Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
It's fascinating that the Wagner prison recruits who didn't die in combat ended up in freedom, meanwhile the Wagner leaders who don't die in combat will end up in prison!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

MegaZeroX posted:

I'm getting this from a random Twitter nobody, so no idea if it is true, but they say Rybar says that he recording was made about 20 hours ago, so Prigozhin might have got himself to a safe place before releasing it? But again, could fake, either from the Twitter nobody or from Rybar.

Rybar doesn't know what UTC means. Really.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

MegaZeroX posted:

BBC Russia says roadblocks set up on the Don Highway highway (leads to Rostov), and soldiers have orders to shoot if anyone tries to go past it

Those don't sound like the sort of units you want facing actual military. Of course apparently the units that would normally be guarding Moscow are supposedly hanging out near Kreminna...

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can just click on the tweet to read it? I get asking for paywalled stuff but cmon it’s just clicking a link.

Yes but that takes you to Twitter's website which I do not want to have to look at ever again, which is why I deleted my account in the first place.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

From Meduza:

quote:

Reports are emerging that Wagner Group’s Petersburg offices have been raided.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Moon Slayer posted:

Yes but that takes you to Twitter's website which I do not want to have to look at ever again, which is why I deleted my account in the first place.

Sounds like a you problem then.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

OddObserver posted:

Those don't sound like the sort of units you want facing actual military. Of course apparently the units that would normally be guarding Moscow are supposedly hanging out near Kreminna...

Plenty of Russian civil ministries have their own paramilitary or special forces branches that can be used in case some general wants to send his tanks to Moscow when there is no parade scheduled. It's not the sole reason why those ministries have those powers, but there is a long history with these things.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sounds like a you problem then.

I think it's a fair thing to wish for. gently caress twitter and gently caress clicking a tweet embed to discover if it was worth going there. Feel free to disagree.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672352661834723329

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I'm not sure what to make of all the Wagner channels being "on message" against a backdrop of apparent inaction. All the channels controlled by a small group of lackeys that have been told to try to whip things up - but in reality nothing has been planned or coordinated and nothing is going to happen?

RockWhisperer
Oct 26, 2018

Nenonen posted:

I think it's a fair thing to wish for. gently caress twitter and gently caress clicking a tweet embed to discover if it was worth going there. Feel free to disagree.

I'd agree, it's unpleasant enough navigating to twitter on mobile.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Journalists with publication Zerkalo reached the local police department in Rostov-on-Don. Asked whether the situation there could get worse overnight, the dispatcher said “We’re scared ourselves. I don’t know. No one is telling anyone anything. Everything is unclear.” The dispatcher added “I’m afraid there’s no one [to call for more information]. Watch the news and listen to what they say.”

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672357331663765504

quote:

"I have just returned by the order of the Ministry of Defence from the zero line, where our forces, our commanders, our soldiers, volunteers carry out the objective, fighting the superior enemy forces to death, take casualties, but stand on their positions.

I appeal to the leadership, commanders and fighters of PMC Wagner: Together with you, we walked a difficult path. Together with you, we fought, we took risks, we took losses, but overcome together. We are of the same blood. We are warriors.

I call on you to stop. The enemy is waiting for our internal political situation to aggravate. We shouldn’t play into the enemy’s hand in this difficult time for the country."

It needs to be done before it’s too late: to obey the will and order of the people-elected President of the Russian Federation. Stop the columns, and return them to their permanent positions and places of concentration.

To solve all problems with civil means only under the leadership of the Supreme Commander of the Russian Armed Forces.

Edit: Notably:

quote:

Stop the columns, and return them to their permanent positions and places of concentration.
Is this confirmation about the rumor of the columns heading towards Moscow right now?

MegaZeroX fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 23, 2023

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

What's it called when a group doesn't overthrow the government but just overthrow a ministry? A sub-coup?

Not that I know or even think that's what's going on here. My very early money is on Prigozhin shooting his mouth off but this time Moscow didn't know if he was posturing or not and decided to err on the side of "set up the checkpoints." But who knows!

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Moon Slayer posted:

What's it called when a group doesn't overthrow the government but just overthrow a ministry? A sub-coup?

What makes you think Prigozhin would stop at Gerasimov and Shoigu? If he takes on the military and wins, he can just isolate Putin further to a unannounced house arrest and tell everyone he's interpreting his orders.

Coups against one part of the government tend to end up with all parts of the government.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

Not that I know or even think that's what's going on here. My very early money is on Prigozhin shooting his mouth off but this time Moscow didn't know if he was posturing or not and decided to err on the side of "set up the checkpoints." But who knows!

If it's not for the purpose of overturning the entire government I believe it's defined as a mutiny. Prigozhin thus far is going against the heads of the MOD, but not Putin.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Without naming its source, Fontanka reports that Prigozhin was in St. Petersburg around 6p.m.–7 p.m. on Friday night.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Wait, so this is implying that the main Russian army is on the side of Ukraine? I don't follow that logic.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

cant cook creole bream posted:

Wait, so this is implying that the main Russian army is on the side of Ukraine? I don't follow that logic.

It's a "if you aren't with us you are with the enemy" and the enemy is Ukraine

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

I can't believe this poo poo is really happening. :stare:

A mutiny or soft(?) coup with Russians fighting each other was not what I expected.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

MegaZeroX posted:

It's a "if you aren't with us you are with the enemy" and the enemy is Ukraine

Fair enough.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672362043503005696

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

At the moment all we've got is one guy recording a lot of audio messages and some anonymous wagner affiliated telegram accounts cheering encouragement

Beyond that, I don't think anything else is happening. Obviously Putin has freaked out and activated some emergency plans to defend against a coup but that's it.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Chalks posted:

At the moment all we've got is one guy recording a lot of audio messages and some anonymous wagner affiliated telegram accounts cheering encouragement

Beyond that, I don't think anything else is happening. Obviously Putin has freaked out and activated some emergency plans to defend against a coup but that's it.

Nothing actually happened yet. But they are escalating things at an increasing pace. It's not like they can just go "Nevermind, all that. I'm sorry let's be friends again." at this point.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018
Why, if you were going to do a coup would you just start talking all about it 1st?

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
And a bunch of freaked out generals brandishing guns calling on Wagner to chill

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

jarlywarly posted:

Why, if you were going to do a coup would you just start talking all about it 1st?

If you're convinced that you are the voice of righteousness and your glorious conquest will sway the hearts of your would-be enemies as the vile politicians try to manipulate them for their convenience, it might sound like a good idea. If you have a massive ego, that is.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

jarlywarly posted:

Straight out of my rear end but I'd guess because there's no chance of security in the planning of anything long term among mercenaries.

Even if it doesn't go hot, good news for team UAF.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Ok, I'm sorry to slowpoke in here as usual but is there anything this might suggest about the situation on the front? A massive internal purge/attempted coup does not seem to be what you do when everything is going swimmingly on the battlefield.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Nothing actually happened yet. But they are escalating things at an increasing pace. It's not like they can just go "Nevermind, all that. I'm sorry let's be friends again." at this point.

No, what will happen is Prigozhin will be arrested or assassinated and that'll be it.

Either a few hours ago a bunch of Wagner forces sprung into action and started executing some sort of plan against the Russian MoD, or nothing happened and nothing will. IMO it's been too long without seeing any evidence of action.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

this ones is apparently via Prigozhin directly

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672364086812606470

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Yeah it seems like someone's probably gonna die at this point, either Prigozhin or who the gently caress knows else

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
If the Russian military convinces some lower level Wagner leader to subdue Prigozhin, is that also a coup?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

There's videos popping off on Telegram of military equipment in Moscow and other cities...
https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1672358741390270466?s=20
https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1672355261124599811?s=20
https://twitter.com/faineg/status/1672344761129222145?s=20

Meanwhile, the Russian Volunteer Corps saluting Prigozhin's attempt to overthrow the government.
https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672341618286788611?s=20
Hey, remember way back when Prigozhin reached out to Ukraine intelligence and offered detailed information on Russian military positions in exchange for amnesty? I know officially Zelensky rejected that offer but one can't be certain that they didn't give him a counteroffer.

cochise
Sep 11, 2011

Does anyone hear Swan Lake playing? :thunk:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It all seems like theatre to me tbh., though it's certainly a little unhinged. Too much pathos.

But who the gently caress knows, I'm no Kremlinologist. Maybe wagner gets purged and its gold mines and whatnot taken over.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
I'm gonna need Prigozhin to chill with the clancychat

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Antigravitas posted:

It all seems like theatre to me tbh., though it's certainly a little unhinged. Too much pathos.

But who the gently caress knows, I'm no Kremlinologist. Maybe wagner gets purged and its gold mines and whatnot taken over.

I disagree, the Kremlin have clearly freaked out and initiated a bunch of emergency plans - all of which look like a massive overreaction in the face of zero actual armed rebellion. They've got roadblocks around Moscow and military vehicles on the streets in response to one guy sending out a bunch of voice messages. It's kinda embarrassing if literally nothing happens, I can't imagine this is orchestrated.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Yeah, it isn't theater. At this point at the very least Prigozhin is hosed, as with his close supporters. Or alternatively, Prigozhin successfully actually overthrows the MoD or something. Either way, this will end in some number of less Russian troops fighting Ukraine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

Chalks posted:

I disagree, the Kremlin have clearly freaked out and initiated a bunch of emergency plans - all of which look like a massive overreaction in the face of zero actual armed rebellion. They've got roadblocks around Moscow and military vehicles on the streets in response to one guy sending out a bunch of voice messages. It's kinda embarrassing if literally nothing happens, I can't imagine this is orchestrated.

Were the military vehicles etc in Moscow confirmed by someone reliable? Only saw what looked like random rumours so far