Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

jisforjosh posted:

Yeah it's ridiculous from Reddit

Also they really need to work on self check out. Last week I stopped by for some stuff for work and was told by the lady checking memberships about how I can now use the scan gun myself without staff.

This week all scan guns were gone.

Yeah that story sounds super dramatic and I don't trust the writer, it seems like even if all of those things happened it was in the course of 15 seconds and not a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I don't a have problem with self checkout.

I do have a problem with being encouraged to use self checkout when I have a giant cart with $600 of poo poo in it. How does the logistics of that work? There's physically not enough space to put even a fraction of my poo poo. I need a belt as a buffer.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Remember when self-checkout used to say 5 or 10 items or less?

Yeah, they don't now. They want everyone to do it so they can fire the lazy no-good cashiers.

Last time I went to Walmart they had a self checkout section larger than my entire house (including the basement square footage).

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

Nobody wants to work

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Remember when self-checkout used to say 5 or 10 items or less?

Yeah, they don't now. They want everyone to do it so they can fire the lazy no-good cashiers.

Last time I went to Walmart they had a self checkout section larger than my entire house (including the basement square footage).

I fuckin hate it. I don't want to self check out, but do it often because theres no real checkout options at most stores. My local Lowes has one lane sometimes open, usually no lanes. Home depot same nearly. Grocery store has two. Costco has like 3-8 real lanes and they're long and I don't have too many items usually so it's in my best interest to go to self check and I hate it still. I hate it at Costco for the same reason I usually hate it at Lowes, my items are big and I resent having to handle them more than I need. If cat litter is on sale I'll buy all three I'm allowed. That's 126lbs of cat litter. So I'm waiting for the gun haver to scan it anyway.

Just employ cashiers ffs. It makes me want to do petty theft.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Also to add, most people aren't like me and aren't trying to do the self check as efficient as possible. I'm like the guy they say to hire because he's so lazy hell maximize how to do it the fastest so he can lay about. Last time I was at home depot some lady bought one item and it took her so loving long to checkout I was impressed. I used the same register, bought four packs of screws, and was walking behind her out the door. You catch the wrong timing and end up behind four scatterbrained idiots like her and the line backs up into the aisles.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Flip item around 15 times to get the dirty glass barcode lasers to scan my tuna packet.

It scans. Place in bag.

*place in bag*

Unexpected item. Remove item.

*remove, wait for it to register that you removed it, replace item*

*repeat*

Employee notified. Blinking light starts.

Wait a few minutes for someone to get to you because they are scanning their card to bypass some other bullshit going on with someone else.

:corsair: yeah yeah yeah

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
When it's really busy they have employees doing the scanning at self checkout in my Costco, which is annoying cause I'm faster than they are. I always do self check out cause I don't have to take anything outta the cart; faster and don't have to deal with the stupid scale. Scan scan scan tap my credit card and I'm gone.

And at Walmart, if your Walmart has 2 different kinds of self checkouts go to the bigger one. It has no scale to make it annoying. Just be aware it does record everything so if you pass something over the scanner without scanning it will call someone over and they review the video. I passed something over the scanner one time for non nefarious reasons and it called em over. I can't remember, I think I was holding something in my hand while scanning something else.

Otherwise I agree that self checkout is stupid if there's a scale which always sucks rear end and whines about unexpected crap

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Well that's great that they'd rather take the chance of someone stealing and hire a ton of security and spend millions(?) on security systems just to be able to charge me with theft for an accident.................................................................................

............................. rather than pay a person a decent wage to take care of that part for me.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Flip item around 15 times to get the dirty glass barcode lasers to scan my tuna packet.

It scans. Place in bag.

*place in bag*

*remove, wait for it to register that you removed it, replace item*

*repeat*

Employee notified. Blinking light starts.

Wait a few minutes for someone to get to you because they are scanning their card to bypass some other bullshit going on with someone else.

:corsair: yeah yeah yeah

At least my Walmart's don't even seem to check the weight or give a gently caress what you put in the bag, or if you just put the bags in your cart as you go. It's pretty nice. I prefer self checkout though, minimal awkward interaction where the cashier and myself both pretend to care about each other... Just need the attendant for the alcohol I'm probably buying, nice and quick.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Please stop giving the Walton's money. They are the #1 employer of America and are obviously a big factor in keeping wages down.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

I know there’s some way to share your membership, it was forever ago and I forget how I did it but I added my dad to mine and he still goes sometimes

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I hand my own card to my bf to scan in the self-checkout and no one's noticed for us specifically, but I have heard they've been cracking down.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Zero VGS posted:

I hand my own card to my bf to scan in the self-checkout and no one's noticed for us specifically, but I have heard they've been cracking down.

The last trip I made, they had an employee in front of the self-checkouts checking everyone's card as they got in line.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Renegret posted:

I don't a have problem with self checkout.

I do have a problem with being encouraged to use self checkout when I have a giant cart with $600 of poo poo in it. How does the logistics of that work? There's physically not enough space to put even a fraction of my poo poo. I need a belt as a buffer.

Why the gently caress don't we have the ability to just push a cart thru a scanner and it totals everything up in the year 2023.. Come on AI do something useful

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

pencilhands posted:

I know there’s some way to share your membership, it was forever ago and I forget how I did it but I added my dad to mine and he still goes sometimes

Business membership? My parents have one and they have me, my wife, and both my sisters on it all with our own cards. Downside is we don’t get the 2% back.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

Business membership? My parents have one and they have me, my wife, and both my sisters on it all with our own cards. Downside is we don’t get the 2% back.

No I just have the basic gold star one

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

pacerwpg posted:

Where are the rest of them?

They were camping and not at the co with me

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Last time I was at the ‘co my gf had to go take a poo poo while I went through the self checkout. I was using her card and the guy grumbled at me about it but let me check out anyway

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Weembles posted:

The last trip I made, they had an employee in front of the self-checkouts checking everyone's card as they got in line.

Yeah this happened today

I never use the self checkout

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I think they’ll end up rolling back at least some of this friction. It’s dumb to force the cardholder to pay. People who want to circumvent the system will obviously do it — the cardholder pays Costco and then the abuser pays the cardholder.

If they genuinely wanted to enforce this policy they should do it at point of entry. Otherwise they’re just sending mixed signals about what they want to discourage.

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I never use self checkout. I arrange my cart with everything code up as I shop. Once I'm up to checkout the transaction takes about a minute.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I went to Costco today and my wife stole somebody's card. I want to say it was the funniest thing ever to look at them looking back and forth at where they left their card wondering where the hell it had gone as she was trying to run away because I suggested to take the cart.

Has anyone else had their card stolen or stolen somebody's cart inadvertently thinking that the cart was unused. I mean it was loving hilarious but I want to say I was only minorly involved in the suggestion to take the card. So you can't all blame me for this action.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

pencilhands posted:

its the household card option, you get an additional card for one other person in the same address but im sure there are ways to game that

El Padrino
Dec 24, 2005

No es nada personal, solo negocios.
I don't see why it would be different in the US but Mexican church membership fee entitles you to 2 cards whenever you renew membership and up to 3 additional cards at around 14 bux each

WilltheMagicAsian
Dec 11, 2011

I picked up the 3 panel LED garage light 2 pack and they're eye searingly bright, well worth the purchase. I have the ability to make my garage almost daylight at any hour I please.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

AmbientParadox posted:

Yeah I finally had mine tonight. It’s 350 calories which is half the chocolate Sundae.

Also Costco out the melona ice cream bars on sale for $9. Heckuva deal for 24 ice cream bars

Especially true because Melona bars at their typical home in the asian market are expensive as gently caress. I'm pretty sure I saw like, a 4 pack at H Mart for $7 a while ago.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I don't know how I've never noticed muffins are two 6-packs for $9.99.

Turns out they thaw pretty well!

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

Kaddish posted:

The two bakery items thing has to be the biggest point of confusion in the store.

Paid out my tithe yesterday to receive continued blessings through 5/31/2024

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Kaddish posted:

Lol I went yesterday and got a pack of corn muffins and was like drat thats a good deal and I got to checkout and the lady was like “muffins are buy one get one free” and I got so excited

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Tremendous value!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

I went to Costco today and my wife stole somebody's card. I want to say it was the funniest thing ever to look at them looking back and forth at where they left their card wondering where the hell it had gone as she was trying to run away because I suggested to take the cart.

Has anyone else had their card stolen or stolen somebody's cart inadvertently thinking that the cart was unused. I mean it was loving hilarious but I want to say I was only minorly involved in the suggestion to take the card. So you can't all blame me for this action.

Was card a typo for cart like 2/3rds of the time in this post?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Went to my usual costco for the first time this week, they've got a employee by the self checkouts who is borderline aggressive stopping everyone demanding to see costco cards.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

My Costco moved the diapers and formula from way in the back to all the way up front, and I felt like such a chump making that huge loop around the warehouse.

Gyro kit is better than I thought would be.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
the gyro kit is good, probably our favorite ready made thing for summertime

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
I heard some people get hella gassy from it. Which is a positive IMO.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
are these people familiar with gyro meat

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I warned y'all about them checking cards like a week ago. :rolleyes:

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Oh, and today they were checking people's CostCo cards to make sure it was actually the person who had the card. The employee said that during the pandemic they got lax about that, and are now cracking down on card sharing.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

StormDrain posted:

Was card a typo for cart like 2/3rds of the time in this post?

Cart not card woops

But yeah she drunkenly stole someone's cart. And then walked past the lady she took it from like 4 times trying not to look guilty.

Probably one of the funniest things I've ever seen. The cart was empty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

Chinatown posted:

I heard some people get hella gassy from it. Which is a positive IMO.

:thumbsup: