Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Well God willing this will all shake out into some sort of collapse of Russian forces without Ultranationalist management taking over for the already supernationalist government; I also hope Xi is looking at this and rechecking his calculus wrt Taiwan, and realizing that victory is anything but assured and defeat could be ruinous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I wonder how many surrenders Ukraine is dealing with at the moment, because right now would be the best time to throw up a white flag, and get a better deal than whatever is to follow back home.

Didn't kill Wagner as they were leaving? Jail
Didn't attack Ukraine as they were leaving? Jail
Wagner wins, change of management? Believe it or not, Jail.

I'm kidding of course, but I can't imagine life is about to improve for many of these guys no matter what happens.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

lmao

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
UA should be blasting that on the airwaves, telegram channels, and quad copter delivered pamphlets.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

what tom clancy book covered this eventuality

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
what a quangomire

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

As someone with an extremely useful Roman history degree I can tell you that one of your generals deciding to go into business for himself and seize a major city with the army that's loyal to him and not the state never causes any long-term problems

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

there's footage of both omon on the streets in rostov and, according to fairly credible people, eg prominent russia-focused journalists, wagner personnel and vehicles also on the streets in rostov. very notably no sounds of gunfire in videos, which is very peculiar. also very possible that who is what is being misidentified, but also not seeing a lot of unit markings either. kind of a 2014 vibe tbh

Omon's job is to beat up peaceful protestors 6-on-1 while armed in riot gear, not to fight mercs with tanks.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

As someone with an extremely useful Roman history degree I can tell you that one of your generals deciding to go into business for himself and seize a major city with the army that's loyal to him and not the state never causes any long-term problems

I agree completely

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
some of this footage is wild of just civilians hanging out

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1672435335060496385

https://twitter.com/AricToler/status/1672438231009304576

we're now in the "yeah something is definitely happening because the social media videos are coming out, but we don't know about force size" phase

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

M_Gargantua posted:

So regardless of how this change in military leadership turns out this is a great data point for next gen cyberwar: its a perfect blend of all the media you need to make your enemy think a coup is in progress. Building tension? Check. A few unhinged rants walking the boarder of acceptable anti-establishment speech? Check. Google maps traffic data blowing up for both steets and mass transit? Easily falsifiable. Videos of coup troops? Just flood the field with clips of questionable source with the right time of day. AI generate some specific stuff if you need. Mass telegram messages telling family and friends that its going down? Easily faked. Like you can just look at everything assaulting the channels right now and make a check list of how you could fake it with just enough real juice so that the next morning your enemies are gunning each other down because they believe the *false* narrative and now they're shooting first and asking questions second.

Mass confusion in an active warzone along existing lines of tension. Juice it and see what shakes out. Especially if you have some partisans doing real damage to amplify the message.

But Wager is not a few partisans, its an oversized motorized division with a few mechanized battalions. IF they've been convinced their option is to either replace the MoD or catch a bullet in a purge then the MoD is done. You can't put up a good fight against that sheer quantity of infantry behind your front lines.

yeah pretty much. the overnight footage was all incredibly generic, not a single instance of someone going 'holy gently caress this is rostov why are there tanks here' or some similar variation that you always seem to get in spontaneous footage of people recording extaordinary thing. every low-quality telegram channel no one had ever heard of was blasting breaking coup reports etc. then two hours later there's tanks outside the southern military district headquarters.

the one big thing I'd add to this though is that rosgvardia and omon were out and about in Rostov late last night/early this morning (I'm basing this off of seeing footage of both from Rostov) and whatever the situation was there, it resolved with little/no gunfire, which is not something that would fill me with confidence if I worked in ru MoD.

also lol that we discussed almost exactly this situation 3 weeks ago

OddObserver posted:

Omon's job is to beat up peaceful protestors 6-on-1 while armed in riot gear, not to fight mercs with tanks.

no of course not, though i'll note that in this case they were deployed with like american police levels of gear, not riot stuff

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jun 24, 2023

Action-Bastard
Jan 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1672435904613416960?s=20

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

facialimpediment posted:

we're now in the "yeah something is definitely happening because the social media videos are coming out, but we don't know about force size" phase

seems like a pretty big deal that the larger Rosgvardia force let Wagner by untouched

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Kesper North posted:

seems like a pretty big deal that the larger Rosgvardia force let Wagner by untouched

Probably a lot of ‘I’m not getting paid enough for this poo poo’ moments.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Imo it is time for Russia to drop a warning nuclear bomb on Russia to show Russia that Russia means business

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Oscar Wilde Bunch posted:

Probably a lot of ‘I’m not getting paid enough for this poo poo’ moments.

bunch of words from an account that is pretty much a media outlet for ru air force that conveys quite a vibe

'no one is dying for prigozhin' 'absolutely no one at all is dying for shoigu'

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Good article on the origins of what the gently caress is exactly going on and why:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2023/06/russia-crisis-coup-prigozhin/674516/

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Somehow, Palpatine Crassus returned.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

facialimpediment posted:

Good article on the origins of what the gently caress is exactly going on and why:

https://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2023/06/russia-crisis-coup-prigozhin/674516/

Yeah that was interesting with the different possible explanations and scenarios, thanks!

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011

the atlantic posted:

...claiming that Russia’s war in Ukraine was all the result of a giant plot by defense bureaucrats to mislead Russian President Vladimir Putin into a pointless conflict.
So he's giving putin an out, I guess

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

moscow, third rome

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

CNN says Prigozhin says his units got hit by a chopper on the Moscow Highway and plans to :killdozer: anything in his way.

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Colonel Kurtzgozhin

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Ruslan says less than 100 Wagner soldiers are in Rostov, that's a really small part of their forces.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The X-man cometh posted:

Ruslan says less than 100 Wagner soldiers are in Rostov, that's a really small part of their forces.

Really? How has the MoD not cleared out just 100 Wagner mercenaries out of Rostov?

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

The X-man cometh posted:

Ruslan is saying a lot of things, including that the armed men entering the MOD building in Rostov are not Wagner. Which, tends to run counter to what a lot of other analysts are saying. That's not to say he's wrong, though.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
Quote not edit

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sir John Falstaff posted:

Ruslan is saying a lot of things, including that the armed men entering the MOD building in Rostov are not Wagner. Which, tends to run counter to what a lot of other analysts are saying. That's not to say he's wrong, though.

tbf if it isn't wagner sieging the southern military district hq then ru mod has a far, far bigger problem

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Torrannor posted:

Really? How has the MoD not cleared out just 100 Wagner mercenaries out of Rostov?
They've got guns Torrannor, someone could get hurt.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Herstory Begins Now posted:

tbf if it isn't wagner sieging the southern military district hq then ru mod has a far, far bigger problem

Meant more about the 100 troops, but tbf nobody really seems to be sure what's going on.

windshipper
Jun 19, 2006

Dr. Whet Faartz would like to know if this smells funny to you?
Yep, it’s happening.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/06/24/wagner-coup-russia-us-reaction-joe-biden-vladimir-putin/

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
Truly Tom Clancy was a sage

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I've seen random Twitter takes saying that this is just an attempt to weed out dissenters. Is there any chance that's true? It seems like a bad idea though because what if your honeypot coup turns into a real one?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Alright now all we need is an Onion article along the lines of "Biden Press Conference: In light of recent events in Russia, I am hereby ordering the military to confiscate any arms more deadly than paintball markers from <Whatever Blackwater calls themselves these days"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Clancy was incredibly wrong because all of his ideas revolved around a smart and competent opponent of America..

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Spoggerific posted:

I've seen random Twitter takes saying that this is just an attempt to weed out dissenters. Is there any chance that's true? It seems like a bad idea though because what if your honeypot coup turns into a real one?
Wagner could be playing kickball with Putin's head and they'd be like IT'S AN OP :byodood:

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Spoggerific posted:

It's far too damaging to the regime's credibility to lose a major city to rebels for it to be a ploy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Cugel the Clever posted:

It's far too damaging to the regime's credibility to lose a major city to rebels for it to be a ploy.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I'll just stay away from Twitter since I'm just too dumb to filter the bullshit out from the few useful sources. Sorry for being a reactionary idiot.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Wild, earlier today I was ready to write the whole thing off as another case of the internet rumor mill going haywire. Wonder how this weekend is going to shape up :f5: