Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
might have been worried one side or another might shoot it down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

someone woke me up from a sound sleep with a text that things are popping off in russia

before i dig blearily dig into what's the details of the situation, is this something worth waking me up for?

yes if you like history

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

someone woke me up from a sound sleep with a text that things are popping off in russia

before i dig blearily dig into what's the details of the situation, is this something worth waking me up for?

You're in for a hell of a delirious ride. poo poo is crazy.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

The internal tension between Wagner and the Russian military that’s been building since the war began has finally boiled over. Prigozhin has taken Rostov and is openly defying—and perhaps even actively fighting—the military within Russia.

Regardless of how this turns out, it will be consequential.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

wagner has rebelled and now control rostov and don't look like they want to stop

your call

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

To sum it up: the Wagner guy finally crossed the proverbial Rubicon (or the literal Don, I guess?), decided to go full blitzkreig on the motherland and is somehow still alive. He's captured Rostov, by all accounts basically without a fight, and is currently making solid progress to Moscow. How much longer this crazy train keeps going or where it ends, nobody has a drat clue right now but it sure isn't looking great for Putin at the moment.

Caros
May 14, 2008

MeinPanzer posted:

The situation is complex, but Prigozhin is basically best understood as a warlord. He performed a service for Putin by creating a mercenary arm of the military that could do a lot of dirty work for the regime and for it he was rewarded with a considerable amount of leeway in how he used those forces. Like any power player in these kinds of situations, he’d probably like to take supreme power if he could, but for now he’s using anything at his disposal to save his own hide.
Prigozhin has been butting heads with Shoigu and the top brass basically since the war began, but a few things have changed recently:

1) the only real notable Russian advance in Ukraine, the strategically insignificant victory over Bakhmut, was his pet project. He threw huge amounts of Wagner manpower at it.

2) He has been complaining constantly about how he can’t get enough ammunition and other supplies, and basically has been claiming that the MoD has been hamstringing Wagner because they make the rest of the army look bad.

3) There have been open conflicts between Wagner and regular army troops, particularly escalating violence by Wagner troops in an effort to take control of sectors and materiel.

This all undoubtedly led to:

4) Putin moving over the last couple of months to fold Wagner into the regular army structure. This obviously poses a huge threat to Prigozhin, who is now touting himself as the true fighter for Russia. His line is basically, “Wagner has achieved victory in Bakhmut! See what we can do if we aren’t hamstrung by the corrupt thugs at the top? The war was compromised from the beginning by my enemies, but now I can eliminate them and restore glory to Russia.”

To add to this slightly, #4 seems to have made this the huge put up or shut up for Prigozhin.

Prigozhin is in a sort of 'fall of the republic' roman position. He has a fairly big army of people who are loyal to him above the nominal state they serve. This give him power and most importantly, protection. A bunch of the other power players like Shoigu look at him and see the danger (both to the state, and to their own attempt at becoming the right hand man, obvious successor when Putin croaks) and they decided to cut him off at the knees by forcing Wagner into the MoD. This not only risks Prigozhin's path to power, but almost certainly his actual safety. If he gets stripped of Wagner, then the low end risk is that he gets convicted of some trumped up charges and goes to prison. Worst case is he falls out a window like a common journalist, or 'murder-suicides' his whole family like a couple other recent oligarchs.

The cutoff for the integration was (I believe) end of the month. So it is flee the country, consign yourself to prison/death, or do a coup.

I'll be honest though, I didn't see 'do a coup' being the option he went with.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
well gently caress, like the one day in the last month i go out on the town instead of religiously following this thread

for some reason i always assumed the conflict between prigozhin and the military was a shadow play done with the consent of putin, but the timing of this can't have been anything he signed off on

maybe it's the sleep and the alcohol talking but it feels like the i sense the ghosts of tsushima and 1905 in the air

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder if this is a gimmick or legitimate mental illness?

Yes, the warlord Prigozhin has nukes now. I'm sorry, Willow.

Can we sneak Willow under the Kerch bridge in a mini-sub? Like a "putting Lenin on a train" kind of thing.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Jun 24, 2023

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
How hath the mighty Russian Army fallen. From the defense at Stalingrad to being held up by a bunch of mercenaries. Stalin is rolling in his grave (and is still trying to figure a way to break out of his grave to shoot ALL the generals. Wagner? Russian? They all get shot.)

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

A lot of this crazy poo poo is easier to understand if you have had the "what's the penalty for being late? What's the penalty for treason?" skit explained to you

And that says a lot for this cool zone farce of modernity we live in lol

Emsee
Jun 17, 2005
Hmm...
Thanks for the follow up.

MeinPanzer posted:

This all undoubtedly led to:

4) Putin moving over the last couple of months to fold Wagner into the regular army structure. This obviously poses a huge threat to Prigozhin, who is now touting himself as the true fighter for Russia. His line is basically, “Wagner has achieved victory in Bakhmut! See what we can do if we aren’t hamstrung by the corrupt thugs at the top? The war was compromised from the beginning by my enemies, but now I can eliminate them and restore glory to Russia.”

So the minimum he wants to achieve is to maintain his power and influence by keeping Wagner his own independent force. But if he hits the jackpot and everything comes up Prigozhin, he'd want to replace the MoD top brass with himself or someone in his pocket?
And as for the war, he'd basically still defer to Putin rather than push his own agenda for the moment?

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
https://twitter.com/alihashem_tv/status/1672489503208947712

offering an amnesty and asking wagner fighters to please stop isn't much of a power move.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any longform YT recaps of what’s gone on the past day or is everything still so fluid that I shouldn’t bother?

What a strange country.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Emsee posted:

And as for the war, he'd basically still defer to Putin rather than push his own agenda for the moment?

My man is moving on Moscow. It doesn't matter if his objectives are exactly what he says. This is a rebellion or coup attempt. Letting it slide is an act of extreme weakness in a society that abhors it.

Also what use has Prigozhin for Putin if he can be king? Either Prigozhin is dead or he's the unofficial ruler of Russia by the end of the week.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

yes if you like history

I don't like it, but apparently, I'm stuck living through it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I wonder if this is a gimmick or legitimate mental illness?

Yes, the warlord Prigozhin has nukes now. I'm sorry, Willow.

I have it on good authority that after Rostov, Pirgozhin's next objective is marching on Willo567's balls.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

for some reason i always assumed the conflict between prigozhin and the military was a shadow play done with the consent of putin, but the timing of this can't have been anything he signed off on

Crazy theory: the "coup" is manufactured, the special military operation is actually near a breaking point and the narrative of withdrawing from most of Ukraine due to a crisis at home is more palatable than the narrative of being defeated outright by the Ukrainians

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Staluigi posted:

A lot of this crazy poo poo is easier to understand if you have had the "what's the penalty for being late? What's the penalty for treason?" skit explained to you

And that says a lot for this cool zone farce of modernity we live in lol

I wish I knew which goon I first heard it from, it's buried somewhere in one of the ancient history or possibly milhist threads and I've been gleefully repeating the story ever since.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Flavahbeast posted:

Crazy theory: the "coup" is manufactured, the special military operation is actually near a breaking point and the narrative of withdrawing from most of Ukraine due to a crisis at home is more palatable than the narrative of being defeated outright by the Ukrainians

Not as crazy as what's been going on today

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Flavahbeast posted:

In the early hours of the coup this might have been plausible, but there's zero loving way that Russia starts crashing helicopters and surrounding regional military HQs with tanks just for propaganda theater. Among other things that's going way, way harder than Russia ever bothers for staged events.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Well, something interesting about those helicopter crashes: according to fighter_bomber there were no fatalities among any of the crew of the three MoD helicopters downed. Pretty unusual :tinfoil:

edit: ok newer posts from fighter_bomber have amended this

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 24, 2023

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flavahbeast posted:

I mean it's an interesting idea, but what about the Russian government's performance over the past few years suggests they could pull off such a thing?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also the rebellious faction is pissed because they think Russia isn’t fighting hard enough. Nobody any side of this internal madness wants to fight Ukraine less.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 24, 2023

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Flavahbeast posted:

Theory requires believing 11-D chess machinations on the part of russia, which has spent this entire war proving that they're just doing the dumbest poo poo possible most of the time and destroying the country's future prospects

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Skippy McPants posted:

Also the rebelliousness faction is pissed because they think Russia isn’t fighting hard enough. Nobody any side of this internal madness wants to fight Ukraine less.

Lol, sounds like the February revolution, we just gotta overthrow the czar Putin and then we can actually modernize and win this war

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Chalks posted:

I disagree, the Kremlin have clearly freaked out and initiated a bunch of emergency plans - all of which look like a massive overreaction in the face of zero actual armed rebellion. They've got roadblocks around Moscow and military vehicles on the streets in response to one guy sending out a bunch of voice messages. It's kinda embarrassing if literally nothing happens, I can't imagine this is orchestrated.

Sure, but the vibes I was getting before going to bed were "wow, this feels like Turkey's coup". The one that had some very dubious timing and let Erdogan conveniently purge thousands of people from civil society under a pretext.

At this stage it seems to have gotten a little too big for that, but I maintain that the players involved should turn the Drama Dial down a bit. It's currently at 12.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

The Glumslinger posted:

Lol, sounds like the February revolution, we just gotta overthrow the czar Putin and then we can actually modernize and win this war

Sounds more like Napoleon - armies keep being sent to capture him and surrender to him instead.

— 9th March, the Anthropophagus has quitted his den

— 10th, the Corsican Ogre has landed at Cape Juan

— 11th, the Tiger has arrived at Gap

— 12th, the Monster slept at Grenoble

— 13th, the Tyrant has passed through Lyons

— 14th, the Usurper is directing his steps towards Dijon, but the brave and loyal Burgundians have risen en masse and surrounded him on all sides

— 18th, Bonaparte is only sixty leagues from the capital; he has been fortunate enough to escape the hands of his pursuers

— 19th, Bonaparte is advancing with rapid steps, but he will never enter Paris

— 20th, Napoleon will, tomorrow, be under our ramparts

— 21st, the Emperor is at Fontainbleau

— 22nd, His Imperial and Royal Majesty, yesterday evening, arrived at the Tuileries, amidst the joyful acclamations of his devoted and faithful subjects.

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

Skippy McPants posted:

Also the rebelliousness faction is pissed because they think Russia isn’t fighting hard enough. Nobody any side of this internal madness wants to fight Ukraine less.

Absolutely, but of course them being at each other's throats will, ironically, absolutely hamstring that goal. I struggle to see any outcome for this where Russia is still able to effectively wage war in Ukraine.

Well, maybe if one side quickly and decisively overcomes the other with minimal bloodshed and there are no holdouts. Fat chance of that, though.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I wish I knew which goon I first heard it from, it's buried somewhere in one of the ancient history or possibly milhist threads and I've been gleefully repeating the story ever since.

Sounds like the Dazexiang Uprising story, if that helps you find it

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

There's reports Voronezh has fallen. Putins speech has been postponed indefinitely.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Wonder if we're going to start hearing Russian TV report victories over the armed revolt, each one 50km closer to Moscow

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

acidx posted:

There's reports Voronezh has fallen. Putins speech has been postponed indefinitely.

You got a source for this, varmint?!

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

mutata posted:

You got a source for this, varmint?!

I've got a source for the first part.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1672496390486851584?t=QnH2luHGhQW-jYl9uAGL_g&s=19

(this is a bureau chief for Middle East Eye, based in Turkiye)

Edit: And for a more familiar outlet, here's an FT reporter.

https://twitter.com/SameralAtrush/status/1672496945951121410?t=7Y9D8mD3XanbwwpxAznE1g&s=19

Mirotic fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Jun 24, 2023

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

Sounds like Wagner is the originator of the claim, so grain of salt.

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1672493722217467904

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
How is Wagner supposed to operate without the army's logistics network? They still need ammo, fuel and food. Or are they literally looting army bases.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Mirotic posted:

I've got a source for the first part.

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1672496390486851584?t=QnH2luHGhQW-jYl9uAGL_g&s=19

(this is a bureau chief for Middle East Eye, based in Turkiye)

Edit: And for a more familiar outlet, here's an FT reporter.

https://twitter.com/SameralAtrush/status/1672496945951121410?t=7Y9D8mD3XanbwwpxAznE1g&s=19

Well BOY HOWDY!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

WaltherFeng posted:

How is Wagner supposed to operate without the army's logistics network? They still need ammo, fuel and food. Or are they literally looting army bases.

that's what Wagner and Anonymous Source are saying they're doing, seems like

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

acidx posted:

Sounds like Wagner is the originator of the claim, so grain of salt.

https://twitter.com/igorsushko/status/1672493722217467904

Not quite. Reuters apparently got it from a Russian security source.

Semi-related, but Putin just made his address. BBC live coverage.

Edited to add - that same page does have text reporting as well as video. Sample below. Interesting that he's not naming names, but suppose it's an attempt to suppress in some way?

Mirotic fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 24, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Tldr of putin speech from other thread: wagner group troops at large were misled and betrayed by their leaders (lol), please stop participating in Unnamed Scoundrel's rebellion, etc etc. Definitely doesn't sound like the kind of thing where Prigo has an out that doesn't involve dying, if he ever did.