Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's cool how the fire code used to be "yeah just punch a hole in the drywall if you want". It's like there was a shortage of saws or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

gooby pls posted:

Sounds like a speedy cutover

https://youtu.be/saRir95iIWk

OK now I'm looking through all the other stuff on the Archives section on AT&T's tech channel and they have some neat stuff there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Is9s9PgQFM

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

There's a great video where some massive exchange in NYC (maybe) got burned out and due to the size of the company and the fact they were also the manufacturer they pulled in people from all over the country, diverted hardware that was due to go out to other areas and adapted it for the rebuild, expedited cable manufacturing, dragged in trailers of payphones etc. and had everything up in a couple of weeks. Not sure you could do that now where everything is a contract with a third party.

E: This one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AWAmGi-g8

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Renegret posted:

I don't know poo poo about phones but this is terrifying

A coworker is a old school phone guy, started back in the late 70s and has a story about a guy welding a screwdriver to a phone system when he accidentally dropped it in the box. Lot of juice in those systems to provide the ring.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Wasnt that one of the original push backs to VOIP? That regular copper lines still had enough juice in them to work during power outages and stuff?

Old telephony is just so interesting to read about, but Im glad I dont have to work with it. Though I am old enough to have used a butt set and done some work with the old POTS stuff.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Wasnt that one of the original push backs to VOIP? That regular copper lines still had enough juice in them to work during power outages and stuff?

Old telephony is just so interesting to read about, but Im glad I dont have to work with it. Though I am old enough to have used a butt set and done some work with the old POTS stuff.

A lot of critical stuff still uses copper lines, or has them as a fallback, precisely because they’re so reliable. Copper trunks going down is so much rarer than internet service or PRI or SIP circuits going down and with a good UPS you can keep some plain digital (not IP) phones going pretty easily through a power outage.

I’ve worked on stuff like a mental health support line call centre system, and yeah, they’re not about to trust a SIP trunk (especially from our local provider…), they’ve got a dozen copper POTS trunks in a hunt group. And they have contingency plans in place to reroute calls to a different physical location.

You’ll occasionally get a copper trunk fail or degrade but that usually happens slowly a pair at a time.
I’ve been doing telephony stuff in my current job for >6 years and I’ve seen SIP and PRI trunks go down all the time but the only occasion I can remember where anyone with normal landlines had total loss of service was that time when a city work crew repairing a burst water main took a backhoe through the main backbone between two of the main local telecom exchanges.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I believe I read that Verizon is abandoning their copper infrastructure around here and putting in FIOS. I don't like it, I like that emergency phones used to work during power outages, but I guess regulators didn't care enough.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Last place I worked, it was a requirement to have a pots line for the elevator phone in case the power went out and you were stuck in there.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

UPSes that are monitored and tested gets you around the power loss issue, and for life-critical services you use diversely routed fibre so that digging one route up doesn't cause a problem. There's no inherent reason why POTS needs to be more reliable than IP, I think people are just used to paying telephone line rental money and getting something incredibly robust as a result, even if a lot of that is by accident rather than anything that the phone company promises.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

guppy posted:

I believe I read that Verizon is abandoning their copper infrastructure around here and putting in FIOS. I don't like it, I like that emergency phones used to work during power outages, but I guess regulators didn't care enough.

In the UK, copper has been declared obsolete and is being replaced, and they no longer do analogue-only phones or DSL. Fibre for all!*

* except, you know, where it's the slightest effort.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

divabot posted:

In the UK, copper has been declared obsolete and is being replaced, and they no longer do analogue-only phones or DSL. Fibre for all!*

* except, you know, where it's the slightest effort.

They decommissioned the copper network in Norway not long ago.

A lot of places are now on 4G/5G bullshit and that's hardly a proper replacement.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I can't imagine the hell that is losing your copper internet and being forced onto 5G.

Fiber's great and all but copper is still perfectly viable.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Thanks Ants posted:

you use diversely routed fibre so that digging one route up doesn't cause a problem.

I worked at an investment bank in Tokyo that did this. They had two data centres, once in the same building and one in Osaka. There were two network links to Osaka, and the vendors were specifically chosen so that one routed left out of the building and up the street, and one routed right out of the building and down the street; as well as one going along the Pacific coast and one going along the spine of the island.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Weatherman posted:

I worked at an investment bank in Tokyo that did this. They had two data centres, once in the same building and one in Osaka. There were two network links to Osaka, and the vendors were specifically chosen so that one routed left out of the building and up the street, and one routed right out of the building and down the street; as well as one going along the Pacific coast and one going along the spine of the island.

that's pretty neat

Nerdlord Actual
Apr 14, 2007

Awaken to your true self with Wisconsin Potatoes
Grimey Drawer
I think I told this story before byt at my old radio job, one day we came into the office and none of the phones or internet worked, which was an issue because that's how radio works these days, even in the 2010s.

It turns out GTE/Frontier sold off our entire bank of numbers without realizing they were actually connected to accounts that had been there for 60 years.

Telecoms, man

Weedle
May 31, 2006

i'm installing something called a BOFA filter today. my boss said BOFA like a dozen times while she was explaining it to me. this is the most my self-control has ever been tested

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Weedle posted:

i'm installing something called a BOFA filter today. my boss said BOFA like a dozen times while she was explaining it to me. this is the most my self-control has ever been tested

you passed the test, but at what cost?

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Mr. Fix It posted:

you passed the test, but at what cost?

He will diminish, and pass into the West.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Weedle posted:

A fate worse than death.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Today I learned that my department is the #2 fastest in the entire company in ticket times.

... This is because 95% of the tickets assigned to us are done so incorrectly so it lives in our queue for only a minute or so before we angrily send it back.

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
A ticket came in: "Cannot connect to wife"

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

klosterdev posted:

“Did you try turning her on?”

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Entropic posted:

A lot of critical stuff still uses copper lines, or has them as a fallback, precisely because they’re so reliable. Copper trunks going down is so much rarer than internet service or PRI or SIP circuits going down and with a good UPS you can keep some plain digital (not IP) phones going pretty easily through a power outage.

I’ve worked on stuff like a mental health support line call centre system, and yeah, they’re not about to trust a SIP trunk (especially from our local provider…), they’ve got a dozen copper POTS trunks in a hunt group. And they have contingency plans in place to reroute calls to a different physical location.

You’ll occasionally get a copper trunk fail or degrade but that usually happens slowly a pair at a time.
I’ve been doing telephony stuff in my current job for >6 years and I’ve seen SIP and PRI trunks go down all the time but the only occasion I can remember where anyone with normal landlines had total loss of service was that time when a city work crew repairing a burst water main took a backhoe through the main backbone between two of the main local telecom exchanges.

The last two in person jobs I’ve had (both school districts) used Jive / GoToConnect and both jobs had the regular internet phones, plus Jive backup boxes in the MDFs that allow a few copper lines in a network outage routed to the IP phones

It’s actually pretty slick

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Renegret posted:

Today I learned that my department is the #2 fastest in the entire company in ticket times.

... This is because 95% of the tickets assigned to us are done so incorrectly so it lives in our queue for only a minute or so before we angrily send it back.

Sounds like you have a rival. You know what to do.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

klosterdev posted:

rafikki posted:

“Did you try turning her on?”

This is excellent.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Deuce posted:

Sounds like you have a rival. You know what to do.

Yeah

Handle the 4 tickets sitting on us since April that nobody wants to deal with.

Tickets Georg is an outlier and should not have been counted.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Just ran into a message sent by security to one of dev teams:

quote:

you guys come up with the greatest of test IPs btw, how on earth do you pick a USA Department of Defense Network Information Center IP to add to one of our environments

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo: that's not good

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
DoD lays claim to some internal IP spaces that you can in fact use just fine and I’m assuming the infosec people writing that message don’t know that

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Very likely that is the case, but the point is that people should not add random IP addresses they have no idea who they belong to for testing.

To clarify, because it's not apparent from the previous post, "add" in this case refers to whitelist.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

i am a moron posted:

DoD lays claim to some internal IP spaces that you can in fact use just fine and I’m assuming the infosec people writing that message don’t know that
Has the DoD ever actually come out and said "we're not ever going to route these addresses to the internet, feel free to use them as internal addresses" or is this just a "well they haven't announced these ranges in 30 years so they probably aren't going to"

I mean I know it's somewhat common to use DoD ranges for internal addressing, but that doesn't mean it's "just fine" to do so.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Well last I checked they used them internally across a million different segmented networks so it would be a huge shitshow for the DoD if they started peeling them off for public use. I’m guessing. Or not. You can use whatever you want internally tbh there aren’t internal IP CIDR police that are going to come and arrest you. Might gently caress your stuff up though depending on what it’s overlapping with

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You overlap a subnet with the various interconnected computers on the F-22 FireWire bus and the next print job you send detonates the ejection seat

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

The Claptain posted:

Just ran into a message sent by security to one of dev teams:

:stonk:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

i am a moron posted:

Well last I checked they used them internally across a million different segmented networks so it would be a huge shitshow for the DoD if they started peeling them off for public use. I’m guessing. Or not. You can use whatever you want internally tbh there aren’t internal IP CIDR police that are going to come and arrest you. Might gently caress your stuff up though depending on what it’s overlapping with

i mean tonnes of people used 1.1.1.1 to send their garbage and then cloudflare bought it

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Thanks Ants posted:

You overlap a subnet with the various interconnected computers on the F-22 FireWire bus and the next print job you send detonates the ejection seat

Ink . . . jet?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

JohnCompany posted:

Ink . . . jet?

Boo this man

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

vanity slug posted:

i mean tonnes of people used 1.1.1.1 to send their garbage and then cloudflare bought it
Exactly what I'm getting at.

If the DoD for whatever reason decided to peel off a chunk of one of the traditionally non-public ranges and use it for something public facing, say some kind of veterans resource, everyone who's using that range internally would find themselves in the same situation as when 1.1.1.1 exposed that stupid Cisco WLC default that apparently no one ever changed, among others.

I have no idea how likely such a scenario is, but there sure were a lot of people confident that 1.x.x.x was going to remain unused forever too.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 6, 2023

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

continuing to work on the computer

i hate the computer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
My son’s friend bought a new computer with his hard-earned money and the tried to downgrade from windows 11 to windows 10 so he could play games. Of course the downgrade screwed everything up and in a moment of weakness I said I’d flatten it and install win 10 from scratch.

It runs much faster but now it has a hard crash and reboot that I’ve been troubleshooting for weeks now on an on-again off-again basis.

It kills me that this kid paid $1300 for a kick rear end PC that has some kind of issue that I cannot resolve and I’m bummed for him and annoyed at myself for taking this on.

Stupid computers. Stupid Agrikk.