Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

I think Putin’s mistake was not having enough armies. One army is a coup, two is a civil war but three? That’s how you win a war

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Most important thing is that US intelligence believes Wagner hasn't moved yet but is working on preparation to start their march.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

fatherboxx posted:

I am on my second bottle of wine but please behave and check your sources when you post tweets

Yuck, personally I can't stand the stuff. Tweets, I mean.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

MegaZeroX posted:

0% chance. Prigozhin has been formally charged, its been reported on state media, Russians in a variety of sectors are loving terrified, in many places special forces have been called up.

Interesting development. That and Lukashenko flying to Moscow make it appear the Kremlin expects something to happen. Guess I will grab a drink and settle in.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

mutata posted:

Hi, everyone, I'm here for the Potential Coup Viewing? Is it assigned seats or do we just sit anywhere?

It's a coup! You TAKE the seat you want, consequences be damned!

Was the bulk of Wagner's forces still stationed at Bakhmut or were they spread out after the winter offensive? There could be a massive unmanned hole in the Russian lines for the next few days.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

MegaZeroX posted:

Most important thing is that US intelligence believes Wagner hasn't moved yet but is working on preparation to start their march.

So apparently the guy is reporting this is from "The Messenger". Are they credible?

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Russia gonna nuke Russia.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Donkringel posted:

It's a coup! You TAKE the seat you want, consequences be damned!

Was the bulk of Wagner's forces still stationed at Bakhmut or were they spread out after the winter offensive? There could be a massive unmanned hole in the Russian lines for the next few days.

I vaguely recall that they were rotated out for Russian army regulars (if that's the correct milterm). Edit- at the end of the bakhmut offensive.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Assuming that Wagner is crushed and authority is reestablished I have a hard time seeing how the Russian population wouldn't lose a lot of faith in Putin and the fact that this debacle came so close to home and is so obviously due to internal divisions riven in his regime.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Willo567 posted:

So apparently the guy is reporting this is from "The Messenger". Are they credible?

The person is formerly AP investigative reporter, but I think I've heard others vouch for them

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

What a wild time. I can't really add anything except stay safe Fatherboxx o7

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Apparently Prigozhin claimed on Telegram to have entered Rostov

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/maryilyushina/status/1672380778628407298

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

khwarezm posted:

Assuming that Wagner is crushed and authority is reestablished I have a hard time seeing how the Russian population wouldn't lose a lot of faith in Putin and the fact that this debacle came so close to home and is so obviously due to internal divisions riven in his regime.

Putin's party controls all of main media. They get to colour the discourse how they will, and the majority will believe it because there are no alternative takes.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

khwarezm posted:

Dunno about population (Wagner's public profile has been mostly kept away from federal TV and existed on the Internet) but it definetely looks like the moment of uncertainty and unstability in leadership of the country when some important decisions and moves may be made.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

full translation of the new statement:

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672382280134799360

quote:

❗️New audio statement by Prigozhin (00:03 BST), stating Wagner "crossed state borders in all areas" and is now entering Belgorod, promising to "destroy anything standing in their way":

"The current situation: today, we were dealt a missile strike. After this strike, helicopters did their work. Then, artillery.

The orders were coming from the Head of General Staff to destroy PMC Wagner. After a meeting with the Minister of Defence Shoygu where they made this decision - to destroy the rebellious units, who are ready to defend the motherland, but not their asses.

As of now, we’ve crossed the state borders in all areas. Border guards came towards us and hugged our fighters.

Now, we’re entering Rostov. Units of the Ministry of Defence, in fact, the conscripts who were thrown to block our path, moved away.

We do not fight with children. We do not kill children. Shoygu is killing children by throwing untrained soldiers, conscripts included, into the war.

He set up 18-year-old lads against us. They’re like children and grandchildren to us. Therefore, these lads will live and return to their mothers.

We only fight with professionals. But if someone stands in our path, we will destroy EVERYTHING in our way.

We lend a hand to anyone. No need to spit in this hand. We are moving forward, going to the end.

Regarding claims regarding the arrest: this brotherhood, this justice, this honour, this conscience is what we have. But when you make these claims, you haven’t got these feelings. These feelings are destroyed. Thus, you cannot understand anything but betrayal."

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1672380087121895425

This guy isn't very sensationalist, and his reposts of media seem pretty well vetted.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Nenonen posted:

Putin's party controls all of main media. They get to colour the discourse how they will, and the majority will believe it because there are no alternative takes.

Historically things can change on a dime even for hardline dictatorships. Even if I'm a regular patriotic Russian that broadly believes the narrative about NATO encirclement and Ukrainian Nazis I seriously would have a very hard time squaring this with faith in the Putin regime when one of their illegal armies just tried to launch a coup, the same army that was touted as kicking Ukrainian rear end for the last year.

Like just the fact that this is happening at home in Moscow, and is clearly due to the massive internal conflicts in his regime as opposed to some comfortably foreign enemy would have me start asking a lot of questions.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1672385098891632640

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Is Putin going to replace Wagner troops in Africa, are they just going to repatriate themselves to those African counties or what?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

khwarezm posted:

Historically things can change on a dime even for hardline dictatorships. Even if I'm a regular patriotic Russian that broadly believes the narrative about NATO encirclement and Ukrainian Nazis I seriously would have a very hard time squaring this with faith in the Putin regime when one of their illegal armies just tried to launch a coup, the same army that was touted as kicking Ukrainian rear end for the last year.

Like just the fact that this is happening at home in Moscow, and is clearly due to the massive internal conflicts in his regime as opposed to some comfortably foreign enemy would have me start asking a lot of questions.

the feds are mobilizing in Moscow (and elsewhere) but afaict the rebels are in Rostov ATM which is very much not Moscow

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Is Putin going to replace Wagner troops in Africa, are they just going to repatriate themselves to those African counties or what?

They're mercenaries. They'll follow the money if authority goes belly up.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

We don't actually know where Wagner is. US intel has them still in place in Ukraine. Prigozhin says they're in Rostov and Belgorod.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen
https://twitter.com/maxseddon/status/1672387169648881664?t=esRWm4FyD9dSSE0mN7pfZg&s=19

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

how could anyone possibly know at this point in time

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

edit nvm

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

How exactly would Wagner get columns or whatever to Moscow? Do they have some kind of mobile anti air because it seems to me they would just get bombed into oblivion by Russian air on the way in? Do they already have significant forces there? I can't imagine that would be the case.

CSM
Jan 29, 2014

56th Motorized Infantry 'Mariupol' Brigade
Seh' die Welt in Trummern liegen

D-Pad posted:

How exactly would Wagner get columns or whatever to Moscow? Do they have some kind of mobile anti air because it seems to me they would just get bombed into oblivion by Russian air on the way in? Do they already have significant forces there? I can't imagine that would be the case.
It's also something like an eight hour drive from Ukraine.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672387845749702658

quote:

Prigozhin, audio statement at 00:31 BST, stating that Gerasimov "gave an order for planes to bomb moving Wagner columns". It is unclear if these columns exist in reality:

"Just now, the Head of General staff gave the order to raise planes and open fire at columns moving through civilian cars, through trucks. He doesn’t care whom to kill. They’ve been killing own civilians for 1,5 years now instead of fighting with the enemy.

I want to say thank you to the pilots who, as it just became known, refused to obey criminal orders."

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

khwarezm posted:

Well I would agree with that, and... in the end most people will not care, probably. Because they have other interests and it takes effort to figure out why this fringe extremist has revolted all of a sudden.

At the same time more people will come to the realisation that everything is not normal, because they get news from alternative channels.

DOOMocrat
Oct 2, 2003

I would really like some on the ground movement one way or the other verified, because right now this sounds, as much as it can sound like anything, like they just found the quest logs as you stand there surveying the failed experiment.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

This all reminds me of when those army officers tried to coup Erdogan back in 2016 except with somehow even less backing it up. Gonna be an interesting night regardless

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mutata posted:

We don't actually know where Wagner is. US intel has them still in place in Ukraine. Prigozhin says they're in Rostov and Belgorod.

Wagner is a big outfit. Total manpower is somewhere north of 20,000 at this point, so talking about a unitary "wagner" that you could follow around on a map is silly; it's widely distributed and even the part that is in Ukraine en masse is multiple brigade sized elements.

D-Pad posted:

Assuming it's not all Prigozhin fanfic the idea would be to pull a Blackshirt march on Rome / Hundred Days kinda thing and have the Russian military recognize that you are on their side and therefore decide not to obey their orders. In fact, he's already claimed this has happened in Rostov. Usually when you launch a (successful) coup its with some pretty careful planning and you have other coup-participating units in various key positions. It remains to be seen how amateurish this whole thing is, but clearly the current Russian government is worried.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

DOOMocrat posted:

I would really like some on the ground movement one way or the other verified, because right now this sounds, as much as it can sound like anything, like they just found the quest logs as you stand there surveying the failed experiment.

Yeah I feel like if there were any sort of big Wagner column or Wagner troops in Rostov we would have at least seen some sort of pictures of it by now like the pictures of troops in Moscow, even lovely blurry ones.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

D-Pad posted:

If there's any real plan to even try this, Prigozhin would have to have some substantial trust in regular Russian units that will join him along the way. Otherwise, even with the gutting of Russia's army by the war, that's way too much land and troops for Wagner to wade through.

Or he knows that Russia's army is even more gutted than we all think. My bets are on the former if he's going for Moscow at all.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

D-Pad posted:

They're obviously counting on mass defections from the Russian Army to make this work. We'll see what happens.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

New theory: this is a War of the Worlds style audio drama.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

D-Pad posted:

Wagner is framing it as a protest for justice march, not an invasion/coup/whatever. They're betting that the "common man" soldier will refuse to kill a (so far) peaceful protest march. They're betting that the average soldier hates Shoigu too. It's all very weird and seems to rely on a lot of goodwill from essentially random strangers. There's also no direct evidence of any large columns marching yet.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Deteriorata posted:

They're obviously counting on mass defections from the Russian Army to make this work. We'll see what happens.

Honestly? If Wagner's got even a quarter of the 50k troops they had before the war (plus armor and heavy weapons akin to what they were using at the front) there might not be much of significance between them and Moscow. Everything is in Ukraine and this is a period of very heavy fighting where they can't exactly just pack up and redirect a bunch of troops, especially if this isn't a kneejerk move and they took measures to delay that response. The Russian government is likely to be legitimately worried about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I know it sounds unlikely, but to me it seems a Russian leader has gotten puffed up on his own ego and maybe bitten off more than they can chew, but this time its from Ukraine into Russia instead of the other way around.