'm coming from an ivory tower perspective, but when I go to a register and checkout and it's asking me for a tip, I need to know who's getting that tip. Is it going to the guy who fixed my food? The guy who is checking me out? Are any of them making tip wages? Or is the owner/operator just pocketing that money? My roommate -and everyone else at the bakery he works at - just quit and are filing complaints because they found out that the proprietor had secretly pocketed $4500 in tips relating to about 1/3rd of their business last year so who knows how much she actually stole from her employees. I suspect there's a lot of that going around. I mean there was a lot of that going around before hand, owners skimming tips they aren't entitled to was common before everyone had a tablet at POS.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m done with tipping outside of the customary services like waiting, food delivery, and gig work. Everybody’s got their hand out for a tip now, even automated cashiers. The payment services get a cut off the entire transaction so they’re highly motivated to push tipping everywhere.

zoux posted:

I mean there was a lot of that going around before hand, owners skimming tips they aren't entitled to was common before everyone had a tablet at POS.

Yeah when I worked at a coffee shop the owner always took a cut of the tips when she was around.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 23, 2023

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Tiny Timbs posted:

I’m done with tipping outside of the customary services like waiting, food delivery, and gig work. Everybody’s got their hand out for a tip now, even automated cashiers. The payment services get a cut off the entire transaction so they’re highly motivated to push tipping everywhere.

Waiting for the self checkout line at Walmart to default to selecting a tip to know we're truly in the future dystopia we were always promised.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Main Paineframe posted:

Fully-autonomous vehicles are, at least for the immediately foreseeable future, a pipe dream. Real-world road environments are just too complex and unpredictable, with way too many edge cases.
I mean, that matches my intuitive sense. I don't know how it's actually shaken out in testing data, though.

You could maybe look at restricting AVs to more well-maintained roads with higher design standards - state roads, high-volume local roads, etc - to prevent the need to deal with unusual or unpredictable situations. (And of course, if you were able to eliminate human drivers the cars could perform even better with a networked "consciousness.")

But even if the technological problem were solved I just can't see people getting on board after Tesla ruined the tech's reputation overnight.

Main Paineframe posted:

They also don't really anything to facilitate car sharing or reduce parking requirements, unless you're imagining replacing personal car ownership with autonomous taxi networks.
I am imaging the creation of an autonomous taxi network, granted, over a long period of time, because people like their personal cars. But make it cheaper enough as an alternative to owning and people will move over.

Main Paineframe posted:

And if that's the case, then the "autonomous" part isn't really a game-changer, as human-driven car services will have a similar impact ... Numerous studies into "rideshare" networks like Uber and Lyft have found that they tend to actually increase traffic and vehicle-miles driven, while reducing usage of public transit and other car alternatives, and don't reduce private car ownership at all.
I don't think that a fleet of autonomous vehicles would be directly comparable to Uber or Lyft at all. Just because the human drivers get paid lovely doesn't mean that they don't represent a massive expensive for a passenger. The reimbursement rate for car travel set by the DOE is 58 cents per mile - an uber costs $1-$2 per mile, depending on the demand, so if you buy a car for $20,000 you've said money over taking rideshares by the time you hit 20 or 30,000 miles, add in insurance and you maybe get up to 50,000. If the price of taking a rideshare was more comparable to the cost of driving your own car, but without the need for storage, maintenance or insurance, far more people would use such a service than want to get in Chuck's Honda Odyssey to pay three times what it would take them to drive somewhere.

Main Paineframe posted:

Being more convenient than public transit and other car alternatives means that they largely take riders from car alternatives, and the number of vehicle-miles the Uber travels with no passenger between trips (30 to 60 percent of miles traveled, depending on who you ask) more than makes up for any reduction in vehicle-miles from having passengers.
It may cause an increase in VMT to have an autonomous fleet go to a parking facility when not in use, or to have the logistics work out where one has to drive a decent distance between trips. But how does that compare to the land use impacts of parking? What if the autonomous cars tended to be lighter and more efficient than the personal cars they replaced? What if, over the long term, reduced demand for parking led to denser development and reduced the length of trips?

Anyway, it is all "pipe dream" stuff, like you say, because of the sheer amount of social engineering this would all take. But I think it would be a good long term goal to set for 50, 100 years from now and work towards.

I don't want to discount transit at all. Unlike my imaginary automated electric vehicle fleet it can help us right now. Any place where transit can be useful we should be building an absolute fuckton of it - and it should be free to use. Fares don't come close to covering actual costs and are used to discourage too much ridership, which is the exact opposite of what we should be trying to do with our busses, subways and light rail right now.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jun 23, 2023

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

KillHour posted:

Waiting for the self checkout line at Walmart to default to selecting a tip to know we're truly in the future dystopia we were always promised.
Good news!

https://twitter.com/theisaacmed/status/1664719419686154241

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

Main Paineframe posted:

Areas where the population density is so low as to make public transit unworkable are, by definition, areas where there are relatively few people and therefore relatively few cars. Rather than worrying about them, it would have a much bigger impact if we worked to reduce the number of people who commute by car in densely-populated urban areas which already have public transit.
This is a very important point. There is some nuance with personal vehicles, but the vast majority of people don't need them.

quote:

Fully-autonomous vehicles are, at least for the immediately foreseeable future, a pipe dream. Real-world road environments are just too complex and unpredictable, with way too many edge cases. There's a lot of automation that can be done to make the work of driving easier (although there's some indications that this might not actually make things safer, given the impact these automated systems seem to have on driver attention), but elimination of human drivers is unlikely.
I've floated this idea in the CSPAM car thread to a mixed reception, but low-speed autonomous minibuses or w/e could have a niche in solving the last-mile problem, as feeders to larger-scale transit modes in suburban areas. In those kind of applications, it's not a big deal if it only reaches 30 km/hr or whatever. That would significantly ameliorate a lot of the risk.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I want tipping to go away similar to how I want all displayed prices to include taxes and whatnot. It's just stupid prices can't be honest and businesses want to pass the buck so you get mad at the government for making your stuff more expensive.

oh hey, and the other thing I wanted to complain about is right here: 15% now seems to be signposted as a "small" tip by a lot of these terminals and delivery app.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I looked around and - without getting into some deep professional database poo poo, which I suppose I could do but don't really want to - I can't figure out how crash rates have trended over the last three or four years. Someone mentioned something earlier about a limited study in Washington (?) suggesting crashes were down.

If crashes are up, then that would be evidence that smartphones and other forms of distraction are to blame. If crashes are down, but fatalities are up anyway, it would suggest that vehicle design is the bigger problem.

(A higher rate of fatalities per crash could probably also reflect a small subset of the population suddenly starting to drive like absolute maniacs, making them much more likely to careen off an embankment relative to rear-ending someone at 10 mph.)

It's hard to google crash data because the results get swamped by a bunch of stuff about traffic deaths. I might try to look some more later, but if anybody has seen anything I'd love to see it too.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Jun 23, 2023

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I can’t understand so many people wanting to keep tipping culture. It’s crazy to me that it exists but it’s extra crazy to me that a lot of people like it.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

The only people I know who enjoy tipping culture are the ones that enjoy lording over people. Get rid of tipping culture.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Mellow Seas posted:

I looked around and - without getting into some deep professional database poo poo, which I suppose I could do but don't really want to - I can't figure out how crash rates have trended over the last three or four years. Someone mentioned something earlier about a limited study in Washington (?) suggesting crashes were down.

If crashes are up, then that would be evidence that smartphones and other forms of distraction are to blame. If crashes are down, but fatalities are up anyway, it would suggest that vehicle design is the bigger problem.

It's hard to google crash data because the results get swamped by a bunch of stuff about traffic deaths. I might try to look some more later, but if anybody has seen anything I'd love to see it too.

The data is available on a lot of state government stats sites, but a lot of them require accounts or otherwise annoying to use and you've gotta assemble the relevant data into one place yourself.

this lawyer website has the WA state statistics I was referring to. I spot checked them against the actual data from WA DOT and they are so far as I could tell, accurate. But are not cross-referenced to miles driven.

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The data is available on a lot of state government stats sites, but a lot of them require accounts or otherwise annoying to use and you've gotta assemble the relevant data into one place yourself.
Yeah, I have access to the Connecticut one, although I'm not sure how easy it is to get statewide totals (I mostly use it to examine specific locations). I'll take a look before I log off the ol' workstation today.

e: I did find this easily-accessible thing: https://www.ctcrash.uconn.edu/dashboards/CEA.html
It's hard to see much of a trend. Crashes from 2021-2022 look roughly flat, and fatalities were too. (Check out the week of January 5, 2022. What a crazy outlier. It was during the Omicron wave peak and I think about 90% of Connecticut had Covid on that date. Maybe long covid is making people worse drivers.)

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jun 23, 2023

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I can’t understand so many people wanting to keep tipping culture. It’s crazy to me that it exists but it’s extra crazy to me that a lot of people like it.
I think it's less that people like it, and more that they're apathetic.

But I think the likers fall into two categories:
1) People who like having that "leverage" over their server for one reason or another. I know some people who think servers would be worse without tips, or have complaints about times they went to a restaurant in a country without tipping and had bad service. I think there is some slight truth, a server is almost certainly likely to be more "appeasing" to customers for tips, but it's also just kind of a lovely system.
2) The servers who do actually make far more on tips then a standardized wage, and don't (currently) mind the song and dance to do so. I don't really like that people bring this group up as the reason why tips will never go away, or just kind of use it as a general scapegoat.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

How much do you guys tip your landlord each month?

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

pencilhands posted:

Depends - is he standing next to a railing?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Oxyclean posted:

oh hey, and the other thing I wanted to complain about is right here: 15% now seems to be signposted as a "small" tip by a lot of these terminals and delivery app.

I’m told/read often/see people opine on reels that 15% is now cheap and “at least 20% because I worked in service so I know” is the standard. I could have sworn in college I was taking a math pedagogy class and we had a whole project exercise based around calculating the standard 15% tip and using the exercise to pick apart how people approach mental math. So that’s definitely creeped up (with every other price in the economy).

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Meatball posted:

Could a public Uber type program work? They don't own cars, but can make a call and get one.

LA already does this

https://micro.metro.net/

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

pencilhands posted:

rent - (property tax + mortgage + pittance for upkeep)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I don't know how you stop tipping "culture" (ugh) without legislation. Who else is going to make the first move? The customer who's now an rear end in a top hat for stiffing the staff? The staff who tell the customers "no really, please stiff me?" The business who wants to stiff the staff themselves?

My dog's groomer does a great job, but her POS screen has a 30% tip option for a job that already can run north of $100, and she owns the business so the money's going to her anyway. It's a bit nuts.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Yiggy posted:

I’m told/read often/see people opine on reels that 15% is now cheap and “at least 20% because I worked in service so I know” is the standard. I could have sworn in college I was taking a math pedagogy class and we had a whole project exercise based around calculating the standard 15% tip and using the exercise to pick apart how people approach mental math. So that’s definitely creeped up (with every other price in the economy).

I’m in my mid 30s and 20% has been what I’ve considered to be the standard “good” tip my entire life. I wonder if that’s regional?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Elimination of the tipped minimum wage is a necessary step. Ideally that would just make all the food service places raise their listed prices by [normal tip]% and pass that on to the staff, but it's going to be pretty disruptive

I’m in my mid 30s and 20% has been what I’ve considered to be the standard “good” tip my entire life. I wonder if that’s regional?

I think it's regional and also depends on your local cost of living. 20% has been standard in NYC for as long as I can remember

Kalit
Nov 6, 2006

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

haveblue posted:

Elimination of the tipped minimum wage is a necessary step. Ideally that would just make all the food service places raise their listed prices by [normal tip]% and pass that on to the staff, but it's going to be pretty disruptive

I think it's regional and also depends on your local cost of living. 20% has been standard in NYC for as long as I can remember

Oh wow, I was thinking that quite a few states had no separate tipped minimum wage, but I guess only 7 do

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
gently caress anyone other than restaurants asking for tips. It's essentially asking customers to subsidize the costs of inflation because they can't or won't pay their employees more.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with tipping, like the problem with the rest of America generally, is that we are one giant collapsing prisoner's dilemma and anyone who tries to cooperate in any way is just exposing their soft rich belly meat to everyone else.

Capitalism has found a way to exploit people's generosity and its gonna keep hitting that button till it breaks.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Tayter Swift posted:

I don't know how you stop tipping "culture" (ugh) without legislation. Who else is going to make the first move? The customer who's now an rear end in a top hat for stiffing the staff? The staff who tell the customers "no really, please stiff me?" The business who wants to stiff the staff themselves?

My dog's groomer does a great job, but her POS screen has a 30% tip option for a job that already can run north of $100, and she owns the business so the money's going to her anyway. It's a bit nuts.
I think eliminating min wage tiers would be a start - I know some places allow for lower min wage if the person makes tips. That said in a lot of cases that might just translate to "okay they're now paid full min wage, but people still tip because they're used to tipping and so people in turn expect tips."

I've definitely gotten into stupid internet arguments with people who think the right move is to simply stop tipping. For places that you never tipped at before and now are asking for it? Sure. But if you want to boycott tipping it seems more impactful to simply just not eat out or order in then it is to just stiff an individual who will probably just think you're an rear end in a top hat.

Professor Beetus posted:

gently caress anyone other than restaurants asking for tips. It's essentially asking customers to subsidize the costs of inflation because they can't or won't pay their employees more.
I mean, restaurants are basically doing this to. We've just decided it feels more acceptable (because they have legalized "pay employees less")

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

It seems to be mostly three groups:

1) People who have status quo bias/just think "That's how it has always been. It's fine."

2) People who enjoy lording it over people

Some restaurants tried to end tipping and they found that customers hated the higher menu prices and hated not having power over the server.

Customers all rated the restaurants lower and assumed they were getting worse service regardless of what kind of service they got. They felt that without the tip, they had no way to render a judgement on their service. People were willing to end up paying a higher total cost with the tip if they felt like they had the ability to express their satisfaction/dissatisfaction with the meal.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/annals-of-gastronomy/the-limitations-of-american-restaurants-no-tipping-experiment

3) Tipped workers in certain professions (especially food service)

Even though tipped workers make less money on average than hourly workers, if you work in a high-end restaurant or get lucky with a very generous client, then you can get a large daily earning. Many tipped workers like that large boost (even if they end up losing out overall with a bunch of dead days during the week) or they are in the group that is above average and actually does make more via tips than they would with a salary/hourly rate.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Right, but imo it's immoral to stop tipping at restaurants as some sort of statement because there is a legal carve out by which they are paid less than minimum wage. That carve out should be eliminated and it is I will happily stop tipping them too. Quarterly pest control guy? gently caress off with that poo poo.

One exception: I will always tip my stylist, because I want the person I trust with making me look good to be very happy with my patronage.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

Right, but imo it's immoral to stop tipping at restaurants as some sort of statement because there is a legal carve out by which they are paid less than minimum wage. That carve out should be eliminated and it is I will happily stop tipping them too. Quarterly pest control guy? gently caress off with that poo poo.

One exception: I will always tip my stylist, because I want the person I trust with making me look good to be very happy with my patronage.

Yup. A stylist is an artist and probably the person most responsible for how you're initially physically perceived (after yourself), and a good one is hard to find.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Professor Beetus posted:

I hate how they've managed to twist it to somehow being the employee's fault.
"Well if we pay these lazy ingrates (who, by the way, put the cheese on your burger slightly off center, and they're asking for more money!?), then we're just going to jack up the prices by eleventy billion percent, so you're going to be paying for it anyways."

Randalor posted:

The only people I know who enjoy tipping culture are the ones that enjoy lording over people. Get rid of tipping culture.

I'm constantly reminded of, I think it was a chain email or just some sort of Facebook post, of the dickhead who explains that when he goes to a restaurant he puts 5 singles on the edge of the table in clear sight, and for every minor infraction he deems the server committed, he visibly pulls one of the bills away, and if anything is left at the end of the meal, that's their tip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Professor Beetus posted:

Yes, absolutely. They need to be paid a living wage first.