Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
I kinda want to try learning how to use gyro aiming but everyone and their grandmother has an opinion on how to implement it on the steam deck. Is there a "best" config/setup for gyro aiming for shooters/fps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

If the game uses iron sights a lot, map it to activate on L2 pull. If you want to try it all the time , which I’d recommend, map it to L3 touch.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm about to spend a week away in a cottage with various family and my wife has strongly suggested bringing the deck + dock as it's going to rain the whole time. What couch co op games should I buy / install before we leave? Already got Mario Kart 8 installed :mario:

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Quantum of Phallus posted:

If the game uses iron sights a lot, map it to activate on L2 pull. If you want to try it all the time , which I’d recommend, map it to L3 touch.

This is the way to go. I find the easiest way to get started it is to set it as "mouse look." Every time I've had gyro set as "joystick" it's turned into a big fuckaround with deadzones, curves, etc.

Some games might need a mod that will enable mouse controls while also allowing you to use the rest of the buttons as proper gamepad mapping (eg: Fallout NV), because not all games will allow both simultaneously by default.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Party Boat posted:

I'm about to spend a week away in a cottage with various family and my wife has strongly suggested bringing the deck + dock as it's going to rain the whole time. What couch co op games should I buy / install before we leave? Already got Mario Kart 8 installed :mario:

This is literally my situation. I'm actually debating bringing the deck. I mean, on one hand, videogames when the weather sucks, but also, I barely see my family now, and we're all staying in cottages nearby each other, so I'll probably stay a week away from my system.

But, again... Video games...

MarcusSA posted:

I really need to buy power wash simulator.

You know how some people say some games are "podcast games"?

Powerwash Simulator is like the king of that genre. Like there's not even a time limit involved, so even if you get pulled into whatever thing you're listening to, it's all good.

I started going through all of the AVGN's James & Mike Mondays, and let me tell you... Playing video games while listening to two friends gab about video games is just :discourse:

I don't even like Mike that much and it's still awesome.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jun 23, 2023

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Kwolok posted:

I kinda want to try learning how to use gyro aiming but everyone and their grandmother has an opinion on how to implement it on the steam deck. Is there a "best" config/setup for gyro aiming for shooters/fps?
Personally I think trackpad aiming is better than gyro, but I have both enabled. I don't know that there's a "best" config but you've gotten some good advice so far.

When using trackpad aiming make sure to use a "Gamepad with Mouse Trackpad" template, as that's much better than the (usually default) "Gamepad with Joystick Trackpad" template as long as the game supports simultaneous gamepad/mouse inputs (which most do, although sometimes they'll show keyboard icons).

When enabling gyro support you can configure it "As Joystick" or "As Mouse". Personally I find gyro tends to be much more forgiving about which mode to use here than trackpad and I tend to use "As Joystick" myself, but its correct that you may need to modify some of the default settings to get good in-game fine movement. Specifically you may need to modify the "Minimum Joystick X/Y Output Values" to make the in-game joystick deadzone, which is usually around 3000 or so. Too high and movement might feel jerky, but too low and small movements might get dropped entirely. Or you could just use "As Mouse".

By default, the templates enable gyro whenever you touch the right stick or right trackpad. I personally only enable gyro on right-stick touch since (when I do use gyro) I use the stick for coarse movements and gyro for fine. Enabling gyro on L2 is for third-person games where L2 enables aiming (Control).

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't understand how using the trackpad for aiming, which requires your thumb, to be better than gyro, if only for the fact that you don't necessarily need to press anything extra for gyro (unless you set it up that way).

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I find I can aim faster/more precisely with trackpad.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

This is literally my situation. I'm actually debating bringing the deck. I mean, on one hand, videogames when the weather sucks, but also, I barely see my family now, and we're all staying in cottages nearby each other, so I'll probably stay a week away from my system.

But, again... Video games...

Haha I think there'll be little to no solo gaming time as we're all in one big cottage, but I'm sure there'll be a Mario Kart tournament once our kid is in bed

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

How is diablo 4 portables is controller enough?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

ExcessBLarg! posted:

I find I can aim faster/more precisely with trackpad.

I can’t use the trackpad for anything but against the storm. I just suck with it.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Upsidads posted:

How is diablo 4 portables is controller enough?

You can play the entirety of Diablo 4 with a controller.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Trackpad and gyro set to mouse (trackpad set to mouse ball with medium friction), gyro activates on trackpad touch, set the in-game mouse sensitivity down and adjust the hardware sensitivity up accordingly. Flick the trackpad for quick turns, use regular thumb movements for wider aiming swings, use the gyro for fine aiming.

Works good for me, I can hold my own in online shooters really well. I never got on with setting the trackpad to joystick aiming, but I haven't tried it on the Deck, just the Steam Controller, so I might need to experiment.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007
I've never been able to get joystick gyro to feel right - to get it as responsive and receptive to fine movements as when it's set to mouse.

My favorite part to using gyro aiming is having to keep your hands steady when lining up a shot, or not panicking when you have a group of enemies running at you. It makes games like Stalker a lot more immersive, where flinching when something surprises you will cause you to miss a shot.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

So when I have a Bluetooth mouse hooked up it goes to sleep fairly fast and it takes a few seconds to connect again when I start using it, there any way to fix that?

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Some of the Jackbox games if you have internet!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

King of Solomon posted:

You can play the entirety of Diablo 4 with a controller.

Kinda. The battle net launcher at least for me doesn't recognize controller inputs, only touch screen,mouse or emulated mouse.

So you want a solution for that i suppose

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Powerwash Simulator is a powerful drug.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Kinda. The battle net launcher at least for me doesn't recognize controller inputs, only touch screen,mouse or emulated mouse.

So you want a solution for that i suppose

Oh yeah, I mean while in game. The launcher is a totally different story, and definitely requires some sort of mouse input (I tend to use the trackpad + back buttons as a mouse when dealing with launchers.)

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Any recommendations for a decent racing sim that runs at 60fps on the deck?

Not looking for anything super hardcore, more like whatever the current PC equivalent to Forza and Gran Tourism is.

Bouillon Rube fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 23, 2023

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

King of Solomon posted:

Oh yeah, I mean while in game. The launcher is a totally different story, and definitely requires some sort of mouse input (I tend to use the trackpad + back buttons as a mouse when dealing with launchers.)

Folks, the Deck has a touch screen. You can just press play.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I play docked a lot. :shrug:

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Party Boat posted:

Jackbox

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

who is he

Oh yeah, jackbox! I'm pretty sure the place we're going has wifi.

I already have jackbox 1 and 2. Googling suggests that 3 and 7 are the most popular ones?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Which would work better if the Deck's touchscreen took your touch as more than a very general suggestion of where to actually direct the input.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

If you swapped out your Steam Deck SSD, you might be interested in this kickstarter that will let you turn the old one into portable storage. If you haven’t, it’s a pretty decent price for a 2TB WD that should fit.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/shargetech/sharge-disk-the-ultimate-storage-solution-for-edc-device

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

Any recommendations for a decent racing sim that runs at 60fps on the deck?

Not looking for anything super hardcore, more like whatever the current PC equivalent to Forza and Gran Tourism is.

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've been having a great time with Wreckfest.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

pig labeled 3 posted:

Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I've been having a great time with Wreckfest.

I have been eyeing that one for a while. How arcade-y is it? What do you like more about it?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

It's definitely arcadey. It's not crazy taxi, but arcadey.

What I love about it myself is the fuckin crashes. What my wife loves is lawnmowers vs cars demo derbys.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
Haven’t played the Deck for a while because Zelda and now it seems Decky is gone. What happened?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Decky is what?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gone

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Decky can get uninstalled on some updates, but it's still around and amazing as ever?

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Saoshyant posted:

I have been eyeing that one for a while. How arcade-y is it? What do you like more about it?

I'd say it's a good balance between arcade-y and sim-like, skewing to the arcade side. Maybe leaning a bit more to the latter if you use manual transmission controls and if you get into the fine-tuning of your cars, and to the former if you skip all that poo poo and just drive auto. The physics feel great either way.

Like Squiggle said, the best part of it is the damage system - it's a blast. It's a fun game to get really aggressive in. There's a system where you score additional points for damaging other cars, with bonus points for damaging your "rival" (someone else who hit you first).

There's a mix of different events, like standard racing, demo derbies, demo racing (very short race tracks with many laps, often with the track crossing itself part-way), and then the hilarious poo poo like the lawnmower and couch car events.

pig labeled 3 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 24, 2023

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

I have it on my iPhone and it’s pretty good, so might check it out. It runs at a solid 60fps? That’s really the only non negotiable for me when it comes to racing games.

Squiggle posted:

It's definitely arcadey. It's not crazy taxi, but arcadey.

What I love about it myself is the fuckin crashes. What my wife loves is lawnmowers vs cars demo derbys.

It’s not quite a sim but I also wouldn’t call it arcadey- the physics model seems pretty nuanced in my experience, especially with all the assists turned off.

pig labeled 3
Jan 3, 2007

Bouillon Rube posted:

I have it on my iPhone and it’s pretty good, so might check it out. It runs at a solid 60fps? That’s really the only non negotiable for me when it comes to racing games.

I've never paid attention to it, but I tried a race ~just for you~.

It runs at a very solid 60fps on High graphic settings. On Ultra it's mostly 60 but will drop to ~50 if a lot is happening at once (lots of cars onscreen, poo poo flying everywhere). The difference between the two settings is a step up with shadows, reflections, grass, MSAA, SSAO, and godrays.

Suran37
Feb 28, 2009

Party Boat posted:

Oh yeah, jackbox! I'm pretty sure the place we're going has wifi.

I already have jackbox 1 and 2. Googling suggests that 3 and 7 are the most popular ones?

Get 3 for sure!

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

ok finally got tired enough of managing the 64gb drive I bought the 2tb alibaba drive for $130 and a fan upgrade from ifixit with the kit.

what do I need to do once the drive gets here before I put it into the system? I don't care about keeping any of my data around, doing a full reinstall is fine (though I think everything I have should be on my SD card since I used cryo to move it over).

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

pig labeled 3 posted:

I've never paid attention to it, but I tried a race ~just for you~.

It runs at a very solid 60fps on High graphic settings. On Ultra it's mostly 60 but will drop to ~50 if a lot is happening at once (lots of cars onscreen, poo poo flying everywhere). The difference between the two settings is a step up with shadows, reflections, grass, MSAA, SSAO, and godrays.

Awesome, thanks buddy :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Attn rog-havers

I guess they needed to one-up themselves after killing performance last update.

https://twitter.com/fanthedeck/status/1672023418403692549