Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Of course he skipped the best one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008
The fact that the GOP censured Schiff is just further proof that the Russian collusion was real and the GOP covered it up

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

idonotlikepeas posted:

David M. Hitch

Sittin' on a shelf with my friends, as you do.

Discendo Vox posted:

I'd been paying for the Nib for awhile, and I was really upset to hear that it hadn't worked out as an enterprise. But there have been moments, like reading that Wells comic...
Yeah that was a good one. Gonna miss The Nib. I wonder where all those cartoonists will go.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Boris Johnson did not destroy the UK. He merely inherited it after it had already been destroyed, and pissed on it such that the gaps in the rubble were filled with piss

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also he was more a politician who wakes up in the morning and goes "welp time to gently caress" and then further destroys the country.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Microplastics posted:

Boris Johnson did not destroy the UK. He merely inherited it after it had already been destroyed, and pissed on it such that the gaps in the rubble were filled with piss

Considering his work with brexit he did quite a lot to destroy it.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

The Islamic Shock posted:

The thing that annoys me about "X party/politician wants to destroy America" is that even if you assume the worst about the target of your ire (they are only in it for money and power, so basically Ted Cruz), guess what happens if you destroy the country that gives you that money and power? A politician who wakes up in the morning and goes "welp time to destroy my country" might as well be saying "welp time to completely gently caress myself". That doesn't happen.

To be fair, when they say that [democrat] is going to destroy America they mean “white America.”

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Rowe:

To counter losing their new embassy in Canberra a Russian diplomat has decided to occupy the site by himself. Squatting Russian diplomat refusing to leave terminated Canberra embassy site (ABC).

Le Lievre:

Lethbridge 1:

Taylor Swift's Australian tour is not going to Queensland also rugby (Queensland wins State of Origin against NSW). Queensland MP and Taylor Swift mega fan pleads with star to come to Brisbane on tour (news.com.au).

Lethbridge 2:

Queensland is the state with the highest percentage against the Voice also rugby (State of Origin again).

Broelman:

'Am I dreaming?' Western Sydney dad $100m richer after lottery win (SBS).

Leak, Son of Leak:

After the bill for the referendum for Voice passed Dutton - who is campaigning No - called for the whole thing to be called off because if it fails it will damage reconciliation. Albanese responded by calling out these tactics and calling Dutton "totally devoid of empathy" so Dutton returned by calling out personal, hurtful remarks.

Leunig:

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lisa Benson

Jeff Stahler

Matt Davies

Pedro X. Molina

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

John Branch

Jimmy Margulies

Ed Gamble

David M. Hitch

Darrin Bell

Mike Peters

Randall Enos - The Undoer

Dave Whamond

Drew Sheneman

Adam Zyglis

Dave Granlund

Mike Thompson

David Horsey

Horsey is very upset that the city council elected not to enact criminal penalties for people possessing or publicly using drugs and sent the legislation back to committee for adjustment. No, really, that's what this cartoon is about.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
The hell, Horsey??? :psyduck:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The weak female Roman council allowing the strong male drug possessors to carry away all the Western women.

Horsey should lay off the fentanyl.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

horsey should commit to the bit. The Gothnics should be wielding bongs and syringes

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

idonotlikepeas posted:

David Horsey

Horsey is very upset that the city council elected not to enact criminal penalties for people possessing or publicly using drugs and sent the legislation back to committee for adjustment. No, really, that's what this cartoon is about.

I just assumed he was calling the homeless an invading army

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Should probably have just included this:

David Horsey posted:

Members of the Seattle City Council should put a photo of Eina Kwon by their beds and take a look at it every night when they go to sleep and every morning when they wake up.

Kwon is the pregnant woman who died, along with her unborn child, when she was shot last Thursday morning while sitting in a car with her husband waiting for a red light to turn green in Belltown. The alleged murderer is a man known to police because of his criminal record and his disturbed mental condition.

The man is far from the only person walking Seattle’s streets in a deeply agitated state, either due to drug addiction or mental health impairment or both. On any day, it is nearly impossible not to pass by someone yelling obscenities and epithets, fighting unseen demons. These troubled people engender pity and fear. Pity, because they urgently need help to find their way back to sanity. Fear, because it seems possible that all that anger and delusion could be turned against anyone.

Anyone like Eina Kwon.

Council members should also put up pictures of people who have died of drug overdoses in the city, although that many photos could fill an entire house. According to projections from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Washington will see 2,850 drug overdose deaths this year. A big share of those, of course, will be in the state’s biggest city — a city where the council failed to get in line with new state legislation that offers significant additional resources for dealing with the crisis on our streets.

In a recent column, my Times colleague, Danny Westneat, noted that in the carefully crafted legislation, “40 of the 48 pages are devoted to creating numerous pretrial diversion programs, treatment options and drug recovery centers to provide a host of paths away from both prosecution and the fentanyl life.”

A five-member council majority, however, rejected these new resources because the legislation includes minimal legal penalties for use of illicit drugs. The vote took place in a public meeting dominated by organized activists who were loud enough to scare Councilmember Andrew Lewis into voting no.

Now the issue has been pushed off to a working group because that is how things are done in this town. What comes of that process is anyone’s guess, but it is easy to predict what will happen as the city council dithers: more people will die.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Cloud Potato posted:

:britain:
gently caress Off Matt:

Did the UK not have The One Joke before now or are we just seeing the usual wave of lazy-assmanship typical of political cartoonists?

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
So living according to their own self-perceived identity makes them perform better? That's nice.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Drakyn posted:

Did the UK not have The One Joke before now or are we just seeing the usual wave of lazy-assmanship typical of political cartoonists?

Matt's technique is to just draw something he thinks is funny and then give it a caption that's vaguely related to some political thing. He's basically a one man New Yorker cartoon creation engine.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Drakyn posted:

There was a big thing about a schoolboy deciding he was a cat, so everyone remembered The One Joke and rolled it out in triumph

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Murdstone posted:

Yeah that was a good one. Gonna miss The Nib. I wonder where all those cartoonists will go.

I'm saying I hate it, and it exemplifies the worst qualities of the Nib. It's smug, bloody-mouthed and self-righteously cynical to the point of eliding facts in order to reach its position of detached nastiness (two of the victims included the 19-year-old son of one of the billionaires, who was pressured into attending, and the other was the guy whose company had salvage rights to the wreck and did a metric ton of education and history work regarding the Titanic). It communicates no sentiment or information of value. The Nib has produced a ton of excellent cartoons, including longform educational work. It's also produced a steady flow of this sort of selectively cynical work that lives up to its unofficial masthead: "Rise and shine! The world is doomed".

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jun 24, 2023

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I think it communicates the sentiment of "gently caress billionaires" pretty effectively.

Adenoid Dan
Mar 8, 2012

The Hobo Serenader
Lipstick Apathy
It's always a good day to laugh at billionaire deaths. They don't come often enough to pass up the opportunity.

The kid, sure, whatever. He's still not worth the coverage he's getting over the refugees who were killed at the same time.

Edit: I don't just think it's objectively funny and just, I believe it is good for people to see other people hating the rich and talking about how they made the world worse while they were alive.

Adenoid Dan fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jun 24, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drakyn posted:

They're currently going through a "at some schools there's students who identify as cats!" news cycle, as usual based on some weirdos making poo poo up whole cloth. But it gained enough traction that even major politicians have commented on it by now.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I thought the UK invented the One Joke

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

They bashed up some brown people at the colonies and stole the joke from them.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Seamus Jennings on the UK’s mortgage crisis – Struggling mortgage holders will be given a 12-month grace period before repossession proceedings begin, as part of measures agreed with banks and building societies after the Bank of England raised its key interest rate to 5%"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg ‘agree to cage fight’ in Las Vegas

The i paper:

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

The quotes around "change" make feel like this is supposed be incredulous, but the only way I can read it is that once rare weather phenomena are occurring more regularly.... due to climate change.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Imagine being a cartoonist right now, and knowing you have to comment on the news but poo poo keeps happening every hour.

Then you shrug, draw a confused bear, and call it a day. Working weekends is rough!

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

The quotes around "change" make feel like this is supposed be incredulous, but the only way I can read it is that once rare weather phenomena are occurring more regularly.... due to climate change.

Zyglis seems to be prone to accidentally making cartoons that state, or at least suggest, the opposite of what he wants to say. For the record, I'm fairly sure you have read it correctly; he is saying climate change is real, but the quotes make it seem like he was trying to say the opposite thing.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
i think he's just using quotes for emphasis

god drat lisa benson is still the most worthless cartoonist "guy i don't like sure acts in way i don't like!!" lol got'em again benson!!

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

From Le Monde:

Nouvelle flambée de violences en Cisjordanie/New wav of violence in the West Bank by Guffo from Mexico

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Clay Bennett

Jeff Danziger

Lee Judge

Mike Smith

Jimmy Margulies

David M. Hitch

Randall Enos

Bill Bramhall

Mike Thompson

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Man that guy really hates weed.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

First thing I thought of:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

Mike Thompson

Does this one think you're smoking it all in one go or something? I know basically gently caress-all about weed, especially dosage, but even I know that two pounds is "I've got a supply for a while so I don't have to run to the store every other day."

Five Year Plan
Feb 18, 2009

MechaCrash posted:

Does this one think you're smoking it all in one go or something? I know basically gently caress-all about weed, especially dosage, but even I know that two pounds is "I've got a supply for a while so I don't have to run to the store every other day."

Two pounds is a lot to have on hand for personal use no matter how you slice it, but probably not “I’m running a distributor business” level. Personally I think it’s good they’re setting the bar on the side of “let’s not get anybody who isn’t selling weed as a major business venture.”

e: for reference, when I was in college a little over a decade ago, a friend of mine once had… I can’t remember if it was a quarter pound or a half pound. I remember thinking “holy gently caress, that’s more weed than I’ve ever seen” but it’s not like 19-year-old me was any kind of authority on the subject. I think the value of that stash was on the order of a couple hundred dollars in my pre-legalization state at that time.

Five Year Plan fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 25, 2023

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
a half ounce lasts about a week and a half

L. Ron DeSantis
Nov 10, 2009

You're all making me feel like a real lightweight. I would stretch my $50 eighth for a month and I liked it, dammit!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

average joint is usually estimated to be like, half a gram, depending on who's rolling it, and 2 pounds is like 900 grams. That's like, 5ish joints a day, every day, for a year

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

So a half a Snoop Dogg level?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

TheFlyingLlama posted:

average joint is usually estimated to be like, half a gram, depending on who's rolling it, and 2 pounds is like 900 grams. That's like, 5ish joints a day, every day, for a year

The Family Pack size from Costco is intended to be a bulk purchase for a large home, not for the single man.