Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Mr. Mercury posted:

which is why the audiophile rancor against the AirPods Max never really went far

apropos of whichare those worth getting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Ok Comboomer posted:

apropos of whichare those worth getting?

They're okay, I mean they're very very Apple in everything they do, it's just a pain in the pants area to use a wired connection if you want to, which is weird (and again, no IP rating). I like how drat deep the ear cups are! Makes the isolation really good even before the ANC is applied

Also for $550 it's a bit steep compared to the Sennheiser Momentum 4 headset or the Sony, etc.

I did get to try the Bathys recently, they're interesting. Not a fan of the need for a battery at all times (even wired) but the internal DAC thing is cool

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 23, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mr. Mercury posted:

They're okay, I mean they're very very Apple in everything they do, it's just a pain in the nards to use a wired connection if you want to, which is weird. I like how drat deep the ear cups are! Makes the isolation really good even before the ANC is applied

Also for $550 it's a bit steep compared to the Sennheiser Momentum 4 headset or the Sony, etc.

I did get to try the Bathys recently, they're interesting. Not a fan of the need for a battery at all times (even wired) but the internal DAC thing is cool

Sounds like theyre not worth getting over AirPods Pro 2 then. If youre going to go through the trouble of over-ears then youre probably okay using a wired connection

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Yeah it's a strange price point. who knows, maybe we'll see a new version or they'll make a slightly less expensive Beats knockoff or something

There are definitely people who would love it, others hate it, all for extremely valid reasons. It is kinda nice that we're in a time where the truly lovely stuff is harder to come by at the top-end of things, I feel

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Jun 23, 2023

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

priznat posted:

Hm wondering if I can hold out for a couple weeks for prime. I plan on getting the blue.
Pretty sure the blue ones are Best Buy exclusive, in which case Prime Day wont help.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Mr. Mercury posted:

Yeah it's a strange price point. who knows, maybe we'll see a new version or they'll make a slightly less expensive Beats knockoff or something

There are definitely people who would love it, others hate it, all for extremely valid reasons. It is kinda nice that we're in a time where the truly lovely stuff is harder to come by at the top-end of things, I feel

Its strange to think back to not too long ago when apple headphones were something that got packed in with your phone or iPod and which would youd instantly discard and let slowly fill a drawer in your home. For me they were always the last ditch headphones when you didnt have another pair available. Youd usually have to hold the cable in an awkward way for one of the earbuds for them to work.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apple cables still have terrible sprain relief to this day, it's just less of an issue now that more of their stuff is wireless

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

If youre going to go through the trouble of over-ears then youre probably okay using a wired connection

No way, I love over the ear headphones and hate wires.

That said I think the Airpods max are too expensive and I don't like how they look. I'm sure they are nice but I'll stick with Sony

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

Pretty sure the blue ones are Best Buy exclusive, in which case Prime Day wont help.

Nope, definitely on amazon and seen them other places too, all for the same price. Maybe that was the xm4s?

Costco has em for $1 less lol

steckles
Jan 14, 2006

The connection inside my 17 year old AKG K701s died again and I couldn't be bothered to pry it open and re-solder everything for like a fifth time, so I wandered over to the local headphone store and spent a couple hours listening to stuff. Ended up getting a pair of Beyerdynamic T5 3rd generation. Basically the exact opposite of the 701s sound, but I guess I was ready for a change. There's definitely way more bass than the 701s, whose sound I'd describe as dry, but it's not overwhelming like some of the cans my bass-head friends have. My friend has a pair of DT770 pros that he swears by but they always sounded too boomy to me and I kinda wrote off Beyerdynamic because of that for a long time.

Anyway, the T5s sound great through my (also 17 year old) Gilmore Lite and have really nice build quality, but I guess I should expect that for $1200 CAD.

steckles fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Jun 25, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

How much more do open headphones allow you to hear the world around you? I'd like to at least maybe hear people yelling for me across the house when at my computer, but if it doesn't make a big difference I won't bother (isolation doesn't matter otherwise I'm in my office). It seems like there are way more options for closed headphones.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Totally, like you don't feel like they're on in terms of hearing. That's kinda the whole point.

Rakeris
Jul 20, 2014

Yeah unless I have the volume cranked can pretty easily hear peeps yell at me from the other room.

Rakeris fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jun 28, 2023

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

That sounds great. Any suggestions for <= $150 for gaming/music? Wireless would be nice, but it seems like that isn't much of an option for open headphones. They'll just be plugged into the front headphone jack on my desktop computer so no amps or anything.

I had been using a wireless Arctis 7 headset that was kinda crappy but they were comfortable and worked for my heavy discord usage for the last couple years. I suppose now I can just get a desktop mic. When they broke, I switched back to my 10+ year old Audio Technica ATH-A700s which reminded me of how crappy the Arctis were.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

That sounds great. Any suggestions for <= $150 for gaming/music? Wireless would be nice, but it seems like that isn't much of an option for open headphones. They'll just be plugged into the front headphone jack on my desktop computer so no amps or anything.

I had been using a wireless Arctis 7 headset that was kinda crappy but they were comfortable and worked for my heavy discord usage for the last couple years. I suppose now I can just get a desktop mic. When they broke, I switched back to my 10+ year old Audio Technica ATH-A700s which reminded me of how crappy the Arctis were.

Counterpoint: some Beats or AirPods Pro with ANC and transparency mode will let you hear your surroundings comfortably for ~$150

plus you can toggle between transparency and ANC modes when you do want to filter out outside noise

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 28, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

^ don't get beats or airpods if gaming is one of your use cases, though. i've tried it. the bluetooth latency is very noticeable.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.”

FuzzySlippers posted:

My brother got the Pc38x and absolutely loved them, they're great for gaming and video calls, pretty drat good for music too. Open back means they sound cool and background sounds filter in a lot, if that's a plus. They should be ~$110 on Massdrop rn.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Honestly not really, but the K371 is probably the closest.

crud. thanks for the honest opinion though!

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

My brother got the Pc38x and absolutely loved them, they're great for gaming and video calls, pretty drat good for music too. Open back means they sound cool and background sounds filter in a lot, if that's a plus. They should be ~$110 on Massdrop rn.

Those seem perfect, thanks.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
If I fancied dipping my toes into the waters of open back headphones BUT only really have the option of listening on my phone (with no audio jack), what would be my best bet in terms of DAC and actual phones, without breaking the bank?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

If I fancied dipping my toes into the waters of open back headphones BUT only really have the option of listening on my phone (with no audio jack), what would be my best bet in terms of DAC and actual phones, without breaking the bank?

prolly a Sennheiser 6~~ of some sort

do you want portability, or are you ok being tethered to a DAC/amp in one spot?

an Apple lightning or USB-C dongle should cover you on the move

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Ok Comboomer posted:

I don't think that's the best idea, they're very high impedance for a phone or dongle. 58X makes more sense, or 560S.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Ok Comboomer posted:

do you want portability, or are you ok being tethered to a DAC/amp in one spot?

an Apple lightning or USB-C dongle should cover you on the move

I'm pretty sure I'll only ever use them at home, so no problem with anything chunky or immobile.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
The Sony Wh1000XM5 over ears are 20% off in Canada now, not sure if the US too but i jumped on that, should be here today!

Good timing my airpods pro battery life has just gone to absolute poo poo.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I don't think that's the best idea, they're very high impedance for a phone or dongle. 58X makes more sense, or 560S.

Late to the party here but yeah, the Sennheiser HD 560S is really solid especially for the price

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mr. Mercury posted:

Late to the party here but yeah, the Sennheiser HD 560S is really solid especially for the price

Cool, they look perfect! Now which DAC should I pair them with?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

None

the non-snarky answer is you don't need a DAC for headphones anymore unless your source device introduces noise. For pretty much any smartphone that's not going to be an issue with the appropriate dongle!

Try the Google USBC to 3.5mm dongle or Apple version of you have an iPhone and you should be good

Mr. Mercury fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 30, 2023

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mr. Mercury posted:

No

the non-snarky answer is you don't need a DAC for headphones anymore unless your source device introduces noise. For pretty much any smartphone that's not going to be an issue with the appropriate dongle!

I think my terminology is wrong. My phone has no headphone jack, so is there a particular device I should use to stream music from my phones to the cans?

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Just the appropriate dongle! It has everything you need in there and is generally around eight bucks

The nice thing about "dumb" headphones is that there's not a lot of opportunity for companies to wall off basic adapters so they can't really put the squeeze on you

So either the Google USBC to 3.5mm or the apple lightning to 3.5mm will be totally fine

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
Cool, well, I've taken the plunge and the phones + dongle are arriving tomorrow! Thanks for the advice everyone.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Good luck! If for whatever reason you're not completely satisfied or if there's something that just rubs you the wrong way, you may be able to fix it. I guess what I'm saying is :justpost:

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005

Mr. Mercury posted:

Good luck! If for whatever reason you're not completely satisfied or if there's something that just rubs you the wrong way, you may be able to fix it. I guess what I'm saying is :justpost:

It for whatever reason I'm not completely satisfied or if there's something that just rubs me the wrong way, I am going to be holding YOU personally loving responsible, Mercury, and you will have a new and deadly posting enemy!!

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

sssssshhhhhit

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apple also makes a USB-C to 3.5mm dongle which is very well regarded for use even with Android phones. I have one that I use to connect my IEMs to my Pixel 7 and it works great. I've also used it with my PC a few times, it just shows up as a standard USB audio class device.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
I just got a generic cheap one from amazon for like £7. Hopefully it works out OK.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

The Perfect Element posted:

I just got a generic cheap one from amazon for like 7. Hopefully it works out OK.

the Apple one is like $9, sometimes 7.

You probably wont get an equally good experience because this is 100% an Apple Supply Chain thing, and not something that Id trust rando Amazon cable companies to be able to replicate

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Mr. Mercury posted:

Just the appropriate dongle! It has everything you need in there and is generally around eight bucks

The nice thing about "dumb" headphones is that there's not a lot of opportunity for companies to wall off basic adapters so they can't really put the squeeze on you

So either the Google USBC to 3.5mm or the apple lightning to 3.5mm will be totally fine

Apple makes a USB-C to 3.5MM adapter, and it's better than the Google adapter.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I actually just got the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle along with the Epos PC38x. I found the PC38x on Amazon open box for $85 and they seem brand new so that worked out. Their sound is dramatically better than my old Arctis 7 or my old Audio Technicas. Thanks for the rec! With the open back I can definitely hear people/cats causing trouble as long as my music isn't totally cranked. It's a shame the microphone isn't removable, but it seems to stay out of the way well enough when I don't need it.

I don't notice any difference with the USB-C dongle vs the front audio on my case, but it is dramatically *louder*. 1/2 volume would be enough to deafen me. Maybe someone with more sensitive ears would notice a difference or maybe my mobo (a pricey one) is alright at driving headphones. I'll be using it for my phone when I want to listen on my big headphones around the house.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Front audio ports on pc cases are notoriously trash unless something has changed recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

FuzzySlippers posted:

I actually just got the Apple USB-C to 3.5mm dongle along with the Epos PC38x. I found the PC38x on Amazon open box for $85 and they seem brand new so that worked out. Their sound is dramatically better than my old Arctis 7 or my old Audio Technicas. Thanks for the rec! With the open back I can definitely hear people/cats causing trouble as long as my music isn't totally cranked. It's a shame the microphone isn't removable, but it seems to stay out of the way well enough when I don't need it.

I don't notice any difference with the USB-C dongle vs the front audio on my case, but it is dramatically *louder*. 1/2 volume would be enough to deafen me. Maybe someone with more sensitive ears would notice a difference or maybe my mobo (a pricey one) is alright at driving headphones. I'll be using it for my phone when I want to listen on my big headphones around the house.

I have two pair of these and you can regularly find them on Amazon for that price and imo they are a steal for that.

That being said I dont think they are worth the $180 retail price but for under $100 absolutely.