Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

this is insane. 1/144 Victory for scale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

JoeGlassJAw posted:

Jesus, that's even bigger than I thought it was. I knew it was big, but :stare:.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

JoeGlassJAw posted:

welp, I guess it's good I'm moving to a larger workstation after Mr. Saz, who I'll be topcoating tonight!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I'm looking at that booster and thinking about those thin line decals that wrap around it. I totally screwed up the ones on the Sazabi and in retrospect I should've cut it into segments and applied them in sequence to keep it manageable rather than try to snake the entire thing around like a rube

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Buck Wildman posted:

I'm looking at that booster and thinking about those thin line decals that wrap around it. I totally screwed up the ones on the Sazabi and in retrospect I should've cut it into segments and applied them in sequence to keep it manageable rather than try to snake the entire thing around like a rube

That's definitely something begging for paint/marker. As a slide transfer, it would be simple enough, but I'd lose my mind trying to do something self-adhesive.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I keep telling myself that whenever I sorta gently caress up a decal that I'll be back to paint it.... sometime

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Warmachine posted:

That's definitely something begging for paint/marker. As a slide transfer, it would be simple enough, but I'd lose my mind trying to do something self-adhesive.

it was a waterslide but I still ripped it to shreds trying to work it into shape. live and learn, and it's not a really visually significant part of the model anyway. most of them turned out great and I'm p chuffed with myself for a first-timer

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
I’m still stalling on a huge, 6-part water slide decal over a very uneven surface for the MG Going Merry. Is there any economical way for me to replicate the decal to give myself a do-over?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

Warmachine posted:

they are waterslides! all ver ka kits come with waterslides. soak it for a sec and use a wet cotton swab and you have plenty of time to move it around before it sticks, even using a setting solution (which I did). they are still a little tough to place but don't worry, they're not decals

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

CommunityEdition posted:

I’m still stalling on a huge, 6-part water slide decal over a very uneven surface for the MG Going Merry. Is there any economical way for me to replicate the decal to give myself a do-over?

There are printable water slide sheets, I’ve used a laser printer one in the past.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

well I guess I should've watched any other tutorial than the one I did because mine said softer then setter, when it should've been the other way around. this explains some of the trouble I had and it sounds like it was something of a miracle it turned out as well as it did for me

whoops

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

https://twitter.com/hobbysite/status/1672079624476721152?s=46&t=K6CRMiA33aFQep_ZPx64DQ

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Buck Wildman posted:

well I guess I should've watched any other tutorial than the one I did because mine said softer then setter, when it should've been the other way around. this explains some of the trouble I had and it sounds like it was something of a miracle it turned out as well as it did for me

whoops

i think that is right but there's a few ways to approach it. i find cutting out the slide, soaking it in a lil ramekin of water for 30 sec, putting some setter on the piece where it's gonna go, taking the slide out of the water and let it sit (slide side up) on a paper towel for another few secs, then take a wet cotton swab and slide it off the sheet onto the piece to apply. once its in place, let it sit for a minute, maybe more. long enough that it won't be moved easily. then with a dry swab i push out any bubbles and then finally another brush of setter on top.

sounds like a lot of work but overall thats like maybe 2 min per decal and you can usually do a few at a time. it can be expensive to experiment with a whole kit but you can buy waterslides, even official ones, online for like $5-$10. get a cheap HG and a sheet of slides and practice until you find something that works for you! thats what I did with that custom Victory I had in my last post. before that I tried my hand at a wing ver ka and majorly hosed it up so yeah, lesson learned with this kind of thing

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

that's p much what I did, just got the softer/setter down in the wrong order. Oh well, still looks good it just made it unnecessarily challenging with safe placement I think

doing the last round of topcoating then I'm donezo. photos/closing thoughts soon

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Oh poo poo, Gyoubu's new Scoobee comes out next month

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1672567423592173568?s=20

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Gripweed posted:

Oh poo poo, Gyoubu's new Scoobee comes out next month

https://twitter.com/ippeigyoubu/status/1672567423592173568?s=20

this guy rules, I want him

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

always want more little desk buddies, gimme the squats

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

:siren: RG SAZABI DONE :siren:

my second build and my first RG, and I think he turned out amazing. he's a little tough to pose and not quite as articulated as I had hoped standing free - I'll probably get an action base for him eventually. also the rifle hangs kind of loose in only one hand and I can understand why a lot of poses have his other hand supporting it. I made good use of the gold/silver/green metallic markers for detailing, though I did end up using the silver stickers for some of the fine details, as the silver marker ended up being kind of muddy and uneven on the red surfaces. third party waterslides on everything else, and though there was a little bit of screw-up due to inexperience overall they turned out incredible and were well worth the extra expense. the gold ones have a hologram effect that really looks awesome when it catches the light

after a lot of hemming and hawing I ended up using a semi-gloss top coat and ultimately it....doesn't look much different from the bare plastic - it has a very fine, sort of satin finish to it that I wouldn't use on more mundane grunt builds but I think is a good choice for a more "premium" mobile suit like Mr. Saz here or some of the flashier gundams, particularly because it helps preserve some of the gleam from the metallic colors. I'll experiment more between that and the matte finish.

one interesting thing - I tried using the green metallic marker on the rifle's scope instead of the sticker. it ended up showing up REALLY dark against the black plastic and initially I was pretty disappointed. however, I layered it on a bit more and as it dried and set it ended up taking on a really glassy look that actually looks like an unlit scope would look and the green flashes when the light catches it. I'm ultimately p pleased with that and am keeping it in mind for future builds.

overall, he didn't turn out 100% perfect but dammit he's my big robo boy and I love him

Little Z shown for scale

anyway, having utterly failed to learn humility I'm escalating to the MG Psycho Zaku, which I imagine is gonna keep me more than busy leading up to november and all my p-bandai poo poo fulfilling for next year

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Gave an RG a try this month and on the one hand I can appreciate this level of detail on a 1/144 but on the other hand I will probably not do many because god-drat the parts were fiddley and hard to hold and in constant danger of getting lost. I was originally going to practise some weathering with it but I may just move on as I am thoroughly sick of the RG hands.

Here he is panelled and decal'd and topcoated next to an HG Zaku with only basic panelling and stickers.

Decided if I wasn't going to paint him I could at least practise something else and tried some small work with markers and gradients.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Don't put that drum all the way together or you'll never see those awesome rounds again.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!

Good God that Heat Hawk looks amazing.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Thanks! The awful piping is from a hard-tip marker which was obviously not the right thing to use for that, but you live and learn. Next up is an HG EZ-8 which on god I will weather.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

JoeGlassJAw posted:

they are waterslides! all ver ka kits come with waterslides. soak it for a sec and use a wet cotton swab and you have plenty of time to move it around before it sticks, even using a setting solution (which I did). they are still a little tough to place but don't worry, they're not decals

Not all, Ball ver ka didn't :(

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Ibblebibble posted:

Not all, Ball ver ka didn't :(

Ball doesn't have legs, so does it really count as a Ver Ka?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pierson posted:

Gave an RG a try this month and on the one hand I can appreciate this level of detail on a 1/144 but on the other hand I will probably not do many because god-drat the parts were fiddley and hard to hold and in constant danger of getting lost. I was originally going to practise some weathering with it but I may just move on as I am thoroughly sick of the RG hands.

Here he is panelled and decal'd and topcoated next to an HG Zaku with only basic panelling and stickers.

Decided if I wasn't going to paint him I could at least practise something else and tried some small work with markers and gradients.

I love the axe blade and those bullets are wonderful.

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Pierson posted:

this looks amazing. you did this with markers? can you post what markers you used/how you blended for the gradient? i will do every heat hawk i ever build from now on like this if i can replicate what you did

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Pierson posted:

Wooah wooah woah htere. Don't pass judgement on RG with ~that~ thing. That's RG model.. what. #2? It's marginaly better than RG #1, but they're completely in a different galaxy from "good" real grades. Fiddlyness goes down. Detail, somehow, goes up. And durablity goes up. Also.. Nu gundam is $50.

quote:

Looks really good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

JoeGlassJAw posted:

this looks amazing. you did this with markers? can you post what markers you used/how you blended for the gradient? i will do every heat hawk i ever build from now on like this if i can replicate what you did

Unfortunately no that was airbrushed. With soft-tip markers it might be possible with a steady hand but I'm not that good.

Nerobro posted:

Wooah wooah woah htere. Don't pass judgement on RG with ~that~ thing. That's RG model.. what. #2? It's marginaly better than RG #1, but they're completely in a different galaxy from "good" real grades. Fiddlyness goes down. Detail, somehow, goes up. And durablity goes up. Also.. Nu gundam is $50.
Oh yeah for sure I actually have another RG queued up right now (Eva Unit 01) so I'm not done with it by a long shot lol.

Pierson fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 26, 2023

Televisio Frankus
Jun 8, 2010

Finally combined my 30MM kits into this lad.

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!

Pierson posted:

Oh yeah for sure I actually have another RG queued up right now (Eva Unit 01) so I'm not done with it by a long shot lol.

You'll have an absolute blast with that one. The Eva kits are very different from the typical Bandai stuff, and they're a ton of fun.

Also regardless of how tall and lanky they are, they balance on those tiny feet with what I imagine is some kind of witchcraft.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Televisio Frankus posted:

Finally combined my 30MM kits into this lad.

Looks like an angry duck, I like it

Jxforema
Sep 23, 2005
long live the Space Pope
I’m having trouble deciding how much I hate the feet on the dilanza. It works fine, it just looks like it’s walking around of stupid tree trunks

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

The dilanza felt like a huge throwback in terms of design and construction, it actually put me off trying any of the other WfM kits

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowy posted:

Looks like an angry duck, I like it

Smallgeese

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

What are everyone's favorite instagram or youtube accounts to follow for the hobby?

I'd love to start following more news/tips/builders accounts.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
So I think I've cracked the code on what gets pre-painted and not in the Moderoids - I think they generally allocate a single colour of paint to prepaint runners on a kit, save for anything with a face. The tell's been starting the Aestivalis Aerial Frame, where there's a lot of orange paint pre-applied to the blue runners, yet the eyepiece on the central head part is unpainted (and should be red) despite having a dab of orange painted on for the forehead air intake.

Incidentally, this one NEEDS a dab of glue for the orange jawpiece. Also a mininum of four new swearwords to nudge it into place. It's got the same problem the Ground Frame has where making the model's scale a little larger would make some parts a whole lot less fidgety.

edit: Good Smile, how the gently caress do you expect someone to mount a posing base to a slot nested way in there?

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Jun 27, 2023

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Phy posted:

Smallgeese

lol

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Zowort Heavy must still be quite the popular little HG kit. My backordered one finally came in, yet the page listing still shows as Backordered. Just came and gone, I guess.

I may have decided to just ship it with the Kyoukai Senki armor pack, so my backlog grows again. Pretty sure I also need a new metallic green marker after painting up the Kenbu too, cause of course I gotta pretty up the addon armor... :shepspends:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1674039725634600961?s=20

The three new Armored Core kits are up for preorder at looks like whatever retailer you prefer, I checked USA Gundam and they also had them up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Any good online retailers that ship to Canada I should be looking at? My local hobby shop has like a million things on back order so they've got basically no G Witch kits available. At this point I'd rather just order something and have it come eventually than keep playing the lottery and hoping my shop gets a shipment in.