Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Huh, my first encounter with the concept was this book:

https://www.publishersweekly.com/9780553561166

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
I don't post in TG that often so I don't know which thread is the most appropriate for this but my usual group did a FIST campaign last night and boy oh boy do I love this system/setting. It's sort of a mix between Hellboy, X-Files, Metal Gear Solid, and The A-Team? Sending in a group of mercenaries with special powers to do black ops missions in an alternate 1980s setting. Loved it, can't wait to dig in more and maybe write some of my own adventures for this.

Our DM also created some "Transmissions" that turned the usual exposition dump into a short radio play, added a lot of flavor to the whole thing. What a swell guy.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I don't post in TG that often so I don't know which thread is the most appropriate for this but my usual group did a FIST campaign last night and boy oh boy do I love this system/setting. It's sort of a mix between Hellboy, X-Files, Metal Gear Solid, and The A-Team? Sending in a group of mercenaries with special powers to do black ops missions in an alternate 1980s setting. Loved it, can't wait to dig in more and maybe write some of my own adventures for this.

Our DM also created some "Transmissions" that turned the usual exposition dump into a short radio play, added a lot of flavor to the whole thing. What a swell guy.

I bought FIST the other week and am still dying to run it. Your experience sounds very promising!! The Traits Index is solid gold and I've stolen many traits for magic item powers in my current D&D campaign.

Did you guys use a pre-made adventure?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

HOMOEROTIC JESUS posted:

I bought FIST the other week and am still dying to run it. Your experience sounds very promising!! The Traits Index is solid gold and I've stolen many traits for magic item powers in my current D&D campaign.

Did you guys use a pre-made adventure?

Yeah, we used: https://claymorerpgs.itch.io/ataraxia

That transmission at the beginning is what he recorded, then added static and gunfire to make it sound like an audio log you'd pick up in a video game or something. Very cool setting.

My character was an Android with the Puppetmaster trait, so the actual fight with the Mech became an opposing roll each combat turn to determine whether or not I was able to wrestle control of this thing away from the Commissar, while the other members of the team protected me from guards and tried to get me into a better position to control it using their powers.

I love the traits system. I'm very much now in the camp where I prefer getting like 1 or 2 random abilities and then trying to find the class/archetype of the character through where those naturally go rather than starting at "you're a wizard, so you have these potential powers and that's it", and this works perfectly for the former.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Is there an F&F of FIST?

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Weirdly, the DTRPG "full-size preview" of FIST is basically the entire book. I'm not sure about posting that here but there doesn't seem to be any way to notify the author privately - posting on the DTRPG or itchio page would obviously be a horrible idea.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Found this blog post from a blogger I'm not familiar with, which does some financial analysis of producing an RPG with art and how much you should expect to make from writing (read: good luck with that). Since I've always been curious about producing independent products, I find the arguments raised interesting and I figure some people here may also find them interesting.

RPGs and The High Cost Of Art
https://loottheroom.uk/rpgs-and-the-high-cost-of-art

Also, linked in the "Appendix" of the blog post was this Grand Campaign Hex Crawl called Wolves Upon the Coast by lukegearing. Of note is that there are around 540 "keyed hexes", which I assume means locations that are detailed. Might be wrong on that. Also the price for the hexcrawl is $50. Anyone heard of this product? I'm curious if it is selling at that price.

https://lukegearing.itch.io/wolves-upon-the-coast-grand-campaign

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Helical Nightmares posted:

Also, linked in the "Appendix" of the blog post was this Grand Campaign Hex Crawl called Wolves Upon the Coast by lukegearing. Of note is that there are around 540 "keyed hexes", which I assume means locations that are detailed. Might be wrong on that. Also the price for the hexcrawl is $50. Anyone heard of this product? I'm curious if it is selling at that price.

A keyed hex is a hex on a hex map that has an accompanying key (like a dungeon map + key, but there's often lots of hexes without accompanying key entries, whereas empty rooms that are unkeyed are far less common in dungeons). In Wolves Upon The Coast, that can range from a 20-room dungeon to a monster lair to an interesting feature.

I can't remember exactly where I saw it to link to the graph here, but Luke Gearing has posted a graph of the sales numbers somewhere and was quite happy with them overall. (For an OSR product, I'm sure it'd be outnumbered by an official D&D book or something.)

But why it was probably linked deserves a mention regarding payment: Gearing was upfront about Wolves always costing $50 when complete, but he gave proportional discounts to people who bought in earlier when he had less done. So a good number of people bought in at like $5 or $10, then were able to go "okay, this stuff is good" and promote it to their friends who bought in at higher prices, and now there's a large amount of good word of mouth with the final product at $50.

e: found his blog discussing pricing and sales: https://lukegearing.blot.im/wolves-upon-the-coast-grand-retrospective-2

Something Else
Dec 27, 2004

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I bought Wolves Upon the Coast at $50. It's a very impressive work of gameable setting creation. I'll probably pay $50 again when the print version comes out.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Found this blog post from a blogger I'm not familiar with, which does some financial analysis of producing an RPG with art and how much you should expect to make from writing (read: good luck with that). Since I've always been curious about producing independent products, I find the arguments raised interesting and I figure some people here may also find them interesting.

As Peter Adkinson likes to say "The best way to make a small fortune in RPGs is to start with a large one." I wish he had said that before i wrote him a check for 25k to start a new game company but that's on me.

My buddy and i spent two years on So77, and we each came away with a couple grand, I did the math once and it was like a little less than 4 dollars an hour for writing, layout, graphic design, promotion and everything else I did for that project.

Successful independent full-time RPG creators are astronaut rare, they're either workaholics constantly busting their rear end, business geniuses who could be making a lot more money doing anything else, or they've found some sort of hack that lets them produce mass content on the cheap. If you are not at least one of those things if not two or three of them you stand no chance.

It's the nature of the business, your core audience is also your competition, everyone knows that they could make their own content(even at lower quality), so they don't value it as highly. The only way to sell is to do it cheap enough that they won't bother to do it themselves.

Simply put, if you want to make money, you're better off driving for Uber, or working at an Amazon warehouse than writing RPGs.
That said, if I had it to do over I would still make So77, it made me a lot of lifelong friends, taught me valuable skills and gave me something that I could point at and say "I Made That" which helped me in my career in so many ways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
So77 is one of my favorite games, and backing it felt right. You should feel good about it, because you absolutely nailed the tone.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Yeah, I find it hilarious that the first comment was by someone suggesting trying to pay artists in exposure.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, I find it hilarious that the first comment was by someone suggesting trying to pay artists in exposure.

That's the vilest thing I've heard all day, and I've been reading open Internet commentary about that missing submersible.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The blog using unreadably small images while talking about art and design makes me question literally everything they say.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Toshimo posted:

The blog using unreadably small images while talking about art and design makes me question literally everything they say.

High-def screenshots were too expensive.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

hyphz posted:

Weirdly, the DTRPG "full-size preview" of FIST is basically the entire book. I'm not sure about posting that here but there doesn't seem to be any way to notify the author privately - posting on the DTRPG or itchio page would obviously be a horrible idea.

Are you sure? It looks like the first half of the Ultra edition, which is ~160 pages. The preview stops at 78 or so, halfway through the optional rules. Seems like a weird cutoff point, but it doesn't include the large amount of randomized content, which feels like one of the big things FIST has going for it.

Edit: it kind of looks like it cuts off at GM information, but not exactly.

Twobirds fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 23, 2023

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Yo tengo un par de ideas.
Is it ok if I share a TTRPG related story in this thread?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

trapstar posted:

First, you must save vs. wands, staves and rods.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

trapstar posted:

First you must answer my riddles three.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Riddle the first: what are two riddles you don't know the answer to

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

trapstar posted:

:justpost:

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

Talissa

Cousin Willlem

Talissa Cotrell was born in a small village on the Great Isle within the lands of the Petty Kingdom of Dendarid. She lived a comfortable life although the king, Arden IV, while a benevolent man to his subjects, was war-like and often engaged in petty wars with neighboring rulers.

Since Talissa’s mother died in childbirth, she lived with her cousin Willem and her father's sister Joanna. According to her Aunt Joanna, Talissa’s father Sam was a no-good scoundrel who abandoned her after her mother died. Talissa grew up in the village with Willem becoming like her brother and Aunt Joanna serving as her mother. Although Willem and Talissa would often bicker and tease each other, Talissa loved her cousin and her Aunt. She had but one keepsake from her mother, a pendant that her Aunt had told her she must never remove under any circumstances.

Eventually, word spread throughout the land that the Great Seeress had announced a prophecy in which a new youth would become ruler of all the land and bring an end to these dark times. The people in the village scoffed at this, saying “That elf has surely lost her mind.” But Aunt Joanna assured Willem and Talissa that what the Great Seeress said was the truth.

One day Talissa heard Willem going on about the prophecy to some kids his age, who started laughing at him. Talissa stepped in to intervene. Samantha, a girl who Talissa had grown to despise greatly, interjected, “MY father said that that old elf has lost her mind. He said that she's lost the gift and now she’s just making things up to save face.”

“That isn’t true!” Talissa retorted.

“Haha,” Samantha chuckled, ”What would you know?” Eyeing Talissa up and down, she added, “Look at you, such a plain looking girl. Oh and still wearing that ugly little necklace you got handed down from your dead mother.”

Talissa's eyes started to well and she did something she had never done before. She removed her mothers pendant and stuffed it into her clothing pouch. Afterward she ran off crying. Samantha just laughed. “Too bad that won’t fix the rest of what's wrong with you.”

Willem chased after Talissa as she ran into the woods. Eventually he came upon her sobbing in the woods. He walked up to her, removed her arms from her eyes and said, “Don’t worry about what Samantha said, Talissa. Nothing she said is true.''

The tears started to fade from Talissa’s eyes and she gave Willem a great big hug. Her mother’s pendant fell from her pocket and dropped to the ground. Willem picked it up and handed it to her.

“Here, best put this on so you don't lose it.”

Talissa smiled and put on the pendant, more confident now in herself than she was before. As they walked through the wood toward the village they heard sounds of screaming. They ran to see what was going on, taking cover behind a rock. The village was in flames. People were being pursued and hacked down by the most horrifying creatures they had ever seen - walking skeletons armed in chainmail and wielding rusty weapons.

Willem and Talissa looked at each other and each shouted at the same time, “Mom! Aunt Joanna.” Then Talissa said, “On the count of three” to which Willem nodded. “One, two, three....” Everything went dark.

Talissa woke up riding a horse through the countryside, with her hands tied up and Willem riding in front of her still asleep. “Wake up!” she nudged Willem. He slowly faded out of his daze. In front was a man in traveling gear wearing a cloak. He seemed to be in his mid-30s to early 40s.

Willem finally came to his senses and asked Talissa, “Where are we?”

Talissa just nodded towards the man. And she asked, “Where are you taking us?”

The man paused for a minute, turned around and pulled out a knife. “Promise you won’t run and I’ll untie you.”

Willem replied, “Fat chance!”

“Shhhhhhh,” Talissa murmured toward Willem. “Who are you? And what do you want with us?” Talissa then inquired.

“I’m Jerrick,” he replied. “I just saved your lives back there.”

Willem’s mind pondered this for a second and then he exclaimed, “You cast a sleep spell on us!”

The man retorted, “That I did lad, good thing too, the couple of yous were about to go and git yourselves killed back there.”

“We promise we won’t run,” Talissa said, lying through her teeth.

“I hope your word isn’t as good as yer father’s there lass.”

Talissa paused. “Y-y-you know my father?”

Willem sighed. “She’s not gonna leave now that you mentioned Uncle Samuel.”

“Precisely,” Jerrick said.

“So tell me about my father.” Talissa started to hound Jerrick.

“Sam? Haven’t talked to him in I’d say around 14 years.”

Talissa looked at Jerrick with a scowl on her face. Jerrick changed the subject.

“You see that pendant on your neck?”

Talissa nodded curiously. “It was my mother’s.”

“Never take that off,” Jerrick sternly interjected. “Else he can find you wherever you are.”

“Who’s he?” Talissa asked.

“I’ll explain later,” Jerrick replied. “Did your aunt tell you anything about your mother’s heritage?” he asked.

Tallisa and Willem both welled up in tears. Jerrick just looked down solemnly and said, “I apologize. You two must be starving.”

He pulled out a knapsack, produced some food rations and handed one each to Talissa and Willem. Willem and Talissa both took these and started to consume them with sadness still in their eyes.

“How about something to take yer mind off everything? Huh?” he said.

He turned to Talissa then to Willem. “Your cousin here seems pretty well to have your back, after all he was willing to die at your side back there.”

Talissa nodded and Willem took the compliment in stride. Jerrick stopped the horse and beckoned Talissa and Willem off. He pulled out a sword and spoke to Willem.

“Watch.”

He made many flowing movements and asked Willem to repeat them with a stick. Then he reached into the horses saddle and pulled out a sword, smaller than his yet still a sword. Steel clashed. Jerrick was a surprisingly considerate and patient teacher of the blade. This continued long into the evening.

Satisfied with Willem's grasp of basic swordplay, Jerrick said, “Now remember protecting your cousin’s life is the most important thing in the world right now. Ye got that lad?”

Willem nodded his head and continued practicing as the night went on. Finally, they made camp.

The next morning they set out on their journey. The three came upon a halfling village. There was much celebration being had.

Jerrick said, “We may as well stay here for the night.”

They gathered their things and entered the village. There was much merry-making, dancing, singing and celebration.

Talissa wandered up to one of the halflings and asked, “What is all this celebration for?”

The halfling turned to her with a smile and said, “Why, the return of the Arvingian kings, of course!”

Talissa had almost forgotten the prophecy of the Great Seeress. That night she spent time amongst the halflings of the village. They recited great stories of the times of the ancient Arvingian kings. These tales had been passed down by oral tradition for almost a thousand years. Tallisa pondered what all this meant and went to ask Willem, but he was already almost fast asleep. She’d ask him in the morning. Talissa hunkered down for the night, dreaming of the wild time she had had amongst the halflings.

The next morning, Jerrick set everything to head out bright and early, Talissa wanted to stay, but she knew better than to ask. They traveled far and wide until they came upon a smooth rock surface on a pathway beside the bank of a river. It seemed as though the pathway stopped and led no further. Jerrick went up to a rock protruding out and pushed it with all his might. The earth shook and the smooth stone wall descended, revealing a tunnel. Jerrick quickly moved on and Willem and Talissa followed. The pathway led on for quite some time until it opened up into a room. There stood an old man and a voluptuous elf dressed in seers clothes.

“Welcome to the Dendarid outpost of the Order of the White Lamp, Miss,” the old man exclaimed.

“Huh?” Willem replied.

“Let me see her,'' the elf said as she walked up to Talissa.

Talissa thought at first, but then there was no way it could be true. She asked, “Are you the Great Seeress?”

“That I am, child. As was my grandmother back in the time of the Arvinginian kings.”

“Can you see my future?” Willem interjected.

The seeress replied, “Although my family is bestowed with the gift of foresight, we can only see bits and pieces of the future in glimpses.”

Willem looked at her awestruck.

Jerrick piped up, “Aleena, why don’t you tell the young lass why she’s here.”

The elf seeress turned to Talissa, stroked her cheek and said, “You are destined for great things my child.”

The old man in the room added, “What she means to say, is that you, Miss, are part of a very powerful royal bloodline. The Arvingians no less. I am Lowell. Loremaster of the Order of the White Lamp. And let me say, Miss, your ancestors have no shortage of great deeds to their name. You come from a truly blessed house of kings.”

Talissa didn’t know what to say. The last of the Arvingians had ruled almost 1000 years ago. Since then the Great Isle had been a land torn asunder by war.

Talissa looked down at her mothers pendant.

“Yes, that heirloom has been passed down through your family for generations.”' Lowell went on. “Ever since our founder Eurus Attrillian whisked away your ancestor to save him from Vandervax’s attack.”

“Vandervax?” Talissa asked.

“The pendant keeps you safe from his scrying.” Aleena added.

“Who is Vandervax and why do I have to worry about being safe from him if this all happened almost a thousand years ago?” Talissa inquired.

“Vandervax the Vengeful'' Jerrick piped up.

“He was court wizard to the last of the Arvinginian kings.''Lowell added, “He was banished from the kingdom for his vile practice of necromancy, and later took his revenge”

“He’ll never stop hunting you lass, not until the entire royal bloodline is erased from existence,” Jerrick said.

“Wouldn’t he have been dead for centuries now? I don’t even think elves live that long,” Talissa retorted.

“He is a great practitioner of dark magic and has used a vile ritual to gain immortality.” Aleena answered.

Talissa just looked stunned and put her hands on her pendant. “That means the village. It was all my fault.” A great feeling of grief overtook her.

Aleena placed her hand on Talissa’s shoulder and said, “Do not fret child, for that you cannot change.''

Tears welled in Talissa’s eyes and she turned to Willem. She could see he was also holding back tears.

“I’m sorry Willem.''

“It’s not your fault Talissa,” he said, holding back his tears.

The three members of the Order let the two youths process this for a while. The next morning Talissa woke up and could see Jerrick was packing up to leave.

“Where are you going?” she demanded.

“‘ave a mission to attend to, lass.”

“Not without me you don’t,” she boldly interjected.

At this moment Willem started to rise.

“Your Majesty, you must stay here and be safe. Where I’m going is no place for the future queen,” said Jerrick.

“I decide what place is fit for a future queen,” Talissa protested sternly.

“If she's going I’m going too, I’m her protector after all, you said,” Willem piped up.

Jerrick sighed and went to go get something. Afterwards he came back and said, “Come along then.”

Tallisa brimmed with excitement, but she kept her composure and a straight face.

“So where are we going?” Willem asked.

“The Fallen City,'' Jerrick replied. “The ruins of the once great Arvingian capital of Andobran.”

Talissa and Willem both looked at each other.

“What’s there?” Talissa asked.

“The Crown of King Arveus the Great,” Jerrick curtly replied. “The crown of your ancestors, lass, the Arvingian Kings of the Great Isle.”

“What will we find when we get there?” Willem then inquired.

“Currently, my lad, it is occupied by a ferocious gnoll warlord known as the Hyena King.”

Willem gulped.

“We best be prepared for dealing with that when the time comes.”

Willem gulped again.

As their travels went on, Willem and Jerrick would often train with the sword. Talissa could see that Willem was getting a little better. While on the way, Talissa remembered her unanswered question from their journey before.

“You knew my father?” she piped up.

“As I said lass, not for 14 years,” Jerrick replied.

“How did you know him?” Talissa continued pushing on.

“He was a member of our order.” Jerrick” muttered.

“Do you know why he left me after my mother died?” Talissa asked inquisitively.

She could see in his face he was trying not to say what the answer was.

“He was assigned to protect your mother, but he broke his duty. He was banished from the order after that.”

“Sounds like Uncle Samuel,” Willem piped up.

“How did he break his duty?” Talissa asked.

“He did something he wasn’t supposed to do,” Jerrick replied.

“What was that?” Talissa asked curiously.

“Nevermind that lass.” Jerrick replied.

Eventually they came to their destination. They looked down at a great ruined city from the edge of a cliff that overlooked it. Talissa and Willem had never seen such a sight. Jerrick pulled out a box and produced three little shiny rings. He handed one each to Talissa and Willem.

“Put these on and activate them on my mark when we get close.”

“What are they?” Willem asked.

“Rings of Invisibility.” Jerrick quaintly replied, moving towards the ruins.

As they reached the outskirts of the ruins, Jerrick put on his ring and touched it. He vanished.

“Put on yer rings now and touch them like I did. Follow each other's voices, but only whisper. Danger awaits ahead.”

Talissa, Willem and Jerrick creeped through the great fallen city. Everywhere they went they were surrounded by gnolls, the hyena-like creatures that often inhabit ruins. The gnolls stood over them on shambled watchtowers with bows slung across their backs. Some gnolls stood among them in the streets, leaning on their spears and scratching their fur while keeping watch. Others fed their pet hyenas.

The trio cautiously slipped through the great city until they had reached the ruins of the palace. They headed into the throne room where a large gnoll was sleeping on the throne. He had a powerful looking bow in his lap and was wearing a brown hood and mask which covered his face. On a pedestal behind him lay an ornate crown, encrusted with regal rubies.

“There lass, lies the crown of your ancestors. It is yours to claim,” said Jerrick. “We must find a way to take it back from the Hyena King.”

Before Jerrick could stop her. Talissa had already begun sneaking past the sleeping gnoll. She grabbed the crown and quickly headed back towards the others. As she did so she kicked a piece of rubbish that was lying in her path.

Thunk!

The Hyena King snorted and awoke. As he came to his senses, he could tell something was afoul in his throne room. The Hyena King let out a shrill scream, looked around and readied his bow. Confused at first, the angry gnoll king followed the sounds of the trio heading for the exit. He pulled back his great bow and fired. The arrow nearly missed Tallisa’s face by two-inches. They snuck out as the Hyena King sounded the alarm.

The gnolls were now on high alert.

“What do we do now?” Willem said in a panic.

Jerrick thought for a second and then remembered. “There is an ancient passageway Eurus Attrillian used to escape with the last member of the royal line. The location was detailed in the order’s legends.”

The trio made their way to an alleyway at the back of the palace. There Jerrick looked over some faded symbols in a wall of stone. He muttered to himself as if trying to remember something and then pressed the symbols in a specific order. The wall suddenly opened up. The trio went through the opening. The commotion, however, caught the attention of a patrolling gnoll on the search for the intruders. The gnoll followed them through the opening. In a moment of bravery, Willem stuck his sword deep into the gnoll’s ribs. To his surprise Willem flashed back into visibility as he attacked the gnoll with his sword. Luckily, the injured gnoll grunted and fell to the ground.

Willem touched his ring and reactivated his invisibility. The three continued down a pathway until they came to an exit at the bottom of a cliff on the outskirts of the city. They had made their escape.

At a safe distance from the ruins, Talissa finally took a look at the crown she had tucked under her cloak. She held it in front of her face. The gold and rubies in the crown glittered, reflecting onto her face.

“Could this truly be my destiny?” she thought to herself.

Jerrick

Aleena

Lowell

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
do not post stories in this thread

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
I expected a story about playing TTRPG's. :v:

EDIT: Also please source the art in your post(if able), in case anyone wants to see more of the artists' work.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

PurpleXVI posted:

EDIT: Also please source the art in your post(if able), in case anyone wants to see more of the artists' work.

trapstar
Jun 30, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

https://www.deviantart.com/sandara/art/Face-02-610078715
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/12PR3
https://www.deviantart.com/deelock/art/Ranger-304584350
https://www.deviantart.com/icedwingsart/art/Old-man-369799779

Couldn't find an original source link the art I used for "Cousin Willem" But here is their now defunct profile - https://www.deviantart.com/zippora it seems they removed all their art and left DA>

trapstar fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 25, 2023

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Yeah, please source character art. Even a link to where you find art on Pinterest or whatever is better than nothing.

This is definitely not the thread for lengthy stories. There's a relatively active thread for gaming stories; for IC stuff, I think there's a "tell us about your character" thread that can be necro'd?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
Encountered in the wild today: somehow the worst take on alignment in an RPG ever.

Instead of good-evil or law-chaos, it's an axis from "Bestial" to "Degenerate." It goes: Bestial, Savage, Barbaric, Civilized, Decadent, Degenerate.

I don't even know where to start on how absolutely awful this is.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

PurpleXVI posted:

Instead of good-evil or law-chaos, it's an axis from "Bestial" to "Degenerate." It goes: Bestial, Savage, Barbaric, Civilized, Decadent, Degenerate.

those are only acceptable as adjectives to describe a orgy.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

PurpleXVI posted:

Encountered in the wild today: somehow the worst take on alignment in an RPG ever.

Horseshoe: The Theorying

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
It gets worse- the RPG its from uses AI Art and the layout and the actual game is dogshit. Also, there are Corruption rules which I ain't touching.

The book is 97 cents and that's too expensive for me.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost
I mean there's a sense in which "too much civilisation is a bad thing, but also not enough civilisation is a bad thing" is one of the explicit themes of the Conan books, and their DNA is all over the tabletop scene, but you just know that when the author writes Degenerate he's turning beet-red and flecks of spittle are forming at the corners of his mouth as he thinks back to that time he saw two men holding hands.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Gonna have to know what the second axis is

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

My Lovely Horse posted:

Gonna have to know what the second axis is
Oh they want a second axis alright

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Yeah Conan had a recurring theme where people's would rise from best-liked state to barbarism then to civilization and then decadence would take hold until the collapse would turn them back into apemen.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Plutonis posted:

Yeah Conan had a recurring theme where people's would rise from best-liked state to barbarism then to civilization and then decadence would take hold until the collapse would turn them back into apemen.

And Conan himself seems to be a bit aware of this, I loosely recall him being shown as having conflicting thoughts on civilization and making a genuine effort to understand a society he's immersed in.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

So I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this, but my partner and I designed a card game that we're trying to balance now before we print a prototype. It's similar to love letter or ticket to ride, i guess, but with way more on the fly math. We've playtested it in groups and it works fairly well, but the scoring is unbalanced, as noone seems to be able to hold on to their points. Is there a "best principles" on how to balance the numbers? Like should I try to write a python script and have agents play it out a million times? Or do we need to playtest a lot and figure it out that way?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
There's a board game design thread I recommend posting your question in. It doesn't see a lot of regular traffic but wherever someone posts it tends to get activity.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518654

Though I recommend you write a bit more about what your game actually is, because "similar to love letter or ticket to ride" is gonna get you a bunch of questions.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
My own experience is that algorithms, spreadsheets, etc are very helpful but tend to assume either perfect play or what the writer thinks near-perfect play looks like, so you need plenty of proper playtests along with thorough notes of said tests. It also helps a lot to go into tests with specific questions you want answered rather than general "was it fun? Did it seem balanced?" Like "did you find you were in a good position on turn 3 compared to turn 8? Why or why not?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servetus
Apr 1, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

This is extremely close to the Culture chart from Blades of the Iron Throne, which you absolutely should not buy, a Conan themed Riddle of Steel-derived game that leaned into the racism instead of toning it down.

quote:

A: Enlightened, B: Barbarian, C: Nomad, D: Civilized, E: Decadent, F: Degenerate