Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fatherboxx)

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Little bro really thinks he's cooking.

E: Wrong thread, unless it's actually the right thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Nenonen posted:

As for air support... do valkyries count??

Hot wings

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

khwarezm posted:

I truly believe that the Chinese have been pulling their hair out for the last 18 months at Putin's stalwart determination to make everything more difficult for them than it needs to be. I don't seriously think that Chinese policymakers perceived any advantage for them with the war in the first place and now the prospect of it turning into an attempted coup or worse an outright civil war for their largest neighbour is turning into the worst possible outcome.

My biggest fear is China deploying "peacekeeping troops" in Siberia, once the Russian civil war starts, and claiming another huge swat of natural resources.

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

OperaMouse posted:

My biggest fear is China deploying "peacekeeping troops" in Siberia, once the Russian civil war starts, and claiming another huge swat of natural resources.

What? Impossible. If there's one thing China cares about, it is respecting the territory of sovereign nations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

OperaMouse posted:

Its going to be a massive land grab for everyone when Russia collapses.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Paladinus posted:

Little bro really thinks he's cooking.

E: Wrong thread, unless it's actually the right thread.

It's the right thread

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

The title should be just chef's kiss.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Autisanal Cheese posted:

What? Impossible. If there's one thing China cares about, it is respecting the territory of sovereign nations.

I am sure they can find information on how it was legal territory of China under some dynasty 6000 years ago or so (and some border areas were Chinese a lot more recent, IIRC).

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

happyhippy posted:

Its going to be a massive land grab for everyone when Russia collapses.

Finland all quietly rolling into some old borders like yeah I know there's not much going on over here now but it's the principle of the thing u know

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Morrow posted:

Armed rebellions run on dunkin':

https://twitter.com/anneapplebaum/status/1672493492579303424

Actual content tweet, it appears there's some sluggish response in Russia because everyone was out drinking.

https://twitter.com/ChrisO_wiki/status/1672500874113949696

On my imperfect understanding and experiences of Russia

lmao yeah everyone was definitely out boozing and smells like vodka and lovely wine

this is the least surprising bit yet

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I’m thinking Prigozhin’s offer, which we learned of last month, to reveal Russian troop positions to Ukraine was legit.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

with a rebel yell she QQd posted:

The title should be just chef's kiss.

Judas chef's kiss.

with a rebel yell she QQd
Jan 18, 2007

Villain

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

On my imperfect understanding and experiences of Russia

lmao yeah everyone was definitely out boozing and smells like vodka and lovely wine

this is the least surprising bit yet

Also it is prom time in Russia. My friends have been out celebrating their children's prom last night. Also this is why you could see some girls standing around with buckets of flowers between tanks in Rostov on the first images.

Paladinus posted:

Judas chef's kiss.

This one here please.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

Nenonen posted:

Prigozhin claimed in his TG manifesto that he had 25000 men under him, but there's no telling how truthful that is.

from the WH in December (full disclosure i got this via wikipedia)

https://www.defenseone.com/threats/2022/12/the-d-brief-december-22-2022/381241/

quote:

Russia is also “recruiting prisoners with serious medical conditions” for its occupation force inside Ukraine, particularly for the Wagner mercenary group operating near the contested eastern city of Bakhmut, White House National Security Council Coordinator for Strategic Communications John Kirby told reporters Thursday. “And in certain places, Russian forces are subordinate to Wagner’s command.”

Update: Wagner has an estimated 50,000 personnel inside Ukraine, Kirby said; that includes 10,000 contractors and 40,000 convicts recruited from prisons. And by now, this is no surprise since Russia has faced setback after setback since September or so when towns around Kharkiv and Kherson were liberated by Ukrainian troops, Kirby said.

who knows how many of these people are still alive/not deserted 6 months later though

Nuclear Spoon fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jun 24, 2023

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
If it happens, something about crossing the Oka?

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1672573439683567616

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

OperaMouse posted:

Let's be clear. Since they hilariously failed to take the capital and were sanctioned to hell Russia is a resource colony of China now. They just don't know it yet.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Nelson Mandingo posted:

All of the soldiers who could stop him are locked up in Ukraine though.

nah

in addition to the army units stationed in the moscow area, putin has also his guard

Ginger Beer Belly
Aug 18, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Cry havoc and let slip the hot dogs of war.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1672575623670185985

quote:

"Why is the country supporting us? Because we went with a March for Justice. We were hit, first with artillery, then with helicopters. We went without a single round fired, we didn’t touch a single conscript. We didn’t kill a single person on our way.

We were attacked by aviation, helis, planes, but we reached Rostov. Without a single round, we captured the building of the HQs. We didn’t interfere with the work of a single person.

On the streets, people are unfurling flags of PMC Wagner. In shops, when guys go there, people ask to pay for them as they want to do something good.

Words of compliments are voiced. And another thing. In media, information about certain “mine barriers” are spread. When we came here, we removed these mine barriers from the adjacent building of the HQs, in the morning. It was poorly placed. It was just an unprofessional, not useful idea. So we removed this mine barrier."

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
What’s the over/under on Kadyrov using this to get out from under Putin’s thumb?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ChubbyChecker posted:

nah

in addition to the army units stationed in the moscow area, putin has also his guard

The army units from Moscow area are in Ukraine (major portions are 6ft under). Yeah, the FSO/preatorians are indeed still around, and might indeed be relevant, but who knows what they'll do.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The AngloZ chud grifters woke up this morning to the news that their paychecks might not be coming this week...
https://twitter.com/jabuttee/status/1672409394594693121?t=gWg1_DNGl03rs7MUtiZX6Q&s=19
https://twitter.com/DrewPavlou/status/1672452310344282112?t=fR_T5pTIV-hmp9Hqs7Pwzg&s=19
https://twitter.com/XenofolkZuchri/status/1672495261158084609?t=p6PSRCyWvTm7LPympLUpAg&s=19

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

OddObserver posted:

I am sure they can find information on how it was legal territory of China under some dynasty 6000 years ago or so (and some border areas were Chinese a lot more recent, IIRC).

You don't need to go anywhere near as far back as 6000 years, the current border between Manchuria and the far south east of Russia was set in a couple of treaties in 1858 and 1860, prior to that the Qing Dynasty controlled a much larger territory of Manchuria that would entail basically all of the major population centres in that part of Russia today like Vladivostok and Khabarovsk, as well as Russia's most important Pacific access and some of the best arable land in the Russian far east.

The Russians essentially exploited the existential crisis that the Qing dynasty was going through with the Taiping rebellion and others to force them to cede vast amounts of territory. This has actually been a major bugbear among a lot of people in China who consider the treaty of Aigun and Beijing to be last remaining 'unequal treaties' from that era of exploitation by European imperialists and the one where China lost the most. The Sino-Soviet crisis seems to have been heavily influenced by Chinese resentment of this settlement and the two countries tethered on the edge of war as Mao was talking about how horrible an injustice this was and how it was crucially important that China defend its interests in the north even if its just some tiny island in the Amur river.

Now I don't seriously think that the Chinese are going to go on a land grab and try to seize a city as crucial as Vladivostok, but it is something that is always an undercurrent in Russian and Chinese relations and a source of subtle and not so subtle tension.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

From Meduza:

quote:

Residents of Moscow and the Moscow region have reported receiving calls from unfamiliar numbers with messages from Wagner Group, according to journalist Farida Rustamova.

One person said the caller played the recording of Yevgeny Prigozhin’s statement in which the mercenary leader vowed to “restore justice.”

Another person heard a message from a “robotic male voice” that suggested he join Wagner Group and claimed its units were advancing on Moscow.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/belwarriors/status/1672570698156449793

...well, I suppose there is another country Russia has some troops in.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

:piss:

e: honestly the fact that Wagner appears to have just taken some strategically critical areas with little to no resistance seems like a fatal blow to Putin's authority even if he's ultimately able to crush Wagner and restore control. Plus, while the current situation may not have directly impacted the front lines, isn't Putin going to have to withdraw troops from Ukraine if he wants to actually put down this rebellion? I doubt his riot police are going to be able to beat tanks.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 24, 2023

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

OddObserver posted:

The army units from Moscow area are in Ukraine (major portions are 6ft under). Yeah, the FSO/preatorians are indeed still around, and might indeed be relevant, but who knows what they'll do.

many of the moscow units have suffered casualties and have been rebuilt to some unknown degree, and they aren't all sent to ukraine

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Insider UA says wagner have opened up the prisons in the city of Rostov and recruiting inmates to go conquer Moscow

⚡️Бойцы ЧВК "Вагнер" массово выпускают зэков из тюрем Ростова, чтобы те вступили в их ряды и вместе с ними шли на Москву, — росСМИ

Инсайдер UA | Подписаться

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

Rust Martialis posted:

War in Ukraine CE: Wag(ner) the Dog
War in Ukraine CE: Really Take the Capital in 3 Days This Time
War in Ukraine CE: Special Culinary Operation

The Oracle of Delphi told Putin a great capital would fall in 3 days

Dog Friday
Feb 22, 2006
So we don't want Wagner to win and we don't like Putin either... What's the best outcome from all this?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Dog Friday posted:

So we don't want Wagner to win and we don't like Putin either... What's the best outcome from all this?

there isnt one really

deathbysnusnu
Feb 25, 2016

Dog Friday posted:

No good outcome with regard to russian leadership best case is putin barely holds to power. with regard to the war russia bleeds itself giving ukraine the opportunity to redraw the boarders to pre crimean invasion.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

Dog Friday posted:

For Ukraine? Civil war that forces Russia to retreat and Ukraine to take everything back

For Ukraine and Russia? Quick series of coups that results in a real democracy while Ukraine gets its territory back

The second is not very likely, but the first isn't out of the question at this point.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Staluigi posted:

A lot of this crazy poo poo is easier to understand if you have had the "what's the penalty for being late? What's the penalty for treason?" skit explained to you

And that says a lot for this cool zone farce of modernity we live in lol

this is somewhat late, but it was an actual historical event not just a meme: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_Sheng_and_Wu_Guang_uprising

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dog Friday posted:

Wagner defeats Putin loyalists but is weakened that a third faction wipes them out.

Or they can't hold Russia together and various oblasts start breaking away.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Dog Friday posted:

Thoughts and prayers for collapse and splintering of russian federation

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Dog Friday posted:

Putin winning but at such cost to Russian military they are forced to retreat from Ukraine.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/MarkHertling/status/1672576319085858816

quote:

There's certainly lots going on w/ Prigozhin, Wagner, Shoigu, Gerasimov, and, of course, Putin. There's is a criiminal enterprise.

But suggesting that's will radically affect the front lines in Ukraine fails to consider other factors.

Here's why: 1/3

-Russian mines & other obstacles are still in the ground.
-Russian troops are still in defensive positions & they likely don't know what's going on.
-Yes, Russian forces are moving - reinforcing holes left by Wagner - but it will take UAF time to determine the new weak spots. 2/3

The actions are causing chaos in Russia, but UAF must remain professional to prevent unnecessary Ukrainian casualties.

All is good right now for Ukraine. Not so much for Russia.

Today will be interesting. 3/3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sekenr posted:

Insider UA says wagner have opened up the prisons in the city of Rostov and recruiting inmates to go conquer Moscow

⚡️Бойцы ЧВК "Вагнер" массово выпускают зэков из тюрем Ростова, чтобы те вступили в их ряды и вместе с ними шли на Москву, — росСМИ

Инсайдер UA | Подписаться

I suspect this might be Russian media trying to discredit Prigozhin. But who the gently caress knows anymore.