Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Alhazred posted:

And yet he was not as brutal as Edward Low who would burn people alive, flay them and force them to eat their own body parts.

aside from the forced cannibalism that was still at the time within the normal re punishments whether by the state or private

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Welp, guess I'm booting up Sid Meier's Pirates!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Brawnfire posted:

ugh but the sword fighting bits are so boring, its just timing therere no insults or anything

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
You can shout your own insults. It's okay, we (probably) won't judge.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

The diskette version is much better than the cassette version.

(Also programmed mostly in BASIC, as most things should be.)

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...
All this talk is tempting me to read George MacDonald Fraser's The Pyrates again.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Carthag Tuek posted:

ugh but the sword fighting bits are so boring, its just timing therere no insults or anything

That's true, I usually just gently caress homies up with grapeshot until they beg me to board them, just because swordfighting is so tedious.

For some reason I loving love ballroom dancing tho

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

There's also Erik of Pommern who was crowned the king of Denmark, Sweden and Norway in 1397 and left the throne in 1436 to become a pirate.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Cutthroats is the better pirate game imo

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Alhazred posted:

There's also Erik of Pommern who was crowned the king of Denmark, Sweden and Norway in 1397 and left the throne in 1436 to become a pirate.

Was he treated as a pirate, or an eccentric king? Did they try to hang him, or send out lightly guarded treasure ships every now and then to keep him occupied?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

Was he treated as a pirate, or an eccentric king? Did they try to hang him, or send out lightly guarded treasure ships every now and then to keep him occupied?

He left the throne because he lost a war and got usurped. After a decade of piracy, he became a duke in 1449.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Alhazred posted:

lol yea

also we have the expression "ad pommern til" (well people aged 40-50+ still say it maybe) that basically means "very (much/far)".

like "det stank ad pommern til" (it smelled like in pomerania) or "du ka da bare skride ad pommern til" (you can just gently caress off to pomerania)

no idea if its because of Erik hisself or the incredibly long distance to Pomerania

e: thinking on it, Pommern is probably euphony for Hell. no idea on dating tho

Carthag Tuek has a new favorite as of 23:46 on Jun 23, 2023

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Chamale posted:

He left the throne because he lost a war and got usurped. After a decade of piracy, he became a duke in 1449.

Life is a series of compromises

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

verbal enema posted:

Cutthroats is the better pirate game imo

Agreed. I always hoped to find another pirate game that was that good (and buggy)

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I remember playing Sea Dogs (2000) as a kid and not knowing the button to move from the 3D ship view to the fast travel map so I had to sail betweeen islands in real time.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

A fun historical fact: There's historical finds that suggest that Scandinavia were the victims of a bronze embargo during the bronze age that lasted for centuries. The ones responsible for it was the unetice culture who rose to prominens in 2200 BC. They had pretty much a monopoly on bronze trade and while the rest of Europe received plenty of bronze during that period, Scandinavia for some reason didn't. There's even been found flint daggers in Denmark made to resemble bronze daggers:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
we have bronze at home

the bronze at home

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

A fun historical fact: There's historical finds that suggest that Scandinavia were the victims of a bronze embargo during the bronze age that lasted for centuries. The ones responsible for it was the unetice culture who rose to prominens in 2200 BC. They had pretty much a monopoly on bronze trade and while the rest of Europe received plenty of bronze during that period, Scandinavia for some reason didn't. There's even been found flint daggers in Denmark made to resemble bronze daggers:

Back when buttplugs were still 2D.

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

Alhazred posted:

best beer in bohemia too.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

In my available litterature this is never really brought up but what are the signs of this embargo, just a lack of ? Raw materials for local production in 2000 BC appear to have been imported from the British isles (tin) and the eastern Alps (copper) and various bronze items from the unetice culture.

A relative lack of bronze could also be that Scandinavia were simply not very interested in that metal due to cultural factors, lifestyles and the prevalence of good flint. The scandinavian peninsula had a comparatively large amount of hunter gatherers compared to farmers during prehistory and recorded history and I doubt they had the same cultural craving for bronze.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Zudgemud posted:

In my available litterature this is never really brought up but what are the signs of this embargo, just a lack of ? Raw materials for local production in 2000 BC appear to have been imported from the British isles (tin) and the eastern Alps (copper) and various bronze items from the unetice culture.
That's why I wrote "suggest" instead of "clearly states". The bronze trade seemingly just stops south of Denmark. No bronze materials comes into what is now Scandinavia for centuries and a trade embargo could be one of the reasons.

quote:

A relative lack of bronze could also be that Scandinavia were simply not very interested in that metal due to cultural factors, lifestyles and the prevalence of good flint. The scandinavian peninsula had a comparatively large amount of hunter gatherers compared to farmers during prehistory and recorded history and I doubt they had the same cultural craving for bronze.
That the danes made copies of bronze daggers suggest that bronze was something they were interested in but didn't have access to.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Why they did it is an open question. Maybe it was a novelty thing or a fad.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Maybe the Scandinavians had bad vibes.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

:latestfad:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Extremely likely.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah, had..

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm feeling a "scandi folks derail the historical facts thread" derail coming on. Please do not.

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Your pleas mean nothing to us. We are vikings :ese:

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

I'm Swedish, bicth. I'm just tired of the whole schtick.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Philippe posted:

I'm Swedish, bicth. I'm just tired of the whole schtick.

"Swedish dogs! Your blood is tainted by generations of race mixing with Laplanders. You're basically Finns!" -Cornelius Hawthorne, Community

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Fine then, here's something I learned about recently. In Cornwall, in 1931, a reverend was appointed to St. Bartholomew's Church, one Fredrick William Densham. Now, he was a newcomer to the area and so had a honeymoon period of sorts, but soon his multitudes of eccentricities began to grate on the locals. These included:

Forbidding gambling (fair enough)
Painting the local church in a polychromatic hue (a bit aesthetically unpleasant, but not so bad)
Forbidding organ music (uh....)
Letting his pack of Alsatians run wild, resulting in one of the name 'Ghandi' killing a local sheep (oh)
Building an 8-foot wall of barbed wire around the church to keep the dogs in (not very welcoming)
Canceling Sunday school (!!!)

In light of these... Trespasses, the locals tried to have him kicked out, only for him to be exonerated. So they responded by refusing to go to church. Densham responded by continuing to give mass. To no-one. For over twenty years. We know this because he meticulously kept a journal, which often described the weather of the day, along with noting that no-one came to mass.

He apparently wasn't ENTIRELY despised, some people mentioned that he was nice enough in other ways, but still, it's a sad life when you manage to alienate your entire congregation for pretty much your entire career.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Critical mass

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

bulletsponge13 posted:

"Swedish dogs! Your blood is tainted by generations of race mixing with Laplanders. You're basically Finns!" -Cornelius Hawthorne, Community

A funny story (at least to me) is about Urho Kekkonen, who was a... Let's say prominent figure in Finnish politics. And Finland doesn't count as Scandahoovia, so I'll relate it here.

Finland fought and lost two wars against the Soviet Union back when Adolf was rampaging around Europe, and after the fact cordial relations had to be made. Fair enough, so we eventually wind up in a situation where Kekkonen, then prime minister of Finland, is visiting Josif Stalin, a man anyone would fear because Stalin was a monster. Anyway, Kekkonen finds himself taking a piss (literally) while Stalin is also in the elaborate restroom. So Stalin proceeds to ask Kekkonen, "gospodin Kekkonen, I hear you can speak Russian". Kekkonen, who was a kind of playful man at heart, replied, "If necessary, I can also not speak it."

Sassing Josif Stalin counts as a historical fact, I hope!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Samovar posted:

He apparently wasn't ENTIRELY despised, some people mentioned that he was nice enough in other ways, but still, it's a sad life when you manage to alienate your entire congregation for pretty much your entire career.
St. Kilda, way out in the Hebrides off Scotland, was inhabited way back to the Bronze age, maybe to the Neolithic age. It's desolate, the soil's poor, and you don't (didn't) get many visitors. Peak known population was in the late 1700s, maybe 180 people.

quote:

In 1885 J Acheson, a surgeon, reported that food was abundant on St Kilda but lacked variety. There were no fruit or vegetables, apart from a few poor quality potatoes. The islanders ate oatmeal, salted fowl, and seabird eggs during summer and salted mutton in winter. They obtained tea, sugar, flour and tobacco from tourists and from the owner's factor (Agriculture and Fisheries Department file,

What finally went wrong was a combination of disease brought by visitors (cholera, smallpox, tetanus, and of course the Spanish flu), emigration, and the Rev. John MacKay. He was a member of the Free Church of Scotland and was a very, very strict Sabbatarian. Wikipedia:

quote:

He introduced a routine of three two-to-three-hour services on Sunday at which attendance was effectively compulsory. One visitor noted in 1875 that: "The Sabbath was a day of intolerable gloom. At the clink of the bell, the whole flock hurry to Church with sorrowful looks and eyes bent upon the ground. It is considered sinful to look to the right or to the left."

Time spent in religious gatherings interfered seriously with the practical routines of the island. Old ladies and children who made noise in church were lectured at length and warned of dire punishments in the afterworld. During a period of food shortages on the island, a relief vessel arrived on a Saturday, but the minister said that the islanders had to spend the day preparing for church on the Sabbath, and it was Monday before supplies were landed. Children were forbidden to play games and required to carry a Bible wherever they went. Mackay remained minister on St Kilda for 24 years.

When you're already at a bare subsistence level, taking one day out of seven off from all food-producing activities makes things much worse.

Finally, for at least 150 years, 2/3 of newborn Kildans died of neonatal tetanus. On the one hand, fewer mouths to feed; on the other hand, not enough labor.

St. Kilda was finally abandoned by humans in 1930. Now it's a tourist site.

Source: https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/learning/features/stories-from-st-kilda, https://www.rcpe.ac.uk/college/journal/st-kilda-neonatal-tetanus-tragedy-nineteenth-century-and-some-twenty-first-century, and of course https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda,_Scotland.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I feel like if you're going to be such a motherfucker on Sunday, at least lay the gently caress off on Saturday. "Prepare for Church"?!? Bitch we got cargo

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It woulda been cool if he went missing and there was an olde timey investigator to search for him and woops everybody is a suspect

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Samovar posted:

Fine then, here's something I learned about recently. In Cornwall, in 1931, a reverend was appointed to St. Bartholomew's Church, one Fredrick William Densham. Now, he was a newcomer to the area and so had a honeymoon period of sorts, but soon his multitudes of eccentricities began to grate on the locals. These included:

Forbidding gambling (fair enough)
Painting the local church in a polychromatic hue (a bit aesthetically unpleasant, but not so bad)
Forbidding organ music (uh....)
Letting his pack of Alsatians run wild, resulting in one of the name 'Ghandi' killing a local sheep (oh)
Building an 8-foot wall of barbed wire around the church to keep the dogs in (not very welcoming)
Canceling Sunday school (!!!)

In light of these... Trespasses, the locals tried to have him kicked out, only for him to be exonerated. So they responded by refusing to go to church. Densham responded by continuing to give mass. To no-one. For over twenty years. We know this because he meticulously kept a journal, which often described the weather of the day, along with noting that no-one came to mass.

the masses aren't held for people but for god

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brawnfire posted:

I feel like if you're going to be such a motherfucker on Sunday, at least lay the gently caress off on Saturday. "Prepare for Church"?!? Bitch we got cargo

I feel like that if you know about boats it's entirely on you if you decide to stay on Misery Island.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Alhazred posted:

I feel like that if you know about boats it's entirely on you if you decide to stay on Misery Island.

i would have just eaten the minister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Alhazred posted:

St. Kilda is 40 miles from the nearest land.

quote:

The island has a mythical status because many people who plan to go there on a sailing holiday or day trip don’t actually get there, as the weather is so unpredictable. The high wave energy levels exceed any other site in the British Isles. Once a craft gets into the Atlantic and away from the shelter of the Isle of Lewis, any sort of bad weather in the Atlantic makes reaching St Kilda difficult. The islands, often named ‘The Islands at the End of the World’, have their own weather system. Gale force winds are experienced for a fifth of the year. Low temperatures and cloud with heavy rain can prevail for days or weeks, even in the summer months. Significant wave heights exceed 5 metres for 10% of the year and 1 metre for 75%. The highest winds recorded on St Kilda were in January 2015 with gusts of 188mph at the military base. Historical records indicate that the wind on St Kilda was sometimes so strong that the islanders’ sheep and cattle were blown over the cliffs. One visitor from the mainland reported that the sea beat so hard on the shore in a storm, it left the villagers deaf for a week. Trees refused to grow there and the few crops would sometimes become polluted with salt water. Fishing was considered too dangerous. Many St Kildians were drowned just a few hundred yards from their home in Village Bay.