Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Guavanaut posted:

Lotharius playing the long game.

At least they left Brittany alone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Lmao at the way Finland is divided. Gonna get some useful data from that Finland Proper-to-Leningrad Oblast belt.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

TinTower posted:

Île-de-France being incredibly rich whilst the rest of the country flounders proves that, just like with institutionalised pedophilia, the French are basically just continental Brits.

rather, the british are mere island frenchmen
there was a whole event folks may have heard of

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Only the nobs though

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
What cities / military installations are between them and Moscow? When looked up Voronezh I saw it was pretty close to the border; didn't realize they'd actually traveled all the way up from the south to get there.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Koramei posted:

What cities / military installations are between them and Moscow? When looked up Voronezh I saw it was pretty close to the border; didn't realize they'd actually traveled all the way up from the south to get there.

half of wagner went to vornezh directly the other half went to Rostov which is the HQ for the military division doing most of the Ukraine war stuff to capture that and then the guys not needed for occupation went north to join the others.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Koramei posted:

Not much, that map is already very obsolete, they've been spotted driving through northern Tula oblast (which has a governor reportedly friendly with Prigozhin) and approaching Moscow at a steady pace. As for what's in their way... Well, the loyalists have been trying to barricade roads with parked trucks and to tear up the highways with excavators, so far to no effect. Otherwise the only ready units are cops and lightly armed Rosgvardia goons. Kadyrov's Akhmat troops are supposed to counterattack at Rostov, but have been seemingly "stuck" at the same spot for the whole day.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

steinrokkan posted:

Not much, that map is already very obsolete, they've been spotted driving through northern Tula oblast

Source?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

You don't need sources for Tula, they are in Moskva now https://news.yahoo.com/wagner-rebel...9w4BdZbmKxTmot1

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
And apparently they've turned around now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Why should Ukraine take this route? Because it gives them the option to do this:

Just want to bring this back given recent developments.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

agreed

and also texans are america's french and bavarians are germany's french

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Armacham posted:

At least they left Brittany alone

Brittany didn't leave them alone though, in 843 they beat Charles at the Battle of Ballon and briefly took control over the Breton Marches which is most of what's considered Upper Brittany today. In 849 the Bretons began to raid the Marches again and when their king Nevenoe died in 851 during a raid his son Eripsoe took over, beat Charles more convincingly at the Battle of Jengland and signed the Treaty of Angers that gave Brittany the Breton Marches, Charles gave Eripsoe royal regalia and recognized their independence.

Here's the maximum extent of Brittany's territory.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Soviet Commubot posted:

Brittany didn't leave them alone though, in 843 they beat Charles at the Battle of Ballon and briefly took control over the Breton Marches which is most of what's considered Upper Brittany today. In 849 the Bretons began to raid the Marches again and when their king Nevenoe died in 851 during a raid his son Eripsoe took over, beat Charles more convincingly at the Battle of Jengland and signed the Treaty of Angers that gave Brittany the Breton Marches, Charles gave Eripsoe royal regalia and recognized their independence.

Here's the maximum extent of Brittany's territory.

whats the terrain like there? is that place difficult to conquer?

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

ChubbyChecker posted:

whats the terrain like there? is that place difficult to conquer?

Not particularly. It's largely flat with a few sizeable rivers and forests, assuming you're talking about the Breton Marches and east of them. The only real terrain that would be difficult is the Monts d'Arrée or Menez Are in the center of Brittany which is the remains of an ancient mountain range with a highest point at like 400m or so.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

400 meters is a slight hill.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

FreudianSlippers posted:

Yeah but when you live in a very flat place it's all you've got. See the towering Porcupine Mountains for another hilarious example.

Those who are brave and dedicated enough may even be able to scale Mount Arvon the highest summit of the Porkies at 603m. The summit is indicated by the blue sign.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When like 1000 french guys turn up and take charge that doesn't make everyone else french

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
It was more than that wasn’t it? I thought genetic evidence implies the immigration actually left a mark. Not nearly as much as the Germanic migrations but not nothing.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

FreudianSlippers posted:

I mean, if it was a 400 meters cliff/mesa it'd be a pretty formidable barrier.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Koramei posted:

It was more than that wasn’t it? I thought genetic evidence implies the immigration actually left a mark. Not nearly as much as the Germanic migrations but not nothing.

The Normans were norse descendents and the French nobility are going to have had a fair bit of frankish german genetics, I'm not sure how clear any genetic markers are to distinguish those populations from the centuries of norse and north german settlement

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Did someone say bad maps?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All areas not coloured in do not have genetics, biological entities outside of confirmed genezones should be considered hostile. Avoid contact at all costs.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Fens having a genestealer cult would be the least surprising thing about them.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

OwlFancier posted:

All areas not coloured in do not have genetics, biological entities outside of confirmed genezones should be considered hostile. Avoid contact at all costs.

sir, they've breached the yorkshire containment wall.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Koramei posted:

There was the sorta-genocide of the Danes too, which you can still sort of see, I guess, in Guavanaut's map? The border between the blue and red areas in Yorkshire pretty much follows the course of the River Aire, which was the starting point for William's campaign from there to the Scottish border.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

https://twitter.com/SlavaMalamud/status/1672588687874621440

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ukrainian counteroffensive contesting Magnitogorsk is very bad news for Putin.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

Guavanaut posted:

"DNA in West Yorkshire is unique within the entire UK."

I guess everyone else in the UK is an identical twin.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
New Black Mirror premise just dropped.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Guavanaut posted:

As far as I can tell the unshaded areas are Norwegian DNA

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Space Kablooey posted:

As far as I can tell the unshaded areas are Norwegian DNA

Definitely untrue considering central Wales.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

The English would insist that the unshaded area is all Polish DNA, possibly Muslim.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
Come to Yorkshire and try to explain that it's actually part of southeast England, I dare you

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

Not much, that map is already very obsolete, they've been spotted driving through northern Tula oblast (which has a governor reportedly friendly with Prigozhin) and approaching Moscow at a steady pace. As for what's in their way... Well, the loyalists have been trying to barricade roads with parked trucks and to tear up the highways with excavators, so far to no effect. Otherwise the only ready units are cops and lightly armed Rosgvardia goons. Kadyrov's Akhmat troops are supposed to counterattack at Rostov, but have been seemingly "stuck" at the same spot for the whole day.

What are your sources? I had a hard time following this whole affair.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

ContinuityNewTimes posted:

Come to Yorkshire and try to explain that it's actually part of southeast England, I dare you

Gonna confuse them and claim they're part of the Southwest, bust out a cider.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Count Roland posted:

What are your sources? I had a hard time following this whole affair.

It's all just Twitter ephemera... Sadly I doubt there will be a comprehensive write up featuring all the batshit minutae of the day for a while.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Grape posted:

Definitely untrue considering central Wales.

thats what the orkney legend points to :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWmDp9uN8kw&t=463s

What's this olde map? I can't read any of the text