Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

Sorta. You have to register a set as your appearance. It's a bit complicated to explain but it works.

Better than nothing! I'll look forward to that when I finally play the DLC one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Vermain posted:

some kind of gaiden game where you play as cid adventuring around to try and build the usual critical-to-the-last-act contraption would be kinda cool, IMO

kind of a Cide-story, then?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

kind of a Cide-story, then?

it would sadly probably be pretty mid

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019

Aramis posted:

Well... It's no mystic quest, I'll tell you that.

Reminds me, what is the worst Final Fantasy? Mystic Quest? Spirits Within? Unlimited? Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The worst Final Fantasy game is probably the meme SOP game that people assumed it was going to be from the initial trailers.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

for some reason people assumed itd be some hypermasculine jock game that hates women when its a game about how much one dude loves his friends and also ff1

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Ok gently caress I really need to play SoP apparently, I thought everyone was just saying it was good ironically.

Stranger of paradise unironically rules. appreciation for the game may be expressed in memes but at the end of the day team ninja makes great coop action games. They should get to do the gameplay for the other final fantasies

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1533841395022147584
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1547249745134886918
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1559918220672323584
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1567528366563000324
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1577312854021378048
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1595100059280224259
https://twitter.com/FinalFantasy/status/1638224212908453888

IthilionTheBrave
Sep 5, 2013
I think what I like most about that is that not only is it the same shot of Jack every time, but it's in the same bottom right corner every time.

The bottom right of every square of 4 screenshots is reserved for Jack.

IthilionTheBrave fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jun 24, 2023

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

jokes posted:

Yeah the loot is the worst thing about SOP.

It’s terrible through the main story, but once you get into the DLCs it’s quite good if you like diablolike loot systems. The game offers a huge amount of build diversity.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Can't believe they didn't even have Balthier on the gunner tweet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

ApplesandOranges posted:

Can't believe they didn't even have Balthier on the gunner tweet.

Balthier is the worst gunner in his game

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Make this the thread title imo

IthilionTheBrave posted:

I think what I like most about that is that bot only is it the same shot of Jack every time, but it's I the same bottom right corner every time.

The bottom right of every square of 4 screenshots is reserved for Jack.

Yeah it's the cherry on top

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Endorph posted:

for some reason people assumed itd be some hypermasculine jock game that hates women when its a game about how much one dude loves his friends and also ff1

You can probably word it better but there's this weird reoccurring issue where people look at a Japanese game/anime/manga and then just add all these debuffs on it so it's actually the most insanely horny thing in the world/ brutal deconstruction or diss track about whatever/ shameless rip off of [____] and then get mad about it like they were promised the best concert experience ever for 80$ and when you get there it turns out it's Fyre Festival.

Like, recent example, saw someone expecting Oshi no Ko to be a scathing condemnation of the idol industry like Brian Deer doing the bare minimum to fact check Andrew Wakefield's claims about vaccines.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jun 24, 2023

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

ImpAtom posted:

Balthier is the worst gunner in his game

Actually, he's tied with Penelo. :eng101:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

None of these are even wrong lmao. I love this.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

RareAcumen posted:

You can probably word it better but there's this weird reoccurring issue where people look at a Japanese game/anime/manga and then just add all these debuffs on it so it's actually the most insanely horny thing in the world/ brutal deconstruction or diss track about whatever/ shameless rip off of [____] and then get mad about it like they were promised the best concert experience ever for 80$ and when you get there it turns out it's Fyre Festival.

Like, recent example, saw someone expecting Oshi no Ko to be a scathing condemnation of the idol industry like Brian Deer doing the bare minimum to fact check Andrew Wakefield's claims about vaccines.

lol at that oshi no ko claim considering there's gonna be an imas collab soon

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the imas game theyre collabing with has more grounded commentary on the idol industry than oshi no ko

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

If imas isn't going to have someone murdered and reincarnated on their end of the crossover like ONK, then I can't imagine it being less grounded in comparison.

However I also do not know anything about Idolmaster so it could be a magical world where performing the choreography super charges hospitals casts magic spells that put out fires or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

oh no i mostly just meant theres a bit in shiny colors where the idols are picking up garbage as a pr thing and they go 'you ever notice how every time we have a concert a ton of flyers and cheap merch and stuff get dumped in the nearest park' and then just all kinda stare at each other and then shuffle off

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

:xd:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Square Enix owns

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Pulcinella posted:

Reminds me, what is the worst Final Fantasy? Mystic Quest? Spirits Within? Unlimited? Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring?

Mystic Quest is good and fun and breezy and has an awesome soundtrack. The rest of those I could certainly do without. Although Ehrgeiz as a Stealth Final Fantasy Game was pretty clever for the time. Should've made Cloud and Tifa the main characters of the Adventure Mode as long as they had the assets.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

mystic quest knew what it wanted to be and it succeeded at that 100%. people wanting it to be something else is on them

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I've seen gobs of people proclaim their adoration for FFMQ but never have I heard it maligned

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I thought it was poo poo when I played it years ago but I was also extremely mad that it was the only FF game released in Europe at that time

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

a cartoon duck posted:

mystic quest knew what it wanted to be and it succeeded at that 100%. people wanting it to be something else is on them

Being fair those people wanted, erroneously, for it to be FFV.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Mystic Quest is one of the best games to ever have the words Final Fantasy in front of the title.

Every time an intern leaves the Twitter computer unlocked and logged in, Koji Fox tweets stuff like this, or the ever extending Jhalmel Neck.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Mystic Quest has the same problem Secret of Evermore has in that it was erroneously misattributed to the denial of a better work (FF V and Trails of Mana) where Square were pretty content to poo poo into their hands when it came to those two games on their own terms.

The main difference was Mystic Quest was unfairly made a Black-Sheep for the imagined crime of stopping FFV-as-FFIII whilst Secret of Evermore was undeservedly elevated to anything other than the complete mistake it was in regards to Trails.

Which is to say, give Mystic Quest a try and if you find a copy of Evermore in the wild, buy it and film its destruction as contribution to the Anti shaq-fu project.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 29, 2023

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Evermore was fine imo

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Secret of Evermore was weird but awesome. There hasn’t been another game like it since.

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Secret of Evermore was weird but awesome. There hasn’t been another game like it since.

Yeah for real. It's a weird flawed gem.

Parts of it are really cool.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FF16 is epic.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not gonna lie, FF16 is flawed. There should definitely be some sort of rating system implemented outside of just Arcade Mode, the RPG elements outside of ability upgrading are so thin the game would honestly benefit if they were excised entirely, I don't love the level design, and I have some fairly minor reservations about the way it treats some characters so far.

But what it's doing well is so phenomenal so far that I feel bad even mentioning those small criticisms. It's incredibly fun.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Arist posted:

I'm not gonna lie, FF16 is flawed. There should definitely be some sort of rating system implemented outside of just Arcade Mode, the RPG elements outside of ability upgrading are so thin the game would honestly benefit if they were excised entirely, I don't love the level design, and I have some fairly minor reservations about the way it treats some characters so far.

But what it's doing well is so phenomenal so far that I feel bad even mentioning those small criticisms. It's incredibly fun.

i will say that i'm not jazzed over FFXVI ditching the RPG mechanics so thoroughly, but i also understand it's the general market trend towards action games as a whole and that SE can't afford to be overly hardheaded about it

maybe fortunes will reverse and turn based will eventually get a revival by the time FFXVII is in the cards

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Arist posted:

Absolutely agree with all these flaws, and the fact that the game is phenomenal regardless.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FF16 is epic.

It is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I do t think FF is doing it for market trends. They have more or less always done their own thing. For good or ill

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I will always appreciate FF for being willing to turn itself on its own head, often just for the fun of it, it feels like sometimes.

16 is flawed in the same way that a game like 8 is flawed. But like that game, I think 16 is gonna go down in my mind as one of the great ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

I do t think FF is doing it for market trends. They have more or less always done their own thing. For good or ill

directly from the horse's mouth:

quote:

When choosing the game's combat system, Yoshida conducted surveys within the Final Fantasy community, finding a division between fans of action-based and more traditional turn-based combat. After considering the potential impact on sales and modern gaming trends, he opted for a real-time action-based battle system. Yoshida admitted that this approach alongside other gameplay decisions risked polarizing series fans, but believed that trying to please every fan by incorporating every element possible would "run the risk of creating a half-baked compromise of a game".
i think it was the right decision, but it's unfortunate seeing turn based stuff becoming the sole purview of, like, draque and a host of indie titles these days