Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Azran posted:

I was actually thinking about picking up Troyes. I loved Concordia and Hansa so it seemed like a logical next purchase but if it's hard for new players to grasp I'm not so sure now - my group gets together twice or so every month and except for the lightest stuff it always involves a bit of relearning so we're not at our most competitive usually :v: Haven't had the chance to play it on BGA because there's barely anyone playing whenever I'm looking for matches. I did do the tutorial there (which is sadly very poorly written) and I liked the dice mechanism but I could see it being very confusing

With a regular group I think it would be fine but I've had the experience of teaching it to about 20 people for various single shot games over the past couple of years and out of those maybe 3 or 4 people actually understood how the game worked enough to play competently, with slightly fewer people clearly not 'getting' the game even after having played it.

If you like Concordia and HT and have a group which enjoys HT I'd be surprised if you can't get them into it in terms of gameplay. The teach isn't really that bad; it's just that few actions in the game work in an extremely straightforward way, and it's possible to put yourself into a bad position if you play poorly, so it's not something which is quick and easy to pick up (especially compared to something like Concordia).

You have workers you "own", but any player can use them if they pay gold, so there's nothing to fall back on as a guaranteed action every turn. The cost to buy dice scales with both the number of dice being purchased, and the total number of dice used for a single action, so you can have the same action using the same size dice pool cost different amounts of gold under different circumstances. It's easy to get yourself into a hole where you lack either gold or renown which can prevent you from taking actions. Most actions require you to divide a 2 digit number by a 1 digit number in order to know what the outcome of the action will be, which was a gamebreaker for more than one person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Elysium posted:

Yes, you see in phase one you :eyepop: :gay: unless you are picking other phase one in which case you :eyepop: more but :gay: same, of course. Then, clearly, when you :10bux: phase IV, you and only you :10bux:, but everyone else and you also :munch: which you must if you can. It’s so simple we don’t even need words on the cards!

It’s funny, there’s another space 4x style board game that my group likes that is equally obtuse, hard to teach and dependent on unintuitive iconography and is also very good, but I haven’t ever seen anyone discussing it online. It’s called Impulse. We bought a copy from the creator at a convention, and I don’t think it got a huge print run.

It’s an interesting game in terms of how it handles its resources. During setup, the play map is created by laying out a series of face down cards representing sectors of space. Each time a player moves a ship onto an unexplored sector, they can develop it, which amounts to drawing the face-down card and then playing a face-up card of their choosing from their hand onto the board. Any player that is occupying a sector can activate it to carry out its action.

On top of an action, each card has a few other values: a resource value, which is how much the card can be mined for as well as its combat power, and a color coding that interacts with various other systems. Players can mine cards of certain colors to generate VP if they have a corresponding mining action accessible. They can also earn VP by defeating other players in combat, which is a War style high-low mechanic, or via sabotage, which works via color matching. Any player that occupies the centermost space also earns VP every round. The game ends when the VP threshold is reached.

Another interesting feature is that one of the action types, “plan,” allows a player to lay as many cards as they like down to program an action chain that can then be executed on a subsequent turn, allowing for action compression in exchange for planning and investing ahead of time.

It’s a neat game with systems that interlock in really fun and smart ways, it’s just a bear to teach and in the end we play it less than I’d like because if we don’t play it for like a month we all forget how it works. The cards are also all sorta just lacking anything in the way of art, just icons showing you what they do. I think a second pass with a publisher to add some drip to the game and revise the rulebook could make it a real success.

Anonymous Robot fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 18, 2023

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jedit posted:

A subgroup at my old game night played Inis obsessively every week for a month. Week 1 was "I don't know what's going on but I look forward to finding out", week 2 was "this is really good and clever", but by week 4 they'd seen that it always ended with several players one step from victory and the winner was inevitably decided by kingmaking. It never hit the table again and the owner sold it a few weeks later.

I've definitely run into games that run this course. They eventually become boring (the death knell of any game) but our enjoyment up until that point is real :yum:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Jun 18, 2023

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Anonymous Robot posted:

It’s funny, there’s another space 4x style board game that my group likes that is equally obtuse, hard to teach and dependent on unintuitive iconography and is also very good, but I haven’t ever seen anyone discussing it online. It’s called Impulse. We bought a copy from the creator at a convention, and I don’t think it got a huge print run.

Oh hey, Chudyk In Space! Yeah, Impulse was a pretty fun time for a little while, but it was always kind of an outsized teach for the fun we got out of it.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Glazius posted:

Oh hey, Chudyk In Space! Yeah, Impulse was a pretty fun time for a little while, but it was always kind of an outsized teach for the fun we got out of it.

That’s the one! Looks like it did eventually get a packaging and art overhaul from what we had, though it’s still a little lacking.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I won the wingspan tournament at an anime convention this weekend. despite not having much love for the game I entered on a lark as it was one of the few things going on on the sunday. it was the first time I’d played with the asia + oceania expansions (nectar, end-of-round birds, end-of-game birds, revised player boards that nerf egg spam and incentivize the weaker habitats, more ways to filter card draw) and it made the tableau-building much more engaging. I won my qualifier by being the only person who showed up; the finals were 5p and I won largely off of assembling a ridiculous wetlands with food production, egg generation, and tucking. action efficiency baby

dunno how I’m gonna get this home or where I’m going to put this

ActingPower
Jun 4, 2013

panko posted:

I won the wingspan tournament at an anime convention this weekend. despite not having much love for the game I entered on a lark

Heh. Lark.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Congratulations! That's an unusual but pretty neat prize to have :)

Any opinions regarding Amul? I bought it a couple years ago and after initial excitement it started feeling way too luck-driven to be fun, but now that more time has passed I've started to enjoy it again. Definitely a lighter game, though - it reminds me of 7 Wonders in a lot of ways, but I think I like Amul's method of being able to somewhat control your cards over 7 Wonders' "you get a new hand almost every turn" system. Played it with 7 yesterday for the first time and had a good time, although I quite like the "turn order is determined by sword icons" thing and it felt a bit silly that with that many players only the 2 last rounds had that in effect. I wonder if it'd be interesting to houserule things so that swords give advantage from the start...

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

:honk:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

panko posted:

I won the wingspan tournament at an anime convention this weekend. despite not having much love for the game I entered on a lark as it was one of the few things going on on the sunday. it was the first time I’d played with the asia + oceania expansions (nectar, end-of-round birds, end-of-game birds, revised player boards that nerf egg spam and incentivize the weaker habitats, more ways to filter card draw) and it made the tableau-building much more engaging. I won my qualifier by being the only person who showed up; the finals were 5p and I won largely off of assembling a ridiculous wetlands with food production, egg generation, and tucking. action efficiency baby

dunno how I’m gonna get this home or where I’m going to put this

Oh hey, congrats! And no shame in winning by default - I've done that a couple of times, myself. :D Showing up is the first step to victory, so if they can't pull it off, you clearly deserve the win!

On the topic, I actually played Wingspan for the first time a week or so ago, which I found surprisingly fun. Came second by a narrow margin to a veteran player, through having many eggs and high-value birds. Half-tempted to get it now, but I'm not sure if it'll actually see much use.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Anyone here played Mille Fiori?

FoglyOgly
Sep 23, 2009
Received my copy of Resist! yesterday and played a game to learn it. It's pretty easy to learn - thoroughly reading the rules and playing a slow first game took me a little over an hour. I also enjoyed it quite a bit and will probably play it quite a bit for a while. If you're like me and you like $20 solo games with small footprints and tight decision spaces, consider Resist!

BoardGameGeek posted:

Resist! is a fast-playing, card-driven solitaire game in which you take on the role of the Spanish Maquis, fighting against the Francoist regime. Over a series of rounds, you undertake increasingly difficult missions, and completing missions earns you the points needed to win. Failing to defeat missions and enemies may cause you to lose. At the end of each round, you must choose whether to end the resistance or risk it and take on another mission.

At the beginning of the game, you assemble a team of twelve Maquis, which are represented by a deck of cards. At the heart of the game is the tension between keeping your Maquis concealed from Franco or revealing them to unlock their full potential. Unfortunately, revealed Maquis are removed from your deck, and you likely won't be able to use them for the rest of the game. While Resist! does have some minor deck-building elements, it is primarily a "deck-destruction" game in which you have to manage your deck, balancing the decision of defeating the immediate threat with trying to move on to the next mission.

The BGG description is pretty good. What it doesn't mention here is that the art is great. Each Maquis card represents a unique person with a name and attributes all their own. I kinda wish there was some flavor text about them, but it's easy to imagine backstories for all of your freedom fighters.

Adolfo here is an officer in the military sympathetic to the cause. While hidden, he can't attack directly but he can discreetly reassign soldiers, leaving your target with fewer defenses. When he does fight openly, he can bring valuable intel and hit the enemy hard.

There's sort of a metagame and an inner game going on here. There are a few different ways to lose the game - too many civilian casualties, too many missions failed, too many spies infiltrating your movement - and between each round you have to decide whether the risk of continuing the resistance another round is worth it. That's the metagame. If you quit before you lose, you will almost certainly earn at least a draw. If you press your luck, you might lose entirely. Each mission you complete earns you points, and you have to do pretty well to even scrape together a minor victory. In my first game I could only manage a draw. Crucially, you have to make the decision to continue before you draw your hand for the next round. You start with 12 fighters and 3 spies, and each round you will likely lose at least one fighter. At times you may also gain more spies - useless cards that take up crucial space in your hand. (If you ever draw a full hand of spies, you lose).

The inner game works like this: you will draw (usually) five cards. You have to play all the fighters you have including any you get to draw. You can either play your cards during the planning phase - before you choose a mission from the four available, or during the attack phase - after you've chosen a mission and all the enemies there have been revealed. Whenever you play a card, you can either play it hidden (on the left side of your play area) or revealed (on the right). Revealed fighters are usually much stronger, but after the round they go to a separate pile, where it is much harder to get them back into your deck. Hidden fighters go to your normal discard pile and eventually back to your hand. Your goal during the round is to complete your chosen mission and/or the enemies defending your mission target.

The shield icon tells you how much strength you need to complete the mission, while the card icon tells you how many enemy cards to lay face down next to the mission. By the time you actually attack, there may be a greater or fewer number of enemies defending the target. It will often not be possible to complete the mission and defeat all the enemies. You will have to make tactical decisions about what to prioritize. Some enemies will prevent you from attacking the mission target. Others will prevent you from attacking any other enemies. Still others will exact retribution against the civilian population if they survive. At times, you may even have to take the loss on the mission in order to defeat the enemies or to avoid other disastrous consequences.

The missions have a nice variety to them. Each game you'll have 10 of the 20 missions in 3 distinct eras. The early missions are easier but worth fewer points. It was easy for me to smash through some of these and all the enemies only to find I had made myself too weak to be effective in the later missions. When you tire of the regular game, there are a couple of things included in the box to make for a challenge. There's a drafting variant that seems to be the intended way to play the game for those already comfortable with the rules. There's also a scenario book with eight standalone scenarios - some of these change the initial setup, all of them have different win conditions than the base game. There's also a short campaign consisting of three linked scenarios, each scenario consisting only of missions from one of the three eras.

Overall I'm very happy with the purchase. I'm a sucker for games that get me reading and learning about history. I do wish they had included some materials about the historical context, something like Twilight Struggle's book that gives more information about each event. However, Twilight Struggle abstracts the people affected by its conflicts, while Resist! abstracts the historical events and focuses on the human side of the conflict, so I understand if the designers opted not to include something like that.

Further reading/viewing:
Dan Thurot's excellent review
Dice Tower's video review

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I really wanted a copy but my FLGS sold out quick and so far has not restocked. Glad to hear it's solid!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Resist! really is incredible.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I’ve been spending a lot of late nights awake alone with my newborn, so I treated myself to a game I’ve been eyeing for a long time — Aeon’s End. Per a few recommendations, I went with Aeon’s End: Legacy. I played solo with two mages and loved the game. I only had one loss out of the 7 scenarios, though I only won scenario 4 because I hosed up the Nemesis deck.

Anyway, Miniature Market had a Father’s Day sale, with Legacy of Gravehold on sale for $57. I snapped that up, and a package arrived today. I was pretty stoked to set up my first game tonight. Instead, MM sent me whatever the gently caress this is…

Such a bummer man. Now it’s out of stock, and I can’t find a copy for cheaper than $75.

million dollar mack
Aug 20, 2006
Larson ain't getting this cow.
Survive is an easy playing silly game, good for warmups or to introduce gaming to those who haven't played many board games before. Annoying that it's not what you ordered though.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Aggro posted:

I’ve been spending a lot of late nights awake alone with my newborn, so I treated myself to a game I’ve been eyeing for a long time — Aeon’s End. Per a few recommendations, I went with Aeon’s End: Legacy. I played solo with two mages and loved the game. I only had one loss out of the 7 scenarios, though I only won scenario 4 because I hosed up the Nemesis deck.

Anyway, Miniature Market had a Father’s Day sale, with Legacy of Gravehold on sale for $57. I snapped that up, and a package arrived today. I was pretty stoked to set up my first game tonight. Instead, MM sent me whatever the gently caress this is…

Such a bummer man. Now it’s out of stock, and I can’t find a copy for cheaper than $75.

Aeon's End plays great solo, and the non-legacy sets are good too - plenty of challenge.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

million dollar mack posted:

Survive is an easy playing silly game, good for warmups or to introduce gaming to those who haven't played many board games before. Annoying that it's not what you ordered though.

Yeah the newborn is gonna come to love feeding daddy to the sharks, my kids love Survive. Could get worse games.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

armorer posted:

Aeon's End plays great solo, and the non-legacy sets are good too - plenty of challenge.

I’ll probably dive into those next. I’m really enjoying the gameplay and the legacy mechanics, even it’s not perfectly balanced. One of my mages in Legacy had abilities that made her ruthless efficient, like really good at focusing breaches and really good at thinning my deck. By the end of Nemesis 6, I could reliably get her deck down to 10 cards — a 5 card hand of 4 powerful spells and a relic, and a 5 card band of high-value gems and a relic. The other mage pumped out damage like a machine. I finished Nemesis 7 before even getting to the tier 3 Nemesis cards.

It’s basically the game I wanted Mage Knight to be. A co-op deck builder with a variety of increasingly complex and difficult enemies. Except it takes 5 minutes to set up and an hour to play instead of an hour to set up and half a day to play.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

PerniciousKnid posted:

Yeah the newborn is gonna come to love feeding daddy to the sharks, my kids love Survive. Could get worse games.

My biggest problem with Survive is the distribution of power ups and dangers under the tiles. Instead of getting bigger and crazier as you reach the end they get lamer and more irrelevant. Oh wow you added a shark 4 turns from the end of the game when none of those swimmers were gonna live, or a new boat that isn’t close enough to anything to get used.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Survive is a load of fun and meant to be taken not seriously because I've seen it cause fights with my gaming groups, which is completely embarrassing. I love the theme, the tiles, and the shared incentives. You know, the more I think about it the more I realise it's quite similar to Long Shot, a game I played for the first time last week and really liked for similar reasons.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Going to hopefully proxy Good Face Bad Face tomorrow at some point. Game looks legit good and cheap, comes out Sept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_Yo_IazCw

Standard deck will work for sure

If anyone has a zoom in of the rules to print off lemme know.
Here's the card setup

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
To anyone who's played the Europa Universales game, how were the metal coins? I like their look and I was thinking of buying a set for a few other games I had (they look generic enough + it's a decent number of them in a good range of denominations) but I'd love to hear opinions on them

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Azran posted:

To anyone who's played the Europa Universales game, how were the metal coins? I like their look and I was thinking of buying a set for a few other games I had (they look generic enough + it's a decent number of them in a good range of denominations) but I'd love to hear opinions on them

I have been eyeing these for something a little less antiquated looking: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1010917414/50-metal-coin-board-game-upgrade-set

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Anonymous Robot posted:

I have been eyeing these for something a little less antiquated looking: https://www.etsy.com/listing/1010917414/50-metal-coin-board-game-upgrade-set

I don't normally go in for game "upgrades" but these would look so perfect to play Concordia with that I could be tempted.

On a related note: I've been wanting to get a set of poker chips as a generic token replacement but all the sets I've seen are way off in terms of the quantity and values I'm looking for. A set of low denominations (e.g. some combination of 1 / 2 / 5 / 10 weighted towards the low numbers) without any currency markings and with a plain (or at least generic) design would be ideal, but I've not seen any on the occasions when I've looked. Is this something that anyone has seen for sale before?

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
I think the Roxley Iron Clays might be what you're looking for, but those are pricy and out of stock.

E: I've also seen apache recommended: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/bank-18xx-board-games-poker-chips/

E2: Found the guide I was looking at previously: https://www.tckroleplaying.com/bg/18xx/chips

interrodactyl fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 23, 2023

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

interrodactyl posted:

I think the Roxley Iron Clays might be what you're looking for, but those are pricy and out of stock.

E: I've also seen apache recommended: https://www.apachepokerchips.com/product/bank-18xx-board-games-poker-chips/

E2: Found the guide I was looking at previously: https://www.tckroleplaying.com/bg/18xx/chips

That article is really useful and interesting, and as someone who's never played the game with Vegas style chips I now know why most poker chips look like an explosion in a harlequin factory (it's so you can count a stack quickly).

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Infinitum posted:

Going to hopefully proxy Good Face Bad Face tomorrow at some point. Game looks legit good and cheap, comes out Sept
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1_Yo_IazCw

Standard deck will work for sure

If anyone has a zoom in of the rules to print off lemme know.
Here's the card setup

That does look interesting! I haven't found the actual rulebook, but this review has a nice clean photo of what you do when you draw a red or yellow card.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

El Fideo posted:

That does look interesting! I haven't found the actual rulebook, but this review has a nice clean photo of what you do when you draw a red or yellow card.

Oh dude that's perfect! Exactly what I was after. Cheers :boonie:

We now have the front and back of the card I was after.
So yeah, 100% proxy version available.

Not going to stress about the Blue and Green cards. Base game good enough until it releases

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

interrodactyl posted:

I personally find the cheap target chips work fine for my purposes, if you can't justify spending $$$.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Can vouch for Iron Clays being amazing.

Hope they eventually do another KS run, as I'll likely upgrade me set to 400 in the wooden box

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Same, clays are good

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

interrodactyl posted:

We have Roxley and a clay poker chip set both work well. You can also buy foreign coins to use as board game money.

Serotoning
Sep 14, 2010

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
HANG 'EM HIGH

We're fighting human animals and we act accordingly

Ropes4u posted:

We have Roxley and a clay poker chip set both work well. You can also buy foreign coins to use as board game money.

:lmao: I'll take things that feel illegal for $400

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Pvt. Parts posted:

:lmao: I'll take things that feel illegal for $400

It's just like using pennies but more ~exotic~.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

PerniciousKnid posted:

It's just like using pennies but more ~exotic~.

Goon-made Burger Tokens are awesome. I gifted a set of X-wing tokens to a friend and I'm jealous and wish I bought my own too. The penny gives it a nice weight and the rounded epoxy makes them slide like a curling stone across neoprene mats.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
There was someone who did Pax Pamir with era appropriate silver coins and it was the raddest thing in the world. Unfortunately the images don't work anymore, or at least aren't working for me on the original reddit post. https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/mpm2bn/pax_pamir_with_original_coins/

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It's cat in the box playable at 2 and 3 or it's it another"only 4 player" trick taker?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Not 2, but it plays well at 3-5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

welcome 2 da bone zone