Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

Dave's got funding for Dusk 2 and no excuses anymore!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPw-3e_pzqU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Think I'm heading towards wrapping up Boltgun.

I've found this a weird game to really assess. I have some criticisms and some of them are fairly fundamental. I've definitely butted heads with some unwelcome difficulty spikes and spent FAR too long trying to figure out the intended path. But the moment-to-moment experience of playing Boltgun is just.. really cool. I think it's a triumph for games that do one or two things extremely well. Shooting guns in this game feels loving fantastic and it totally commits 100% to its own themes and setting, including the dumb silliness of it, and when all's said and done that's enough for me to feel pretty glowing about it.

This isn't going to be my GOTY, but when it comes to thinking about that poo poo in December, I genuinely think Boltgun is going to be hanging around my thoughts a lot. Put it this way, any DLC for Boltgun would be an insta-buy for me.

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Jun 23, 2023

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Oh is Dusk 2 definitely a potential thing? I thought I read he wasn't interested in doing it.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rev. Melchisedech Howler posted:

Oh is Dusk 2 definitely a potential thing? I thought I read he wasn't interested in doing it.
He's not (and he's busy with Gloomwood anyway) but another smaller game of his, Iron Lung, had a little bit of a sales spike recently for mysterious, unknown reasons that he's not emotionally conflicted about in the slightest.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

The Kins posted:

He's not (and he's busy with Gloomwood anyway) but another smaller game of his, Iron Lung, had a little bit of a sales spike recently for mysterious, unknown reasons that he's not emotionally conflicted about in the slightest.

Plus the film in the making because it isn't any less funny if you think about it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

The Kins posted:

Is there something I'm missing here?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

shoeberto posted:

It's a game about being trapped in a submarine

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

shoeberto posted:

Iron Lung is a game about being bolted inside of a rickety improvised submarine with next-to-no chance of survival.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Sounds like I already know the ending

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

shoeberto posted:

Titanic claimed 5 more victims.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1671973975226720268

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: nm

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Volte posted:

It's a game about being trapped in a submarine

Oh lol jesus

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Things can be a tragic on a human level and also be deeply funny at the same time I don't see what the big deal is

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

This uncovered a deep memory of a Games forum poster capitalizing on a tragedy with a theme pack for their dumb puzzle game

VideoGamesCEO or something?

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 23, 2023

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Bumhead posted:

Think I'm heading towards wrapping up Boltgun.

I've found this a weird game to really assess. I have some criticisms and some of them are fairly fundamental. I've definitely butted heads with some unwelcome difficulty spikes and spent FAR too long trying to figure out the intended path. But the moment-to-moment experience of playing Boltgun is just.. really cool. I think it's a triumph for games that do one or two things extremely well. Shooting guns in this game feels loving fantastic and it totally commits 100% to its own themes and setting, including the dumb silliness of it, and when all's said and done that's enough for me to feel pretty glowing about it.

This isn't going to be my GOTY, but when it comes to thinking about that poo poo in December, I genuinely think Boltgun is going to be hanging around my thoughts a lot. Put it this way, any DLC for Boltgun would be an insta-buy for me.

I've said it before but I think the thing that really interests me about Boltgun is the potential for expansion and sequels. The WH40K universe is basically bottomless, and if the devs take some lessons from this game (their first studio FPS) and put some effort into the adaptation(s), they can come up with some really cool weapons, enemies, and environments.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've said it before but I think the thing that really interests me about Boltgun is the potential for expansion and sequels. The WH40K universe is basically bottomless, and if the devs take some lessons from this game (their first studio FPS) and put some effort into the adaptation(s), they can come up with some really cool weapons, enemies, and environments.

Yeah, you’re absolutely right. Honestly either DLC or a straight follow up would rank very highly in terms of things I’d love to see from the industry now.

I was closer to the end than I realised - another short session with it this evening and I ended up beating it. Overall had a really fun time with it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's an object lesson in how important weaponfeel is for an fps in general and a throwback shooter in particular. Even the shotgun at least sounded badass as hell and as long as you were using it against chumps it would indeed gently caress them up

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja posted:

I only played the tutorials and part of the first level of El Paso and my problem was that everything seemed way too constrained to get some good shootdodges in? Not helped by the incredibly low ceilings, it just felt claustrophobic. Idk, I'll play more and see then.

Yeeeaaaaah, so I finished the demo and El Paso really seems like a game at odds with its design. I played through that second level without ever shootdodging or even really using the slo-mo because nothing in it actually needs/benefits from the mechanic, so what you're left with is a pretty standard, indie third-person shooter with a whole lot of style. That's definitely the game's strongest point, the monster mash supernatural and the gritty, Paynelike VO (kudos to the dev, I think that's him doing it) although I will admit I'm not entirely sure how seriously I'm supposed to take all of its goofiness.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Mordja posted:

Yeeeaaaaah, so I finished the demo and El Paso really seems like a game at odds with its design. I played through that second level without ever shootdodging or even really using the slo-mo because nothing in it actually needs/benefits from the mechanic, so what you're left with is a pretty standard, indie third-person shooter with a whole lot of style. That's definitely the game's strongest point, the monster mash supernatural and the gritty, Paynelike VO (kudos to the dev, I think that's him doing it) although I will admit I'm not entirely sure how seriously I'm supposed to take all of its goofiness.

I liked the demo alright gameplay wise but felt the same way. I also couldn't stand the weird whiteboy hip-hop track that played in the final level of the demo, it gave me the bad kind of cringe.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weedle posted:

anyone else have weirdly terrible performance in the trepang2 demo? i'm lucky if i hit 30 fps on low settings and my computer runs everything else fine. this is ue4 right? i wonder what's going on

just to follow up on this, i bought the game anyway expecting to refund it if it ran like the demo but it actually runs perfectly. drat this whips. was this really just four guys?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wish there was a way to see which levels i missed the memory uploads in because apparently there's a secret level if you get them all and i did not

e: if you noclip in the safehouse there's a hidden room that teleports you somewhere similar to the yellow halls area from site 83 but it has some texture variations as you venture around and a ghost along with some regular guys in it, and the game won't let you leave lol

site fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 23, 2023

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
h/t to whoever pointed out adaca; best non boombloop campaign i’ve played since titanfall2

looking forward to game mode 2

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg

Weedle posted:

just to follow up on this, i bought the game anyway expecting to refund it if it ran like the demo but it actually runs perfectly. drat this whips. was this really just four guys?

Credits mentioned external help, dunno if that's outsourced or just UE asset store stuff :shrug:

I'm actually really surprised it released in this state, ie not as another unfinished early access indie game. There's a lot of polish here

Weedle
May 31, 2006

so far i haven’t seen anything that couldn’t have come from a ue4 “tactical shooter” asset pack

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Tim Thomas posted:

h/t to whoever pointed out adaca; best non boombloop campaign i’ve played since titanfall2

looking forward to game mode 2

hopefully we'll get episode 3 of the campaign sometime, but the zone patrol mode in itself is also arguably way more involved than the campaign as-is

very weird and esoteric in some ways and it will fully well dump your rear end into it and just kinda expect you to pick up environmental clues to find stuff out

PsyClops
Jun 15, 2000

Johnny Joestar posted:

hopefully we'll get episode 3 of the campaign sometime, but the zone patrol mode in itself is also arguably way more involved than the campaign as-is

very weird and esoteric in some ways and it will fully well dump your rear end into it and just kinda expect you to pick up environmental clues to find stuff out

Zone Patrol reminds me of STALKER in the best ways, and it was definitely one of those 'poo poo I just lost 10 hours' weekends when I decided to start playing it. If exploratory puzzling is at all your thing, it's totally trying out.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Well that's disappointing. El Paso Elsewhere doesn't really feel good to play. The 1:1 Max Payne third person shoot dodge combat does not mesh well at all with a roster of enemies that is mostly melee based. Kind of defeats the purpose of the shoot dodge and bullet time. Also I don't know how we still have games where you take control for 5 seconds only to walk into a cutscene. That's some 2005 - 2010 bullshit.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
jesus, zone patrol might as well be an entirely different game in almost all the ways

i've held myself to not looking up anything at all about this so it really is exploring an alien world where no rules make any sense and it is worth it

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Tim Thomas posted:

jesus, zone patrol might as well be an entirely different game in almost all the ways

i've held myself to not looking up anything at all about this so it really is exploring an alien world where no rules make any sense and it is worth it

The story campaign is a HL2 pastiche. Zone patrol is a STALKER clone.

Two games for the price of one!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really wanted to like Zone Patrol but the enemy placement kind of ruined the enjoyment for me - "here's a big empty area that we'll periodically drop a group of random enemies into a random area" doesn't make for very compelling gameplay.

The campaign is great though, I really hope they finish it.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I'm a playtester for Siris (the dev) and I've played a bit of Ep 3. It's gonna own. I bounced off of Zone Patrol really hard the first time I tried it but once it clicked I dumped a solid 15 hours into it. On the discord channel people are still discovering new things. No idea how a single dev crammed that much stuff into one thing while also making a single player campaign.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Trepang2 is still fun, but I keep getting distracted by the cool looking shadows that are cast by... nothing?

Game looks cool either way but the long corridors with nothing happening in them look like this

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol yeah when you run around looking for intel you start to notice how many lights aren't coming from a light source as well

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

who cares if it looks cool :cheers:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I doubt I would have ever noticed if the game was good enough

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Quantum of Phallus posted:

who cares if it looks cool :cheers:

Brother, I've been staring at these walls for twenty minutes. The illusory wall's evaporated, the veneer's rubbed off. I'm trapped in this Trepang2 map just realizing how fake it really is.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Videogames are fake, like wrestling, politics and billionaires with common sense

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Milo and POTUS posted:

I doubt I would have ever noticed if the game was good enough

I mean obviously you don't notice when you're whipping around blowing guys up with the shotgun, but when you're wandering around hallways looking for the stupid laptops you start to pick up on it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Convex posted:

Trepang2 is still fun, but I keep getting distracted by the cool looking shadows that are cast by... nothing?

Ah they have the new awry tracing lighting tech